Thread: Report: Tuitt has torn pectoral muscle, out for the season.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Report: Tuitt has torn pectoral muscle, out for the season.

Shit.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019...-for-the-year/

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I didn't see it yet.

What now?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Report: Tuitt has torn pectoral muscle, out for the season.

Hargrave plays a Heyward level of snaps across NT and DE.

McCullers gets a run as a package NT.

Alualu soaks up snaps spelling Heyward and Hargrave.

Buggs gets a hat on gamedays.

While it is possible (probable?) that Tuitt is the best defensive lineman on the team -- this is also the deepest unit on the team.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Damn!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I wonder if this reshuffles our offseason priorities to re-sign Hargrave at all costs, and/or look to the draft earlier than expected.

Tuitt is certainly not going anywhere any time soon, but this is a really shitty injury to have. You see a lot of defensive linemen get a torn pectoral muscle or a torn bicep, then in a year or two they get it again, and then they have to retire. You hope he is back to full strength by the start of next year, but even that is not 100% guaranteed.

And he is without a doubt the best DL on the team. The game noticeably changes when he is on the field compared to when he is not.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I wonder if this reshuffles our offseason priorities to re-sign Hargrave at all costs, and/or look to the draft earlier than expected.

Tuitt is certainly not going anywhere any time soon, but this is a really shitty injury to have. You see a lot of defensive linemen get a torn pectoral muscle or a torn bicep, then in a year or two they get it again, and then they have to retire. You hope he is back to full strength by the start of next year, but even that is not 100% guaranteed.
    Yep, that’s what happened with Aaron Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Yep, that’s what happened with Aaron Smith.
    Same with Justin Smith (from the Bengals / 49ers, another one of the greatest under-the-radar defensive linemen ever if you ask me). And a number others that I seem to recall over the years.

I am no expert on whether getting this injury once makes it more likely to reoccur (especially at a high-stress position like this) - but it sure seems to plague defensive linemen a lot.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I been working out off and on with weights 35 years plus and still at it. I hear about a lot of people tearing their biceps and pecs working out but don't know anyone in person that have. I think it is fairly rare in that as well. Maybe just bad genetics for some ?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Fuck off...this season is just plagued inside and out...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Season has been a rough one.

Only positive I can find out of this is that the team has Hargrave that can fill in his place.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Crap crap crap ...

Just when our defense is finally starting to look like an NFL defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

LT Walton signed as replacement on roster...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    LT Walton signed as replacement on roster...
    OK, Walton is depth and he knows the defense. I really hope Buggs can be impactful in the rotation, with most likely AluAlu starting at DE. I was kind of disappointed he didn't get a hat on Sundays, but McCullers has, although McCullers is more of a NT than Buggs IMO.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

This sux too many people on IR

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    This sux too many people on IR
    We really only have three guys on IR.....they just happen to be starters, and two are high impact starters. You should see the Redskin’s IR....11.

Junior Member Array title="lt194camaroz is an unknown quantity at this point">

This sucks. We brought LT Walton back. Hopefully alualu can hold it down and hargrave gets some run at DE as well. I wish they would kick the tires on rashede hageman. He was drafted in the same draft as tuitt and was actually drafted earlier, pretty sure a lot of guys here and on some of the other forums wanted either tuitt or hageman. Hes a 5 tech just like tuitt was and they were literally the same size. Hes had a lot of off the field issues and he had a hamstring injury that ended his preseason early, but what do we got to lose by bringing him in and working him out?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lt194camaroz View Post
    This sucks. We brought LT Walton back. Hopefully alualu can hold it down and hargrave gets some run at DE as well. I wish they would kick the tires on rashede hageman. He was drafted in the same draft as tuitt and was actually drafted earlier, pretty sure a lot of guys here and on some of the other forums wanted either tuitt or hageman. Hes a 5 tech just like tuitt was and they were literally the same size. Hes had a lot of off the field issues and he had a hamstring injury that ended his preseason early, but what do we got to lose by bringing him in and working him out?
    Hageman was waived/injury settlement from neck injury in camp this year with Atlanta. He hasn't played since 2016. Has 2 suspensions, one for DUI and the other 6 games for domestic violence. Not sure that is a recipe for the Steelers, but I am leaning to a no.

I am not especially excited by the Walton signing, but at this point in the season, who are you going to find. Maybe someone a little better, but not enough to make that much of a difference. You sure won't find another Tuitt, which is what matters.

At least we know Walton is better than Cam Thomas.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Outside of Tuitt, has anyone heard any updates on the rest of the injured Steelers?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Outside of Tuitt, has anyone heard any updates on the rest of the injured Steelers?
    I heard Tomlin say that Nix, Nelson, Barron and Washington could return to practice next week.

Conner, Haden, and TJ will be limited in practice but expected to play vs Miami