Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Were One Of Teams Looking To Trade For RB Le’Veon Bell

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers Were One Of Teams Looking To Trade For RB Le’Veon Bell

“I found out through my agent he had talked to the Jets and there were teams like Houston, the Packers, the Kansas City Chiefs and, surprisingly, the Steelers were all in the mix in trying to trade for me," Bell explained. "The Jets were really asking for a high price and a lot for me. On top of that, my actual contract was kind of tough for teams to deal with, which is understandable. Not too many teams want to pay that high of a price for a running back."

Drafted by the Steelers in 2013, Bell sat out the entirety of the 2018 season in a contract dispute with the club. Pittsburgh has since moved on with James Conner, Jaylen Samuels and Benny Snell at running back, but according to Bell, the Steelers were exploring bringing the back back to the Steel City. Not that Bell wants to leave Gotham any time soon.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...o-trade-for-me

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Steelers Were One Of Teams Looking To Trade For RB Le’Veon Bell

What was the holdup? A 3 and a 5 should've been more than enough ...
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I think Bell is lying just to stir something.

A trade makes no logical sense considering A. They don't have capital and B. Why would they want him back after he quit on the team?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

one year vet minimum

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

This is my official offer to Le'Veon Bell to come to my house and tidy up my garage for the princely sum of 12 Wal-Mart hot wings. But he only gets drummies, 'cuz I have dibs on the flappies.

Now he can say that GoSlash Sports "made an offer" as well.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I figure they made a call. After all, the Jets would've been on the hook for all the guaranteed cash.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Anything more to this besides his word for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I figure they made a call. After all, the Jets would've been on the hook for all the guaranteed cash.
    Yep, and it makes a lot of sense. The line knows how he runs. He knows the overall offensive system. We are down a couple of running backs at the moment. And, we are leaning much heavier on the run that we have in the past. Why not see what we could do? I mean, in the end, it would have been hilarious. We would have had Bell on a long term deal worth less than what we already offered and having to pay out even less than that because another team was paying for him.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, and it makes a lot of sense. The line knows how he runs. He knows the overall offensive system. We are down a couple of running backs at the moment. And, we are leaning much heavier on the run that we have in the past. Why not see what we could do? I mean, in the end, it would have been hilarious. We would have had Bell on a long term deal worth less than what we already offered and having to pay out even less than that because another team was paying for him.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Would rather have gotten Manny Sanders back instead of Bell

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if we would be able to tag him again for the first-time number after that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

"...On top of that, my actual contract was kind of tough for teams to deal with, which is understandable. Not too many teams want to pay that high of a price for a running back."

New York was willing to pay a lot for a running back when the Jets signed Bell to a four-year, $52.5 million contract in the offseason.

Seems to me the Steelers once offered you SEVENTY MILLION, brainiac...

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Would rather have gotten Manny Sanders back instead of Bell
    Agreed, even though the guy couldn't catch a cold the last time he was in the Burgh.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’d welcome it in a second. Would’ve instantly upgraded the offense. Run and pass game...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

GMs talk. It’s what they do. A conversation about him doesn’t mean that we ever made any kid of offer.

How could we? We have almost no draft capital and we can’t afford him.

But in the hypothetical world where we could afford him, I’d have no problem taking him back. He was never a locker room problem and he was a huge difference maker.

And he’d do a lot better behind our O line than he’s doing on the Jets.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think it was the Pittsburgh area Dairy Queen that was trying to trade for him. They loved the way he handled the drive through.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

He should’ve never left and I would guess that he knows it now. Just a dumb move to not take the Steelers contract, hold out, waste a year, then land with the jets. Way to sabotage your own career and legacy.

it would be good to get him back with all the reconciliations that come with it, but looks like the jets were asking for too much. I actually like Conner more if he would cut down on the fumbles - he’s got more pull away speed. Bell could never break a long run cause he could never pull away from defenders.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    He should’ve never left and I would guess that he knows it now. Just a dumb move to not take the Steelers contract, hold out, waste a year, then land with the jets. Way to sabotage your own career and legacy.

it would be good to get him back with all the reconciliations that come with it, but looks like the jets were asking for too much. I actually like Conner more if he would cut down on the fumbles - he’s got more pull away speed. Bell could never break a long run cause he could never pull away from defenders.
    Bell might not have had incredible top end speed, but he really was a lethal weapon. You never had to take him off the field, and could do so much with him that you could limit defensive schemes.

I really think we would have been a playoff team if he’d decided to show up.

But right now I’m not sure we could afford to spend that kind of money at the RB position. We’re not exactly swimming in cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post

Had he stayed with this team and came to camp the last two years, he'd be on track for a hall of fame career. I know people mock his 3-point something rush average his last season here. But what they fail to recognize is how many times he had defenders within 1 yard of him while still in the backfield, and still managed to make positive yardage. Of all running backs, I liken him to Jerome Bettis. Not because of running style, but because of results. Both players would turn a 1 yard loss into a 2 yard gain. It might look bad on the stat sheet, but it is a boon for the team. In all the Bell-hate mania, we kind of forgot that.

Steelers Were One Of Teams Looking To Trade For RB Le’Veon Bell

I’m still of the camp that the run game, if it had Bell (and the offense in general for that matter), would be much better off with Bell back there. I like Conner, I like him a lot but Bell just brings a totally different dynamic to the RB position that teams need to worry about that Conner doesn’t bring. Bell was never going to be the savior of the Jets...no one player would be. I think everyone knows he was pretty much stuck (by his own choice and decisions) in a position where he would most likely fail.

I have no ill-will towards the guy. He was always a good teammate, good locker room guy, good with the fans. He just got greedy and thought more of himself than he was worth and it backfired.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If the Jets has wanted to acquire a pick but keep Bell’s salary, I’d have done it.

Bell may be an asshole, but he is not 100% a dick. We need his help.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

I think he is a better rapper than runner these days for the asking price.

I downloaded his official album Post Interview​ for free off of Limewire. I liked it so much I transferred it to tape myself to play it on long drives.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If the Jets has wanted to acquire a pick but keep Bell’s salary, I’d have done it.

I don’t know, but if it’s a choice of being a dick or an asshole, I’d rather be a dick.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Bell is overrated. He ran behind an elite O-line with 3 pro bowls, he played with a FHOF QB, and he played with nice weapons at receiver. Take away all that, and the best he can do is 70 yards in one game. With how his Jets tenure is going, it is clear he can't make an offense better, he needs a great offense to make him look better. Change my mind

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Sounds believable.
    Hater = Realist

Steelers confirmed today.

Bet Bell really wished he wasn't on the Jets now lol, we got a new player in the Tua sweepstakes

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Bell is overrated. He ran behind an elite O-line with 3 pro bowls, he played with a FHOF QB, and he played with nice weapons at receiver. Take away all that, and the best he can do is 70 yards in one game. With how his Jets tenure is going, it is clear he can't make an offense better, he needs a great offense to make him look better. Change my mind
    You mean that same line that, outside of one big rush, helped their RBs to 1.875 yards a carry today? That great offensive line? (Bell's average today was 3.9 yards). I don't think the line made Bell good. Bell made the line look a little better than they were, and now we're seeing it with the struggles to run the ball.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    You mean that same line that, outside of one big rush, helped their RBs to 1.875 yards a carry today? That great offensive line? (Bell's average today was 3.9 yards). I don't think the line made Bell good. Bell made the line look a little better than they were, and now we're seeing it with the struggles to run the ball.
    Shhh. You can't use facts to move people of their pre formatted positions.

Everyone knows the Steelers offensive line makes superstars out of everyone who runs behind it because they are gritty and elite. If the Steelers would just run the ball more, they would totally win - especially against bad teams that they can impose their will on. On top of that, anyone who turns down a reasonable offer from the Steelers and their ownership is simply a traitorous malcontent that doesn't know how good they have it.

No point it walking anyone through the Steelers offensive line's repeated failures in run blocking over the past 3+ seasons and their consistent inability to run the ball in obvious running situations regardless of RB and QB.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post