Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin Confirms Mason Rudolph Will Be Starting QB Once Cleared From Concussion

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Mike Tomlin Confirms Mason Rudolph Will Be Starting QB Once Cleared From Concussion

Mike Tomlin put any brewing QB controversy to bed on Tuesday, confirming Mason Rudolph will be the team’s starter once he exists concussion protocol.
    “That guy is our quarterback when he clears the protocol,” Tomlin said via ESPN’s Brooke Pryor. “It’s as simple as that. Appreciate the efforts of Duck [Devlin Hodges], but as soon as he’s ready to go, he’s ready to go.”

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/10/mi...om-concussion/

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Mike Tomlin Confirms Mason Rudolph Will Be Starting QB Once Cleared From Concussion

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Mike Tomlin Confirms Mason Rudolph Will Be Starting QB Once Cleared From Concussion

100% the right call.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Sounds like the right move to me. It was fun to see Hodges (but mostly the OL, Conner, and the defense) pull a win out of a hat, but that is not what we want as our long-term strategy.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Mason's the better QB out of the two, it's a no brainer.

The offense did well on sustaining drives, but it was more to the credit of Conner and Snell.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

No brainer and Mason did nothing to lose his job.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I was glad Duck played well enough to show he may have a well paid career as a NFL backup QB

But IMO after Ben was hurt this season became and is still primarily about the Steelers deciding if they want to sink $$$ into a contract for Mason as Ben's successor.

If Ben comes back next year and makes it through the 2020 season the Steelers probably are going to need to make that decision on Mason before the start of the 2021 season, after which Mason's four year rookie deal expires, with only this season being where they get a good look at Mason's skill set. If the Steelers decide Mason is the guy they do not want him getting a shot a free agency.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The right call.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Nothing like to a tune-up against a JV team for Mason to shake off some of the rust and get back in the saddle.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

How come there are no Chinese QBs in the NFL?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    How come there are no white cornerbacks?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Well there was Timmy Chang who played in the NFL Europe

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Mason is far from the issue with this team.

Hodges did okay, but that’s all we needed from him for now. Let the rook sit. At least he proved that he can be a viable backup for the Steelers.

Rudy and Hodges are not the reason the Steelers are 2-4, but they are the reason they aren’t 0-6. I would never be this comfortable or confident with Dobbs or Landry. We have to be grateful that our Quarterback situation isn’t as bad as we feared without Ben.

I was just as impressed by Hodges as I was with Mason.

The right call here was a call that put to bed any QB controversy. IMO, he could have chosen either one and we'd be in the same position. But, Mason was a 3rd round pick, so we go with him. Honestly, that's seemingly the only reason to do so. Might as well get mileage out of him if you chose him to be your backup, and then see what he can do.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Gotta agree Craic ! I was glad to see the team kept both of these youngsters. I wasn't impressed with Ben at the beginning of the season and for some reason I feel his time with the team is getting limited fast, especially since his mention of retiring, I now feel comfortable if he decides to get out while healthy, we'd be fine at the QB position.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

The right call here was a call that put to bed any QB controversy. IMO, he could have chosen either one and we'd be in the same position. But, Mason was a 3rd round pick, so we go with him. Honestly, that's seemingly the only reason to do so. Might as well get mileage out of him if you chose him to be your backup, and then see what he can do.
    I don’t think it’s so much that Rudolph WAS third round pick, but WHY he was a third round pick. Obviously the experts see his potential being much higher than Duck’s, even if they yielded similar results after limited game play.

You have to go with the guy who is more likely to yield better results in the long run. There’s no guarantee that it’s Rudolph but he’s the odds on favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I don’t think it’s so much that Rudolph WAS third round pick, but WHY he was a third round pick. Obviously the experts see his potential being much higher than Duck’s, even if they yielded similar results after limited game play.

You have to go with the guy who is more likely to yield better results in the long run. There’s no guarantee that it’s Rudolph but he’s the odds on favorite.
    I'm just not convinced he has that big of an upside. Of course, my vote means everything to the team. We'll see. Good thing about sticking with Rudolph, however. We'll know by the end of the season if we have a QB that is worth keeping around.

But, I just can't get that fear of my chest that we're slipping back into the Cowher mentality of QBs and football. No thank you.

But, I just can't get that fear of my chest that we're slipping back into the Cowher mentality of QBs and football. No thank you.
    The Cowher Mentality of QB's was that anyone could play QB for the Steelers and they'll be good to go. Cowher never cared about the intricacies of the position. You honestly can't blame him. It was a product of the era. Back then, the bellcow back and the running game was the key to winning. Outside of a select few special players, Quarterback play was nowhere near the level or garnered the same respect it gets today. Colleges, Coaches and organizations pay much more attention to developing a quarterback. If a Quarterback fails in the NFL, something has to have seriously gone wrong. The guy has to be truly awful, or the organization is a shitshow.

Even then, a Quarterback cannot save organizational ineptitude. Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota are on the verge of busting. They were the top QB picks in the 2015 draft. Mariota in particular was butchered to death with four different offensive coordinators over five seasons. And how can you forget our old friend Andrew Luck, the sure-fire QB prospect who was as good as advertised, but didn't make a difference and recently retired at 29 because the Colts left him to die? If the Steelers do the responsible thing and develop Rudolph/Hodges properly, They should be fine.

This is why I believe the Steelers will not fall into another post-Bradshaw funk. There are far too many talented Quarterbacks to do that again.
    Last edited by Edman; 10-20-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post

The concerns that he was just a "system QB" in that OSU kind of air raid type offense is what resulted in all his passing numbers. In short, some thought he was a Will Grier clone.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The Cowher Mentality of QB's was that anyone could play QB for the Steelers and they'll be good to go. Cowher never cared about the intricacies of the position. You honestly can't blame him. It was a product of the era. Back then, the bellcow back and the running game was the key to winning. Outside of a select few special players, Quarterback play was nowhere near the level or garnered the same respect it gets today. Colleges, Coaches and organizations pay much more attention to developing a quarterback. If a Quarterback fails in the NFL, something has to have seriously gone wrong. The guy has to be truly awful, or the organization is a shitshow.

Even then, a Quarterback cannot save organizational ineptitude. Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota are on the verge of busting. They were the top QB picks in the 2015 draft. Mariota in particular was butchered to death with four different offensive coordinators over five seasons. And how can you forget our old friend Andrew Luck, the sure-fire QB prospect was that good, but recently retired at 29 because the Colts left him to die? If the Steelers do the responsible thing and develop Rudolph/Hodges properly. They should be fine.

This is why I believe the Steelers will not fall into another post-Bradshaw funk. There are far too many talented Quarterbacks to do that again.
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Even then, a Quarterback cannot save organizational ineptitude. Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota are on the verge of busting. They were the top QB picks in the 2015 draft. Mariota in particular was butchered to death with four different offensive coordinators over five seasons. And how can you forget our old friend Andrew Luck, the sure-fire QB prospect who was as good as advertised, but didn't make a difference and recently retired at 29 because the Colts left him to die? If the Steelers do the responsible thing and develop Rudolph/Hodges properly, They should be fine.

Disagree completely. I think you're confusing the 1990s for the 1970s. The game had already loosened up considerably concerning the pass. West coast offenses had already changed the way offense and QBs were viewed. Superbowls were not won very often with RBs in the 90s. Only two out of ten were controlled by the run game, another SB was helped considerably, but not won (Dallas's), and a fourth had two 100 yard rushers that equaled each other out. Every one of those teams ALSO had very good to great QBs including Aikman, Favre, Kelly, Elway. During that time there also QBs like Montana, Warner, Young, Moon, and so on who were taking over games with their arm (Montana was actually in the twilight of his career already, but it just serves to show how long it had been since the run game was the featured element of the NFL).

It was Cowher's biggest blindspot and if it weren't for Mr. Rooney stepping in and demanding we pick Ben (a QB, that is), we would not have had two more SBs and a third appearance.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Disagree completely. I think you're confusing the 1990s for the 1970s. The game had already loosened up considerably concerning the pass. West coast offenses had already changed the way offense and QBs were viewed. Superbowls were not won very often with RBs in the 90s. Only two out of ten were controlled by the run game, another SB was helped considerably, but not won (Dallas's), and a fourth had two 100 yard rushers that equaled each other out. Every one of those teams ALSO had very good to great QBs including Aikman, Favre, Kelly, Elway. During that time there also QBs like Montana, Warner, Young, Moon, and so on who were taking over games with their arm (Montana was actually in the twilight of his career already, but it just serves to show how long it had been since the run game was the featured element of the NFL).

It was Cowher's biggest blindspot and if it weren't for Mr. Rooney stepping in and demanding we pick Ben (a QB, that is), we would not have had two more SBs and a third appearance.
    The QBs weren’t as babied, developed and polished during the 90s as they are today. The overall development of the QB-Position today far supersedes what it was during most of Cowher’s tenure. You could very easily create a list of QBs just in today’s games that aren’t nearly as talented as the list you just posted and most of these guys (Stafford, Cousins, Jackson, Rodgers, Brissett, Tannehill) have done it on multiple occasions. I think Edman is saying that and that in the 90s, the run had more of a presence and emphasis then it does today. Today the pass is emphasized much more. Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

While I do agree Rudolph is the better QB of the 2, at what point do you go with the hot hand? Example: Kyle Allen and Teddy Bridgewater. In the case for the Panthers I would stay with Kyle Allen even when Cam returns. However, once Brees gets healthy I give him his job back. Now, both teams are undefeated with backups so why the difference in philosophy? The Steelers have 2 victories this season. Were they a better team against the Bengals with Rudolph? Or were they better against the Chargers with Duck? My opinion is Rudolph is the better QB...but, are we a better TEAM with Hodges? I can’t decide at this point but I think the question is there. Thoughts?

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    While I do agree Rudolph is the better QB of the 2, at what point do you go with the hot hand? Example: Kyle Allen and Teddy Bridgewater. In the case for the Panthers I would stay with Kyle Allen even when Cam returns. However, once Brees gets healthy I give him his job back. Now, both teams are undefeated with backups so why the difference in philosophy? The Steelers have 2 victories this season. Were they a better team against the Bengals with Rudolph? Or were they better against the Chargers with Duck? My opinion is Rudolph is the better QB...but, are we a better TEAM with Hodges? I can’t decide at this point but I think the question is there. Thoughts?
    The team played harder and with more fire for Hodges. I think that was do to them thinking they had to since he was the 3rd string QB. Not sure they would do that every week if he was the starter.

The NFL had the most unbalanced Quarterback talent in the league in Cowher's day. A good quarterback was rare. A great quarterback was generational. And even then, Troy Aikman, one of the "elites" was the epitome of a "Game Manager". You know, the dirty word placed upon a quarterback who dares to help the team win. He never threw for more than 30 touchdowns, and threw for 20+ Once. You couldn't get away with that today. Today, a Troy Aikman would be considered Alex Smith. Dan Marino is middle of the pack. Even our own Terry Bradshaw, had very average career stats that would be considered completely forgettable today.

You have a group of guys at the top who are unquestionably the best to ever play the game, but after them there is a considerable drop off. There was no "middle class" or "second tier" of quarterbacks in the 90's. You had the good quarterbacks, then you had the straight bad and forgettable everywhere else. If your quarterback sucked, Too bad. You can't go in the draft either, because College didn't develop QB talent well either. Unfortunately, the Steelers happened to be stuck with the subpar.

Today, there is quarterback talent bursting through the seams so much where even the "mid-tier" guys are throwing for 3000+. We're at the point now where you can find a "franchise" guy off the street, because the game was changed and evolved to protect the quarterback and give him everything he needs to succeed.

Coaches and Draft pundits pick and analyze quarterbacks to death. Study throwing mechanics, decision making, foepaws and tendencies. The QB position is meticulously picked apart. Compared to the 90's, where the bare minimum to be a starting quarterback in the NFL is "Can he throw a football past 15 yards?". He can? Then he checks out.

If the Steelers go on another post-Bradshaw string of very bad quarterbacks, then that is the fault of the organization, not the players.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Duck wasn't actually the hot hand, though. The gameplan was extremely limited to minimize his exposure. Rudolph is the starter and Duck is the backup until/ unless Rudolph proves he isn't up to the task.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Duck wasn't actually the hot hand, though. The gameplan was extremely limited to minimize his exposure. Rudolph is the starter and Duck is the backup until/ unless Rudolph proves he isn't up to the task.
    Exactly. his "hot hand" was the one he used to hand off the football to James Conner mostly. The short swing pass to Conner and the late throw into a crowd for INT are the throws that stand out in my memory among a bunch of short throws.

I would say that Devin Bush, the defense and James Conner had the hot hands in the Charger game. Still, the most popular guy to fans is the undrafted underdog, even if he isn't the intelligent choice to start at QB this week.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

You have a group of guys at the top who are unquestionably the best to ever play the game, but after them there is a considerable drop off. There was no "middle class" or "second tier" of quarterbacks in the 90's.
    Drew Bledsoe, Randall Cunningham, Mark Brunell and Steve McNair all say hi.

I think the reason there was no "official" second tier of QBs in the '90s that is widely acknowledged today is because that was before the sport was ruined with all this fantasy football BS.

Fact remains Cowher undervalued the QB position and it cost the team several trips to the SB.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Coaches and Draft pundits pick and analyze quarterbacks to death. Study throwing mechanics, decision making, foepaws and tendencies. The QB position is meticulously picked apart. Compared to the 90's, where the bare minimum to be a starting quarterback in the NFL is "Can he throw a football past 15 yards?". He can? Then he checks out.
    Confirmed by almost 20 years of NFL Quarterback Challenge.

Side note: 1996 Winner was Neil O'Donnell

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Drew Bledsoe, Randall Cunningham, Mark Brunell and Steve McNair all say hi.

I think the reason there was no "official" second tier of QBs in the '90s that is widely acknowledged today is because that was before the sport was ruined with all this fantasy football BS.
    All borderline journeymen at best. Bledsoe was so valuable to the Patriots they promptly dumped him for Tom Brady, who by the way was no hot shakes his first year starting despite the Super Bowl win.

McNair didn't take off until 2003, Mark Brunell promptly dropped of the face of the Earth after 1999.

Fact remains Cowher undervalued the QB position and it cost the team several trips to the SB.
    No one is arguing this. Cowher Willingly let O'Donnell go and thought Mike Tomczak was the answer going into the 1996 Season. Nothing more needs to be said.