Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers linebacker Anthony Chickillo arrested facing several charges

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Re: Steelers linebacker Anthony Chickillo arrested facing several charges

How about a big time baseball GM who basically did nothing wrong , that is if you have any common sense?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Sure it did it hurt the football program big time. It hurt enrollment. It hurt alumni relations. Did it close the school? No. The issue is still there. It’s still a HUGE blemish on the school and there’s still outrage about it. But what affects schools most? Money. What stopped coming in? Money. What have they paid out in settlements? Over $109 million. I would say the money that they lost out on has to fall under the category of business.
    That is absolutely correct, but what I was saying is, the college firing the football coach did nothing to change that, and the NCAA imposing sanctions did nothing to change it either.

Basically, you have two kinds of PR crises that come about because of accusations ... one kind where your bottom line is not being affected in any meaningful way, so there is nothing to fix by firing someone based on accusations ... the other is when something happened that is so bad that firing someone won't change people's opinions, which is the Penn State case. In neither of them does the fire-first approach do the business any good.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Several fitness brands basically went under or pulled product lines from the market when people got pissed at Lance Armstrong.

People were plenty pissed off at Enron.

Uber and Lyft are examples of public perception and reaction impacting bottom lines.

We can go further back and find multiple examples in the wild and wooly days of the 1800 and 1900's were once abusive or gross business practices came to light, companies went out of business because of public outrage. Or at least pretended to go out of business and then cropped back up under a new name!

Like anything in life it is all pretty complicated and one size fits all blanket statements don't really fit anything.
    I mean ... all the things you mentioned are cases of people disliking a company because of the way they do business, which is completely different.

It's not like people are angry at Uber because the CEO got arrested for drunk driving, or they were mad at Enron because the CEO was accused of beating up his girlfriend. Or that if either of those things happened, they would impact the company's profits, and firing the CEO would then fix it.

I did not say "There's no such thing as a PR crisis of any kind," which is apparently what people think I said. What I said was that personal-conduct PR crises are an absolute sham, and to a large extent the "crisis" is only as big as you make it via your response.

Like, in almost any case where someone is accused of something, could you not simply say, "This is a criminal case, so we're going to leave it to the police," and achieve the exact same financial result? But no, it's all about the virtue signal.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Yeah, I'm with Steelreserve on this one. Ironically, the SJW types insist that "moral outrage" is an effective tactic and keep trying to use it to their advantage, but the only time it's *actually* effective is against "woke" corporate policies.
    I'm talkin' Gillette's "Men are bad" ad campaign, Disney's Star Wars, Lefty News, etc.

Moral outrage is only ever about how a corporate entity treats it's customers, not how individuals within that organization behave. Lefties don't seem to grasp that distinction, and it's fun to watch in a "train wreck" sorta way.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think sometimes we have to step back and see some of this stuff in the long view with a bit of a historical perspective. I agree that the NFL player conduct stuff is all nonsense stacked on top of silliness. But to simply dismiss all “moral outrage” as the work of wacky “SJW’s” or “virtue signaling” is to miss the larger and more complex picture. If those same terms would have been in use in the past movements like the suffragettes, the manga carta, unions, and things like Upton Sinclair’s work would have been glossed as SJW Virtue Signaling.

In the past, we had far less channels for news and by the time we heard about things it had been passed and parsed through multiple filters (things like the AP, UPI, REuters, etc). Now, we hear it all in real time with a complete lack of filter. As a result, nonsense comes through just as loud as the actual nuggets of useful information. But you cant just dismiss it all as noise and useless.

To make a really poor analogy, crimes against children, such as kidnapping, have been basically either at the same rate or going down since the FBI has been around to track these types of things. However, we all feel like it is happening far more often and children are in significantly greater danger than in the past. This, and people have studied this, almost totally because if a kid was snatched in ORegon, you didn’t hear about it in Florida. Now, you do. So it seems like it happens far more often. But we are simply more aware of it - whether we want to or not.

This “outrage” stuff is the same. People have always been this outraged by things, but until the internet we couldn’t hear about it 24/7/365. Does that mean you have to like it or agree with it? Hell, no. But to just wave it away and dismiss it as useless noise is to, in my small opinion, miss the forest for the trees.

SPecifically with the NFL, they react they way they do because they don’t care about they fans they have. They figure those folks aren’t going anywhere - they are already hooked on the product. What they are concerned about is making sure the next wave of fans gets hooked. In another poor analogy, kinda like how your cable company raises your rates and passes the break onto the new customers. They figure you aren’t going anywhere, but they are chasing the customer they don’t have. Everything is just a brand now.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Mojo, Agreed... It's a really poor analogy. The protests in Hong Kong aren't equivalent to (for example) the campaign against "manspreading". Also, not all moral outrage is SJW virtue- signalling or useless, but the vast majority of the useless noise is SJWs virtue- signalling.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

When you compare the things about which people were outraged in the 1950s and 1960s - or the 1850s and 1860s, or the 1750s and 1760s - to what they are outraged about today, frankly it's mostly just embarrassing. Here and there you might find something that could change the world in a positive way, but mainly you have people yelling at you about things they don't understand at all, or parroting old Vietnam-era issues pretending that they're the same or worse 50 years later, not that they've all drastically changed for the better.

In the NFL's case ... are people REALLY going to believe "The NFL supports domestic violence" or "The NFL supports sexual assault" because they don't preemptively punish people in advance of the police investigation? I mean, does anybody actually support domestic violence or sexual assault? Are these people that stupid? No, they just delight in public displays to make themselves feel good, and it's their wet dream if they can manipulate other people's actions in ways that make them feel good.

Why would you want these people as fans, they ruin everything. Or why would you want them as customers? I wouldn't. It's just not worth it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Steelreserve,
    It's even worse than that, unfortunately. These policies are driven by a fear of a backlash that wouldn't even happen, since the SJW types don't watch football anyway.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

We’re talking WORLD problems on a Chickillo thread? He should be proud

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    We’re talking WORLD problems on a Chickillo thread? He should be proud
    Do you have anything worthwhile to contribute to the conversation?

Or just "Hey! Why are you guys talking about that! I dont like you talking about that!" ... "Hey, I'm back! I still don't like you guys talking about that!"
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Do you have anything worthwhile to contribute to the conversation?

Or just "Hey! Why are you guys talking about that! I dont like you talking about that!" ... "Hey, I'm back! I still don't like you guys talking about that!"
    You are correct, most of my posts are useless, but am I not allowed to find the humor when threads go way off the rails, or.....am I not allowed to have a certain expectation that when a thread has a new post that it might pertain to the topic? I may not have 10577 posts, but I have been here almost as long as you have, and based on a number of people’s PMs, I feel that my contributions have some merit, or at least a little humor.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

I think there is a story behind the story. First off, I'm very disappointed in Chickillo. But back the story behind the story. If the Steelers are planning to keep Dupree, and there certainly have the cap space to do so, would they really want to keep a back up special teams player who's at best the next man up in legal jeopardy? Probably not. This also means they don't think Ola Adeniyi is anything beyond a backup pass rusher. Probably weak vs. the run and in coverage.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

The Fayette County district attorney Wednesday dropped domestic dispute-related charges against both Steelers linebacker Anthony Chickillo and his girlfriend, a Canadian Olympic pole vaulter, that stemmed from an incident earlier this month at a Fayette County resort.

The decision came after a morning meeting behind closed doors that lasted nearly two hours and included both defendants — Mr. Chickillo and Alysha Newman — their attorneys and District Attorney Richard Bower.
    Mr. Bower said the cases had been resolved.

"The two individuals involved have indicated that they obviously do not want to go forward, that they wish the best for each other," Mr. Bower told reporters outside a courtroom in Uniontown. "Additionally, they've indicated to me that they have both forgiven each other for what has happened."

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...s/201910300123

Sounds like a breakup - Chickillo can claim he needs football to mend his broken heart

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    The Fayette County district attorney Wednesday dropped domestic dispute-related charges against both Steelers linebacker Anthony Chickillo and his girlfriend, a Canadian Olympic pole vaulter, that stemmed from an incident earlier this month at a Fayette County resort.

The decision came after a morning meeting behind closed doors that lasted nearly two hours and included both defendants — Mr. Chickillo and Alysha Newman — their attorneys and District Attorney Richard Bower.
    Mr. Bower said the cases had been resolved.

"The two individuals involved have indicated that they obviously do not want to go forward, that they wish the best for each other," Mr. Bower told reporters outside a courtroom in Uniontown. "Additionally, they've indicated to me that they have both forgiven each other for what has happened."

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...s/201910300123

Sounds like a breakup - Chickillo can claim he needs football to mend his broken heart
    This will be very interesting to see what the NFL does. Don't they have to take him off the exempt list, and then decide to either suspend him or not?

I honestly don't know how this works.

If we had actually signed Tuzar Skipper this would have gotten really interesting... I mean for the fans who value Skipper above Chickillo. I think it's pretty obvious that the Steelers value Chickillo a lot more than the fans do. But as it stands, I don't think it will be a very controversial move to keep Chickillo on the active roster over Elliot.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    This will be very interesting to see what the NFL does. Don't they have to take him off the exempt list, and then decide to either suspend him or not?

I honestly don't know how this works.

If we had actually signed Tuzar Skipper this would have gotten really interesting... I mean for the fans who value Skipper above Chickillo. I think it's pretty obvious that the Steelers value Chickillo a lot more than the fans do. But as it stands, I don't think it will be a very controversial move to keep Chickillo on the active roster over Elliot.
    I think that is exactly how that works. Maybe he stays on the list for the reat of the week and we have to make a decision next week, and most likely that means we keep him since we have not cut ties with him yet.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Post-Gazette apparently not inclined to provide the standard sportswriter courtesy of cleaning up the grammar in a quote as Chickillo says after practice today he is sorry for the “distraction”

Steelers linebacker Anthony Chickillo apologizes for ‘distraction’ to team

“I’m grateful no charges were from the legal system,” Chickillo said. “I’m grateful for that, I’m hopeful moving forward that the NFL, they find the same things.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201911010139

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Post-Gazette apparently not inclined to provide the standard sportswriter courtesy of cleaning up the grammar in a quote as Chickillo says after practice today he is sorry for the “distraction”

Steelers linebacker Anthony Chickillo apologizes for ‘distraction’ to team

“I’m grateful no charges were from the legal system,” Chickillo said. “I’m grateful for that, I’m hopeful moving forward that the NFL, they find the same things.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201911010139
    He writes a wee bit better than AB. But not much.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I think that is exactly how that works. Maybe he stays on the list for the reat of the week and we have to make a decision next week, and most likely that means we keep him since we have not cut ties with him yet.
    Well, he was taken off the exempt list and returned to practice. I didn't read if we cut someone to put him back on the active roster. But if we cut Elliot then I'm guessing we have to give Chick a hat on Sunday. We're too thin at OLB not to.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    He writes a wee bit better than AB. But not much.
    AB would probably say:

I dickslapped u in the face n now u got a blak eye! LOL weak azz bitch looking for a come up my baby mama sed yo broke azz was a joke! I wuz 2nd team be4 you even met me don act like ur weakazz don't know!

Shit my head hurts after typing that and I feel stupider already. Note to self don't do that again

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This idiot is still on the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    AB would probably say:

I dickslapped u in the face n now u got a blak eye! LOL weak azz bitch looking for a come up my baby mama sed yo broke azz was a joke! I wuz 2nd team be4 you even met me don act like ur weakazz don't know!

Shit my head hurts after typing that and I feel stupider already. Note to self don't do that again
    Sorry, that's a bit too coherent for AB. The last sentence has a lot of potential, but you gotta practice it some more.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Can't we just put ChickFilA on the injury report and pay the fine in advance so we don't have to play him?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Cut him and Dangerfield right behind Moncrief...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

When you compare the things about which people were outraged in the 1950s and 1960s - or the 1850s and 1860s, or the 1750s and 1760s - to what they are outraged about today, frankly it's mostly just embarrassing. Here and there you might find something that could change the world in a positive way, but mainly you have people yelling at you about things they don't understand at all, or parroting old Vietnam-era issues pretending that they're the same or worse 50 years later, not that they've all drastically changed for the better.

In the NFL's case ... are people REALLY going to believe "The NFL supports domestic violence" or "The NFL supports sexual assault" because they don't preemptively punish people in advance of the police investigation? I mean, does anybody actually support domestic violence or sexual assault? Are these people that stupid? No, they just delight in public displays to make themselves feel good, and it's their wet dream if they can manipulate other people's actions in ways that make them feel good.

Why would you want these people as fans, they ruin everything. Or why would you want them as customers? I wouldn't. It's just not worth it.
    This post sums it it perfectly.

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Scrubs are not getting any benefit of the doubt

After Harrison had his assault the Steelers released Cedrick Wilson within the next two weeks on another domestic assault allegation

Not Dan Rooney's finest moment in explaining the disparate treatment of Harrison and Wilson

I know of the incidents, they are completely different. In fact, when I say we don't condone these things, we don't, but we do have to look at the circumstances that are involved with other players and things like that, so they're not all the same."

In Mr. Harrison's case, Mr. Rooney said the player was trying to take his son to be baptized.

"What Jimmy Harrison was doing and how the incident occurred, what he was trying to do was really well worth it," he said of Mr. Harrison's initial intent with his son. "He was doing something that was good, wanted to take his son to get baptized where he lived and things like that. She said she didn't want to do it."

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/n...s/200803210180
    Jimmy Jones said straight up that starters get better treatment. Using Aikman as an example, if a second teamer was sleeping during a meeting, he'd get cut. If Aikman was sleeping during a meeting, he'd gently tap his shoulder and ask him to wake up.

Stars / producers will ALWAYS get better treatment, as well they should.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood