Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chargers to London?

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Chargers to London?

We all know the NFL wants to move a team overseas looks like the team they are targeting is the chargers. What a joke it would be to have any team move overseas when there are cities in the US that would easily support having a team in their town.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/c...d-la-failures/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Chargers to London?

That’s such nonsense. The moving expenses, the new logo design, the marketing, all the additional costs to relocate and rebrand an NFL Team, location and stadium in London, blah, blah, blah.

Take that money and put the Chargers back in San Diego where they belong. Fuck London.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

To your point about cities in the US. I’m sure San Antonio could probably support an NFL team. Portland maybe? How about Memphis? Something in Oklahoma City? I don’t know...maybe San Diego? San Jose?

Much rather see them try and fail in a US City then take this shit show to London.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Da Raidahs are the only team who can be successful in LA. Raidahs fans dominated Chargers games when the Bolts were still in SD; there was no way that the Chargers stood a chance in LA.

The Chargers should have gone to Las Vegas.

I get that Kroenke didn’t want to share a stadium with the Raiders, because the Raiders fans would have owned that city (as they already do). The Rams would have been an afterthought. Still, moving the Chargers to LA was an extremely bad decision.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Roger Goodell and awful idiotic decisions, name me a more iconic duo?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    To your point about cities in the US. I’m sure San Antonio could probably support an NFL team. Portland maybe? How about Memphis? Something in Oklahoma City? I don’t know...maybe San Diego? San Jose?

Much rather see them try and fail in a US City then take this shit show to London.
    What about Cincinnati? They could use a football team.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Sure. Why not? They’re going to push the Chargers out of business anyway. Let them do it in London and kill off that stupid idea at the same time. Chargers or Jags? Whichever one they want.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Long time rumor has been that the Jags owner, who owns a football (aka soccer) team in Great Britain, has the inside track on any franchise move to London. Jax is too small of a market to support a team in SEC country where the most popular pro (called “college” for marketing purposes) football teams are the Gators and, in the southeast Georgia portion of the extended Jax market area, the Dawgs

But Chargers relocation would screw up the financing by the Rams owner of the new football palace in LA so that would be a good thing

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

A smarter move would have been going to Vegas, or back to San Diego, but there are too many contracts in place and too many people counting their piles of money for anything to change now.

What will really happen is the Chargers will struggle along for several years in the new stadium, and then Spanos will sell them at a huge profit to someone with a "turnaround plan" - who will then bitch and moan about building more luxury boxes, or some other redevelopment deal in the surrounding area, and threaten to move the team if not.

For this generation of owners, it is not about building a loyal fan base or a winning football team, it is about doing real estate deals and trying to increase the resale value of the franchise by hundreds of millions of dollars. The way to do that is by trying to strongarm the city government by bitching or threatening to move, so that's what they all do. That's the only reason a fan base matters to these people - if they are visible enough that they make a good prop that the owner can use to help coerce the local politicians to act in his favor.

Overall a pretty disgusting state of affairs, but that's the game they're playing. It will be interesting to see whether the fact that the Chargers' support has completely cratered is enough to throw a monkey wrench into those plans. (But then the owner just bitches about low support because of the ungrateful fans, and what else would help it except a redevelopment deal and concessions from the city, such as a $1 stadium lease, etc.)
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Jags moving would be more practical, especially with current ownership.
    All Defense!

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

London Chargers. Ditch the Bolt; add St. George atop his white charger slaying a dragon. It fits!

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

The logistics would be a nightmare and the AFC would have to be reorganized. I wonder what it would look like...

AFCE

NE Pats
    NY Jets
    London Chargers
    Baltimore Ravens

AFCN

Pittsburgh Steelers
    Buffalo Bills
    Indy Colts
    Cleveland Browns

AFCS
    Cincy Bengals
    Miami Dolphins
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Tennessee Titans

AFCW
    Denver Broncos
    Houston Texans
    KC Chiefs
    Las Vegas Raiders

Just a guess...
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

They wouldn’t separate the Tavens and Steelers. They’d probably just move San Diego to the East, mive Miami to the South and move Houston to the West.

What no one has been mentioning is whether the players would want that. You think Rivers wants to play in London and move his 26 kids with him? What about the taxes on the pay? If players don’t want to play overseas, they’ll have trouble fielding a competitive team.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

They wouldn’t separate the Tavens and Steelers. They’d probably just move San Diego to the East, mive Miami to the South and move Houston to the West.

What no one has been mentioning is whether the players would want that. You think Rivers wants to play in London and move his 26 kids with him? What about the taxes on the pay? If players don’t want to play overseas, they’ll have trouble fielding a competitive team.
    My guess is this rumor may be some sort of attempt to give the Chargers ownership leverage to get relief from the league or the Rams owner as they prepare to be tenants in the Rams new stadium next season and probably have not sold sufficient seat licenses to meet their financial obligations

Any actual move occurring any time soon is as likely as the Tomlin being hired by Danny Snyder hot takes that were last month’s rumor of choice

To merge those streams I have heard if the Chargers move to London they are going to hire Tomlin as head coach

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

They wouldn’t separate the Ravens and Steelers. They’d probably just move San Diego to the East, mive Miami to the South and move Houston to the West.
    I can't say you're wrong, because how would I know? It just comes down to whether they prefer to split up the Steelers and Ravens or pay a boatload more cash to shuttle teams and their equipment crazy distances. If it's me (which it's obviously not), I'm gonna shorten up my travel during the year as much as possible in order to make London economically viable.
    And yeah, the big question is whether the players would go for it. They'd basically become the "Rainbow Warriors" of the NFL, which would place a huge strain on both their personal lives and their competitiveness in the league.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

I just don't see London happening. I'd guess there's a much better chance of putting a permanent team in Mexico city. Flight time is 2:45 to Dallas, 2:16 to Houston, 3 hours to Miami, so on and so forth. Also, if NFL football takes off down there, it'd be much easier to expand to cities like Guadalajara with 4.8 million or Monterrey with 4.4 million people. They can also start an expansion into South America and divide into two leagues with the Superbowl played between them. Plus, you get the benefit of cheaper land and labor (think, building and maintaining stadiums) and yet, much of the same benefits with revenue sharing.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Massive security problem in Mexico. Cartels may just start snatching players for ransom. Perhaps a low probability, but not out of the realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Massive security problem in Mexico. Cartels may just start snatching players for ransom. Perhaps a low probability, but not out of the realm.
    That’s a good movie premise...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

That’s a good movie premise...
    Yup! Also, how would the NFL account for that on the roster? Would it require a 53 man roster spot? Or would there be an "Exempt - Kidnapped" list? How long before the Patriots would start kidnapping their own guys to create extra roster spots?

Now, I'm all for it. Let's put a team in like whatever the most ruthless controlled cartel town is and see what happens.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Yup! Also, how would the NFL account for that on the roster? Would it require a 53 man roster spot? Or would there be an "Exempt - Kidnapped" list? How long before the Patriots would start kidnapping their own guys to create extra roster spots?

Now, I'm all for it. Let's put a team in like whatever the most ruthless controlled cartel town is and see what happens.

They really need to consider a bunch of things if they go out of the country. How are they going to sign these practice squad guys and just release them in a day like they did with Sutton Smith? That's not fair to these people to have to travel that far, give up living arrangements, give up jobs, move family, etc... and then have a team release guys the next day. That would require considerably more compensation and new rules would probably need to be put in place to limit the negative impact on signed players.

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

Now, I'm all for it. Let's put The Patricheats in like whatever the most ruthless controlled cartel town is and see what happens.
    fixed it for ya

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Ciudad Juarez Patriots does have a nice ring to it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Washington Wall Jumpers?
    All Defense!

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Ciudad Juarez Patriots does have a nice ring to it.
    Since the Brady Patriots have just about run their course we'll trade Mexico the Patriots if they'll bring Bullfighting to Gillette.

What about when players get in trouble with the law. Are there chances that they won’t be able to visit other countries because they can’t get a visa?

Future midweek injury report for the Sonora Assassins

DNP - kidnapped
    DNP - awaiting bail for arrest on trafficking charges
    Limited - car bombing upper body injury

"WR Julian Edelman is expected to miss 6-8 weeks with a gunshot wound to the left thigh."

MAKE IT HAPPEN ROGER
    See you Space Cowboy ...

While that's true to a degree, it's also true here. I mean, seriously. Who here is going to argue there was no Mafia involvement with the Giants building that stadium, waste disposal, burying Jimmy Hoffa.

Plus, they're smarter than that. They can overrun our borders, poison our children with cinnamon heroin, traffic guns back up across the border, and we don't really care that much. Screw with a football game? Ruin the betting over/under? I give it five days before US special forces clear out the entire province. You simply do not threaten Goodell's money-making schemes!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Future midweek injury report for the Sonora Assassins

DNP - kidnapped
    DNP - awaiting bail for arrest on trafficking charges
    Limited - car bombing upper body injury

DNP - Went to Amsterdam for the weekend and never returned
    DNP - On waiting list for medical procedure for 3 months
    DNP - Forced to be a mule for a cartel and is in police custody in a Mexican prison
    DNP - In Mexican police custody on bogus charge until he pays the extortion fee

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

DNP - Went to Amsterdam for the weekend and never returned
    DNP - On waiting list for medical procedure for 3 months
    DNP - Forced to be a mule for a cartel and is in police custody in a Mexican prison
    DNP - In Mexican police custody on bogus charge until he pays the extortion fee
    That actually brings up a good question...if a player is injured whether he be on a London or Mexican team, could there possibly be different medical procedures in other countries that may not be available in the United States that the injured player may be able to take advantage of?