Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not A QB Problem But WR

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

Re: Not A QB Problem But WR

Rudolph is far from perfect and he is off target a bit. Also seems really tentative to push the ball down the field. A little gun shy it appears.
    Lots of drops today and NFL WRs and TEs should catch it if they get their hands on it, but Rudolph seems to drill even the short touch passes, which doesn't help with the drops.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

JUJU is our #1 he is 22 years old going on 18 years old mentally. meaning he still has this boyish attitude towards the game. like yay im having fun lets all have fun...we need a Bully in our receiver corps.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Ranking the skill positions Sunday:

1) QB
    2) WR
    3) RB

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I still do not understand why we didn’t get Josh Gordon off waivers. If ever there was a low risk, high reward move it was that one. We were the perfect team for him to contribute and reinvent himself.

He made impactful catches for Seattle, and is only going to get more involved in their offense. And for them, he’s a luxury. For us, he’s a big, fast, redzone threat who would take SO much pressure of Juju.

And no... I do NOT buy that Gordon is any type of locker room cancer. That was never his problem. He’s not a diva. He wouldn’t be a problem for anyone. If he ended up not being reliable that’s the absolute WORST case scenario.

I know there are tea totelers that think smoking weed is a sin. No. It’s against the rules. That’s it. It’s not a locker room or chemistry problem. He would either contribute or he wouldn’t, but he would not hurt the locker room any more than Moncrief did by turning out to be a bad investment.

He’s gonna end up contributing to Seattle, and they don’t even need him really. I think the coaching staff and managers were straight up cowards by not taking him. They were worried about perception. Which makes me angry at fans that would have been all up in arms over it.

Those two clutch catches for Seattle were already enough to justify the pick up. And you know he’s not done contributing.

Sorry, but I’m really annoyed by the stupid “locker room” blah blah blah mentality that is such utter bullshit in my mind.

There is absolutely zero chance that Josh Gordon’s presence in the locker room would EVER turn a potential win into a loss. But his presence on the field COULD turn a loss into a win.

At almost NO risk.

So unless you feel that our WR unit is way too good to mess with, I absolutely reject the notion that Gordon could have possibly made this team worse.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    cut...
    That's very easy.

He's been suspended how many times? For what? The Steelers have had enough of that type of behavior. They just cleared the locker room. Why would you want to bring something like that back in? And no, this is not a post saying he's a locker room cancer. It's a post saying they're done with distractions. They're not going to bring in another potential one. (Oh, and by the way. Pot is more than against the rules. It's still against the law in many states and also against federal law. People still seem to forget about that).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The problem with Josh Gordon is that he doesn't fit the Steelers offense. He actually would be a FAR better fit with Ben R than Mason R. Gordon doesn't really run great or precise routes. He uses his monster size to simply find open space and rip the ball down over a defender. That isn't really a good match for a rookie QB who is not yet improvising. That is what would make Gordon a monster with Ben -- the two of them on the scramble drill would be ridiculous. And he will likely find success in Seattle.

But Josh "Flash" Gordon is still dining out on ONE good year. Now that year was absolutely amazing, but still. It was six years ago and Gordon is simply not that good anymore. His physical skills have eroded and he hasn't made much progress as a technician at the position.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

I still do not understand why we didn’t get Josh Gordon off waivers. If ever there was a low risk, high reward move it was that one. We were the perfect team for him to contribute and reinvent himself.

He made impactful catches for Seattle, and is only going to get more involved in their offense. And for them, he’s a luxury. For us, he’s a big, fast, redzone threat who would take SO much pressure of Juju.

And no... I do NOT buy that Gordon is any type of locker room cancer. That was never his problem. He’s not a diva. He wouldn’t be a problem for anyone. If he ended up not being reliable that’s the absolute WORST case scenario.

I know there are tea totelers that think smoking weed is a sin. No. It’s against the rules. That’s it. It’s not a locker room or chemistry problem. He would either contribute or he wouldn’t, but he would not hurt the locker room any more than Moncrief did by turning out to be a bad investment.

He’s gonna end up contributing to Seattle, and they don’t even need him really. I think the coaching staff and managers were straight up cowards by not taking him. They were worried about perception. Which makes me angry at fans that would have been all up in arms over it.

Those two clutch catches for Seattle were already enough to justify the pick up. And you know he’s not done contributing.

Sorry, but I’m really annoyed by the stupid “locker room” blah blah blah mentality that is such utter bullshit in my mind.

There is absolutely zero chance that Josh Gordon’s presence in the locker room would EVER turn a potential win into a loss. But his presence on the field COULD turn a loss into a win.

At almost NO risk.

So unless you feel that our WR unit is way too good to mess with, I absolutely reject the notion that Gordon could have possibly made this team worse.
    Looks like lockett may be done. They are going to need Gordon now. If it means anything I agree he was a no risk all reward pick-up. Colbert has done a great job this year. But that is probably a Miss

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The problem with Josh Gordon is that he doesn't fit the Steelers offense. He actually would be a FAR better fit with Ben R than Mason R. Gordon doesn't really run great or precise routes. He uses his monster size to simply find open space and rip the ball down over a defender. That isn't really a good match for a rookie QB who is not yet improvising. That is what would make Gordon a monster with Ben -- the two of them on the scramble drill would be ridiculous. And he will likely find success in Seattle.

But Josh "Flash" Gordon is still dining out on ONE good year. Now that year was absolutely amazing, but still. It was six years ago and Gordon is simply not that good anymore. His physical skills have eroded and he hasn't made much progress as a technician at the position.
    Everyone keeps saying we need a vertical threat that can make contested catches, as well as a big red zone threat. Of course he’d be more productive with Ben, no question. But a guy who can go deep and outfight a corner for a jump ball is any quarterbacks friend.

We have the route runners in Juju and D. Johnson. We can always use a big strong red zone guy.

Plus he doesn’t have to do much to be worth it. It wouldn’t have been a risk. Worst case scenario he contributes just a little more than Switzer. Lol

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Everyone keeps saying we need a vertical threat that can make contested catches, as well as a big red zone threat. Of course he’d be more productive with Ben, no question. But a guy who can go deep and outfight a corner for a jump ball is any quarterbacks friend.

We have the route runners in Juju and D. Johnson. We can always use a big strong red zone guy.

Plus he doesn’t have to do much to be worth it. It wouldn’t have been a risk. Worst case scenario he contributes just a little more than Switzer. Lol
    You've convinced me.

At this point I have to wonder why they haven't "churned" the roster with Holton and Switzer? I think months ago someone mentioned that they heard DHB was the source of several anonymous locker room comments past few years. Honestly, only reason I can think not to swap him and Holton.

Every week, some other NFL team lets a WR go due to roster issues for injury or whatever. Why anyone, literally anyone, hasn't been brought in is a great mystery to me.

So, on second thought --- why not Gordon?

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    That's very easy.

He's been suspended how many times? For what? The Steelers have had enough of that type of behavior. They just cleared the locker room. Why would you want to bring something like that back in? And no, this is not a post saying he's a locker room cancer. It's a post saying they're done with distractions. They're not going to bring in another potential one. (Oh, and by the way. Pot is more than against the rules. It's still against the law in many states and also against federal law. People still seem to forget about that).

Who would he distract? In what way? Would he distract Rudolph into throwing it badly? Would he distract a fellow WR into taking his eyes off the ball?

Or do you just mean some reporters might ask a few extra questions? And Tomlin would answer them. And move on to football.

Is Gordon a distraction in Seattle? Or did he simply catch two clutch receptions that contributed to a win?

And it doesn’t matter if it’s illegal or not. I concede that he’s not allowed to do it anymore. We’ve allowed woman beaters, and dog torturers onto this team. Perhaps you could argue that those things are evil and should trump football. A guy smoked weed is not evil, regardless of the law. And it’s a law that will be gone one day completely. Sodomy was once illegal. They can pass all the stupid laws they want. All that matters in this context is that he isn’t allowed to do it. We’ve had guys who’ve been suspended for steroids. Once they serve their suspension theirs no talk about them being a locker room problem or a distraction.

He would distract absolutely no one that matters. Not a single player would be distracted by anything he used to do. And if we have such a fragile player... THAT’S the guy I’d be worried about.

“You used to smoke weed? I’m so distracted, I can’t play football! Ahh!”

By all means, get rid of any player who loses his focus over such things. That guy is a walking time bomb.

And if he ever breaks that rule again... he’d be gone. That’s the only risk. But he’s not expensive. And I’ll bet ANYTHING that he’d contribute more than Moncrief ever did while he was here.

So far in Seattle he has contributed to a win. And there’s no evidence that he’s distracted a single player into being worse at football. Do you think we will eventually distract his fellow players into playing worse? And if he does, you cut him. He’s already done more to earn his money than Moncrief ever did.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Every week, I’d bring in a new WR... until they find someone better than Switzer. It shouldn’t be too difficult to replace him.

I understand that “consistency” is important on special teams & such, but Switzer “consistently” does nothing with the ball. Worse yet: last week, he nearly cost us the game. He fielded that punt at the 5. WTF!?! It led to a safety and a lot of stressful moments at the end of the game.

Bring back Gary Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Every week, I’d bring in a new WR... until they find someone better than Switzer. It shouldn’t be too difficult to replace him.

I understand that “consistency” is important on special teams & such, but Switzer “consistently” does nothing with the ball. Worse yet: last week, he nearly cost us the game. He fielded that punt at the 5. WTF!?! It led to a safety and a lot of stressful moments at the end of the game.

Bring back Gary Russell.
    Isn’t Switzer injured? There’s probably no way he’ll play on a short week. So they only have four active WRs. Do we have any WRs on the practice squad? Or will we be forced to bring someone in.

I’ve asked this before, but I don’t think anyone answered: what about Eli Rogers? He was cut because he was kind of redundant with Switzer, but now he seems like the more reliable option. He’s a pretty solid pass catcher who runs good routes out of the slot, and he already knows the play book. Seems like he could be an asset for Rudolph. Assuming he’s healthy.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Isn’t Switzer injured? There’s probably no way he’ll play on a short week. So they only have four active WRs. Do we have any WRs on the practice squad? Or will we be forced to bring someone in.

I’ve asked this before, but I don’t think anyone answered: what about Eli Rogers? He was cut because he was kind of redundant with Switzer, but now he seems like the more reliable option. He’s a pretty solid pass catcher who runs good routes out of the slot, and he already knows the play book. Seems like he could be an asset for Rudolph. Assuming he’s healthy.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Rogers, I've wondered that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I'm not sure what the deal is with Rogers, I've wondered that myself.
    Something must be up. He hasn't resurfaced in Pittsburgh or anywhere else in the NFL. Does anyone honestly believe there are 150 better WRs in the entire league than Eli Rogers?

Something must be up. He hasn't resurfaced in Pittsburgh or anywhere else in the NFL. Does anyone honestly believe there are 150 better WRs in the entire league than Eli Rogers?
    I know that a couple teams worked him out this year, but I’m
    not sure why he wasn’t signed.

The most recent thing I could find was the Texans brought in Rogers and JJ Nelson for work outs 3 weeks ago. As far as I know Rodgers isn’t hurt or anything. So who knows why teams are passing on him.

But then, I think we should value him more than others do because he knows our system... and we’re kind of desperate at this point.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

No, there aren't 150 better WRs.

There must be something we don't know about, because if there wasn't another issue...he'd be on an NFL roster.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

SWITZER:
    Yes, he is injured... thank goodness.

ROGERS:
    Supposedly, he & DHB were leaking info to the press about the locker room. Teams don’t like that kind of stuff.

That said, he’d be the instant upgrade that we need (as long as he keeps quiet).

SWITZER:
    Yes, he is injured... thank goodness.

ROGERS:
    Supposedly, he & DHB were leaking info to the press about the locker room. Teams don’t like that kind of stuff.

That said, he’d be the instant upgrade that we need (as long as he keeps quiet).
    Oh, seriously? I heard that rumor about DHB but this is the first I’m hearing that about ER.

Did you read that somewhere?

Oh, seriously? I heard that rumor about DHB but this is the first I’m hearing that about ER.

Did you read that somewhere?
    I read it (somewhere) during the AB stuff... about how the Steelers were “cleaning house” of the distractions: AB, Bell, DHB, & Rogers.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I read it (somewhere) during the AB stuff... about how the Steelers were “cleaning house” of the distractions: AB, Bell, DHB, & Rogers.
    I think I remember seeing the same and I believe it was talked about here as well. Still doesn’t explain why other teams won’t take a chance in him...I mean NE is in dire need of WRs...same with Philly and Seattle. If he’s got anything left in the tank, someone would’ve signed him...even Miami or Cincinnati...no?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I'm not sure what Eli has left. His last good season was 2016. 2017 he went to the doghouse and lost his spot to Juju and even to Justin Hunter. 2018 was a wash due to injury.

But, then the Steelers signed him to a new contract in March 2019.

Then he gets cut during the final round of cuts for preseason.

Strange

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I'm not sure what Eli has left. His last good season was 2016. 2017 he went to the doghouse and lost his spot to Juju and even to Justin Hunter. 2018 was a wash due to injury.

But, then the Steelers signed him to a new contract in March 2019.

Then he gets cut during the final round of cuts for preseason.

Strange
    Yeah, it is weird. If he were part of a “cleaning house” movement you’d think he’d have been cut sooner. He was in the mix until the end.

But there’s obviously SOMETHING that’s preventing us, and every other team, from signing him.

Browns released Antonio Callaway.

Is he maybe better than Tevin Jones? Or are we just done with anyone named Antonio?

- - - Updated - - -

Browns released Antonio Callaway.

Is he maybe better than Tevin Jones? Or are we just done with anyone named Antonio?
    Ah, nevermind on this guy. He has major character issues and squandered his opportunities. Not worth it.