Thread: Browns QB Baker Mayfield Throws Hissy Fit

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Browns QB Baker Mayfield Throws Hissy Fit

Baker is baby stepping his way to Ryan Leaf territory...

https://www.tmz.com/2019/10/30/baker...veland-browns/

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Browns QB Baker Mayfield Throws Hissy Fit

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Baker is baby stepping his way to Ryan Leaf territory...

https://www.tmz.com/2019/10/30/baker...veland-browns/
    This was not Baker taking on some guy who blogs from his basement. Tony Grossi, the reporter Baker got into it with, has been around for a long time in Cleveland.

Just keeps getting better and better for Progressive Insurance deciding to make this guy the public face of the company. Need to go with more Flo, less Baker.

But since Baker brought his rep with him to Cleveland no real surprise how this is devolving

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

While I don't think Baker handled this very well, I do think it's an excellent example of one of my favorite soapboxes.

Fans claim to hate cliches and cool shades answers but if an athlete goes off a bit, that's bad too.

If you want "real" answers, you gotta let the occasional outburst slide. But we don't, so we get canned bullshit 90+% of the time.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    While I don't think Baker handled this very well, I do think it's an excellent example of one of my favorite soapboxes.

Fans claim to hate cliches and cool shades answers but if an athlete goes off a bit, that's bad too.

If you want "real" answers, you gotta let the occasional outburst slide. But we don't, so we get canned bullshit 90+% of the time.
    You can be as edgy as you want if you just want to get paid for playing football as long as you produce on the field.

You want endorsement deals for boring ass products like insurance the best practice is to have an image as an amiable Peyton or Rodgers (and their endorsement heir apparent Mahomes) type - Rodgers got his coach fired but the general public does not see Rodger’s fingerprints on that takedown.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

For the player/coach/celebrity, they have to give canned answers...otherwise this shitstorm type of trash happens...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I don't see what was so bad about what he said. A little rough, but he answered the questions. Clearly he was pissed about losing and took it out on the guy, but shit happens.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

All hype and fake bravado and hasn't done shit.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't see what was so bad about what he said. A little rough, but he answered the questions. Clearly he was pissed about losing and took it out on the guy, but shit happens.
    Me too. Reminded me of when Beyce Harper went off about clown questions.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

I had a suspicion before the season that the Browns would disappoint. Huge expectations on a talented team with huge egos, all being marshalled by a head coach with zero head coaching experience. What could possibly go wrong?

What I didn't see coming was how rapidly the team would descend into utter chaos. We're not even at the half-way mark of the season and the wheels are already flying off of Cleveland's bus. Simply amazing.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Me too. Reminded me of when Beyce Harper went off about clown questions.
    ... or when AB went off on Bouchette about his being a clown.

These "respected" writers get all butt hurt when they get responses like "you don't play the game" or "you don't understand" after a prodding line of questions that are just restructured in the slightest of ways.
    They will not accept the first answer, if it's not to their liking... Then get their feelings hurt when someone blows a fuse and lashes out.

He should just expect there are going to be some dumb questions and take the coach speak approach and say "next question" or "Is that all".

This is no big deal, imho. But he obviously needs some media response training. I'm sure this writer will now take take the low road on anything he writes about Mr. Baker for awhile.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

This is why you don't shower a young QB with adoration for having a so-so season. MVP Baker Mayfield thought he was the next big thing but ended up being a poor man's Jeff George lol

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    ... or when AB went off on Bouchette about his being a clown.

These "respected" writers get all butt hurt when they get responses like "you don't play the game" or "you don't understand" after a prodding line of questions that are just restructured in the slightest of ways.
    They will not accept the first answer, if it's not to their liking... Then get their feelings hurt when someone blows a fuse and lashes out.

He should just expect there are going to be some dumb questions and take the coach speak approach and say "next question" or "Is that all".

This is no big deal, imho. But he obviously needs some media response training. I'm sure this writer will now take take the low road on anything he writes about Mr. Baker for awhile.
    Too true. I actually wish more athletes answered questions exactly like this. If you listen to those press conferences, these guys ask (almost universally) the DUMBEST questions. It is amazing no one gets punched on a regular basis.

I think instead of just always having a non-confrontational cliche ready to go, athletes and coaches should continue to call out idiotic questions and questions that are designed to back-up the story the reporter has essentially already written.

Sports reporters are, by and large, really bad at thinking for themselves.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

While I agree that the press asks stupid questions, they do that to every player and coach in the league. What has Baker done to deserve a pass on his actions? IMHO he's an over rated hot headed QB who happens to play in Leaveland. Every year their team is the paper champions that are always going to challenge for the AFCN title and every year they disappoint. Every year they disappoint their fans and I am sure they want answers as well. Maybe the press feels they are asking the questions that those disappointed browns fans would ask if they could??? IDK but I don't give baker a pass on this one.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I agree with Mojo on this one. When reporters ask inflammatory questions in a lame attempt to stir up drama, they deserve pushback. I wish the public put as much focus on bad journalism as they do on hot- headed responses.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

That’s all the reporters want is that kind of reaction. They don’t really care about anything else but getting that “news breaking” reaction...

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Shits Given: 0

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

"Jesus Tony"... and walking out is a hissy fit? Okay. Unprofessional... sure. Could have handled it better... absolutely. A hissy fit...... no.

Browns QB Baker Mayfield Throws Hissy Fit

Kinda is a hissy fit...was an angry emotional outburst by Mayfield...lol. I kinda think that’s what a hissy fit is. Maybe not a temper tantrum scale “hissy fit”, but a mild one...yes.

But alas, not really the point of the post...lol.