Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bud Dupree

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Bud Dupree

I thought he was a goner.
    Now he’ll be resigned.
    They’re gonna roll the dice that this year is the real Bud.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    I thought he was a goner.
    Now he’ll be resigned.
    They’re gonna roll the dice that this year is the real Bud.
    Well, this IS the real Bud... at least the real Bud as he is today.

I don’t know if they roll the dice at whatever his price is though. Maybe if he makes a team friendly deal rather than totally test the market. But how many players really do that?

However if he DOES make a team friendly deal, hopefully that wins him a little bit of goodwill around here.

Or maybe I’m fooling myself. Lol

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

I think Bud has played well this year. Probably the first year he's earned his money. Now someone will overpay him, and I hope it's not us. That's how it works. Get him for 4 for $40M and I'd do it, but he'll likely want $60 and come close to getting it.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Strip sack... and recovery... to seal the game.

But, that’s none of my business.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Don't worry, someone will be along anytime now to find something wrong with his performance. Dong victory, dong sack, dong strip, dong fumble recovery. Dong OLB

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Don't worry, someone will be along anytime now to find something wrong with his performance. Dong victory, dong sack, dong strip, dong fumble recovery. Dong OLB
    Every silver lining has a dark cloud in the center.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Well if they don't sign him then I would trade all our draft picks for Chase Young. Of course the Bengals won't go for that.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Well if they don't sign him then I would trade all our draft picks for Chase Young. Of course the Bengals won't go for that.
    As I stated earlier in the year...

If the Steelers could somehow draft Chase Young and pair him at OLB with Watt, we’d only need about 7-10ppg from the offense.

But... back to reality: extend Bud.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

As I stated earlier in the year...

If the Steelers could somehow draft Chase Young and pair him at OLB with Watt, we’d only need about 7-10ppg from the offense.

But... back to reality: extend Bud.
    Haha yep extend Bud!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

And he’s going to get dong paid this offseason

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Crickets from the Down with Bud crowd.....again.

Does any of this count as real evidence that he is playing better? Inquiring minds want to know.

Dongalicious!!!

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

No crickets at all. The Dupree fan club base a contract on a few plays, while resists base it on a career.

He made a play. Good. That's his job. Can he do it all year for the next 5 years? I seriously doubt it.

- - - Updated - - -

Just as fans made excuses for his first abysmal 4 years.
    Hater = Realist

Bad business: paying huge contracts for past production

Good business: paying for a player who’s best days are ahead of him

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    No crickets at all. The Dupree fan club base a contract on a few plays, while resists base it on a career.

He made a play. Good. That's his job. Can he do it all year for the next 5 years? I seriously doubt it.

- - - Updated - - -

You say he made a play. Do you think it was a good play?

Last time I checked, everyone gets paid to make plays, but not everyone is making plays like that in big moments. He has had a couple of those this year and is clearly playing better.

I do understand having doubts about signing him long term. I just don't get downplaying big plays or game-changing plays by him. That's what everyone has wanted to see, but seem upset that he's making them this year. If teammates are saying that the rest of us are seeing what they have seen in him for a while now, but he has been injured and incapable of playing at this level because of those injuries...that isn't an excuse...it's a reason. There is a difference.

I know that injuries also need to be a concern if there is a belief that he will be injury prone going forward. All of this stuff needs to be considered. If a team offers him the moon, I don't think the team will match it, and I agree with that. It's just that when you see how well the defense is playing with all the current pieces in place, it's hard to see any of it change when they just seem to be coming together and becoming a defense that can dominate.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I think Watt has been a catalyst for Dupree. When do the have to make a decision his contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I think Watt has been a catalyst for Dupree. When do the have to make a decision his contract?
    Indeed. Most good OLBs duos have a Robin (to their Batman).

Lloyd & Greene
    Harrison & Woodley
    Von Miller & Elvis Dumerville
    Clowney & Mercilus
    etc.

Bud is a free agent at the end of this season.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Did you not see how dong that play was? Like, when he swiped at the ball, his arm literally went: "DONG!"

Then when he reached down for the ball, you could see him yelling "DONG!!!" as he scooped it up.

Then Watt came over and it looked like he was congratulating him and so excited he was jumping up and down - but if you slow down the replay, you can clearly see he was shouting "You fuckin SUCK, Dupree! We all know this is only because you FINALLY started taking steroids! I TOLD you that was the only way you'd ever do shit!"

Then if you look really closely, you can see him pile-drive some kid with leukemia who was just standing on the sideline minding his own business.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously? ALL Steelers fans should be happy about Bud Dupree this year. This is exactly what we wanted to happen. Shouldn’t we all be rooting for him, rather than trying to be right about him?

If Artie Burns had turned it around and suddenly became the great corner we drafted him to be, I’d be happy about that too. I’d only be concerned about what he is now, not how long he took to get here.

This shouldn’t be about Bud supporters vs. Bud dectracors anymore. As a Steelers fan, aren’t you happy he’s good now?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Seriously? ALL Steelers fans should be happy about Bud Dupree this year. This is exactly what we wanted to happen. Shouldn’t we all be rooting for him, rather than trying to be right about him?

If Artie Burns had turned it around and suddenly became the great corner we drafted him to be, I’d be happy about that too. I’d only be concerned about what he is now, not how long he took to get here.

This shouldn’t be about Bud supporters vs. Bud dectracors anymore. As a Steelers fan, aren’t you happy he’s good now?
    I am happy that he is finally producing something of value - but as soon as we start talking about long-term contracts, it still feels like a trap. Now just with a bigger amount of money.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I am happy that he is finally producing something of value - but as soon as we start talking about long-term contracts, it still feels like a trap. Now just with a bigger amount of money.
    Completely understandable

The optimal free agent signing is James Farrior (a guy who is cheap and then rises to his R1 pedigree). Bud hit his stride a season “too soon” (for us to get him dirt cheap); so, he won’t be as cheap as he could have been. As mentioned earlier: he’s Melvin Ingram.

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    You say he made a play. Do you think it was a good play?

Last time I checked, everyone gets paid to make plays, but not everyone is making plays like that in big moments. He has had a couple of those this year and is clearly playing better.

I do understand having doubts about signing him long term. I just don't get downplaying big plays or game-changing plays by him. That's what everyone has wanted to see, but seem upset that he's making them this year. If teammates are saying that the rest of us are seeing what they have seen in him for a while now, but he has been injured and incapable of playing at this level because of those injuries...that isn't an excuse...it's a reason. There is a difference.

I know that injuries also need to be a concern if there is a belief that he will be injury prone going forward. All of this stuff needs to be considered. If a team offers him the moon, I don't think the team will match it, and I agree with that. It's just that when you see how well the defense is playing with all the current pieces in place, it's hard to see any of it change when they just seem to be coming together and becoming a defense that can dominate.
    Kordell has made good plays too.

Yes, Dupree made a good play. I'm don't want him to receive a huge contract over a few goods plays and 4 bad years.

- - - Updated - - -

But if Burns makes about 3 good plays before the year ends it means a big contract, right?
    Hater = Realist

I think Ding Dong Dupree is a must sign next season.Would try to keep him over Hargrave.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Yes, Dupree made a good play. I'm don't want him to receive a huge contract over a few goods plays and 4 bad years.

- - - Updated - - -

But if Burns makes about 3 good plays before the year ends it means a big contract, right?
    I get how you feel about Dupree, but do you think he may be also benefiting from them moving him back to his natural position? I am seriously just wondering if you think that may have helped him? IMHO it helped and not sure why they insisted on him playing the other side for so long.

- - - Updated - - -

Dupree has not just made a few plays. He’s been really good all year. I don’t understand the mentality of judging him for the subpar player he was before.

If you think we can’t afford to pay what Dupree will cost, and you think we can get by with lesser talent, that is a totally reasonable position. But to say that he still sucks because you’re averaging out his level of play over the course of his career... that just makes no sense.

He got better. He was a physical freak with potential. Now he’s finally meeting that potential.

When James Harrison finally got good, did he still suck because you averaged in the years he wasn’t good enough to make a team? No. You judged him for where he was at the time. Right?

Absolutely no one is saying that. No one. Alas, this is probably going to be your new “strawman argument”.

As Hollywood said, it’s not based off of an average of past play. And, as I have stated, you do not pay a player based on past performance; you pay him based on a prediction of future performance... and, the needle is pointing up on Dupree.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Dupree has not just made a few plays. He’s been really good all year. I don’t understand the mentality of judging him for the subpar player he was before.

If you think we can’t afford to pay what Dupree will cost, and you think we can get by with lesser talent, that is a totally reasonable position. But to say that he still sucks because you’re averaging out his level of play over the course of his career... that just makes no sense.

He got better. He was a physical freak with potential. Now he’s finally meeting that potential.

When James Harrison finally got good, did he still suck because you averaged in the years he wasn’t good enough to make a team? No. You judged him for where he was at the time. Right?
    Dupree is a physical freak. However, everyone's hesitation in backing up a Brinks truck for the guy is we don't know which Dupree is gonna show up next year. The analogy with James Harrison really isn't applicable. Harrison had a next-level work ethic, a relentless motor and a game-day intensity that Dupree could only dream of. Bud has had a lengthy history of mediocrity, but now is playing at a Pro Bowl level.

If this is the version of Dupree that's gonna terrorize QBs for the next 5 years, then absolutely pay the man. Or is this 'contract-year' Bud who's wowing coaches only to shift down into second gear next year and coast on his fat contract? I really don't know - to my untrained eye, it looks more like an issue of effort vs 'the light finally coming on'. With Harrison, like TJ, you know you're gonna get every ounce that they have to give on every snap. I'm just not convinced that Dupree has the desire to be that same type of player.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I get how you feel about Dupree, but do you think he may be also benefiting from them moving him back to his natural position? I am seriously just wondering if you think that may have helped him? IMHO it helped and not sure why they insisted on him playing the other side for so long.
    In general, going up against the RT is the “easier” side. But, every so often, a player finds it easier to play against the LT.

Harrison was good against RTs, but once he switched to playing against LTs, he took off. Same goes for Dupree. (Sidenote: Watt is much better after the switch, as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    Dupree is a physical freak. However, everyone's hesitation in backing up a Brinks truck for the guy is we don't know which Dupree is gonna show up next year. The analogy with James Harrison really isn't applicable. Harrison had a next-level work ethic, a relentless motor and a game-day intensity that Dupree could only dream of. Bud has had a lengthy history of mediocrity, but now is playing at a Pro Bowl level.

If this is the version of Dupree that's gonna terrorize QBs for the next 5 years, then absolutely pay the man. Or is this 'contract-year' Bud who's wowing coaches only to shift down into second gear next year and coast on his fat contract? I really don't know - to my untrained eye, it looks more like an issue of effort vs 'the light finally coming on'. With Harrison, like TJ, you know you're gonna get every ounce that they have to give on every snap. I'm just not convinced that Dupree has the desire to be that same type of player.
    I completely understand everyone’s hesitancy. It could be an Albert Haynesworth type of situation.

But... Dupree switched sides. Dupree is healthy. And, the coaches are playing to his strengths (as opposed to having him try to be the next “James Harrison”). This tells me that Dupree is more like James Farrior: taking a few years to reach his potential.

I disagree that Dupree isn’t trying. Now, does he have Harrison’s or Watt’s relentless drive? No, but very few players do.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

If it could be a deal with a decent signing bonus with most of the money on the backend, then I'd be okay with resigning.
    If he wants it all up front, I'd be less likely. I just don't think we can afford 5yr 75mil, 40 guaranteed with all the other assets looming...

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

I completely understand everyone’s hesitancy. It could be an Albert Haynesworth type of situation.

But... Dupree switched sides. Dupree is healthy. And, the coaches are playing to his strengths (as opposed to having him try to be the next “James Harrison”). This tells me that Dupree is more like James Farrior: taking a few years to reach his potential.

I disagree that Dupree isn’t trying. Now, does he have Harrison’s or Watt’s relentless drive? No, but very few players do.
    I'm not saying that Dupree isn't trying. He's certainly playing with a high motor right now. My concern is will he continue to play with his hair on fire like he is right now? He sleepwalked through a few seasons and I'm afraid he might revert back to that once he gets his $C2 money.