Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's NOT Over!!! (Return of the BOZ)

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

It's NOT Over!!! (Return of the BOZ)

This season is not over!

We are now 4-4 and not only in the hunt for the AFC North also in the mix for Wild Card.

Mason Rudolph-
    Say what you will but this kid is stacking W's. Less we forget Mason's whole collegiate career was how great his deep ball accuracy . This check down "Game Manager" style of play is all coaches game-plan . If anything I can't wait when Mason blends the two styles.
    1. Check down Tommy Brady is considered the greatest of all time by dump offs to RBs. He made a whole career doing this.
    2. I do recall Ben Roethlisberger being tagged a game manager his first two seasons of his career. Look back at Bens first 10-20 games , the numbers are similiar to Mason's.

Jaylen Samuel
    He is such great weapon to have! I know he had that one fumble, but when we get conner back and jaylen back at full health. We can start closing out games on offense and not defense.

Defense:

This is the first time in awhile where I am not afraid of our defense losing the game. I think I heard they are 2nd in takeaways behind the Pats( who are having a record breaking defensive year) . Minka Fitzpatrick is amazing 100% worth the 1st round trade. Watt is turning into a star. Dupree is playing on fire for that contract!

Boz:

Silent killer having a comeback year. I am happy for this kid. He is having a great year. And a 51 yard shot made! Looks like he could of hit it at 54!

We are 4-4 and just won against a conference team.
    Ravens are 5-3
    Colts are 5-3

Way to early playoff picture : We are one game back from taking the division ravens(if they lose tonight against the Pats), and possible one game back for locking a wild card spot against the colts.

We got Rams, Browns, Bengals, and Browns the next 4 games. If we can go 3-1 I will be extremely happy here.

HERE WE GO!

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: It's NOT Over!!! (Return of the BOZ)

I'm actually very happy with Rudolph's performance in this game. He's taking shots downfield, but not taking unnecessary risks with the ball.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I can’t help wondering what Rudolph would be with a really good OC.

I know it’s a great sport around here to bash the OC, but I can’t be the only one around here that absolutely KNEW that if we have a tiny lead with less than 8 minutes left we were going just keep giving the ball back to the other team and count on our defense to win it.

It’s kind of sickening that we only got one offensive TD in the game. That simply won’t give us any kind of chance in most games.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I'm actually very happy with Rudolph's performance in this game. He's taking shots downfield, but not taking unnecessary risks with the ball.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say "happy." However, I'm definitely satisfied with him right now. While he isn't necessarily helping the team, he absolutely is not holding the team back like I'd expect most first-year (on the field) QBs to do.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Go Taperiots!!!

I just threw up all over myself after saying that.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Rudolph needs some work but he’s not terrible by any means. I mentioned it in the Rudolph thread too but I think the offense is holding him back more so then Mason himself...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Rudolph needs some work but he’s not terrible by any means. I mentioned it in the Rudolph thread too but I think the offense is holding him back more so then Mason himself...
    Only way to tell that is to see if Rudolph is taking checkdowns instead of gaining yards because no one is open or the play was designed to go to the RB OR if the play design is for something bigger and Rudolph is not seeing NFL open options and taking the check down because he is slow to decide and risk averse.

Two very very different things that would look the same on TV. Hopefully, somewhere on the internet this week, there will be a detailed breakdown that helps to clarify.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

This team could easily be 6-2. I hate to say it but "Go Pats!"

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Only way to tell that is to see if Rudolph is taking checkdowns instead of gaining yards because no one is open or the play was designed to go to the RB OR if the play design is for something bigger and Rudolph is not seeing NFL open options and taking the check down because he is slow to decide and risk averse.

Two very very different things that would look the same on TV. Hopefully, somewhere on the internet this week, there will be a detailed breakdown that helps to clarify.
    13 of 26 completions today were to Samuels(5.6yard average). I don't know the total times Samuels was targeted but that was easy math there. Rudolph hit Wash 4 times for a 17.2 yard average so that math says he went downfield to Wash. The other 9 completions were 6yard or less average. This equals 22of26 completions were 6yards or less from the LOS on average. I do not know the exact call the OC is sending in but I would bet quite a bit the targets are mostly on the QB. There was an open Johnson for a TD had Rudolph seen him that they showcased on a replay. Not saying Fichtner is doing some awesome job but most of the offensive woes fall on the rookie QB and offensive injuries.

Steelers are 4-4 at the halfway point of the season after losing Ben and starting the season 1-4. I think this has been one of the more FUN seasons as a steeler's fan just because I have no idea what's going to happen next. This team is about as unpredictable as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    13 of 26 completions today were to Samuels(5.6yard average). I don't know the total times Samuels was targeted but that was easy math there. Rudolph hit Wash 4 times for a 17.2 yard average so that math says he went downfield to Wash. The other 9 completions were 6yard or less average. This equals 22of26 completions were 6yards or less from the LOS on average. I do not know the exact call the OC is sending in but I would bet quite a bit the targets are mostly on the QB. There was an open Johnson for a TD had Rudolph seen him that they showcased on a replay. Not saying Fichtner is doing some awesome job but most of the offensive woes fall on the rookie QB and offensive injuries.

Steelers are 4-4 at the halfway point of the season after losing Ben and starting the season 1-4. I think this has been one of the more FUN seasons as a steeler's fan just because I have no idea what's going to happen next. This team is about as unpredictable as it gets.
    Screw fun.

My heart hates fun when it comes to Steelers football. I'm getting old. It can't take it like it used to!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Screw fun.

My heart hates fun when it comes to Steelers football. I'm getting old. It can't take it like it used to!
    Every Sunday:

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I'm optimistic but the OC is going to cause us some losses down the road. We got lucky today overcoming his safe play.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This team can go 8-0 the rest of the way. Probably won't but it is possible with the way the schedule sets up the rest of the way.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Go Taperiots!!!

I just threw up all over myself after saying that.

Go take a shower!!!

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Brahns dropped another one to the Broncos. Next up: Ratbirds host the Cheatriots...
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

And the brahns lost, if the ravens lose, it's a perfect Sunday

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

There is an entire progression on every single play called. There are almost no plays in a playbook that are designed to go to the check down. It's called a check down because that's where you go when you have gone through the progressions and the other priority reads are all not there.

There are some plays designed to get a single target open, but there is ALMOST NEVER a play designed without other options built into the play. The only thing that comes to mind is if the offense is in max protection and has a single WR running an actual pattern. In that case, if it's not open, the quarterback throws the ball away or has to make a play with his legs.

The only plays with limited options are screens, because the offensive line has to work in concert with the QB and RB on a play designed to go to one player. If the pass doesn't go to the RB on time, the OL will get a penalty for ineligible man downfield, as that is the design of the play for them to move down the field and block.

As for knowing if the coaches are telling him to take one, maybe two reads and then check down or throw it away....it's possible in some situations, but IMO, Rudolph is the one that just simply isn't seeing the field well enough to trust some of his throws. I think that will come to him in time, but I just don't see an OC telling their young quarterback that the organization hopes is the future franchise quarterback of the Steelers to throw every pass within a few yards of the LOS. That just isn't building anything long-term if that is the plan. I believe Rudolph is trying to limit his mistakes and just doesn't trust many throws down the field. I would think that on some plays, they are giving him half the field to make the reads and the throws. It simplifies things while still encouraging throws down the field if the opportunity is there.

In short, I would bet just about anything that it is at least 70% on Rudolph.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    This team could easily be 6-2. I hate to say it but "Go Pats!"
    I just puked again. Thanks for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Go take a shower!!!
    I’m just gonna sit here and stink.

Steelers have 29 sacks through 8 games. That is the most they’ve had in the first 8 games of a season since 2008 (when they had 32).

2008... 4 losses... 15 wins... Lombardi
    2019... 4 losses... ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I lean towards the receivers not being able to get open. I think Fichtner runs a very basic offense and routes. Just watching this offense on a weekly basis versus the teams that they are playing, you can see a major difference in how routes are run and the way other teams will run crossing routes and set plays up from previous formations and plays to scheme guys open. The Steelers don’t seem to do that...or maybe I’m just not seeing in on the Steelers side of the ball...

10-6!

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Of course we will need to hope for a wildcard as the Rats look like they will beat the Pats

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I lean towards the receivers not being able to get open. I think Fichtner runs a very basic offense and routes. Just watching this offense on a weekly basis versus the teams that they are playing, you can see a major difference in how routes are run and the way other teams will run crossing routes and set plays up from previous formations and plays to scheme guys open. The Steelers don’t seem to do that...or maybe I’m just not seeing in on the Steelers side of the ball...
    I could be talked into that. But I'd like to see a breakdown from more than the TV angles. Hopefully someone will put one up on the interwebs this week.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I can’t believe the Ravens had to totally shit on our day by beating the Patriots.

They were so god damned average against us and we blew it. Yet now they’re the darlings of the NFL.

Sometimes I just hate football.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I should take one for the team and become a Patriots fan. They actually have a losing record when I cheer for them, but damn near undefeated when I cheer against them. Seriously fuck those guys

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I can’t believe the Ravens had to totally shit on our day by beating the Patriots.

They were so god damned average against us and we blew it. Yet now they’re the darlings of the NFL.

Sometimes I just hate football.
    Let the Ravens have their spotlight now. They've earned it.

Plenty of football left. I'm more concerned about Steelers beating the Rams next week. If the Steelers don't win, then it doesn't make a difference. Get to Week 17 and kick their asses.

I could be talked into that. But I'd like to see a breakdown from more than the TV angles. Hopefully someone will put one up on the interwebs this week.
    I’m hoping the same. I’d like to see that the receivers are getting open and Mason just isn’t seeing it or having the confidence right now to make the throw. That could change at that could seriously be as easy as one throw to give him the confidence and snowball up from there.

If it’s Fichtner play designs, that’s a larger issue that clearly isn’t going to change...

Rams: haven’t looked good

Browns:

Bengals: aren’t giving up the #1 overall pick

Browns: more

Cards: very beatable

Bills: scary-good defense, awful offense

Jets:

Ravens: the division very well could come down to this game

Now, compare that to the Ravens’ schedule:

Bengals: aren’t giving up the #1 overall pick

Texans: first in their division

Rams: haven’t looked good

49ers: undefeated

Bills: scary-good defense, awful offense

Jets:

Browns: as bad as the Browns are, they play the Ravens tough

Steelers: the division very well could come down to this game

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Albert Breer of SI/MMQB had a big drink of black & gold Kool-Aid on the Steelers playoff chances while also assessing the Fitzpatrick trade in his column this morning

It feels like the Steelers have weathered the storm. The defense is hitting its stride, Mason Rudolph looks, at least, stable running the offense, and team has made it to .500, at 4-4. And the schedule softens from here. So it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to see Pittsburgh in it for the division title around Christmas....

I bet the Steelers wind up going 9-7 or 10-6, which would put the pick they traded for Miami for Minkah Fitzpatrick around 20. And if it’s the 20 pick that you lost, and you have Fitzpatrick for a total of $4.7 million the next two years (2020, 2021), that’ not such a bad deal at all.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/11/04/ru...vp-week-9-mmqb

Agree on the Minkah trade, but Steelers going 6-2 in the second half of the season while the Ravens go 4-4 (after watching last night’s game) seems like a stretch on both ends unless Jackson gets hurt