Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colts @ Steelers Game balls & goats

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Colts @ Steelers Game balls & goats

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Dupree needs praise also. 2 sacks.
    Agree, he was playing well and always around the football. I didn't have time to look but think Castonzo was playing opposite him and has been playing well this season. I thought Haden played well also.

the contributions of Nix and Washington go a bit under the radar. Run game is better with Nix and if Edmunds follows him on the goal line handoff, he walks into the end zone behind Nix and DeCastro. Washington made 3 contested catches that kept chains moving on poorly placed throws.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Bust Dongpree 2018 (16 games):
    5.5 sacks
    13 QB hits
    1 Forced Fumble

Bust Dongpree 2019 (8 games):
    6.0 sacks
    9 QB hits
    2 Forced
    Let’s not forget how good he’s been in run defense. And quite a few of his big plays were clutch, and really changed momentum of the game.

This is the Bud I really thought he would be this year... of course I thought it last year too.

Yes. I admit it. I am a Bud Dupree apologist!

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Minka and, the defense Boz, Watt.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    HAHAHA an idiot reporter at the Colts' presser actually questioned Frank Reich's decision to kick the 3 to win the game.
    I don’t understand. As opposed to doing what? It was 4th down, right?

Was it just a silly question meant to get a reaction, or did the reporter actually think the coach made a tactical mistake?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

AB’s first touch as an NFL player was a kickoff return for a TD.
    That was all the way back in 2010 though. I feel like he only did kickoff returns in 2010 and 2011? I think that was the last kickoff return for a TD...??

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Let’s not forget how good he’s been in run defense. And quite a few of his big plays were clutch, and really changed momentum of the game.

This is the Bud I really thought he would be this year... of course I thought it last year too.

Yes. I admit it. I am a Bud Dupree apologist!
    OK, but who have they played against with a winning record, other than the Colts with Brian Hoyer? Bengals, Dolphins, Chargers. That is where he is donging up the numbers.

I think you may have helped to coin a new phrase in the world of Steelers Message Boards. Dong-ologist.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Couldn't agree more. He is constantly making definitive statements about things on the field, then is proven to be 100% wrong when the video is shown.

He is very hard to listen to.
    But he never even revises his position... just moves on. And honestly, I can't stand even the sound of his voice at this point.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    But he never even revises his position... just moves on. And honestly, I can't stand even the sound of his voice at this point.

I know. He is really horrible.

I'm completely with you on this.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    OK, but who have they played against with a winning record, other than the Colts with Brian Hoyer? Bengals, Dolphins, Chargers. That is where he is donging up the numbers.

I think you may have helped to coin a new phrase in the world of Steelers Message Boards. Dong-ologist.
    I love the term Dong-ologist. But that sounds more like an expert in dong-ery. Like the person who puts out the dong report is a dong-ologist. I'm more of a dong-wagon fan. Or a dongophile. Something of that nature.

I realize that that everything the Steelers do this year is of a dong nature, given your specific parameters. That's fine with me. I'm just glad Vinatieri kicked it dong left!

I'll take the dong wins however I can get them.

I love the term Dong-ologist. But that sounds more like an expert in dong-ery. Like the person who puts out the dong report is a dong-ologist. I'm more of a dong-wagon fan. Or a dongophile. Something of that nature.

I realize that that everything the Steelers do this year is of a dong nature, given your specific parameters. That's fine with me. I'm just glad Vinatieri kicked it dong left!

I'll take the dong wins however I can get them.
    I hear ya. Dongologist is like Cap-ologist. Dongophile gets connotations of pedophile or audiophile, so maybe we should avoid that. Dong-wagoner or Dong-a-pologist is probably a better selection.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

End of the game
    3rd-&-1

If the Colts convert, they can run the clock down to 0 ...and then kick the game-winning FG. Conversely, a stop here might give the Colts a chance to kick the go-ahead FG, but there would be plenty of time for the Steelers to answer back. SUMMATION: This is a huge play.

Dupree responds by stuffing the RB for a loss. Dupree has to come all the way across/behind the LOS to make the play... and he did. That stop was HUGE.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

End of the game
    3rd-&-1

If the Colts convert, they can run the clock down to 0 ...and then kick the game-winning FG. Conversely, a stop here might give the Colts a chance to kick the go-ahead FG, but there would be plenty of time for the Steelers to answer back. SUMMATION: This is a huge play.

Dupree responds by stuffing the RB for a loss. Dupree has to come all the way across/behind the LOS to make the play... and he did. That stop was HUGE.

Exactly.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Game ball goes to Shankatari. He might be the all-time scorer in the NFL, but he is done.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Game ball goes to Shankatari. He might be the all-time scorer in the NFL, but he is done.
    Wow, that name just gave me a flashback to Sharknado Thomas, the safety from Syracuse that never did anything but get special teams penalties.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Not the first time the Colts missed against the Steelers. I think many of you forgot.

All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Both of those shanks came after blown calls by the refs, they almost screwed us over calling that Polamalu INT an incomplete pass, which would have iced the game if correctly called.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Both of those shanks came after blown calls by the refs, they almost screwed us over calling that Polamalu INT an incomplete pass, which would have iced the game if correctly called.
    But they overcame the reversal of the Troy INT then nearly suffered one of the worst last minute losses of all time - doubtful Jerome Bettis would have a restaurant on the North Side if Ben’s tackle and Vanderjagt had not bailed him out

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Not the first time the Colts missed against the Steelers. I think many of you forgot.

People also forget that was the Polamalu "football move" interception game, where we would've had it all but sewn up long ago if the ref was not a fuckface. I saw a sped-up replay of that game a couple months ago, and it still made me mad.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    People also forget that was the Polamalu "football move" interception game, where we would've had it all but sewn up long ago if the ref was not a fuckface. I saw a sped-up replay of that game a couple months ago, and it still made me mad.
    It's been years, but I vaguely recall the ref announcing after that play something to the effect of "After the interception...pass incomplete."

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    It's been years, but I vaguely recall the ref announcing after that play something to the effect of "After the interception...pass incomplete."
    That was also the game where the colts encroached the line and they had to make a call of either false start or offsides and instead they called "Do over" and picked up the flag.

I’m rewatching the condensed version of the game and it’s honestly making me sick. Apart from a few splash plays, they absolutely picked us apart for 3 and a half quarters.

And our offense looked inept most of the time.

Right now we seem to be literally good at NOTHING except kicking field goals and garnering the occasional splash play on defense. Thank Odin for sacks and turnovers.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’m rewatching the condensed version of the game and it’s honestly making me sick. Apart from a few splash plays, they absolutely picked us apart for 3 and a half quarters.
    It’s the Dick LeBeau / Bill Belichick “bend, but don’t break” defense. If you force the opposing offense to take 15 plays to get to the red-zone, along the way, they’re bound to make a mistake. Neither coach cared about yardage; their defenses were based on making a splash play.

Two games without Minkah:
    4 deep passes completed
    22 yards per reception
    passer rating: 141
    3 TDs, 0 INTs

Six games with Minkah:
    7 deep passes completed
    5 yards per reception
    passer rating: 10
    0 TDs, 4 INTs

It’s the Dick LeBeau / Bill Belichick “bend, but don’t break” defense. If you force the opposing offense to take 15 plays to get to the red-zone, along the way, they’re bound to make a mistake. Neither coach cared about yardage; their defenses were based on making a splash play.

Two games without Minkah:
    4 deep passes completed
    22 yards per reception
    passer rating: 141
    3 TDs, 0 INTs

Six games with Minkah:
    7 deep passes completed
    5 yards per reception
    passer rating: 10
    0 TDs, 4 INTs
    I think it is very much like the Dick LeBeau bend but don’t break syndrome, except that defense, in like ‘08 didn’t actually break and allow a third string QB to actually get 3 TD passes on us.

And we could absolutely stop the run back then. Now it looks like we’re getting gashed every which way until someone generates a turn over.

Maybe the colts just had the perfect play calls all game long. It was really reminiscent of playing the Patriots every year.

The Colts really did seem like the better overall football team. If I were a Colts fan I wouldn’t believe that the score was reflecting the game I was watching.

And we’ve been talking scenarios where we go into Baltimore and beat the Ravens? Unless major changes happen, like they sustain injuries while we get better at everything we do, we will not only lose, but we’ll get embarrassed.

I’m sorry for being all “sky is falling” but I just know how sick I’ll feel if I have to watch Lamar Jackson pick our defense apart with his ARM.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think it is very much like the Dick LeBeau bend but don’t break syndrome, except that defense, in like ‘08 didn’t actually break and allow a third string QB to actually get 3 TD passes on us.

And we could absolutely stop the run back then. Now it looks like we’re getting gashed every which way until someone generates a turn over.

Maybe the colts just had the perfect play calls all game long. It was really reminiscent of playing the Patriots every year.

The Colts really did seem like the better overall football team. If I were a Colts fan I wouldn’t believe that the score was reflecting the game I was watching.

And we’ve been talking scenarios where we go into Baltimore and beat the Ravens? Unless major changes happen, like they sustain injuries while we get better at everything we do, we will not only lose, but we’ll get embarrassed.

I’m sorry for being all “sky is falling” but I just know how sick I’ll feel if I have to watch Lamar Jackson pick our defense apart with his ARM.
    The offense has to help the defense. Offense has become better at sustaining possessions, so the defenses isn't constantly on the field. But think back to '08 or even earlier in the 2000's. The offense would convert opportunities to TDs. Put the opponent down multiple scores and the defense would really clamp down. The other team would have to go one dimensional and the Steelers would just tee off.

Rewind through the Colts game. Multiple "failed" red zone opportunities to score touchdowns. Edmunds follows DeCastro and that is a TD instead of FG. 17-16 at the half instead of Steelers down 3. Start the 4th with a TD instead of another FG and it is now 31-18 and the game is essentially over early in the 4th quarter.

IMO, the loss of Tuitt hurts a lot in the run game and pass rush. Heyward is still good, but age is catching up, Hargrave is just good, but not great and Alualu seems like a rotational guy, not a starter. The current lack of talent and depth on the D line definitely hurts when playing against an O line that can run block.

It wasn’t my intention to match up player-for-player the 2008 defense versus the 2019 defense. That 2008 squad was loaded. That said, the philosophy is the same. Belichick has used it for years.

The problem in the Colts game was that we “broke”. Had Mark Barron not given up a gimme TD, it’s an entirely different game. The other two TDs had similar breakdowns by the defense (which they hadn’t done much this season).

We played Lamar. If not for an unfortunate fumble, we were on our way to beating him.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The offense has to help the defense. Offense has become better at sustaining possessions, so the defenses isn't constantly on the field. But think back to '08 or even earlier in the 2000's. The offense would convert opportunities to TDs. Put the opponent down multiple scores and the defense would really clamp down. The other team would have to go one dimensional and the Steelers would just tee off.
    Right now it is simply a bad offense with no sustained running game to take the pressure off Mason

Total yardage, Football Outsiders DVOA ratings, and TD red zone scoring efficiency for the offense are brutal

28th total yards per game (290)/27th passing yards per game/26th rushing yards per game
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...alse&Submit=Go

28th DVOA total offense
    https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff/2019

28th red zone TD scoring percentage (38%) (FWIW surprised to see the Chiefs down with the bottom feeders for this stat)
    https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...ne-scoring-pct

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Right now it is simply a bad offense with no sustained running game to take the pressure off Mason

Total yardage, Football Outsiders DVOA ratings, and TD red zone scoring efficiency for the offense are brutal

28th total yards per game (290)/27th passing yards per game/26th rushing yards per game
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...alse&Submit=Go

28th DVOA total offense
    https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff/2019

28th red zone TD scoring percentage (38%) (FWIW surprised to see the Chiefs down with the bottom feeders for this stat)
    https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...ne-scoring-pct
    Not surprised at any of those stats. While I am really glad that the team is winning and playing competitive football week in and week out, I think I can also admit that the 2019 Steelers offense is woefully bad.

Unless the defense gives the offense a short field, they basically don't do too much. That is almost certainly not a sustainable pattern.