Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Blame Randy Fichtner

Junior Member Array title="TRASHMAN is a jewel in the rough">

Don't Blame Randy Fichtner

I am mad as most of you about waiving the white flag during our last possession against the Colts, but I have to disagree with those who believe Fichtner is a liability.

Fitchtner did not game plan for Samuels to set an all-time record for RB receptions this afternoon. Rudolph was clearly going through his progressions and checking down the majority of those plays. The proverbial "Fitchtner conservative offense" could attributed to WR's not gaining separation or Rudolph simply making the correct reads. I think Rudolph did a fantastic job moving the chains, not forcing the ball, and making the throws that counted today; especially to his former teammate. That's as much as you can ask for a QB's 5th career start.

Bottom line, Fitchtner has put Rudolph and our offense in the position to wins games. This team is a few fumbles and a bogus roughing the passer call away from being 7-1.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Don't Blame Randy Fichtner

At first, I thought the coaches were limiting Rudolph.

After several games, I feel more like Rudolph is limiting Rudolph.

They would not be calling 40 straight dump-offs every game. And on a lot of these plays, you can see that some receivers are running downfield, and then the throw is to the underneath guy who was left uncovered.

It's as if the normal progression for a QB goes 1-2-3-4-5, but Rudolph just goes 1-5. Or 1-5-2-5-3-5-4-5, and the 1 and 2 usually have not had time to run their routes before he's on to the 5. Something like that. It's weird.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

I agree with Trashman on some of his points and would like to add (not trying to thread jack) but i think its time to give Duck some snaps with the first team offense. The OC sees what Rudolph is capable of in practice and picks plays according to Rudolphs ability and if this is all he has got why not give Hodges some opportunity

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The play designs are horrible. Those are what is limiting Rudolph’s progressions. There’s zero creativity to run the routes in a way to get receivers open. They are still trying to play Ben/AB backyard ball with players that are maybe 25% the talent that Ben/AB are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

So basically we have a pussy OC and QB?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Yeah Fichtner is a freaking genius. He’s a pathetic OC.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you start a small business? Easy. Start a large business and put Fichtner in charge.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Yeah Fichtner is a freaking genius. He’s a pathetic OC.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you start a small business? Easy. Start a large business and put Fichtner in charge.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Guys are open downfield on many plays. Mason just isn't seeing it.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Guys are open downfield on many plays. Mason just isn't seeing it.
    Late in the game, Diontae Johnson was wiiide open. We settled for a FG.

It happens to every QB. That said, Rudolph seems to focus heavily on the dump off.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The playcalls are horrible and the scheme is reliant on 0 and negative yard pass plays.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    The playcalls are horrible and the scheme is reliant on 0 and negative yard pass plays.
    I thought it was reliant on forcing the ball to AB and foolish deep shots on third downs?

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Okay.

So, the QB looking downfield before making the dump off is just what . . . misdirection? That is on a first-year starting QB. He's the one making the decisions. Our WRs are getting open ​downfield.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRASHMAN View Post
    I am mad as most of you about waiving the white flag during our last possession against the Colts, but I have to disagree with those who believe Fichtner is a liability.

Fitchtner did not game plan for Samuels to set an all-time record for RB receptions this afternoon. Rudolph was clearly going through his progressions and checking down the majority of those plays. The proverbial "Fitchtner conservative offense" could attributed to WR's not gaining separation or Rudolph simply making the correct reads. I think Rudolph did a fantastic job moving the chains, not forcing the ball, and making the throws that counted today; especially to his former teammate. That's as much as you can ask for a QB's 5th career start.

Bottom line, Fitchtner has put Rudolph and our offense in the position to wins games. This team is a few fumbles and a bogus roughing the passer call away from being 7-1.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Working so far but pretty sure teams and defenses in the future will key on it. Like I said the OC will cost us games in the future. Wasn't for a shank field goal we lose the game! Cause of being safe!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I don't like Randy Fichtner, but its time to be real here. His hands are tied right now.

-He is starting what is basically a rookie backup Quarterback in an Offense built and designed around Ben, and not him.
    -Said Rookie quarterback's skills do not match Ben's Offense.
    -Our Receivers are young, but overall very average. They do not get seperation very well.

Fichtner's Offense was totally built and customized around Ben Roethlisberger and his skills. It doesn't scheme players open. It's designed around Ben's gunslinger style. Drop back in shotgun and just gun it. Except Ben isn't here. It's a totally different quarterback. One with a clearly different skillset who received no offseason reps and no time at all with the receivers. Mason was groomed to be the backup this season, not the starter. I guarantee you that if Mason were given the reps this offseason and the offense was built and designed around his skills, he would be taking off like nothing. Mason is forcefully pigeon-holed into being Ben in a Ben-centric offense, when he isn't Ben.

What we're seeing is essentially Mason Rudolph's training camp reps with the Starters, in actual NFL action.

What Randy can be blamed for not building a competent offensive system that works for any quarterback rather than Ben, but them's the breaks.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Don't Blame Randy Fichtner

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    I don't like Randy Fichtner, but its time to be real here. His hands are tied right now.

-He is starting what is basically a rookie backup Quarterback in an Offense built and designed around Ben, and not him.
    -Said Rookie quarterback's skills do not match Ben's Offense.
    -Our Receivers are young, but overall very average. They do not get seperation very well.

Fichtner's Offense was totally built and customized around Ben Roethlisberger and his skills. It doesn't scheme players open. It's designed around Ben's gunslinger style. Drop back in shotgun and just gun it. Except Ben isn't here. It's a totally different quarterback. One with a clearly different skillset who received no offseason reps and no time at all with the receivers. Mason was groomed to be the backup this season, not the starter. I guarantee you that if Mason were given the reps this offseason and the offense was built and designed around his skills, he would be taking off like nothing. Mason is forcefully pigeon-holed into being Ben in a Ben-centric offense, when he isn't Ben.

What we're seeing is essentially Mason Rudolph's training camp reps with the Starters, in actual NFL action.

What Randy can be blamed for not building a competent offensive system that works for any quarterback rather than Ben, but them's the breaks.
    That’s exactly right and I said this as soon as Ben was hurt. It was time for Fichtner and Tomlin to start put in big boy pants and start coaching. The only thing different that we’ve seen so far is Fichtner trot out the wildcat offense. I’m sure they sat down, or at least hope they did, with Mason and go over what plays he likes and have selected plays that work with his skillset but it doesn’t seem like those are working and I’m nt convinced that there are a lot of receivers getting open downfield.

Hopefully there’s something on the intranets somewhere that will show that they indeed are getting open and Mason just isn’t getting the ball there. That way there’s some hope that it may eventually click for him...

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

We also have to shed some blame on the Offensive Line yesterday too. Poorest game since San Fran, and that may have had something to do with the conservative play calling. I’m sure the Steelers wanted to take more shots and be aggressive, but when the Offensive Line is getting handled, they can only do so much.

They will be playing Aaron Donald this week. I don’t expect the offense to have much greater success.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The play designs are horrible. Those are what is limiting Rudolph’s progressions. There’s zero creativity to run the routes in a way to get receivers open. They are still trying to play Ben/AB backyard ball with players that are maybe 25% the talent that Ben/AB are.
    Agreed - the typically precise routes the Pats ran last night along with the multiple formations the Ravens rolled out to free up runs showed how an offense can be implemented by NFL quality coordinators.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I thought it was reliant on forcing the ball to AB and foolish deep shots on third downs?
    Different coordinator in 2018

Member Array title="Blast Furnace is on a distinguished road">

Who gives a shit about this being Ben's offense. As soon as Ben went down, this became Mason's offense and our OC should be busting his ass to design plays that work for him and the receivers. How about some fucking rub routes? How about utilizing our TE's like other teams do? How about more play action when it's 3rd and 4 or less if they want to pass the ball. No they continue to trot out the 5WR sets with no one in the backfield telling the defense all it needs to know and allows them to pin their ears back and come after Mason. No, this mismanagement of our players and the calls on their field are solely on Fichtner. He is doing a shitty job and his offensive system is stale and lame as hell! Ben ran this offense for too long and our OC doesn't seem up to the task of taking over!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'm convinced that the passing offense problems are 70/30 on Fichtner.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Okay.

So, the QB looking downfield before making the dump off is just what . . . misdirection? That is on a first-year starting QB. He's the one making the decisions. Our WRs are getting open ​downfield.
    I would think this is where coaching comes in and they get him to look for the open man on certain plays in certain areas. It’s not rocket science. Rudolph is tall, I’m sure he can see downfield.

i’m suspecting the ‘coaching him up’ is not all there.

is it any coincidence that Dupree started playing well after the change at linebackers coach ? Sometimes coaching makes a big difference

I'm convinced that the passing offense problems are 70/30 on Fichtner.
    So, I decided to watch a bit of the coaches tape on NFL replay (sidenote, I've only had to watch like one or two games on it so far this year). Turns out, receivers are open. Not wide-open with no one around, but NFL open. Some nice route running going on. TE breaks behind the ILB and there's an opening to place the ball about 10-15 yards downfield in his hands. Instead, it's a dump off. WR far left side of the field sprints ten or fifteen yards, then stops on a dime and turns for the ball. CB still has his back turned. Dump off.

Of course, there are a few designed plays. Screens. One or two where the wheel-route is wide open. Nothing wrong with those. But this idea that our WRs are blanketed all the time is not accurate. What it seems is that Mason is giving his main receiver one look and then if he's not comfortable, hitting the dump pass.

So, they are trying to push it up the field. Not as far as we're used to with the vertical game Ben R. likes to play, but with Mason's arm strength, that's just not going to be a big part of his game. Not at least until he gets his mechanics rock solid.

Granted, I've just watched a few series of the last game, and there were a couple of players I wondered what Fichtner was doing. Mainly, the roll out near the goal line.

OH MAN! So, I'm watching some more (This is all the last game). Had a receiver on a fly pattern blowing by the CB. Mason steps to his left and . . . throws the checkdown.

---at this point, stupid NFL Network keeps losing the connection, so I quit for tonight. But no, Fitchner is not the problem. Can things be schemed better? Sure. But I'd say the problem is about 30-40 percent playcalling and 60-70 percent having an inexperienced QB afraid to let the play develop or to anticipate breaks and cuts. The few times he does it, he's hitting receivers (although Washington had to make a great catch. Moreover, I'd also guess that perhaps half that 30-40 percent is really Fitchner making the game small enough for Mason to handle. So, you see WRs lined up 5 wide, and four stop about 5 yards out to present a target for Mason to hit (he hit the checkdown on that one, too).

And, that latter part is exactly "coaching-him-up." Making the game easier for him. Heck, maybe the one look and then hit the checkdown is part of Fitchner's plan so that Mason can get settled and dialed into NFL gamespeed and passing windows. It takes some QBs a year or two to do that.

So, I decided to watch a bit of the coaches tape on NFL replay (sidenote, I've only had to watch like one or two games on it so far this year). Turns out, receivers are open. Not wide-open with no one around, but NFL open. Some nice route running going on. TE breaks behind the ILB and there's an opening to place the ball about 10-15 yards downfield in his hands. Instead, it's a dump off. WR far left side of the field sprints ten or fifteen yards, then stops on a dime and turns for the ball. CB still has his back turned. Dump off.

Of course, there are a few designed plays. Screens. One or two where the wheel-route is wide open. Nothing wrong with those. But this idea that our WRs are blanketed all the time is not accurate. What it seems is that Mason is giving his main receiver one look and then if he's not comfortable, hitting the dump pass.

So, they are trying to push it up the field. Not as far as we're used to with the vertical game Ben R. likes to play, but with Mason's arm strength, that's just not going to be a big part of his game. Not at least until he gets his mechanics rock solid.

Granted, I've just watched a few series of the last game, and there were a couple of players I wondered what Fichtner was doing. Mainly, the roll out near the goal line.

OH MAN! So, I'm watching some more (This is all the last game). Had a receiver on a fly pattern blowing by the CB. Mason steps to his left and . . . throws the checkdown.

---at this point, stupid NFL Network keeps losing the connection, so I quit for tonight. But no, Fitchner is not the problem. Can things be schemed better? Sure. But I'd say the problem is about 30-40 percent playcalling and 60-70 percent having an inexperienced QB afraid to let the play develop or to anticipate breaks and cuts. The few times he does it, he's hitting receivers (although Washington had to make a great catch. Moreover, I'd also guess that perhaps half that 30-40 percent is really Fitchner making the game small enough for Mason to handle. So, you see WRs lined up 5 wide, and four stop about 5 yards out to present a target for Mason to hit (he hit the checkdown on that one, too).

And, that latter part is exactly "coaching-him-up." Making the game easier for him. Heck, maybe the one look and then hit the checkdown is part of Fitchner's plan so that Mason can get settled and dialed into NFL gamespeed and passing windows. It takes some QBs a year or two to do that.
    Thanks for watching that and sharing it. Sounds like it’s more 30/70 Rudolph’s “fault”?

Mark Madden apparently senses blood in the water with the fan base starting to lose patience and takes a break from trashing JuJu to take a shot at Mason after the Colts game

Samuels had 13 catches, albeit for just 73 yards. I bet Rudolph nursed until he was 11

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-mad...bout-steelers/

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Thanks for watching that and sharing it. Sounds like it’s more 30/70 Rudolph’s “fault”?
    I still say he’s doing what he’s told.

I still say he’s doing what he’s told.
    Okay, so, let's say he's doing what he's told. That would mean he looks for his primary receiver. Then, if he doesn't see he's open, the second look in his progression is the check down. Tell me, isn't that exactly how you protect a young QB while allowing him to grow? Start with all checkdown passes to the RB. Then, let him go through a 1 step progression. Once he has that, you move to a two step progression. Then, a three step. If one gets to be a bit much, you back up to the previous for a while.

All this talk about the coaching staff's inability to coach, and then they get blamed for doing it wrong when they actually coach a QB into playing halfway well.

The problem isn't the method or the style. It, in my opinion is the issue of Mason not yet being completely comfortable with timing at the NFL level. He's unsure of what is an "open" receiver and so he goes to his checkdown instead. As 86Ward says, that means it is Mason's "fault," and 86W properly put that word in quotation marks. Why? because it isn't fault as in he did something wrong, rather, it's "fault" as in that is where Mason is at in his QB development.

I have no idea why people think Mason should be able to handle an entire progression at this game speed. Since he isn't comfortable with time at the NFL level yet, he is also not yet able to throw players open. There were a few other plays that I didn't list as players getting open. However, had Ben or any mid to upper tier QB been under center, they would have thrown them open without an issue. Again, I don't expect Mason to be able to do that yet. But, I'm also not blaming the coaching staff for players not getting open, or being in a position where they can be thrown open. They are.

Side Note: Madden is simply an idiot.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Not wide-open with no one around, but NFL open.
    That is something that rookie QBs have to learn by experience. His one shot to an NFL open receiver wound up as an interception because it bounced off of JuJu's hands. Rudolph's just getting into the swing of things. Give him time.

Quote Originally Posted by Neversatisfied
    i think its time to give Duck some snaps with the first team offense.
    No. Just no.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I'm not going to profess to know exactly why there are so many checkdowns or passes within just a few yards of the line of scrimmage. I don't go back and watch game film to look for these things. My best guess is that Rudolph may not yet have adjusted to what is considered an open receiver in the NFL, as open in the NFL is a lot tighter than what open in college is.......so he might be afraid to release the ball into tighter coverage windows. It's also possible the coaches (Fichtner) are constantly telling him over and over "just don't turn the ball over" and this in turn has made Mason reticent to throw the ball downfield. I remember reading after Ben's first Super Bowl (SB 40) that leading up to that game that Cowher was in Ben's ear constantly telling him don't make mistakes, do this, don't do that..........that it totally made Ben question himself during the game. Ben had played great the previous 3 playoff games to get there, so the coaches should have just relaxed and let him play his game (if these stories are in fact true).

There are a lot of things I like about Rudolph. He does seem to go through his reads and not lock onto his first receiver. He just needs to process those reads more quickly I think. I also like that all indications are that he is a workaholic and will put in the effort to improve. Tough situations on the field also don't seem to faze him, and he has shown so far that he can respond to being down or facing adverse conditions. That last point is HUGE IMO, and that mental toughness always seems to separate QBs that have the potential for great things from those that don't.

I do have some concerns about his arm strength at this point, but I also have noticed that when his passes lack velocity or wobble that he tends to not step into those throws. I think those issues can be ironed out.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

People have short memories, yeah Duck won his first start, but he basically did the same thing that Mason's been doing. And he's been doing it worse, the one pass he threw in SD past 10 yards got intercepted.

Look, I like Duck Hodges as much as the next person, but there's a lot of college QB's who ball out at that level, who just can't cut it as a starter at the NFL level. Mason imo has a better chance of being that starter caliber guy. We have to be patient with the guy. No, he's never gonna be Ben, but as far as stats go he's playing at a Neil O'Donnell level, and honestly I'm ok with that right now.