Thread: Martavis Bryant?

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Martavis Bryant?

Other than Juju who is 6'2 and plays physical, I feel like our WRs are undersized and inexperienced. Our WR corps is missing something and struggling to get open.

Do we kick the tires on Martavis Bryant ?

1 year contract prove it contract. Protect ourselves with verbiage about drug use in the contract.

Just have him run fly routes to take the top off the defense (like Mike wallace) and endzone fades.

Also it could free up double coverage for Juju.

Thoughts?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Martavis Bryant?

Not the worst idea. I'd at least have him in for a workout if I was in charge.

Nope.

We just cleared this team of such issues. And yet, we still have a couple knuckleheads that we have to do with this year. I do not want to bring Trouble back to this team, and that's what we'd be doing with Bryant. That ship's sailed. Good luck to him in the future. I wish him no ill-intent or will. I just do not want to see him in a Steelers uniform.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Nope.

We just cleared this team of such issues. And yet, we still have a couple knuckleheads that we have to do with this year. I do not want to bring Trouble back to this team, and that's what we'd be doing with Bryant. That ship's sailed. Good luck to him in the future. I wish him no ill-intent or will. I just do not want to see him in a Steelers uniform.
    What do you think he would do to cause trouble? Either he performs well or he doesn’t.

There’s a difference between getting caught smoking weed and being a locker room problem.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

he cant get out of his own head, sad because the talent is there! i dont think he'd play for the steelers again anyway.

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    What do you think he would do to cause trouble? Either he performs well or he doesn’t.

There’s a difference between getting caught smoking weed and being a locker room problem.
    Nope, not much difference. It means he's undependable. You don't know the next time he's going to get popped and suspended. On top of which, he's older and would come in as an influence. That is notthe influence I want for young receivers because they do a lot more than just talk in the locker room. They go out. They spend time together.

Nope. Don't want that. No thank you.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Last I read, he was still suspended indefinitely. Like basically a lifetime ban unless something changes and Roger the Fuckfaced takes pity on him.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Rather just invite AB back...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Rather just invite AB back...lol.
    As I’ve mentioned a few times, we already paid him $21 million for the season. He was owed an additional $1 million that we saved by trading him. “If” the Steelers brought him in, I think it’d only cost us that $1 million.

That said, even if my capology is correct, AB’s talent does not outweigh the distraction.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    As I’ve mentioned a few times, we already paid him $21 million for the season. He was owed an additional $1 million that we saved by trading him. “If” the Steelers brought him in, I think it’d only cost us that $1 million.

That said, even if my capology is correct, AB’s talent does not outweigh the distraction.
    Not to mention that if we did bring him back, it would be such a desperation move that even that idiot would know it and use it to his full advantage. He would be completely uncontrollable, not that he ever was in hindsight.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Sure, I dont believe in 2nd chances....but I do believe in 12th chances and I think he is on at least that.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Sure, I dont believe in 2nd chances....but I do believe in 12th chances and I think he is on at least that.
    I mean Josh Gordon has had at least 12 chances, no???????

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I thought that money is just sunk. If we brought AB back we’d have to make some new deal with him and all that other money would have nothing to do with it. Or am I wrong about that?

I’m thinking of the time we cut James Harrison and he ended up making a worse deal with the Bengals, but he couldn’t just take the Steelers deal instead because we weren’t allowed to apply the dead money to any new deal.

Or is this something different?

It’s all moot anyway. There’s no way the Steelers would take AB back. And isn’t he still on the commissioner’s exempt list?

What about Eli Rogers?

I know a couple of other teams brought him in to work out, but I don’t remember him signing anywhere. Maybe that’s a bad sign, but he’s always performed well for us.

That said, he’s more suited as a replacement for Switzer rather than Moncrief.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Sure, but Josh Gordons combined top 3 seasons receiving total were over 3,100 yards. Bryant's best 3 seasons combined are 1,800 yards. Gordon at his best was capable of dominating the league, while Bryant's best made him able to stretch the field as a #2 WR.

Now, they are most likely only capable of dominating a 12- step program.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I thought that money is just sunk. If we brought AB back we’d have to make some new deal with him and all that other money would have nothing to do with it. Or am I wrong about that?

I’m thinking of the time we cut James Harrison and he ended up making a worse deal with the Bengals, but he couldn’t just take the Steelers deal instead because we weren’t allowed to apply the dead money to any new deal.

Or is this something different?

It’s all moot anyway. There’s no way the Steelers would take AB back. And isn’t he still on the commissioner’s exempt list?
    You are correct about the money. Once you cut or trade a player, the dead money is just dead money that you do not get back for any reason whatsoever. It doesn't matter if you re-sign the player; he is treated as a new free agent, the same as if you'd signed a stranger.

The reason being that the dead money is simply signing bonus money that you already paid him on the last contract, but had been spreading out over several years for accounting purposes. The money was actually paid out and you don't get it back if you sign the player to a new contract, so why would you get the cap space back?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Nope, not much difference. It means he's undependable. You don't know the next time he's going to get popped and suspended. On top of which, he's older and would come in as an influence. That is notthe influence I want for young receivers because they do a lot more than just talk in the locker room. They go out. They spend time together.

Nope. Don't want that. No thank you.
    I guess we just look at it differently. To me, not being dependable is the exact same result as Donte Moncrief. WHY a guy works out or does not work out rarely affects the rest of the team.

There are certainly cases like AB and TO being people that might affect the locker room. But I don’t think Josh Gordon being on the Patriots hurt the rest of that team one bit... except in the sense that he didn’t get the results that warranted a roster spot.

I’m not even fighting to get Bryant back. I’m not even sure if he’s suspended or not. But my point is, the only RISKS to signing him would be risking the money and the roster spot. If he’s past his problems and performs. Great. If he decides to smoke weed again, I’d bet anything that he will not be passing it around the locker room or taking ANY chances on a fellow team mate knowing.

To me it’s the same thing as the Raiders signing TE Darren Waller. A move I’m guessing you think wasn’t worth the risk because he could have influenced others if it didn’t work out.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I don’t think they’d ever bring him back...lol. But damn I miss that on field talent...he was fun to watch!!

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Gordon has to have had many more chances then Bryant...lol

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I don’t think they’d ever bring him back...lol!
    I agree.

my personal opinion is that they would be absolutely crazy to ever think of bringing him back. Even when he came back from suspension, he wasn't thinking of the team, only himself and never admitted that he may have been wrong or needed help. Sadly, people with that kind of attitude and lack of self awareness are doomed for failure.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Isn’t Bryant on some indefinite suspension from the league?

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

I mean as far as culture, Bryant is a follower not a leader. The leaders were Brown, Bell, and Harrison. All of which started creating drama and challenging the culture the couching staff was trying to create. Where I am getting at is , Bryant now would be in tight knit group who have all subscribed to the coaches rally cry. This us actually the most selfless team we've had since our 04' 05 superbowl team.

Bryant, would be on a short leash and it would be writing in bold if you mess up or become a headache your out.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Isn’t Bryant on some indefinite suspension from the league?
    Unless something's changed recently, he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    I mean as far as culture, Bryant is a follower not a leader. The leaders were Brown, Bell, and Harrison. All of which started creating drama and challenging the culture the couching staff was trying to create. Where I am getting at is , Bryant now would be in tight knit group who have all subscribed to the coaches rally cry. This us actually the most selfless team we've had since our 04' 05 superbowl team.

Bryant, would be on a short leash and it would be writing in bold if you mess up or become a headache your out.
    All else aside, Bryant is a case where I just don't see any hope for the guy getting his shit together. Since he first came into the league, every single time he has not only messed things up, but messed them up hard and right away. Like, in a matter of weeks, not months or years. If someone signed him in the offseason, he wouldn't even make into the season; if they signed him during the season he wouldn't even make it to the end. He's that bad, and it's been that way every time, and there's absolutely nothing that indicates he's changed at all.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I guess we just look at it differently. To me, not being dependable is the exact same result as Donte Moncrief. WHY a guy works out or does not work out rarely affects the rest of the team.

There are certainly cases like AB and TO being people that might affect the locker room. But I don’t think Josh Gordon being on the Patriots hurt the rest of that team one bit... except in the sense that he didn’t get the results that warranted a roster spot.

I’m not even fighting to get Bryant back. I’m not even sure if he’s suspended or not. But my point is, the only RISKS to signing him would be risking the money and the roster spot. If he’s past his problems and performs. Great. If he decides to smoke weed again, I’d bet anything that he will not be passing it around the locker room or taking ANY chances on a fellow team mate knowing.

To me it’s the same thing as the Raiders signing TE Darren Waller. A move I’m guessing you think wasn’t worth the risk because he could have influenced others if it didn’t work out.
    I get your point about him being equal to Moncrief, and honestly, it's a good point. I think my concern, however, is more that you would have a player that is 27 years old stepping into a WR room where the leader is 23 years old, and you have two other guys younger than him that your depending on. People at that age are impressionable. My concern isn't the locker-room cancer. It's the after-hours influence. The, "come on over and let's go over these plays . . . shhhhhptth!!! cough, cough . . . want some?" type of influence. Is that unfair to Bryant? Probably so. Is that unfair to JuJu, Washington, and others in assuming they're that swayable if they aren't doing it already? Yep. Probably so. It's still not enough to get me to take that risk. Not for the payout.