Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mason Rudolph Comparisons

Re: Mason Rudolph Comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    I'd only counter argue that I think Rudolph is on a bad team. This offense is putrid with or without Mason

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    The drops aren't helping and the run game stutters. But there are two main problems right now. One is injuries. The other is the QB. Until teams respect him and stop putting so many guys in the box, you'll keep seeing a horrible run game and blitzes every other play.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    The drops aren't helping and the run game stutters. But there are two main problems right now. One is injuries. The other is the QB. Until teams respect him and stop putting so many guys in the box, you'll keep seeing a horrible run game and blitzes every other play.
    True and our starting rb can never stay healthy as well. RB should be a priority early next draft!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Watching Driskel run the Lions. Says something that I'm wishing he played for the Steelers. Sad part is that Driskel isn't any good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Watching Driskel run the Lions. Says something that I'm wishing he played for the Steelers. Sad part is that Driskel isn't any good.

Landry who? Haha. I'm a broken record but I still think he could be better with a coach. His feet and body control just don't look good. BUT he still doesn't seem to have the Wow factor you're looking for in your next starting QB

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The sad part about this is it’s buying certain coaches on the staff more years...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Ben has an awful, four-interception game in 2017 (two were pick-sixes)... and that was with Bell and AB.

Everyone remembers the 2008 Eagles fiasco. The pocket collapsed around Ben... and he played like complete dog crap (4 INTs).

I am NOT comparing Rudolph to Ben. Don’t tangent that way. My point is that “4 INT” games happen to even the best QBs.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Could be worse - imagine being a Bears fan and knowing your team traded up to grab Trubisky with Mahomes and Watson available

Of course here was the hot take on the Chiefs drafting Mahomes

Grade: C-

Analysis
    : Calling Mahomes a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/2017-nfl-draft-grades-picks-analysis-result

Drafting a QB is rolling dice - Steelers took a gamble by burning a third round pick and looks like they lost

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Ben has an awful, four-interception game in 2017 (two were pick-sixes)... and that was with Bell and AB.

Everyone remembers the 2008 Eagles fiasco. The pocket collapsed around Ben... and he played like complete dog crap (4 INTs).

I am NOT comparing Rudolph to Ben. Don’t tangent that way. My point is that “4 INT” games happen to even the best QBs.
    2008 vs the Eagles he got sacked 8 times.
    Only thrown 4 or more picks 3 times in a game in his career
    2006 @ Oakland
    2008 vs Giants (also the game where Harrison played long snapper lol)
    2016 vs Jaguars (career high 5)

But agreed even the best QBs can look like A$$ on any given Sunday...

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

The Rudolph experiment is over, he's a back up at best, and without an excess of turnovers, or a defensive score struggles to win games.

It might be time to start Duck.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    The Rudolph experiment is over, he's a back up at best, and without an excess of turnovers, or a defensive score struggles to win games.

It might be time to start Duck.
    I think the coaches will allow him a chance to bounce back, but a repeat performance like last thursday and you might get your wish

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Terry Bradshaw wasn’t any star when he first started...just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Could be worse - imagine being a Bears fan and knowing your team traded up to grab Trubisky with Mahomes and Watson available

Of course here was the hot take on the Chiefs drafting Mahomes

Grade: C-

Analysis
    : Calling Mahomes a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/2017-nfl-draft-grades-picks-analysis-result

Drafting a QB is rolling dice - Steelers took a gamble by burning a third round pick and looks like they lost
    Agreed. I'm not really going to try and retroactively grade the pick. It was a good idea at the time and may still bear fruit.

He just looks so over-matched and lost on the football field. Hard to imagine a scenario where he turns this around and develops into the next great draft story. But stranger things and all that.

Also, Hodges is a cool story and all, but yeah....no. I would rather see Paxton Lynch get booted up than Hodges.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I think the coaches will allow him a chance to bounce back, but a repeat performance like last thursday and you might get your wish
    but replace him with whom? Hodges? Probably more of the same,

maybe give Paxton a shot,

I suppose if Rudolph plays like crap again and they lose to the bengals there’s nothing left to lose at that point.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    but replace him with whom? Hodges? Probably more of the same,

maybe give Paxton a shot,

I suppose if Rudolph plays like crap again and they lose to the bengals there’s nothing left to lose at that point.
    In that scenario I’d rather see Paxton.

Agreed. I'm not really going to try and retroactively grade the pick. It was a good idea at the time and may still bear fruit.

He just looks so over-matched and lost on the football field. Hard to imagine a scenario where he turns this around and develops into the next great draft story. But stranger things and all that.

Also, Hodges is a cool story and all, but yeah....no. I would rather see Paxton Lynch get booted up than Hodges.
    I think you can grade it.
    But for me the biggest issue overall (which I've said multiple times) is how the Steelers have said or tons of sources have said they had that 1st rd grade on Rudolph.
    Again, I agree it's still a crap shoot with QBs, I mean look at guys coming up on renewals, Mariota & Winston...guys that have been traded like Tannehill, Rosen after being picked high.
    Then not super recent but recent enough you find those diamonds in the rough but they perform right away and earn that spot like Wilson and Dak.

Sure the comparison is bad BUT no one knew what we had with Ben when he was drafted.
    I've read the initial plan was for him to sit for 2 years behind BOTH Tommy and Chuck. He became the #2 because Chuck got injured in preseason.
    He came in and showed some great flashes in that first game in Baltimore. Did 'okay' in Miami during the hurricane, did okay again the next 2 games against the Bengals & Browns and then did amazing against Dallas & Pats and that was when it was 'how do you ever go back to Maddox'.

Currently with Mason and this is pure observation, I've seen zero hope. Which I agree with your 2nd comment in that aspect.
    To me you either have 'IT' or you don't. Doesn't matter if you're a rocket scientist like Dobbs, can you execute and show no fear on the field, so far he can't.
    So for me that's what separates guys its beyond the smarts (although you do have to have it cause you can't be a dumb as a post like Vince Young lol)

Is there still time for Mason to look like a something sure.
    As it stands here today in my opinion he's backup and a marginal one at that...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Ben looked great but he also had teammates who could make the plays for him. Mason doesn't have that. If you compare their WRs, Mason has Juju and 2 first round starters, and some bums who should be on the practice squad. None of them have been really helping him out, Juju included. Pair that with the fact their #1 rusher is always injured.

Meanwhile Ben had: Bettis (Hall of famer), Staley, Burress, Ward, Randle El. A HoF running back and a stable of proven veteran playmakers at WR. Not to mention backed up by the #1 defense. Mason has NOTHING close to that. Ben was given the keys to a Ferrari, Mason inherited a 1971 Pinto

Ben looked great but he also had teammates who could make the plays for him. Mason doesn't have that. If you compare their WRs, Mason has Juju and 2 first round starters, and some bums who should be on the practice squad. None of them have been really helping him out, Juju included. Pair that with the fact their #1 rusher is always injured.

Meanwhile Ben had: Bettis (Hall of famer), Staley, Burress, Ward, Randle El. A HoF running back and a stable of proven veteran playmakers at WR. Not to mention backed up by the #1 defense. Mason has NOTHING close to that. Ben was given the keys to a Ferrari, Mason inherited a 1971 Pinto
    Staley wasn't exactly 'amazing' he was supposed to be the big acquisition that year but got hurt in 2004 and 5.
    Sure Ben had those guys but none were amazing except for ward...plax stretched the field like wallace did when he came and RE was like JuJu is now the perfect slot guy
    But the summation between all the receivers Ben has had with the exception of Plax is he got them all paid
    RE went to the skins and got paid handsomly although I think that's because he was that dual threat with the kicking game too but still
    Wallace to miami got grossly overpaid and has been through half the league since
    Brown got paid 3 years early because he showed what he could do because of Ben and then got paid twice more because of Ben
    JuJu will have the same fate if Ben comes back and they tear it up

As for having a solid RB1 yeah that helps. But it's not a requirement it just how you use them and a lot has to do with screens or moving them around now a days.
    And calling a run at the right moment.
    Right now the Steelers seem to be run, run, pass on 3rd and a country mile and hope for the best.
    Does a lot have to do with the OC yeah probably, but in saying that it might also be because Rudolph is limited and they didn't expect that.

Like I've said previously certain guys have that 'IT' factor Ben has 'IT'
    Mason might but 'IT' might not show up for another few years who knows....

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    Staley wasn't exactly 'amazing' he was supposed to be the big acquisition that year but got hurt in 2004 and 5.
    Sure Ben had those guys but none were amazing except for ward...plax stretched the field like wallace did when he came and RE was like JuJu is now the perfect slot guy
    But the summation between all the receivers Ben has had with the exception of Plax is he got them all paid
    RE went to the skins and got paid handsomly although I think that's because he was that dual threat with the kicking game too but still
    Wallace to miami got grossly overpaid and has been through half the league since
    Brown got paid 3 years early because he showed what he could do because of Ben and then got paid twice more because of Ben
    JuJu will have the same fate if Ben comes back and they tear it up

As for having a solid RB1 yeah that helps. But it's not a requirement it just how you use them and a lot has to do with screens or moving them around now a days.
    And calling a run at the right moment.
    Right now the Steelers seem to be run, run, pass on 3rd and a country mile and hope for the best.
    Does a lot have to do with the OC yeah probably, but in saying that it might also be because Rudolph is limited and they didn't expect that.

Like I've said previously certain guys have that 'IT' factor Ben has 'IT'
    Mason might but 'IT' might not show up for another few years who knows....
    Those receivers weren't 'great' with the exception of Ward and Plax was the guy who blew the top off. Which is hell of a lot more than we have now. It does help that every single one of his receivers are veterans who knew where to be and how to help their QB. Mason has no guys like this, NONE. Not even the guy who was expected to have his breakout year (Juju) has amounted to anything, and also fumbled and dropped balls in crucial situations. Ben had a legitimate WR1 WR2 and WR3. Mason has a couple of WR2's, a WR3 and a bunch of practice squad rookies who under normal circumstances would be bagging groceries instead.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

We've all seen how much Ben struggled without Antonio Brown this year.

Even before the injuries, Our receiving core, envy of the league for many years, is now bottom of the barrel. The veteran guy who was supposed to step in (Moncrief), was so awful hes no longer on the team.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

I'm string to wonder if Rudolph has a likable personality. Without turnovers to set the offense up with a short field or a pick six, or offense can't seem to score touchdown's with Rudolph. The season is not over yet. If Rudloph struggles again, give me Hodges.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I'm string to wonder if Rudolph has a likable personality. Without turnovers to set the offense up with a short field or a pick six, or offense can't seem to score touchdown's with Rudolph. The season is not over yet. If Rudloph struggles again, give me Hodges.
    By all accounts Rudolph is well liked by his teammates and studies hard - just has not been able to raise his game (at least so far) to what it takes to be a successful NFL level starting QB both physically and mentally

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What the heck does personality got to do with touchdowns?!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    What the heck does personality got to do with touchdowns?!
    If you are good, nothing

If you are not, being difficult can get a young QB cut loose more quickly (e.g. - Josh Rosen)

Those receivers weren't 'great' with the exception of Ward and Plax was the guy who blew the top off. Which is hell of a lot more than we have now. It does help that every single one of his receivers are veterans who knew where to be and how to help their QB. Mason has no guys like this, NONE. Not even the guy who was expected to have his breakout year (Juju) has amounted to anything, and also fumbled and dropped balls in crucial situations. Ben had a legitimate WR1 WR2 and WR3. Mason has a couple of WR2's, a WR3 and a bunch of practice squad rookies who under normal circumstances would be bagging groceries instead.
    That made me laugh pretty hard because I think that about most athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    If you are good, nothing

If you are not, being difficult can get a young QB cut loose more quickly (e.g. - Josh Rosen)
    I don’t think that had anything to do with Rosen being traded. Kingsbury wanted Kyler. It was a good pick. But I’m not sold on the coach.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

If your a starting nfl qb, you should be able to find and hit an open receiver an overwhelming majority of the time. Regardless if we have AB out there or James Washington or Holton,

if mason can’t get the offense moving, we should put someone in there who can, don’t want to see the efforts of the defense wasted.