Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mahomes knee injury

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Mahomes knee injury

Now it is the Chiefs turn to see if their season is screwed

On a 4th down QB sneak in the Broncos game last night Patrick Mahomes apparently dislocated his kneecap (patella). It was popped back into place on the field and Mahomes walked off on his own, although initially with a limp

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Re: Mahomes knee injury

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Hope he's ok, seems like a good kid.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Agreed. He’s great, but seems humble. Hopefully it’s not serious. He’s good for the game.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I don't normally watch other teams but Mahomes seems like the real deal. I hope he makes it back or the already lame AFC will get even worse.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Better make a new rule! No more running.

On a more serious note, though, this is really ugly for the Chiefs. If you have a dislocated knee once, the re-injury rate within 5 years is something like 50% for the general public and 60-70% for athletes. And each time, the risk of completely blowing it out increases. Sounds like the doctors are pretty surprised if you DON'T tear at least one of your ACL, PCL, MCL, or patellar tendon even with the kind of dislocation that is the less serious kind.

Like, the medical definition for a grade 1 knee dislocation is "either cruciate intact" - like, even in the least severe kind, no one's surprised if you tore your ACL, and if it's a "moderate" grade 2 dislocation, you tore both your ACL and PCL.

Bottom line, even if he's back in 3 weeks, I doubt this ends well.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

man that sucks, i enjoy watching the chiefs cause mahomes always does something crazy. also they're my brother's football team so i catch myself cheering for them (if they're not playing the steelers)

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I agree.

There's a lot to like about Patrick Mahomes. I hope for a complete and speedy recovery.

If it's my decision..... I shut him down, get the surgery, and don't play him until he's healed. You have to think long-term with a talent like that.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Miami has probably already made the call to shop Rosen for a 1st rounder...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I agree.

There's a lot to like about Patrick Mahomes. I hope for a complete and speedy recovery.

If it's my decision..... I shut him down, get the surgery, and don't play him until he's healed. You have to think long-term with a talent like that.
    I could be mistaken, but I think the only reason you would have surgery for a dislocated knee is to repair torn ligaments. If you didn't tear them, surgery wouldn't do any good.

When they say "best case," I think they mean "if we're unbelievably lucky," because chances are if you dislocated your kneecap, you tore your ACL and probably some other stuff.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

The chiefs are a division rival, but I really hope they do the right thing with him. He's a special QB and fun to watch. No need to ruin his career or his health after football.

Well apparently they lucked out - no torn ligaments after all:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...atrick-mahomes

It sounds like what will likely happen is he will come back in about a month, and then the Chiefs will catch a lot of shit for "rushing him back" ... but really, what else do you do in a case like that? If there's nothing to do surgery on, all you can do is wait a while for the swelling to go down and the pain to go away, and that's it.

What would really suck is if that happens and then he gets the same injury again, because that's what happens with dislocations, and then people go apeshit and Reid loses his job over it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The injury is a tear of the medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL). Most times for professional athletes, this requires surgery, as the kneecap becomes unstable.It is possible to try to rehab and return this season with a brace and delay surgery until the offseason, but that is not a plan that comes with guarantees.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ooner-or-later

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The injury is a tear of the medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL). Most times for professional athletes, this requires surgery, as the kneecap becomes unstable.It is possible to try to rehab and return this season with a brace and delay surgery until the offseason, but that is not a plan that comes with guarantees.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ooner-or-later
    If that's the case, it would be flat-out stupid to come back this season. Like playing Russian roulette with an even worse injury.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Well apparently they lucked out - no torn ligaments after all:
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The injury is a tear of the medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL).
    Since I'm not a medical doctor, these two posts together leave me confused.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I like Pat Mahomes, but I've had this song stuck in my head all day:

Yes, I know this makes me a bad person.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I think the only reason you would have surgery for a dislocated knee is to repair torn ligaments. If you didn't tear them, surgery wouldn't do any good.

When they say "best case," I think they mean "if we're unbelievably lucky," because chances are if you dislocated your kneecap, you tore your ACL and probably some other stuff.

I was basing my post on the information given by Pat McAfee on his radio show. He had the injury, and explained in depth what was involved and how not getting surgery makes it much easier to get re-injured. Also, when most people re-injure it, it's disastrous.

He was explaining it from the standpoint as it was explained to him by his surgeon when he was with the Indianapolis Colts.

I don't claim to have any special medical knowledge. I was basing my take on the explanation of someone who had the injury and passed along the information given to him by a reputable surgeon that performs his skills on professional athletes.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    :dunno:

Just posting an article. I’m no
    Medical doctor. I do know that the age for a colonoscopy has evidentially moved from 50 to 45. Not sure that helps though...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

It's a shame, I hope he is ok and can rebound. I would rest him and make sure he is in full health, don't want to jeopardize his future. Chiefs aren't beating the Pats this year anyway, not with choking Reid and that joke of a defense

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I don't understand why he can't just play. It's only 1 injured knee. He has another one that's perfectly healthy. What a wuss!

I am kinda tired of the world pretty much "blowing" him tho...he's been really good but nothing he has been doing is ground breaking...the no look pass has been going on forever.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The first report said "no ligament damage," but it turned out there was ligament damage after all, so what I posted in that first one was not correct.

I guess by "no torn ligaments" they really meant "not one of the main ones like the ACL." But it is really difficult to dislocate your kneecap without tearing anything at all, and as it turned out that's what happened - just one of the smaller ligaments that holds the joint in place. Meaning you can still use it, but there's a great chance of blowing out your knee entirely like that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

In all the QB sneaks why oh why has this not happened to Brady? Mahommes seems like a good guy a good QB

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Brady is the GOAT at QB sneaks:

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    Brady is the GOAT at QB sneaks:

This thread is about Mahomes. We have two other long-time members of this forum, Crow & black&silver.. (Raven & Raider fans) who wish Mahomes well. You bring your pats bullshit even in this thread. You really have a problem.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

This thread is about Mahomes. We have two other long-time members of this forum, Crow & black&silver.. (Raven & Raider fans) who wish Mahomes well. You bring your pats bullshit even in this thread. You really have a problem.
    I think I started that. Sorry. But you're not far off base. With all the Pats domination I guess the Patriots forums are too boring

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

They're all the same, all the same level of insufferable. They can't go one forum without bragging about their team.

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Response to another post, but I take your point and apologize.
    Last edited by tom444; 10-19-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    Response to another post, but I take your point and apologize.
    tom444, we have had a number of Pat fans through here and I believe all of them have been booted for being flaming AH's. This forum has a lot of good football minded folks, we have fans from other teams here and they too are good people. You're welcome to join us!