Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mason Rudolph Comparisons

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Mason Rudolph Comparisons

4 starts in who are some legitimate QB comparisons for Mason Rudolph? Not so much looking at glimpses of what he could be, what current/past NFL QBs does his game compare to today? Curious to see where this starts and how much it changes if at all by the end of the season.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Mason Rudolph Comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    4 starts in who are some legitimate QB comparisons for Mason Rudolph? Not so much looking at glimpses of what he could be, what current/past NFL QBs does his game compare to today? Curious to see where this starts and how much it changes if at all by the end of the season.
    AJ McCarron? (Bama then Bengals backup who played QB in the Burfict/AB playoff game)

Big numbers in college against non-NFL level defenders, no cannon for an arm, not particularly mobile or a running threat

Hope that assessment changes over the next two months for me

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Chad Pennington

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Pennington
    Dalton
    less mobile Neil Odonnell.
    found this one on the internet -- Elvis Grbac

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Jon Kitna

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

I’m going to give him a full season before I start looking for comparisons that have some meaning.

4 games, missing time after he got his brain scrambled...definitely didn’t look good at all at the start, but he rebounded pretty well.

As others have mentioned, the #1 goal this season is to find out if he’s a QB you’re committed to going forward post-Ben.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'm looking to see how he self-corrects his mistakes last night. Based on what I've read, he'll do just that. I like the Chad P. comparison. And I'd take a healthy "Chad" for the decade of the 20's.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    I’m going to give him a full season before I start looking for comparisons that have some meaning.

4 games, missing time after he got his brain scrambled...definitely didn’t look good at all at the start, but he rebounded pretty well.

As others have mentioned, the #1 goal this season is to find out if he’s a QB you’re committed to going forward post-Ben.
    Agreed, We will see at seasons end.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Neil O'Donnell. More of a short-yardage passer / game manager who doesn't make many mistakes. (that was my assessment before this game, I still think it's accurate)

With that said, I hope he's not a choker in big games like O'Donnell was.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm looking to see how he self-corrects his mistakes last night. Based on what I've read, he'll do just that. I like the Chad P. comparison. And I'd take a healthy "Chad" for the decade of the 20's.
    I agree with this also. I think Mason is a perfectionist, which isn't bad, he just needs to get some of Ben in his game.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    What shetsh him apart is hish miiiiinnnnddd. (Slurred in my best drunk-Joe-Namath voice ...)

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    What shetsh him apart is hish miiiiinnnnddd. (Slurred in my best drunk-Joe-Namath voice ...)
    Say hi to Suzy Kolber!

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Pennington
    Dalton
    less mobile Neil Odonnell.
    found this one on the internet -- Elvis Grbac
    less mobile O’Donnell? I think Rudolph has already shown he can move around better than NO.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Kirk Cousins?

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Kirk Cousins?
    That's probably pretty close. Me personally, I think Mason is going to develop just fine. A LOT of QB's struggle in their first year under center in the NFL. Peyton Manning comes to mind right away. Now, Im not saying that Mason is going to be Peyton, but damn, its only been four games for the kid. Let's exercise some patience with him.

If it goes bad,maybe Sam Bradford?

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    That's probably pretty close. Me personally, I think Mason is going to develop just fine. A LOT of QB's struggle in their first year under center in the NFL. Peyton Manning comes to mind right away. Now, Im not saying that Mason is going to be Peyton, but damn, its only been four games for the kid. Let's exercise some patience with him.
    I'll try. Not my strong suit.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I'll try. Not my strong suit.
    I can tell.

So I don't mean to sound preachy, but do you exercise patience with students new to college? There is an adjustment period for all major changes in our lives, some adjust quicker than others. Some never adjust and you get Ryan Leaf.

Absolutely, I do. I'm far far more patient in real life. Especially in non football realms!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

It obviously is a totally different business and media setup now, but wonder how Bradshaw not really getting it together until December of his fifth year during the first Super Bowl run would have played out in today’s environment

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Kirk Cousins?
    I may be able to live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Just coming full circle and saying Tommy Maddox

Senior Member Array title="PalmerSteel is on a distinguished road"> PalmerSteel's Avatar

How about Ben Roethlesburger?!

First 4 starts
    ben - 761 yds - 5TD - 2INT
    Mason-785yds -7TD - 2INT

Ben had a hall of fame RB, All pro Line, and a veteran laden amazing defense to lead the way. Way too early to compare him to anything less. R-E-L-A-X
    "I think they can count on me. And I want them to be able to count on me."
    ~ Big Ben Roethlisberger, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by PalmerSteel View Post

First 4 starts
    Mason-785yds -7TD - 2INT

Ben had a hall of fame RB, All pro Line, and a veteran laden amazing defense to lead the way. Way too early to compare him to anything less. R-E-L-A-X

Yep!

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by PalmerSteel View Post

First 4 starts
    Mason-785yds -7TD - 2INT

The difference between the two is that you knew Ben instantly would be THE GUY. I was convinced watching Ben that by his 3rd game the Steelers couldn't go back and by the 4th start at Dallas it was iced, and after the bye week when he torched the Pats it was WOW!
    Ruldolph I'm not sold on. In saying that when he got lit up that play he made was Benesque so that impressed me. But that's been it so far.
    I don't see that 'zip' on his passes like a Marino (not saying he has to be that way) but maybe he's more of a touch guy and that's fine just when he puts the ball up it looks soft to me.

Steelers D is looking pretty solid, not legendary, but super solid and it can get the ball back something that has been missing for about 5 years lol

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I posted this in the HERO/GOAT thread and I still believe it. With some more experience he could be a good Neil O'Donnell. So unless we build a championship caliber defense around him I'm not expecting him to be Ben's replacement.

His receivers really bailed him out in the second half on some really bad throws. He played "good enough" against a really bad team to win, but IMHO he is not the man and here is why:

- His deep balls lack zip and accuracy.
    - He under throws guys horribly (again lack of zip).
    - He misses wide open guys.
    - He has no mobility whatsoever (I'm not asking him to be Lamar Jackson, just not a statue).

Yes I know it's only this 4th NFL start but compare and contrast him to Ben at that point of his career. Ben took the reigns and ran with it. Yes Ben had a great defense to back him up but that 2004 season Ben played lights out without fear.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    I posted this in the HERO/GOAT thread and I still believe it. With some more experience he could be a good Neil O'Donnell. So unless we build a championship caliber defense around him I'm not expecting him to be Ben's replacement.

His receivers really bailed him out in the second half on some really bad throws. He played "good enough" against a really bad team to win, but IMHO he is not the man and here is why:

- His deep balls lack zip and accuracy.
    - He under throws guys horribly (again lack of zip).
    - He misses wide open guys.
    - He has no mobility whatsoever (I'm not asking him to be Lamar Jackson, just not a statue).

Yes I know it's only this 4th NFL start but compare and contrast him to Ben at that point of his career. Ben took the reigns and ran with it. Yes Ben had a great defense to back him up but that 2004 season Ben played lights out without fear.
    Ben also has the best rushing attack in the league that year. The only thing I question is the throwing behind WRs, he didn’t do that pre-concussion and in the preseason, I think that might have been the rust/fog. In fact I recall in the pre-season he was far more accurate and that is why I liked him. I will wait till after Indy to see if that was just this games rust/fog or if it is a thing going forward.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Ben also has the best rushing attack in the league that year. The only thing I question is the throwing behind WRs, he didn’t do that pre-concussion and in the preseason, I think that might have been the rust/fog. In fact I recall in the pre-season he was far more accurate and that is why I liked him. I will wait till after Indy to see if that was just this games rust/fog or if it is a thing going forward.
    if he's still 'foggy' as you say why was he even playing to begin with?
    because he played there's no excuse he was a dumpster fire in the first half and got bailed out in the 2nd half by JuJu et al.
    So far Mason has only made that one play that impressed me circa Ben 2004-maybe 09ish when he scrambled and got popped.
    aside from that pedestrian at best but 9 more to go to see what he's got...

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

He was still off the first half, the second half he was much better, I expect him to be better this week also. He will hit the crossing routes just fine as he did before this game.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    He was still off the first half, the second half he was much better, I expect him to be better this week also. He will hit the crossing routes just fine as he did before this game.
    Yeah one thing I liked was that he showed mental toughness and bounced back. 22 days of not playing a snap will have some rust involved, hopefully that's all shaken off since the next test will be a tough one.