Thread: What is the knock against Josh Rosen?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What is the knock against Josh Rosen?

The kid came into the draft as the best of the class. One season in AZ behind a TERRIBLE OL and the gets traded to Miami where he sits behind Fitzmagic. I know the Dolphins are in full tank mode, but supposedly for another QB. So, what is the deal with Rosen? Why is he seemingly on the trash heap already?

Just curious because I have heard nothing overly negative regarding him.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: What is the knock against Josh Rosen?

Same thing with Nathan Peterman i guess. Supposedly some great college QB who can't get it together at the pro level. That year in AZ though might have shot his confidence for good

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The kid really isn't getting a chance. Really bad luck for him from the start.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The kid came into the draft as the best of the class. One season in AZ behind a TERRIBLE OL and the gets traded to Miami where he sits behind Fitzmagic. I know the Dolphins are in full tank mode, but supposedly for another QB. So, what is the deal with Rosen? Why is he seemingly on the trash heap already?

Just curious because I have heard nothing overly negative regarding him.
    Came into the league from UCLA with the rep of being an arrogant pain to deal with

Since being drafted by the Arizona Cardinals, there has only been more word from around the NFL world that some people don't like Rosen because of his personality.

https://www.businessinsider.com/josh...t-liked-2018-5

Here’s all the stuff people get mad about when they get upset about Josh Rosen, the Cardinals’ new franchise QB

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/...la-qb-comments

Seems like fairly petty stuff - not as if he was accused of sexual assault or having a drug habit. And certainly not the first QB picked in the first round with a rep for being arrogant. But if you do not perform coaches are less likely to want someone with an attitude around.

That reputation apparently persisted when Arizona traded him to Miami

There is a whole skill set that Rosen does not have, probably for the simple reason that he never had to have it. He was both a child prodigy and a child of privilege, and the combination makes him a weird fit in a football locker room. That is an environment full of people who are determined to prove a point. Rosen tends to act like he has already proven it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/06/jo...als-2019-draft

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Came into the league from UCLA with the rep of being an arrogant pain to deal with

Since being drafted by the Arizona Cardinals, there has only been more word from around the NFL world that some people don't like Rosen because of his personality.

https://www.businessinsider.com/josh...t-liked-2018-5

Here’s all the stuff people get mad about when they get upset about Josh Rosen, the Cardinals’ new franchise QB

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/...la-qb-comments

Seems like fairly petty stuff - not as if he was accused of sexual assault or having a drug habit. And certainly not the first QB picked in the first round with a rep for being arrogant. But if you do not perform coaches are less likely to want someone with an attitude around.

That reputation apparently persisted when Arizona traded him to Miami

There is a whole skill set that Rosen does not have, probably for the simple reason that he never had to have it. He was both a child prodigy and a child of privilege, and the combination makes him a weird fit in a football locker room. That is an environment full of people who are determined to prove a point. Rosen tends to act like he has already proven it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/06/jo...als-2019-draft
    Good stuff but...

In the first link it talks about how his girlfriend's college volleyball coach wouldn't answer a question about Rosen and just says ask his girlfriend. Also that Byron Leftwich(AZ QB coach) said he won't let Rosen act like an asshole. Rosen responded that he wasn't going to come in and expect the starting job, that he knew he lacked things and would need to work on it. The perception is one thing but his response was something different.

The second article talks about people taking his social media posts and making something out of nothing. Still has absolutely nothing to do with football or why he's not considered a future starter at this point. Apparently Rosen is a spoiled rich kid but also an accomplished QB which is more the point of my inquiry.

The 3rd article touches on only one thing and doesn't really delve too deeply into that. It basically says Rosen has the talent to be a HoFer but could also be out of the league by 30 because people think he's arrogant. His comps have been to Jeff George and Jay Cutler. While these 2 guys didn't win any rings they were both far from terrible. To my way of looking at the football world Rosen's talent at his position should be sparking more interest in him than it is. The overall attitude I get when his name comes up is he's already done and is a bust. I just don't think he has been given a chance to be the QB and succeed yet. Just not understanding why his window is shutting already if he does truly have the talent everyone says he does.

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

In his draft day interview, he was boasting (or upset) about getting drafted at 10??? and talked about how the teams made a mistake not drafting him. I remember commentators on NFL Radio saying "Just shut up and prove them wrong". So his arrogance + not living up to his own hype is probably his downfall. Maybe that affects his work ethic too, thinking he is already good and all.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Basically nobody knows. Being arrogant sort of comes with being a first round QB. Baker Mayfield, Aaron Rogers, Big Ben, Eli, anyone else, Winston? Really the list goes on. My question really stems from as a QB, as an athlete, Josh Rosen is supposedly very gifted. Yet today he is not even thought of as starter material after 1season behind a patchwork OL with no run game support and only Fitzgerald really to throw to. And still did not go winless. It wasn’t the AZ coaches that said Rosen is not the guy, they were all fired and the new staff wanted to go with Murray and his ‘Russell Wilson’ style offense. It wasn’t anything Rosen did or didn’t do on the field. OR WAS IT? What was it? Being an arrogant asshole doesn’t get you benched or designate you a bust. What is it about Rosen’s game that has made him an afterthought? I honestly have no idea.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Miami actually looks competent with Fitzmagic at the helm. Safe to say Rosen is a bust, although it was obvious last year

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I wouldn't say he was "never given a chance". He started most of his games last year and half the games this year. He hasn't really produced anything with that opportunity.
    Perhaps the problem is that he had *too much* of an opportunity too early? Expectations were unreasonably high for a rookie QB? Perhaps AZ and Miami are both awful offenses. If so, he's better off getting traded to somewhere that doesn't suck, 'cuz he hasn't done squat so far where he is.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I wouldn't say he was "never given a chance". He started most of his games last year and half the games this year. He hasn't really produced anything with that opportunity.
    Perhaps the problem is that he had *too much* of an opportunity too early? Expectations were unreasonably high for a rookie QB? Perhaps AZ and Miami are both awful offenses. If so, he's better off getting traded to somewhere that doesn't suck, 'cuz he hasn't done squat so far where he is.
    I can totally agree with this logic. Except the OL in AZ was injury prone and playing with a patchwork of 2nd and 3rd string guys. Tough to win as a rookie in this scenario. Miami traded away their best OL guys for draft picks. Round 2 for Rosen. Maybe he gets the hole knocked off his ass and he can play better going forward. ???

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I can totally agree with this logic. Except the OL in AZ was injury prone and playing with a patchwork of 2nd and 3rd string guys. Tough to win as a rookie in this scenario. Miami traded away their best OL guys for draft picks. Round 2 for Rosen. Maybe he gets the hole knocked off his ass and he can play better going forward. ???
    Possibly... But if Miami's O- line is that bad, it's clearly not an ideal environment for an inexperienced QB. If you think Rosen has potential, Miami is far more likely to ruin it than to discover it. More likely you'll end up with a C.J. Beathard or Andrew Luck than a Matt Stafford.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

You come in and play for a team that was bad enough to get a top-5 pick the year before, there's a huge chance you're going to be on a shitty team with a shitty offense. I don't understand how you can rule a guy a bust after one year of that, unless it's historically bad, like obviously embarrassing yourself to the point where everyone around the league is talking about it and it's in the media. Never heard anything like that about Rosen, so I'd have to assume it's other reasons ... maybe he didn't show himself to be the next Peyton Manning, but you've got to still think there's at least some potential waiting to be found out for a yes/no test.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The success of QBs not only has to do with talent which they all obviously have if they’ve been drafted by an NFL team, especially in a high round. Almost as important as the talent is the environment and situation the QB has been put in. Rosen wasn’t in a good situation to start with and there was little to no stability and consistency around him. There’s not many QBs that can get through something like that. The classic example is Jason Campbell. Through college and NFL, the guy had to learn a different offense through a different coordinator throughout his whole career. That’s not an easy thing to do. I give that guy mad props for surviving as long as he did...

I think given the right situation and stability, Rosen could succeed. He just needs to be given the “honest” chance...not the disaster that he’s been surrounded by.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler