Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Minkah Fitzpatrick

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Minkah Fitzpatrick

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I read or heard somewhere that Minkah already was telling his teammates where to be in certain formations in the first or second game he played w/the Steelers.

Also, notice there are no "communication breakdowns" in the secondary like we've seen the past few years.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I read or heard somewhere that Minkah already was telling his teammates where to be in certain formations in the first or second game he played w/the Steelers.

Also, notice there are no "communication breakdowns" in the secondary like we've seen the past few years.

Not a good look for Sean Davis.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

THAT was why Ryan Clark was so amazing. He got everyone on the same page. We had something like 6 deep passes total against us during Ryan Clark's entire career with the Steelers.

Minkah has that... plus, the ability to make the splash play.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Agreed on all points. The onlydrawback to it is that several people have made convincing arguments that forcing fumbles is a skill, but recovering is all luck. But that is a problem for a future Steelers team. I'm just going to enjoy having a ballhawking defense for a few more weeks.

The one thing I have noticed is that, and maybe this is where Austin comes in, every single defender is going for the punch or rip on the ball every single time, but they are also tackling. It isn't an either or thing like it has been in the past. Nelson is really good at it. He seems to be able to punch the ball and wrap up his man.
    Yep. In the past, I've seen them go for the strip, but then allow the offensive player to break free. This season, they are wrapping... and then stripping the ball.

Nelson wrapping his arms around the TE's legs not allowing the TE to get a first down was a huge play. It seemed like a simple thing, but a 200 pound guy stopping a 265 pound guy for no gain was an amazing play. Had a second player been close by, I'm sure that there would have been a strip... because, the TE was so focused on trying to get out of Nelson's grasp.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Yep. In the past, I've seen them go for the strip, but then allow the offensive player to break free. This season, they are wrapping... and then stripping the ball.

Nelson wrapping his arms around the TE's legs not allowing the TE to get a first down was a huge play. It seemed like a simple thing, but a 200 pound guy stopping a 265 pound guy for no gain was an amazing play. Had a second player been close by, I'm sure that there would have been a strip... because, the TE was so focused on trying to get out of Nelson's grasp.
    While not as important as the additions of Bush and MF to the defense, Nelson should get more credit/talk.

Simply not being Burns of Sensabaugh would be an improvement and allow the team to do more things schematically but on top of that he has been really really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    While not as important as the additions of Bush and MF to the defense, Nelson should get more credit/talk.

Simply not being Burns of Sensabaugh would be an improvement and allow the team to do more things schematically but on top of that he has been really really good.
    Nelson is heady... and talented.

Much like Minkah.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Minkah Fitzpatrick

Minkah is always around the ball. There was one play yesterday that, I think, was incomplete and while everyone was standing there, Minkah ran in and picked the ball up...it didn’t look like the play was dead but he was one of the only people to react. It’s not all luck when this guy catches a tipped pass or recovers a fumble. He’s putting himself around the ball for the opportunity at that “luck”.

And yes...Nelson, who is often forgotten, is playing solid!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Minkah is always around the ball. There was one play yesterday that, I think, was incomplete and while everyone was standing there, Minkah ran in and picked the ball up...it didn’t look like the play was dead but he was one of the only people to react. It’s not all luck when this guy catches a tipped pass or recovers a fumble. He’s putting himself around the ball for the opportunity at that “luck”.

And yes...Nelson, who is often forgotten, is playing solid!!
    I saw that also, Barron looked like he was standing on the corner picking his nose.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Minkah has more TDs than OBJ.

And, of course, Minkah doesn't need any endorsement from Tomlin.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Minkah has more TDs than OBJ.

And, of course, Minkah doesn't need any endorsement from Tomlin.
    I’m almost certain that Minkah “doesn’t live in his fears”!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

There is a great 2 man ball strip drill in this video and dozens more that can be done. I don't know what is different from this season and seasons past in the way of this kind of practice and JUGS machine use with the defense, but if you practice them enough, they become habit forming and IMO they result in turnovers. All the secondary has a nose for the football, but if they practice scheme and tackling, but don't do as much in the way of turnover drills, I believe you lose that edge. Hope they keep up the takeways.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

THAT was why Ryan Clark was so amazing. He got everyone on the same page. We had something like 6 deep passes total against us during Ryan Clark's entire career with the Steelers.

Minkah has that... plus, the ability to make the splash play.

Ryan Clark, with all due respect to Mean Joe and Dracula, was also the hardest hitting Steeler of all time.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Ryan Clark, with all due respect to Mean Joe and Dracula, was also the hardest hitting Steeler of all time.
    Great player, honestly the evolving NFL rules starting making him a liability later in his career. In an earlier era he would have been a star player

Donnie Shell was no slouch. He broke Earl Campbell's ribs and "Skoal Bruthah" was no small man.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Donnie Shell was no slouch. He broke Earl Campbell's ribs and "Skoal Bruthah" was no small man.
    Very true, but I think guys like Ronnie Lott, Ken Easley, Jack Tatum, Steve Atwater were all bigger hitters than Shell. I also think Ryan Clark is kind of in that Rodney Harrison, Brian Dawkins class of S that were hitters, although I think those 2 guys were bigger than him.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Another factor for that of course might be swapping out Burns for Nelson

But in terms of swapping out Sean Davis (who the Steelers apparently never made a serious effort to sign going into the last year of his rookie contract) for Minkah the upgrade by any measure is astonishingly great

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Very true, but I think guys like Ronnie Lott, Ken Easley, Jack Tatum, Steve Atwater were all bigger hitters than Shell. I also think Ryan Clark is kind of in that Rodney Harrison, Brian Dawkins class of S that were hitters, although I think those 2 guys were bigger than him.
    Ken Easley is from my area so I'm a homer for him. Loved Lott. Tatum (w/Atkinson) were assassins on the field. If they played today, they'd be thrown in jail and their fines would pay for a new stadium in Oakland and a haircut for Mark Davis

So true, the safety play of the 1980's and 90's would get guys kicked out of the league today. For fun, look up Brandon DeWilde from the movie Shane. I think that is who Mark Davis models his haircut after.

So true, the safety play of the 1980's and 90's would get guys kicked out of the league today. For fun, look up Brandon DeWilde from the movie Shane. I think that is who Mark Davis models his haircut after.
    Man, it's been years since I saw Shane. Had to google an image of the kid. Ironically he has the haircut of Davis but could pass for a little Chucky lol

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Thank you Miami for horribly mismanaging him and making him want to leave. I refuse to compare him to Troy for at least another few years, but I will say I haven't seen safety play this good since Troy was in his prime
    Apples and oranges. Minkah's a FS while Troy played SS. The comparison to Ed Reed is a good one as a ball-hawking center fielder. That was never what Troy did or was asked to do. He was the guy to put your lights out when the ball arrived like Ronnie Lott used to do.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    Apples and oranges. Minkah's a FS while Troy played SS. The comparison to Ed Reed is a good one as a ball-hawking center fielder. That was never what Troy did or was asked to do. He was the guy to put your lights out when the ball arrived like Ronnie Lott used to do.
    I'll take an Ed Reed any day of the week, or any year of the century for that matter

They do have a striking similarity in the sense that they just seem to be in the right place at the right time. A lot of it seemed lucky, but honestly, when it happens with that frequency it can't be luck.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    Not comparing role, I'm just comparing impact regardless of free or strong safety. The last time a safety elevated the defense like this was Troy's prime

The kid is playing at a pro bowl level right now. Great trade. I'd say that Earl Thomas is getting old and Fitzpatrick is playing as good or better as Eric Weddle ever did. He and Adams in New York might be the best young safeties in the game. Put Malik Hooker in the conversation too.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The kid is playing at a pro bowl level right now. Great trade. I'd say that Earl Thomas is getting old and Fitzpatrick is playing as good or better as Eric Weddle ever did. He and Adams in New York might be the best young safeties in the game. Put Malik Hooker in the conversation too.
    Spot on. I would throw Derwin James in there as well if he can get back from injury with no lingering impact.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Not comparing role, I'm just comparing impact regardless of free or strong safety. The last time a safety elevated the defense like this was Troy's prime
    Absolutely right. Yes, Troy played strong safety, but he defined what that actually meant. He was not simply a tackler. He often led the team in interceptions. And generally his interceptions were game changers.

But regardless of specifics, your point is that we haven’t a game changer in the secondary to this degree since we had Troy. And that’s absolutely true.

I’m not about to put Minkah in the HOF just yet, but if he keeps playing like this for an entire career, that’s exactly where he’s going.

I heard an interesting thing about Minkah from the Dolphins GM who scouted and drafted him. He said that, given Minkah’s football IQ and work ethic, he simply could NOT be a bust. No chance. By that he wasn’t talking about Minkah’s ceiling... which was the only unknown variable... but he absolutely KNEW that Minkah had a very high floor.

He said that the day that they first signed him to his rookie contract, they knew he was in the building somewhere, and they ended up finding him on the treadmill. That’s where he signed the biggest life changing contract of his life. It was his first time in NFL facility so his priority was using it to work out.

I’m sure the Steelers had already known all of this about Minkah as well, as they had heavily scouted him coming out of college. This trade was absolute no brainer.

The rest of us are now finally getting to see what the pro scouts already knew. Minkah was basically a no risk, high reward player. What we’re witnessing isn’t flukey success. Barring injury, this is what we’re gonna see from Minkah, week in and week out, for his entire career.

We absolutely scored a gem.

MFF is only 22

TJ is 25

Devin Bush is 14 (21)

Steven Nelson is 26

Terrell Edmunds is 22

Tuitt is 26

Cam Sutton is 24

Mike Hilton is 25

Javon Hargrave is 26

Bud Dupree is 26

This is a fast young defense with the old guys (Haden and Heyward) sprinkled in.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Sir, a Mr. Hines Ward on line one. He says he'd like a word with you. Also a few gentlemen in the lobby. Several linebackers as well as a Mister McNally. Shall I ask them to hold?
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I’d go All-Pro instead of just Pro Bowl.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I heard an interesting thing about Minkah from the Dolphins GM who scouted and drafted him. He said that, given Minkah’s football IQ and work ethic, he simply could NOT be a bust. No chance. By that he wasn’t talking about Minkah’s ceiling... which was the only unknown variable... but he absolutely KNEW that Minkah had a very high floor.

He said that the day that they first signed him to his rookie contract, they knew he was in the building somewhere, and they ended up finding him on the treadmill. That’s where he signed the biggest life changing contract of his life. It was his first time in NFL facility so his priority was using it to work out.
    If this is true, then why in the world did Miami let him walk? You'd think they'd do everything they could to keep him around and make him the cornerstone of a roster rebuild.

Maybe it looked like the 0-2 Steelers without Roethlisberger would be sending them a top 5 pick, but now at 5-4 that pick is looking like a 1.18 or lower. It's unbelievable. If you have a high caliber, high character, high work-ethic young talent, why oh why would you give that up for the unknown of a future draft pick?

Whatever - their loss is our gain. This may be Colbert's best and boldest move since he's been the GM. It's certainly looking like the best trade they've made since acquiring some fat tailback from the Rams in the 90's.