Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Bud Dupree

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Bud Dupree

My only hesitation with the tag, is that it would hit the cap all in 2020. If you sign Dupree to a multi-year deal, it allows you to attempt to do goofy things with the cap hits annually to accommodate other financial priorities.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    My only hesitation with the tag, is that it would hit the cap all in 2020. If you sign Dupree to a multi-year deal, it allows you to attempt to do goofy things with the cap hits annually to accommodate other financial priorities.
    But we might have to tag him in order to negotiate exclusively with him. If he just hits the open market, I don’t think we win that bidding war.

What are our options? Do we have the option of a transition tag? Or something where a team has to give us a first round pick for him?

I admit I don’t really understand the various tags, and when you can use them.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    But we might have to tag him in order to negotiate exclusively with him. If he just hits the open market, I don’t think we win that bidding war.

What are our options? Do we have the option of a transition tag? Or something where a team has to give us a first round pick for him?

I admit I don’t really understand the various tags, and when you can use them.
    Neither do I. I forgot about the tag him and negotiate option. That might be the way to go.

I just hope they don't tag him and then not be able to work out a deal. Cap wise, it is almost always in the teams favor to do a multiple year thing. But. I really don't know the ins and outs either.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Hope his injury isn't too serious, but it didn't look good. He is having a hell of a season. The defense definitely will take a step back if he's out for a significant amount of time. Feel for the guy. He was about to get $$$.

I suspect we are going to find out whether "random OLB" can replace Dupree.

I also suspect it will cost them a game at some point.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I missed him coming off the field. How did that go?

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Hope he didn't suffer a lisfranc injury.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I suspect we are going to find out whether "random OLB" can replace Dupree.

I also suspect it will cost them a game at some point.
    Bud has been great at rushing the passer, but he might be even better against the run. That will be where his presence is missed the most and teams will try to exploit that, IMO.

Highsmith has impressed, but there will be a noticeable drop off for sure.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

So maybe we now have a chance at resigning Bud?? Or we see enough of Highsmith that we’re confident in going forward without him.

- - - Updated - - -

Doc on Steelers Depot article thinks it’s a torn ACL after watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I missed him coming off the field. How did that go?
    https://youtu.be/71hH3IgjOQc

Looked like a freakish type of injury. No contact. It looks like an ACL injury, in my expert opinion. (Kidding) He was holding his knee, so it doesn't look like a lisfranc injury.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Dupree lost for the season with torn ACL
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Some here will be ecstatic...

You have a source on that or is that just your opinion?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Could be his last game as a Steeler.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Link?

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    You have a source on that or is that just your opinion?
    Just said on NFL network gone for season. ACL

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Damn! Dupree just cannot stay healthy. He's battled one injury after another since he got here.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

no link to a verbal statement ... WPXI Pittsburgh post game show said it was reported on NFL Network

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The importance of this injury cannot be overstated. This injury could literally derail a super bowl run.

It's time for Highsmith to show what he's got. He's great in spot duty and as a situational player, but he will be run at and tested by everyone from here out. The question is whether he can hold up in run defense and also get an adequate amount of pressure on the QB when necessary.

TJ Watt is going to be doubled constantly, plus get chipped by TE's and RB's constantly until Highsmith and his other young buds show they can bring it from the other side.

The other thing is that the front seven have to pick up their game to help offset the loss. Tuitt needs to keep dominating and Cam needs to be even more disruptive as well.

They're going to be asking a lot of a rookie. I hope Highsmith is ready for what's coming. Let's hope a rotation of backups can get the job done to come close to approximating what Dupree is able to do by himself. Big ask.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Some here will be ecstatic...
    NOT ME

Member Array title="SteelerCountry58 has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerCountry58's Avatar

Clay Matthews anyone? Could be great add down the stretch and a chance at another ring? I don’t know? Throwing it out there? Anyone else?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Has anyone watched Bud brought a Bud . He loves being a Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The importance of this injury cannot be overstated. This injury could literally derail a super bowl run.

It's time for Highsmith to show what he's got. He's great in spot duty and as a situational player, but he will be run at and tested by everyone from here out. The question is whether he can hold up in run defense and also get an adequate amount of pressure on the QB when necessary.

TJ Watt is going to be doubled constantly, plus get chipped by TE's and RB's constantly until Highsmith and his other young buds show they can bring it from the other side.

The other thing is that the front seven have to pick up their game to help offset the loss. Tuitt needs to keep dominating and Cam needs to be even more disruptive as well.

They're going to be asking a lot of a rookie. I hope Highsmith is ready for what's coming. Let's hope a rotation of backups can get the job done to come close to approximating what Dupree is able to do by himself. Big ask.
    All of this. Honestly, the more I watched games this year...the more I realized that Alualu, Dupree, and Edmunds are the guys at each level that allow the rest of the defense to make "splash" plays.

It is not going to be easy to cover up for Bush and Dupree at the same level of the defense.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

All of this. Honestly, the more I watched games this year...the more I realized that Alualu, Dupree, and Edmunds are the guys at each level that allow the rest of the defense to make "splash" plays.

It is not going to be easy to cover up for Bush and Dupree at the same level of the defense.

I know it's not all on Highsmith. I just highlighted him because he appears to have the most upside and gets the most playing time. He is first in to spell Watt and Dupree. Ola and the gang will have to contribute as well. You just know that they will all be tested when in there.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerCountry58 View Post
    Clay Matthews anyone? Could be great add down the stretch and a chance at another ring? I don’t know? Throwing it out there? Anyone else?
    may as well said James Harrison ...

both of those Ships have topped the horizon I think ...

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

may as well said James Harrison ...

both of those Ships have topped the horizon I think ...
    Agree. Matthews was horrible on the last team he played for (I think it was the Rams). Although he is only 34 so if the Juice is still active he might be a stop gap or at least insurance on rushing downs.

EDIT: Just read about his 2019 season. He wasn't all that bad and started the season decent until his broke his jaw in week #5 and eventually got released at the end of the season.

Heck why not if he can be signed for just this year to a contract loaded with incentives. As I said above he's insurance for passing downs.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Agree. Matthews was horrible on the last team he played for (I think it was the Rams). Although he is only 34 so if the Juice is still active he might be a stop gap or at least insurance on rushing downs.

EDIT: Just read about his 2019 season. He wasn't all that bad and started the season decent until his broke his jaw in week #5 and eventually got released at the end of the season.

Heck why not if he can be signed for just this year to a contract loaded with incentives. As I said above he's insurance for passing downs.
    If the price is right, why not . You never know if we make it to the SB he may cause another fumble.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Actually he had 8 sacks last year playing with a broken jaw the last 8 games. Not bad.

Look, I like Clay Matthews. Seems like nice guy. Definitely a hard worker and a team player. But he is not the future at OLB for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Playing high level defense without Bud Dupree was going to have to happen at some point. Prior to yesterday afternoon, that time was the start of free agency when Dupree left for a big a$$ contract somewhere else. Now, it starts on Monday.

The Steelers need to figure out if Highsmith and Toledo Alphabet Soup can be the answer opposite TJ Watt. If they can not, I would rather know NOW and have a free agent and draft cycle to address the problem. They get 5 pressure packed NFL games to see what Highsmith and Ola can do.