Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Minkah Fitzpatrick

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: Minkah Fitzpatrick

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    You missed something in my post. My argument isn't that the system now is perfect or complete. Only that the idea of them not being "paid" is far off the mark. They're getting paid a great deal. What we're talking about now is freeing up some of those funds for other areas.

Honestly, I'd have no problem with the full-ride scholarships providing players with a $250-$300 a month stipend. On the other hand, there are a whole lot of kids in college who can't afford to go to movies, eat out with friends, and so on, and they play no sports at all. Heck, I went to the theater, I think, one time when I was in college. That is, until I found a dollar theater (and I was in my last year with a smaller load so I could work). Eating out: you do realize that today, the "board" part of room and board includes restaurants and fast food all over campus, right? At the college I'm working at now, we have a nice restaurant a few blocks off the main campus (ran by business students so they can get experience. It is attached to a hotel also ran by students as part of their college training). We have 12-15 different restaurants and fast food chains on campus. And, we even have a small grocery/school items store (not a book store). EVERY ONE of those places will accept the credits students get as part of their "board" in room and board.

I never said anything about them not getting compensated with education, health care, etc... Yet you posted as if I had. I never said they don't get paid. I said they aren't allowed to earn any money while in school to pay for other things.

Now I respond to your post listing everything that comes with a scholarship, and I'm not supposed to do that because you say "Are there still legitimate needs not covered? Yes."? I didn't miss anything in your post. It's just that those eight words are a small fraction of your post that didn't really address the issue I was talking about in any way.

You are correct, the college covers a lot. There are also kids whose parents pay for their education in full. They don't have to work. They show up in BMW's, Mercedes, etc.. They get sent all the money they need to buy whatever they want and go wherever they want.

The point is that the players don't have the freedom to do any of that, even if they want to. Even if they are smart enough to do their schoolwork easily and want to be able to work to earn money. They can't do it and are forced to live under a set of rules that don't apply to anyone else. They can't afford to go on a date or go off campus for anything if it involves money. Not unless their parents can pay for it.

I feel sorry for anybody that has to work their way through college and pay for their own education. I'm not trying to diminish how hard that is to do. Then when they get out of college, they are paying down their college loans for years and sometimes decades. It sucks.

For the record, I always argue with people that say the poor athletes don't get anything for playing football. I'm with you that they get an education paid for along with the room and board, books, food, health care, etc.. I understand that. It's just time for a monthly stipend to allow football players the ability to enjoy everything that every other student can. It's time for these young men to try to learn how to manage money and how to budget for things. Then if they take any money from anybody other than their parents....it should be a major violation with no exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I never said anything about them not getting compensated with education, health care, etc... Yet you posted as if I had. I never said they don't get paid. I said they aren't allowed to earn any money while in school to pay for other things.

Now I respond to your post listing everything that comes with a scholarship, and I'm not supposed to do that because you say "Are there still legitimate needs not covered? Yes."? I didn't miss anything in your post. It's just that those eight words are a small fraction of your post that didn't really address the issue I was talking about in any way.

You are correct, the college covers a lot. There are also kids whose parents pay for their education in full. They don't have to work. They show up in BMW's, Mercedes, etc.. They get sent all the money they need to buy whatever they want and go wherever they want.

The point is that the players don't have the freedom to do any of that, even if they want to. Even if they are smart enough to do their schoolwork easily and want to be able to work to earn money. They can't do it and are forced to live under a set of rules that don't apply to anyone else. They can't afford to go on a date or go off campus for anything if it involves money. Not unless their parents can pay for it.

I feel sorry for anybody that has to work their way through college and pay for their own education. I'm not trying to diminish how hard that is to do. Then when they get out of college, they are paying down their college loans for years and sometimes decades. It sucks.

For the record, I always argue with people that say the poor athletes don't get anything for playing football. I'm with you that they get an education paid for along with the room and board, books, food, health care, etc.. I understand that. It's just time for a monthly stipend to allow football players the ability to enjoy everything that every other student can. It's time for these young men to try to learn how to manage money and how to budget for things. Then if they take any money from anybody other than their parents....it should be a major violation with no exceptions.
    Perhaps we were missing each other, so let's let that part go. The bold part of your response, I think, might be one of the strongest arguments if people actually cared about preparing these athletes for their future careers. I mean, let's face it, very few if any middle-class, working-class or lower class/poverty level kids are going to known enough about investments, or have someone in their life that knows enough about investments and banking and budgeting large amounts of money. So, design the program for that very thing.

I've wondered for quite some time now why these schools do not simply create a degree called Professional Sports. So, you get a BA in Professional Sports. Make them take a year of statistics, a couple years of biology, a couple years of economics/business classes, two classes in personal asset management, some classes in public relations, so on and so forth. That'd be very beneficial and if you don't make it as a professional, it's still applicable in a number of areas. More so than English or Political Science or History, even. Within the major you can specialize in your sport as well.

Heck, if you do that, then you can also make it so anyone in that particular program gets a school stipend much as they do with Graduate students. Only here, they're getting the stipend for sports rather than for research or teaching.

EDIT: Of course, California went completely ass backwards on this and passed the Fair Pay to Play Act. Now, students can get paid for the use of their avatars, pictures, paid to sponsor summer camps, sign endorsement deals, and so on. The school can't pay them, but the school or NCAA can't force them not to be paid by others. This is a train-wreck waiting to happen. What are they thinking is going to happen when a 19-year old gets a $50,000 endorsement deal? Let alone it being a basketball player who was the start of his team in the tournament. Much smaller team, much higher name recognition because of it. That would be six or maybe seven figures. College sports is about to into the crapper (and, many other states are following up with their own legislation).

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Perhaps we were missing each other, so let's let that part go. The bold part of your response, I think, might be one of the strongest arguments if people actually cared about preparing these athletes for their future careers. I mean, let's face it, very few if any middle-class, working-class or lower class/poverty level kids are going to known enough about investments, or have someone in their life that knows enough about investments and banking and budgeting large amounts of money. So, design the program for that very thing.

I've wondered for quite some time now why these schools do not simply create a degree called Professional Sports. So, you get a BA in Professional Sports. Make them take a year of statistics, a couple years of biology, a couple years of economics/business classes, two classes in personal asset management, some classes in public relations, so on and so forth. That'd be very beneficial and if you don't make it as a professional, it's still applicable in a number of areas. More so than English or Political Science or History, even. Within the major you can specialize in your sport as well.

Heck, if you do that, then you can also make it so anyone in that particular program gets a school stipend much as they do with Graduate students. Only here, they're getting the stipend for sports rather than for research or teaching.

EDIT: Of course, California went completely ass backwards on this and passed the Fair Pay to Play Act. Now, students can get paid for the use of their avatars, pictures, paid to sponsor summer camps, sign endorsement deals, and so on. The school can't pay them, but the school or NCAA can't force them not to be paid by others. This is a train-wreck waiting to happen. What are they thinking is going to happen when a 19-year old gets a $50,000 endorsement deal? Let alone it being a basketball player who was the start of his team in the tournament. Much smaller team, much higher name recognition because of it. That would be six or maybe seven figures. College sports is about to into the crapper (and, many other states are following up with their own legislation).

I agree with pretty much everything you state here.

The whole point of college is to prepare young men and women for real life after college. What started as a comment about a single player and a violation has obviously turned into a much deeper conversation about the state of the college athlete, and how political intervention is going to change the face of college athletics forever....and most likely not in a good way.

I also agree with you about the Fair Pay to Play Act. I don't believe that is going to benefit athletes as a whole, as much as it will the most elite athletes. It will create a divide between the athletes themselves, while simultaneously failing to prepare these athletes with the approach and the way this Act is written.

The last part of your post may be the worst. I still contend that California is basically using this legislation as a recruiting tool to make athletes want to come to California to play. It's the very reason that governments shouldn't have gotten involved in legislating a college and NCAA issue, and taken all the control away from the colleges and the NCAA. This now opens the door for all states to come up with some form of this, and college athletics becomes a complete shit show.

Wow....what a depressing way to end this talk.

Anyway, we are on the same page.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Student athletes at the elite level is a joke. These guys and girls are not students. They are professional athletes with a crappy pay and benefits package. NCAA sports that funnel logically into a pro program (football, basketball, hockey, baseball, etc) are already divided into two groups. Those that have a shot at the next level and those that know they wont be playing after college.

The NCAA and the schools are making a great deal of money of these kids. I think there is nothing wrong with putting a portion of that money directly in the kids pockets as cash. They are the ones taking all the risk and putting their bodies on the line.

None of this is about education or concern for the student-athletes. It is the schools worried about cash flow at a time when university budgets are being slashed everywhere.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Student athletes at the elite level is a joke. These guys and girls are not students. They are professional athletes with a crappy pay and benefits package. NCAA sports that funnel logically into a pro program (football, basketball, hockey, baseball, etc) are already divided into two groups. Those that have a shot at the next level and those that know they wont be playing after college.

The NCAA and the schools are making a great deal of money of these kids. I think there is nothing wrong with putting a portion of that money directly in the kids pockets as cash. They are the ones taking all the risk and putting their bodies on the line.

None of this is about education or concern for the student-athletes. It is the schools worried about cash flow at a time when university budgets are being slashed everywhere.
    Agreed -Florida State is going to pay over $20 million in buyouts for a bad head coaching hiring decision that looked horrible from the first game and did not get through the second year of the contract. Meanwhile Arkansas is on the hook for $10 million to buyout its botched head coaching hire who also lasted less than two years when he was dispatched today while fighting to avoid paying another $11 million for firing the previous coach in 2017.

But it is all about preserving the “college experience” for the players by not paying them.

That ship sailed when the TV money to the Power 5 conferences caused programs to embark on an insane arms race by throwing money at coaches and facilities

Fun fact - nobody seems to be asking (certainly not the broadcasters for yesterday’s game) why Tua should not shut it down for the draft but instead have a surgical procedure to put his ankle back together so he could play on one good leg for the LSU game yesterday and risk his future for the “college experience.” Roll Tide!

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Um, enough derailing... this is the Minkah F'n Fitzpatrick thread..... most Int's since Polamalu.

Wave your towels for this 2020 draft pick!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I don't care what it takes. However it takes.

This Steelers Defense must be kept together as much as possible.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

ALL PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    ALL PRO

I think he is officially a DPOY candidate.

Think about that for a minute. Before Tuitt got hurt, this defense had three players playing at an elite level. Tuitt, Watt, and Fitzpatrick. Scary good.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

NFL.com is reporting that the Steelers are sending Miami their 2021 first round pick for Minkah as an undisclosed draft pick and out of good faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    NFL.com is reporting that the Steelers are sending Miami their 2021 first round pick for Minkah as an undisclosed draft pick and out of good faith.
    Lolz.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Imagine if this defense had great coaches as well.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

DPOY?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

I was thinking about this earlier today. While we've seen Minkah make INTs in coverage, a lot of what he's getting is DONG Ints. Tips.

In all honesty, he is getting a few tips, but that's him being aware of the play and swarming to where the ball's going. He has a nose for the ball. But, we also need to take a moment and give props to the other DBs who are getting hands on the ball or pressure on the receivers that are popping those balls up. Fantastic job to everyone.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I was thinking about this earlier today. While we've seen Minkah make INTs in coverage, a lot of what he's getting is DONG Ints. Tips.

In all honesty, he is getting a few tips, but that's him being aware of the play and swarming to where the ball's going. He has a nose for the ball. But, we also need to take a moment and give props to the other DBs who are getting hands on the ball or pressure on the receivers that are popping those balls up. Fantastic job to everyone.
    Agreed. A lot more ball awareness by almost everyone on the defense, including lineman.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I think he is officially a DPOY candidate.
    Rodney Harrison certainly thinks so.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Thank you Miami for horribly mismanaging him and making him want to leave. I refuse to compare him to Troy for at least another few years, but I will say I haven't seen safety play this good since Troy was in his prime

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Thank you Miami for horribly mismanaging him and making him want to leave. I refuse to compare him to Troy for at least another few years, but I will say I haven't seen safety play this good since Troy was in his prime
    He’s not Troy... and never will be. Sorry.

He’s Ed Reed.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

Based on our ability to draft secondary players, I'll take the player vs. the pick.
    Fitz and Hayden are our best 2 players in the secondary by far and neither was drafted by us.
    We can draft receivers, but not safeties or corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerchad View Post
    Based on our ability to draft secondary players, I'll take the player vs. the pick.
    Fitz and Hayden are our best 2 players in the secondary by far and neither was drafted by us.
    We can draft receivers, but not safeties or corners.
    ^^THIS^^

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

All I can say is that Miami HORRIBLY mismanaged him.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    He’s not Troy... and never will be. Sorry.

He’s Ed Reed.
    Yeah, I was actually thinking the same thing. He really does have that center-field ball-hawking skill set that we've been missing for years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    All I can say is that Miami HORRIBLY mismanaged him.
    Yep. That's what happens when you try to make a player fit a scheme rather than fitting the scheme to the player. We're seeing it this year with Bud Dupree as well.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Imagine if this defense had great coaches as well.
    Everywhere Teryl Austin goes, his defenses create turnovers. I think he has had a behind the scenes impact on this defense.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Without Minkah it's debateable but we could easily be 3-6 instead. The dude made 2 huge defensive scores 2 weeks in a row

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Everywhere Teryl Austin goes, his defenses create turnovers. I think he has had a behind the scenes impact on this defense.
    I think you predicted just that early this off season. Great call.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Agreed. A lot more ball awareness by almost everyone on the defense, including lineman.
    Barron made some nice plays yesterday, I missed last 2 games so maybe it wasnt an aberration but I was shocked. The only guy who hasn't improved with addition of MF is Artie. Artie and Switzer are like tits on a bull.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Barron made some nice plays yesterday, I missed last 2 games so maybe it wasnt an aberration but I was shocked. The only guy who hasn't improved with addition of MF is Artie. Artie and Switzer are like tits on a bull.
    Barron led the team with 10 tackles. I had to clean my contact lenses to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think you predicted just that early this off season. Great call.
    It could be a bit of coincidence that Minkah and Bush have 7 of the 14 INT's, but the amount of fumbles recovered as well makes me think its coaching. You can coach forcing turnovers and it creates a mindset of getting them, but its kind of the cherry on the top of the sundae and I think coaches have a lot of other priorities in coaching skill and scheme in a defense before they get to turnovers. Either way, its fun to see and reminds me of some of those Steeler defenses from the 90's with Lake, Woodson, Lloyd, Kirkland, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    It could be a bit of coincidence that Minkah and Bush have 7 of the 14 INT's, but the amount of fumbles recovered as well makes me think its coaching. You can coach forcing turnovers and it creates a mindset of getting them, but its kind of the cherry on the top of the sundae and I think coaches have a lot of other priorities in coaching skill and scheme in a defense before they get to turnovers. Either way, its fun to see and reminds me of some of those Steeler defenses from the 90's with Lake, Woodson, Lloyd, Kirkland, etc.
    Agreed on all points. The onlydrawback to it is that several people have made convincing arguments that forcing fumbles is a skill, but recovering is all luck. But that is a problem for a future Steelers team. I'm just going to enjoy having a ballhawking defense for a few more weeks.

The one thing I have noticed is that, and maybe this is where Austin comes in, every single defender is going for the punch or rip on the ball every single time, but they are also tackling. It isn't an either or thing like it has been in the past. Nelson is really good at it. He seems to be able to punch the ball and wrap up his man.