Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mason Rudolph Comparisons

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Mason Rudolph Comparisons

I’m still waiting for his “WOW!” moment. He hasn’t done anything that poorly just hasn’t been special either.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

I keep seeing Sidney Crosby wit a football helmet.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    less mobile O’Donnell? I think Rudolph has already shown he can move around better than NO.
    Yes, but his arm isn't as good, and he's not as good as a passer. O'Donnell actually became a quality passer and never really had a Good backs or WR's to work with for the most part.

Who does Rudolph compare to? Any pocket passer back up. Sometimes the guys start a bit due to injury, and are replaced the next season. As soon as the turnovers stop coming, and we play good teams, he's going to show us who is is. IE, A semi accurate and turnover prone QB.

To put in a Steeler context he's not on O'Donnell's or Maddox level's. I'll take Stewart over him too.

Rudolph looks a bit better than Kent Graham, Jim Miller...those guys who started games for us.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steve Bono? Elvis Grbac?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Steve Bono? Elvis Grbac?
    It' a little early to really know, but Alex Smith?

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    I keep seeing Sidney Crosby wit a football helmet.
    This was what I was thinking too

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Yes, but his arm isn't as good, and he's not as good as a passer. O'Donnell actually became a quality passer and never really had a Good backs or WR's to work with for the most part.

Who does Rudolph compare to? Any pocket passer back up. Sometimes the guys start a bit due to injury, and are replaced the next season. As soon as the turnovers stop coming, and we play good teams, he's going to show us who is is. IE, A semi accurate and turnover prone QB.

To put in a Steeler context he's not on O'Donnell's or Maddox level's. I'll take Stewart over him too.

Rudolph looks a bit better than Kent Graham, Jim Miller...those guys who started games for us.
    I disagree with you completely about Maddox. It was exciting while he was playing, but that's because we didn't have a receiver who could consistently throw the ball decently. Maddox did that, but he was also pretty scary with that ball at times. And, that was in his comeback when he had a lot of maturity and several years of NFL experience under his belt.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

You're talking pretty definitively for only watching him play a handful of games. I know he hasn't been making unbelievable plays and he looks tentative, but there is still room for him to get better.

I don't think anybody knows what the finished product will look like. He doesn't wow you with his physical skills, but he is still figuring out how to adapt his game to the NFL. I want to see him make more throws down the field to NFL-open receivers, and I think he will in time. I think he now has a solid base of work under him, and it's time for him to take a step forward in how he attacks defenses in the next few games.

I'm not going to throw in the towel on him. I want to see him continue to work on getting better and let time reveal who he really is as a quarterback.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Maddox and Stewart? Umm, OK.

Just let me know when Rudolph starts repeatedly having 11-28, 115-yard, 3 INT-type stinkers and posting QB ratings in the low 70s.

And O'Donnell was an at-best average journeyman QB in every sense of the word.

Am I the only one who remembers just how mediocre-to-bad those guys were? Or is my memory just that faulty?

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Maddox and Stewart? Umm, OK.

Just let me know when Rudolph starts repeatedly having 11-28, 115-yard, 3 INT-type stinkers and posting QB ratings in the low 70s.

And O'Donnell was an at-best average journeyman QB in every sense of the word.

Am I the only one who remembers just how mediocre-to-bad those guys were? Or is my memory just that faulty?
    I'd disagree with you on Stewart only because, if he was having a bad day passing, he could still positive affect the game with his legs. Not that I necessarily want a running QB, but it is a bonus. If Rudolph is having a bad game passing. That's it. He's one dimensional (as are about 70-80 percent of NFL QBs and probably 95 percent of the better QBs).

For O'Donnell, yeah, he was definitely a journeyman. But, I'd take that right now. He was probably 90 percent of what Fitzgerald could do at QB (speaking of journeyman). I do not think Rudolph, at the moment, is playing at that same level.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I disagree with you completely about Maddox. It was exciting while he was playing, but that's because we didn't have a receiver who could consistently throw the ball decently. Maddox did that, but he was also pretty scary with that ball at times. And, that was in his comeback when he had a lot of maturity and several years of NFL experience under his belt.

Maddox took over after it was apparent that Stewart wasn't the answer...a few years too late. The team wasn't very good in 2002 or 2003, ( we were 6-10 in 2003 ) but Maddox had a 13-13 record in these years as a 2-1 record in 2004 as the starter For a fair comparison, the Offensive line back then was pretty poor, and the defense wasn't as good.

If Rudolph didn't have a defense producing +11 in turnovers or a good offensive line, you'd see the same type of mistakes too.

As a passer, Maddox is better than Rudolph.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    You're talking pretty definitively for only watching him play a handful of games. I know he hasn't been making unbelievable plays and he looks tentative, but there is still room for him to get better.

I don't think anybody knows what the finished product will look like. He doesn't wow you with his physical skills, but he is still figuring out how to adapt his game to the NFL. I want to see him make more throws down the field to NFL-open receivers, and I think he will in time. I think he now has a solid base of work under him, and it's time for him to take a step forward in how he attacks defenses in the next few games.

I'm not going to throw in the towel on him. I want to see him continue to work on getting better and let time reveal who he really is as a quarterback.

I've seen him play two full pre-seasons, and start 6 NFL games. This is enough to judge what he has and what he doesn't have physically speaking. In 6 games Rudolph played, the offense has only scored more than 20 points just once and that was vs the Cincinnati Bengals, who are the worst team in the NFL.

In that game the defense produced two turnovers, and the Bengals had 8 penalties in comparison to our four, which greatly aided the offense and put them in position to score points.

What in particular does he have that impresses you? Its an honest an open question to the board. His accuracy beyond 6 yards is about 42%. He does not have a good arm, in fact I think his lack of arm makes certain routes less likely to be completed as the ball lacks velocity for sideline throws and the deep ball floats a second too much, allowing DB's to get in position to make plays. His ability to hit a moving target on the slant is not good, the ball is high, behind his man or low too often. After a snap he holds the ball too long, I say because he doesn't trust his arm....guys are open. His pocket mobility is just okay, but it's clear he's not a mobile type of QB that can run for yardage. He's also a bit fumble prone.

When I watch the rookie QB's play, or the seconds year QB players, they all impress me more physically speaking. While its true he can get better with more experience, I'm questioning his NFL upside. I am not questioning his work ethic at all, its great and that sheds light on the problem as he's just not a starting quarterback by design.

Rudolph beat two worst teams in the NFL ( Cincinnati and Miami ) and to be brutally honest lucked out to be the winning quarterback vs the Colts thanks to a defensive score, and bone head penalty at the end of the half which moved Boswell in to range to kick a field goal, and the Colts kicker missing the game winner, that most other kickers would have nailed.

We play the Rams today. If Rudolph can win a game where his team isn't on the plus side of turnovers, he'll show me something. Sorry Steeler fans, he's not the future. He's a back up who if he has to throw to score will be turnover prone. Anyone catch the LSU vs Alabama game? I wish we could draft Joe Burrow, he's very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I'd disagree with you on Stewart only because, if he was having a bad day passing, he could still positive affect the game with his legs. Not that I necessarily want a running QB, but it is a bonus. If Rudolph is having a bad game passing. That's it. He's one dimensional (as are about 70-80 percent of NFL QBs and probably 95 percent of the better QBs).

For O'Donnell, yeah, he was definitely a journeyman. But, I'd take that right now. He was probably 90 percent of what Fitzgerald could do at QB (speaking of journeyman). I do not think Rudolph, at the moment, is playing at that same level.
    I agree with Craic. With O'Donnell this team can win a playoff game. Same thing with Stewart, though his problems with turnovers could sink us quick.

The NFL.com has their own QB ranking poll. While I disagree with Jackson's spot, they put Rudolph 29th of 32. He's ahead of a rookie hasn't take a snap ( Finley ) , another rookie who's playing really bad ( Haskins ) and an NFL bust ( Trubisky ) who probably won't be starting for much longer. Doesn't that speak to what I'm saying? And I'd point out both rookies are on bad NFL teams. Rudolph is not.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-aaron-rodgers

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I disagree.

Barry Bananas Foster was really, really good. And, Bam Morris was as good as any of our current RBs.

Yancey Thigpen was great during those years. Andre Hastings had moments of brilliance (he ate Deion Sanders’ lunch in the Super Bowl). And, Ernie Mills was dependable.

Eric Greene was pretty darn good, as well.

I know that you didn’t mention it, but Dermontti Dawson and Duvall Love created monster-sized holes. Plus, John Jackson and Leon Searcy were dependable against the pass-rush. (As in: that O-lone was exceptional.)

I've seen him play two full pre-seasons, and start 6 NFL games. This is enough to judge what he has and what he doesn't have physically speaking. In 6 games Rudolph played, the offense has only scored more than 20 points just once and that was vs the Cincinnati Bengals, who are the worst team in the NFL.

In that game the defense produced two turnovers, and the Bengals had 8 penalties in comparison to our four, which greatly aided the offense and put them in position to score points.

What in particular does he have that impresses you? Its an honest an open question to the board. His accuracy beyond 6 yards is about 42%. He does not have a good arm, in fact I think his lack of arm makes certain routes less likely to be completed as the ball lacks velocity for sideline throws and the deep ball floats a second too much, allowing DB's to get in position to make plays. His ability to hit a moving target on the slant is not good, the ball is high, behind his man or low too often. After a snap he holds the ball too long, I say because he doesn't trust his arm....guys are open. His pocket mobility is just okay, but it's clear he's not a mobile type of QB that can run for yardage. He's also a bit fumble prone.

When I watch the rookie QB's play, or the seconds year QB players, they all impress me more physically speaking. While its true he can get better with more experience, I'm questioning his NFL upside. I am not questioning his work ethic at all, its great and that sheds light on the problem as he's just not a starting quarterback by design.

Rudolph beat two worst teams in the NFL ( Cincinnati and Miami ) and to be brutally honest lucked out to be the winning quarterback vs the Colts thanks to a defensive score, and bone head penalty at the end of the half which moved Boswell in to range to kick a field goal, and the Colts kicker missing the game winner, that most other kickers would have nailed.

We play the Rams today. If Rudolph can win a game where his team isn't on the plus side of turnovers, he'll show me something. Sorry Steeler fans, he's not the future. He's a back up who if he has to throw to score will be turnover prone. Anyone catch the LSU vs Alabama game? I wish we could draft Joe Burrow, he's very impressive.

Here is his career stat line. https://www.pro-football-reference.c...R/RudoMa00.htm

I don't know that he can ever carry a team. I don't believe he has that type of talent that he can just put the team on his shoulders and make play after play after play. I don't think he has enough physical skill to be able to be that guy. That doesn't mean he can't be a very good NFL quarterback by just being the point guard out there that distributes the ball and puts the offense in a position to succeed with his mind and with execution on the field. Tom Brady is proof that you don't need elite physical talent to be a great quarterback.

His early stats say he is more of a game manager than an elite talent. It also says that he knows how to take care of the ball, and doesn't make a lot of stupid mistakes or panic throws. His 10 touchdowns to 4 interceptions shows that. Some of those interceptions are passes that have gone through the hands of receivers. For me, I believe his limitations right now come from a confidence standpoint. I am not close enough to the situation to know all of it. We don't know if his mind is understanding what he's seeing on the field, and he just chooses to take all those checkdowns...or if he isn't seeing things on the field, and that is why he is checking the ball down. Until we know that, it is hard to make a determination.

I believe he is capable of more than he is showing. I believe it is a confidence thing and a mechanics thing. His footwork is suspect at times, and his mechanics break down when he holds the ball. I believe that better footwork will lead to stronger throws and more ball speed. He needs to be able to anticipate and make more throws in rhythm. I like that he is careful with the ball to a certain extent, but it can also be his greatest limitation if he isn't willing to challenge teams down the field. I believe his arm is good enough. It's the anticipation and recognition of defenses that overcome any of those perceived deficiencies, and trusting his arm and his receivers to make plays. If he doesn't take that next step, he will probably be a lifetime backup and spot starter. If he makes that leap, I believe he has a chance to be a very good starter in the mold of an Alex Smith or a Kirk Cousins. But that's if everything we hear about being a football junkie are accurate and he has the football mind that we seem to be hearing from the team.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I think being called a game manager has a negative connotation but shouldn't. A QB's job is to get ball to skilled positions. If AB and LB were around who knows what Mason could do. I know one thing he hasn't been giving games away like Baker, Darnold and Rosen. A couple of his pics were due to receivers and were big reason for losses. Good riddance Montcrief. So far he has been worth the 3rd round pick and could be the QB of future, jury is still out. IF not no biggie, theres a draft every year. I do agree this offense has to open up to beat good teams though, the game will dictate when that is needed. I would love to see Vance get ball but of course its a matter of time that he gets hurt with touches. I could care less if he cant carry a team, very few can but as long as he's a winner and has talent around him I do think he can be QB of future. Atleast until a franchise QB comes along. Which face it doesn't happen that often. What would Montana have done without best WR ever, along with 2 solid ones, a great TE in Brent Jones and Rathman and Roger Craig. Or Aikman with Great WR's,TE and Emmit smith with one of the best Olines ever. Even though both those two QB's hall of famers its not like they could "carry team". I think our skilled positions are below league average at this point and thats a big part of problem. With Steelers D and offensive line the strengths coaches have been bringing Mason along with training wheels, I don't think its that bad of strategy so far. I do hope the offense does progress and open up at some point though.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The excuses and “yeah but with more of X” something good will happen is what bad teams with bad quarterbacks say all the time. Borttles, Trubisky, George, Tannehill, Marriotta, Gabbert, etc etc.

Even Cousins and Smith, the too best case comps for Rudolph at this point, showed more in their fist starts than Rudolph has. I don’t think that Rudolph has made one play that has made anyone sit up and be like, “wow. Would you look at that?”

After Donald, Matthews, Ramsey, and Weddle eat him for a late afternoon snack, I will be interested to see if there is anything positive to take away from the horrific experience.

People ask why the lack of patience with Rudolph and not with other infamous Steelers lightning rods? Well, just like Jones, Sweed, Burns, and Dupree - I like the Rudolph pick post draft. Totally talked myself into being on board with it. With Sweed, Burns, and Dupree, you could see NFL skills or physical traits. THey may not have translated to the field, but you could see them and imagine the player they could be. It looked pretty good. Didn’t work out, but there was something intriguing there.

The best I can see for Rudolph is he has oodles of leadership and the team plays hard for him and they believe in him. By all accounts everyone like Jarvis Jones as well. I am afraid that is what Rudolph will be revealed to be this season. A guy with all the want to, football IQ, and effort in the world, but just a fundamental lack of NFL ability.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    I think being called a game manager has a negative connotation but shouldn't. A QB's job is to get ball to skilled positions. If AB and LB were around who knows what Mason could do. I know one thing he hasn't been giving games away like Baker, Darnold and Rosen. A couple of his pics were due to receivers and were big reason for losses. Good riddance Montcrief. So far he has been worth the 3rd round pick and could be the QB of future, jury is still out. IF not no biggie, theres a draft every year. I do agree this offense has to open up to beat good teams though, the game will dictate when that is needed. I would love to see Vance get ball but of course its a matter of time that he gets hurt with touches. I could care less if he cant carry a team, very few can but as long as he's a winner and has talent around him I do think he can be QB of future. Atleast until a franchise QB comes along. Which face it doesn't happen that often. What would Montana have done without best WR ever, along with 2 solid ones, a great TE in Brent Jones and Rathman and Roger Craig. Or Aikman with Great WR's,TE and Emmit smith with one of the best Olines ever. Even though both those two QB's hall of famers its not like they could "carry team". I think our skilled positions are below league average at this point and thats a big part of problem. With Steelers D and offensive line the strengths coaches have been bringing Mason along with training wheels, I don't think its that bad of strategy so far. I do hope the offense does progress and open up at some point though.

I wasn't trying to use game manager as a negative. All quarterbacks manage the game.

You are correct. Elite franchise quarterbacks don't come around that often. If you can get a good quarterback that can get the ball to the weapons around him and has a good enough team around him, he's going to win a lot of games.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

We play the Rams today. If Rudolph can win a game where his team isn't on the plus side of turnovers, he'll show me something. Sorry Steeler fans, he's not the future. He's a back up who if he has to throw to score will be turnover prone.
    Keep moving those goal posts.

Wasn't the big narrative going around Steelers Nation these past few years that the team couldn't win because the Defense just wasn't good enough making stops and turning the ball over? Now that the Steelers have a playmaking Defense, you want to hold that against Mason? So is Ben an elite talent, or is he just a game manager who needs a defense to win? After all, according to you, any Quarterback who has a playmaking Defense isn't a legitimate franchise QB.

Name me one quarterback who has won anything of note without a Defense or any supporting pieces of any kind.

Even after Fitzpatrick's Pick 6, the Defense surrendered a long touchdown drive (to Brian Hoyer) put the team back in the hole. Mason brought the Steelers back from the deficit and gave the Steelers the lead in the third. Then the Safety and Samuels fumble happened, and the Colts turned it into another 6. Mason came back and got the lead again. But wait, none of that counts because the Defense turned the ball over twice.

With Sweed, Burns, and Dupree, you could see NFL skills or physical traits. THey may not have translated to the field, but you could see them and imagine the player they could be. It looked pretty good. Didn’t work out, but there was something intriguing there.
    Sweed, Burns, and Dupree didn't have NFL skills. They were athletes. "NFL Skill" and "Athletic skill" are two different things. Just because you're extemely athletic doesn't make you an NFL player. Dupree was extremely raw coming out of college, and it took him five years for him to show anything substantial, and even then, it comes with the caveat of a contract year and playing opposite of an elite pass rusher in Watt. Upside and "Intrigue" doesn't mean anything. If it's not there, it's not there. The Steelers can't win on "Upside". Martavis Bryant had tremendous upside, but it never materialized. He was cut as soon as his rookie contract was done. He wasn't any good for anything.

Artie Burns makes the Defense instantly worse the moment he steps out onto the field. That's not "intiguing" at all. That's terrible. When a player makes the unit worse by his mere presence, what does it matter?

So far the biggest knock you have on Mason isn't anything substantial like his body of work or the results, it's the "Upside" he doesn't have. I'll take it if helps the team win.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I’m still waiting for his “WOW!” moment. He hasn’t done anything that poorly just hasn’t been special either.
    There is no "WOW" moments with Mason. He is what he is. A brainiac, not a jock.

What will make him special at the end of the road is winning. Nobody will care about his lack of skill or "wow" should the Steelers pull it off today and somehow make it to January. 4-4 after an 0-3 Start. That is what "wows" me.

Sometimes I wish we go back to the days of Kordell, so Steeler fans can gaze in awe at his "wow" as he can't hit anything worth a shit and tosses three picks in a blowout loss.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

Wasn't the big narrative going around Steelers Nation these past few years that the team couldn't win because the Defense just wasn't good enough making stops and turning the ball over? Now that the Steelers have a playmaking Defense, you want to hold that against Mason? So is Ben an elite talent, or is he just a game manager who needs a defense to win? After all, according to you, any Quarterback who has a playmaking Defense isn't a legitimate franchise QB.

Name me one quarterback who has won anything of note without a Defense or any supporting pieces of any kind.

Even after Fitzpatrick's Pick 6, the Defense surrendered a long touchdown drive (to Brian Hoyer) put the team back in the hole. Mason brought the Steelers back from the deficit and gave the Steelers the lead in the third. Then the Safety and Samuels fumble happened, and the Colts turned it into another 6. Mason came back and got the lead again. But wait, none of that counts because the Defense turned the ball over twice.

Sweed, Burns, and Dupree didn't have NFL skills. They were athletes. "NFL Skill" and "Athletic skill" are two different things. Just because you're extemely athletic doesn't make you an NFL player. Dupree was extremely raw coming out of college, and it took him five years for him to show anything substantial, and even then, it comes with the caveat of a contract year and playing opposite of an elite pass rusher in Watt. Upside and "Intrigue" doesn't mean anything. If it's not there, it's not there.

Artie Burns makes the Defense instantly worse the moment he steps out onto the field. That's not "intiguing" at all. That's terrible. When a player makes the unit worse by his mere presence, what does it matter?

So far the biggest knock you have on Mason isn't anything substantial like his body of work or the results, it's the "Upside" he doesn't have. I'll take it.
    Well said, I just watched some dude from behind steel curtain rip apart Masons second half against Colts. Had everything in slow motion and was saying he missed open receivers and stated JUJU open all day. I think some on here are watching that guy and have bought in. Sure he has made mistakes but in full speed when Samuels doesn't even touch a blitzer Mason has zero chance to do anything but dump off, or take sack. It takes time to build repoir with receivers. Ben had it with AB but when he went down Ben was far less effective. I still say give this kid time, hardly time to replace him with hodges like dude on BSC says to do. Today will be very telling.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

IMO.....Rudolph has had some bad luck with guys fumbling the ball in key game moments or we could be looking at a completely different win-loss record. In his first season running this offense he is already doing better than Jones when he left. The big question for Rudolph IS and has ALWAYS BEEN is he the heir apparent to Big Ben. As of TODAY he is not. It doesn't matter what he may become eventually because as of right now he has shown limited vision to see guys getting open. This has been demonstrated on numerous all22 videos and podcasts. However, none of those all22s want to talk about the things Mason does right. The OL has not been playing well whether due to injury or whatever. Rudolph's checkdowns are in a large part time running out and that was the open play at that moment. YES guys were coming open but did he have the time to wait for it? Did he even see them coming open? More plays show he did not see the player coming open at all which is the alarming part of the discussion. IF Rudolph can start improving with his downfield vision and anticipation passing Samuels can be an even bigger weapon than he is for Rudolph now. Imagine Brees passing with Kamara for checkdowns. That's how good I think this offense can be. For me Mason Rudolph compares to Alex Smith or Matt Schaub at this midseason point. Could be better, could be worse.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

Sweed, Burns, and Dupree didn't have NFL skills. They were athletes. "NFL Skill" and "Athletic skill" are two different things. Just because you're extemely athletic doesn't make you an NFL player. Dupree was extremely raw coming out of college, and it took him five years for him to show anything substantial, and even then, it comes with the caveat of a contract year and playing opposite of an elite pass rusher in Watt. Upside and "Intrigue" doesn't mean anything. If it's not there, it's not there. The Steelers can't win on "Upside". Martavis Bryant had tremendous upside, but it never materialized. He was cut as soon as his rookie contract was done. He wasn't any good for anything.

So far the biggest knock you have on Mason isn't anything substantial like his body of work or the results, it's the "Upside" he doesn't have. I'll take it if helps the team win.
    I have plenty of critiques of Mason. They are as follows:

1. Lacks the ability to process at the required speed of the NFL. Does not recognize the pre and post snap coverages soon enough.
    2. Demonstrates consistently poor ball placement. Forces his receivers to make difficult catches and allows DBs a chance to get to the ball.
    3. Hesitant to pull the trigger once he does make a decision. Often double clutches the pass release even on open receivers. This even happens on screens.
    4. Slow to work through his progressions and when he does go through them he often either bails too quickly on a route or doesn't stick on others long enough.
    5. Sloppy footwork and overall mechanics lead to balls with low velocity, often poor/fluttery trajectories. This leads to incompletions and allows the DB to close on the ball. Often guys are open, but the late arrival of the pass allows the DB to close at the top of the route and contest the catch.
    6. Throws with almost zero anticipation. Ball is often not out quickly enough for the WR to turn and catch it. Guys have to slow their routes, come back to the ball, and/or simply stand there and wait for the ball to arrive. Allows for incompletions and potential INTS.
    7. Demonstrates poor awareness of the pass rush. Is often "surprised" by backside pass rushers. This could lead to fumbles. And has led to sacks that he shouldn't have taken. Needs to feel the rush better and learn to throw the ball away.
    8. Fails to step up into the pocket often enough. Climbing the pocket more frequently would allow Rudolph to improve his base and perhaps put more zip on some throws. Oddly, when he does step up in the pocket, he has a tendency to step into the pass rush.
    9. Has shown no ability to manipulate DBs with his eyes. Locks onto one side of the field and head rarely moves. This is going to result in INTS if he ever starts throwing it into contested areas.
    10. Has not yet demonstrated an ability to work well in the red zone. As the field shrinks and the windows become smaller, Mason struggles to deliver. This leads to FGs instead of TDs. Failure to consistently turn his own offensive drives AND short fields off of turnovers into touchdowns is what allows games to be close.

Do you need more? I figure 10 might be enough for you to attempt to dismiss and blame on coaches.

I am going to stand behind the posting I made prior to today's game. But I will also take my medicine. Against the Rams, Rudolph did an amazing job of demonstrating growth and progress on every single one of my criticisms of him.

If he continues to play like that and make even incremental progress each week, Rudolph may really develop rapidly over the course of the rest of this season.

Despite my negative posts, I am rooting for the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I am going to stand behind the posting I made prior to today's game. But I will also take my medicine. Against the Rams, Rudolph did an amazing job of demonstrating growth and progress on every single one of my criticisms of him.

If he continues to play like that and make even incremental progress each week, Rudolph may really develop rapidly over the course of the rest of this season.

He really did look good today. He threw the ball with much more conviction today and made many accurate throws down the field. Showed some real guts and grit to go along with showing what he is capable of with more work.

There will still be steps back at times, but he certainly looked like a solid NFL starter today against a really good defense.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

He has no running game and still won. That conversion on 4th down was huge. Long time killing drive

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    There will still be steps back at times, but he certainly looked like a solid NFL starter today against a really good defense.
    On that note, Donald is an absolute beast. I was forced to listen to the game on radio today and it seemed like he was the entire Rams defense for as many times as his name got called.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    On that note, Donald is an absolute beast. I was forced to listen to the game on radio today and it seemed like he was the entire Rams defense for as many times as his name got called.

That dude is a monster.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

He looks like tom brady in his 2001 season.

look up those stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Rudolph hasn't looked much different from what he did in prior weeks. He still looks exactly as he did. Foepaws, but showing steady improvement. It helps that he's growing more comfortable due to his preparation, and finally appears to have a target downfield he is starting rely on. That's two weeks in a row his buddy James Washington has showed up. If only the rest of the receiving core can step up. DJ, Vance and Juju had some bad drops.

Aside from the fumble, James Washington had another good game and was our best receiver.