Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Next 7 games total record = 13-27-1. We got this!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Next 7 games total record = 13-27-1. We got this!

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The Ravens winning yesterday didn’t help us out any.

In two weeks, at worst, they will be 5-3... plus, one game up on us in the tie-breakers. Crud.
    The final game of the season would be big. If we can sweep the browns and bengals we'd win the tie breaker if there's an even record. If we're anywhere between 1 game back or 1 game ahead with Baltimore in that last game, it's a winner take all match.

I mean there's a lot of if's in that equation, but it could happen. I'm not worried about the Bengals much, but @Cleveland will probably be a tough game, playing there on a Thursday

If the Ravens beat NE then it's likely the WC is the only shot since they'll likely run away with the division (they'll go 12-4 or better if they beat the Pats). But with how the AFC is going, 9-7 might do it. As of now, the top 2 wildcards would be Buffalo (5-1), and the Texans (4-3). Those are the only 2 teams in the AFC who aren't division leaders that are above .500, there's a logjam in the AFC. I think Buffalo is gonna eventually drop some games too, their offense is terrible. Not to mention to this point, they had a pattycake schedule. Wins were against terrible Jets, NYG, Bengals, Dolphins teams. Titans were the only team that could be remotely considered a quality win but they're a middle of the pack team.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I've always hated being in the position of hoping other teams lose so that your team can make the playoffs... It usually never works out for me.

TCB

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I've always hated being in the position of hoping other teams lose so that your team can make the playoffs... It usually never works out for me.

TCB
    True - but at least three times it worked out for the Steelers

2015 - Jets and FitzMagic choke against the Bills in week 17 after beating the Pats in week 16

1989 - Steelers needed Giants, Colts & Bengals to all lose in week 17, which they did
    https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201001030213

1976 - Steelers needed the Raiders to beat the Bengals on Monday night in the next to last week of the season. The Raiders-Steelers rivalry was at its epic peak at that point and if the Raiders would have tanked the game they would have eliminated the team most likely to beat them in the playoffs. To their credit the Raiders did not "rest" anyone and beat the Bengals. I still despised the Raiders but gained a lot of respect for them not seeking to dodge the Steelers in the playoffs. Not every good deed is punished - Raiders beat the Steelers three weeks later and then stomped the Vikings to win the Super Bowl.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    True - but at least three times it worked out for the Steelers

2015 - Jets and FitzMagic choke against the Bills in week 17 after beating the Pats in week 16

1989 - Steelers needed Giants, Colts & Bengals to all lose in week 17, which they did
    https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201001030213

1976 - Steelers needed the Raiders to beat the Bengals on Monday night in the next to last week of the season. The Raiders-Steelers rivalry was at its epic peak at that point and if the Raiders would have tanked the game they would have eliminated the team most likely to beat them in the playoffs. To their credit the Raiders did not "rest" anyone and beat the Bengals. I still despised the Raiders but gained a lot of respect for them not seeking to dodge the Steelers in the playoffs. Not every good deed is punished - Raiders beat the Steelers three weeks later and then stomped the Vikings to win the Super Bowl.
    So, IOW, it'll be 13-26 years from 2015 before it happens again...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

So, IOW, it'll be 13-26 years from 2015 before it happens again...
    Pretty much

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    The final game of the season would be big. If we can sweep the browns and bengals we'd win the tie breaker if there's an even record. If we're anywhere between 1 game back or 1 game ahead with Baltimore in that last game, it's a winner take all match.

I mean there's a lot of if's in that equation, but it could happen. I'm not worried about the Bengals much, but @Cleveland will probably be a tough game, playing there on a Thursday

If the Ravens beat NE then it's likely the WC is the only shot since they'll likely run away with the division (they'll go 12-4 or better if they beat the Pats). But with how the AFC is going, 9-7 might do it. As of now, the top 2 wildcards would be Buffalo (5-1), and the Texans (4-3). Those are the only 2 teams in the AFC who aren't division leaders that are above .500, there's a logjam in the AFC. I think Buffalo is gonna eventually drop some games too, their offense is terrible. Not to mention to this point, they had a pattycake schedule. Wins were against terrible Jets, NYG, Bengals, Dolphins teams. Titans were the only team that could be remotely considered a quality win but they're a middle of the pack team.
    True. For a while now, I’ve thought that the schedule-makers hit the nail on the head with the Steelers@Ravens in Week 17. It will likely decide the division.

The WC would be a more difficult feat, but as you stated: the AFC is a mess. So, a 9-7 record might just be enough.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I honestly have a hard time getting this team past 6-7 wins. If you give the team wins in the Dolphins, Jets, Bengals and Cards games, that gets them to 6. It is fairly easy to predict the Rams and Colts as losses. That is 6-6.

So now you have 2 against the Browns and one with the Ravens. Say you split the Browns games (not a bad guess with a division opponent) and I don't think they beat the Ravens in their place. So now you are 7-8.

Leaves the Bills. Right now, I don't think the Steelers can beat the Bills. So 7-9.

Now, if the offense starts to consistently move the ball through the air and Rudolph becomes a weekly threat to get 200-250 yards with 2-3 TDS AND the defense doesn't fall off at all, then MAYBE you beat the Bills, sweep the Browns, and get to 9-7 or better.

But, it is just going to be so hard for the Steelers to do that with the current offense.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

3 out of 4 of the toughest games on our schedule are at home. I think they go 2-2 vs the Bills, Ravens, Rams, Colts. If they do that, they can go 10-6.

The Rams don't really scare me, they're a ultra hot/cold team, but their weakness is protecting Goff. I think our pass rush can get to him. The Bills don't either, they played the softest schedule probably out of anybody in the NFL to date. They're going to start dropping L's soon. Baltimore we usually play them tough and I see us taking the final game. I have a good feeling we'll sweep the Browns and Bengals. I don't think Baker Mayfield is that dude, overrated.

The two games that worry me the most honestly are Indy and AZ. Indy is a strong overall team playing physical ball and good defense. That's the exact kind of team that seems to be our kryptonite (like the Jagofs). Arizona seems to be getting it together and could be one of those sleeper teams. Even though we've faced 2 mobile quarterbacks already, Kyler Murray is still pretty much an unknown.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I honestly have a hard time getting this team past 6-7 wins. If you give the team wins in the Dolphins, Jets, Bengals and Cards games, that gets them to 6. It is fairly easy to predict the Rams and Colts as losses. That is 6-6.

So now you have 2 against the Browns and one with the Ravens. Say you split the Browns games (not a bad guess with a division opponent) and I don't think they beat the Ravens in their place. So now you are 7-8.

Leaves the Bills. Right now, I don't think the Steelers can beat the Bills. So 7-9.

Now, if the offense starts to consistently move the ball through the air and Rudolph becomes a weekly threat to get 200-250 yards with 2-3 TDS AND the defense doesn't fall off at all, then MAYBE you beat the Bills, sweep the Browns, and get to 9-7 or better.

But, it is just going to be so hard for the Steelers to do that with the current offense.
    Okay, but if you’re right about this team then the record doesn’t even matter. If we don’t make the playoffs it
    means that we aren’t a playoff caliber team and would die a quick death there anyway.

I think we finally have a defense that is an asset. They can make plays and generate turnovers. If we had that last year I think we would have had a playoff bye and a legit shot at the Super Bowl.

I don’t think we deserve to make the playoffs or have any shot of going anywhere playing the kind of weak-sauce offense that got us our two wins so far. That’s just not consistently workable playbook in the modern NFL. This season comes down to one thing: is Mason Rudolph a legit NFL franchise QB? Can he actually do what real QBs do?

If the answer is yes, then getting enough wins to make the playoffs actually matters. If not, at least we get Ben back next year and we’ll probably know if Rudolph truly has what it takes to be Ben’s successor.

I guess what I’m saying is, I only care about an extra win here or there to make the playoffs if we’re actually a team that has any chance at all of succeeding in the playoffs.

I like our defense but we aren’t the 2000 Ravens or the Jon Grudeb Bucs. We need more than a game manager to be a contender.

I mean, the Pats look like they do have a defense for the ages (at least statistically they have so far been as good as the 2000 Ravens, but I don’t know if that’s sustainable). But does anyone still think they are a Super Bowl contender if Brady goes down for the season? I don’t wish injury on anyone, but intellectually I’d really be interested in seeing how that scenario would play out.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Okay, but if you’re right about this team then the record doesn’t even matter. If we don’t make the playoffs it
    means that we aren’t a playoff caliber team and would die a quick death there anyway.

I think we finally have a defense that is an asset. They can make plays and generate turnovers. If we had that last year I think we would have had a playoff bye and a legit shot at the Super Bowl.

I don’t think we deserve to make the playoffs or have any shot of going anywhere playing the kind of weak-sauce offense that got us our two wins so far. That’s just not consistently workable playbook in the modern NFL. This season comes down to one thing: is Mason Rudolph a legit NFL franchise QB? Can he actually do what real QBs do?

If the answer is yes, then getting enough wins to make the playoffs actually matters. If not, at least we get Ben back next year and we’ll probably know if Rudolph truly has what it takes to be Ben’s successor.

I guess what I’m saying is, I only care about an extra win here or there to make the playoffs if we’re actually a team that has any chance at all of succeeding in the playoffs.

I like our defense but we aren’t the 2000 Ravens or the Jon Grudeb Bucs. We need more than a game manager to be a contender.

I mean, the Pats look like they do have a defense for the ages (at least statistically they have so far been as good as the 2000 Ravens, but I don’t know if that’s sustainable). But does anyone still think they are a Super Bowl contender if Brady goes down for the season? I don’t wish injury on anyone, but intellectually I’d really be interested in seeing how that scenario would play out.
    I totally agree. Like I said if Rudolph grows into a QB that can go for 225+ yards and 2-3 TDs against anyone week in and week out, then game on. This team has a puncher's chance. If not, they are just a crappier version of the Tyrod Taylor Bills. Scuffle along and gut out a plucky 9-7 wild card berth and then get smoked in the playoffs by a superior team.

I totally agree. Like I said if Rudolph grows into a QB that can go for 225+ yards and 2-3 TDs against anyone week in and week out, then game on. This team has a puncher's chance. If not, they are just a crappier version of the Tyrod Taylor Bills. Scuffle along and gut out a plucky 9-7 wild card berth and then get smoked in the playoffs by a superior team.
    Tyrod Taylor Bills almost beat the Jagoffs who smoked us

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Tyrod Taylor Bills almost beat the Jagoffs who smoked us
    So by the transitive property of Steelers fan logic that means the Bills would have only sorta beat the Steelers? Doesn't matter is they still went out with a whimper in the wildcard round.

I remember that Jags-Bills playoff game, it set offensive football back 3 decades.

So by the transitive property of Steelers fan logic that means the Bills would have only sorta beat the Steelers? Doesn't matter is they still went out with a whimper in the wildcard round.

I remember that Jags-Bills playoff game, it set offensive football back 3 decades.
    No, I'm just saying that they didn't necessarily get smoked by a superior team, they made a game of it.

Heck this year, especially since we don't have a 1st round pick, I'm taking a playoff berth as a win, I don't care if it's 9-7 or one and done, especially considering the 1-4 start.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Their "3-decade-ago" offense had no problem beating our "modern day" advanced super-duper professional NFL Offense. In Heinz Field. In the playoffs.

Fully Loaded. Ben, Antonio Brown, Bell, Bryant, Juju... Wasn't enough to beat Blake Bortles.

If Jacksonville had just "gotten with the times" like the Steelers did. The game isn't close.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Their "3-decade-ago" offense had no problem beating our "modern day" advanced super-duper professional NFL Offense. In Heinz Field. In the playoffs.

Fully Loaded. Ben, Antonio Brown, Bell, Bryant, Juju... Wasn't enough to beat Blake Bortles.

If Jacksonville had just "gotten with the times" like the Steelers did. The game isn't close.
    Well, as I recall our offense scored a lot of points in that playoff game. It was our modern inept defense that lost to Blake Bortles in that one.

I would much prefer to have all the players on that offense back and healthy right now (to go along with our current talented and opportunistic defense). Wouldn’t you? Or do you think our current offense gives us a better chance at a championship?

Are you just a fan of old school, 3 yards and a cloud of dust, offense? I’m not really sure I understand why. I mean, you can always trot out the fact that we didn’t win Super Bowls with the killer Bs. I get that. Drew Brees hasn’t won a Super Bowl in a long time either. The Chiefs didn’t win last year. But that doesn’t really prove that old style, grind it out low scoring offense is somehow more effective in the modern NFL.

I guess I’m just really trying to understand your point, and if you could have any kind of offense right now, what would it look like?

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Well, as I recall our offense scored a lot of points in that playoff game. It was our modern inept defense that lost to Blake Bortles in that one.
    Our scored a lot of points in that playoff game, after coughing up a Fumble Six and an ill-advised interception that put the Defense in a bad spot. I also recall a certain 4th and short attempt that failed. At least they all got their nice stat lines in a losing effort.

I would much prefer to have all the players on that offense back and healthy right now (to go along with our current talented and opportunistic defense). Wouldn’t you? Or do you think our current offense gives us a better chance at a championship?
    Of course I would prefer it, but we don't have it. Our current Offense doesn't give us a better chance at a championship. None of them do, but our current Defense might.

Are you just a fan of old school, 3 yards and a cloud of dust, offense? I’m not really sure I understand why. I mean, you can always trot out the fact that we didn’t win Super Bowls with the killer Bs. I get that. Drew Brees hasn’t won a Super Bowl in a long time either. The Chiefs didn’t win last year. But that doesn’t really prove that old style, grind it out low scoring offense is somehow more effective in the modern NFL.
    I want an offense that gets the job done. I want to see an Offense that does its part and compliments the Defense. Converts on possession downs and moves the ball. Every time the Steelers pretended to be the Greatest Show on Turf, they failed.

I guess I’m just really trying to understand your point, and if you could have any kind of offense right now, what would it look like?
    It really doesn't matter what it looks like to me. I want an Offense that when it's 3rd and short in the 4th and they need to take time off the clock, can do it. An Offense that can make plays when its needed the most. An Offense that is very good on 3rd down. An Offense than can convert in the clutch.

It really doesn't matter what it looks like to me. I want an Offense that when it's 3rd and short in the 4th and they need to take time off the clock, can do it. An Offense that can make plays when its needed the most. An Offense that is very good on 3rd down. An Offense than can convert in the clutch.
    More Wildcat and passes that average 2 yards beyond the line of scrimmage!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The season became a long shot in week 2 when Ben was lost for the season. Playing close games against SF(1st), Seattle(2nd), and Balt(1st) in 3 of our losses give a bit of hope. It's still going to be an uphill battle but anything can happen in this league. Players make plays and that funny shaped ball takes some weird bounces. I'm not seeing a SB run this year but I could see a winning season. Possibly even a WC game at the end.

Being able to run the ball is huge. Keep moving the chains and giving the other guys fewer opportunities. The passing game needs to open up. Defense has played well.

Senior Member Array title="PalmerSteel is on a distinguished road"> PalmerSteel's Avatar

take week 1 away, we shot ourselves in the foot on the other 3 losses which could have EASILY been wins without young mistakes that could be corrected over the bye. All 4 teams that beat us are SUPER BOWL CONTENDERS and ranked in the top 10. We can hang with anyone (Besides new england, lol). Like others mentioned, we play better at home and our tougher games are at home. difference between 2-4 and 5-1 is a few fumbles and when we got our boy from Miami. but i get it, we are what our record says we are. Fix things during this bye to not shoot own feet, which is totally doable, and we have a good chance to win the division still!
    "I think they can count on me. And I want them to be able to count on me."
    ~ Big Ben Roethlisberger, 2005

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PalmerSteel View Post
    take week 1 away, we shot ourselves in the foot on the other 3 losses which could have EASILY been wins without young mistakes that could be corrected over the bye. All 4 teams that beat us are SUPER BOWL CONTENDERS and ranked in the top 10. We can hang with anyone (Besides new england, lol). Like others mentioned, we play better at home and our tougher games are at home. difference between 2-4 and 5-1 is a few fumbles and when we got our boy from Miami. but i get it, we are what our record says we are. Fix things during this bye to not shoot own feet, which is totally doable, and we have a good chance to win the division still!
    ^^THIS^^

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

so we’re basically relying on Rudolph’s arm to get us into the playoffs:

sounds like a plan

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post

sounds like a plan
    Is it really a 'plan' if you have no alternative?
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

There are always options. A strong defense and a strong run game opens many doors.

sounds like a plan
    You have to. You are not getting in to the playoffs lining up in the I formation with two TEs and slamming Conner/Samuels/Snell into 8-9 man boxes. There are just not enough ways to "clever" that up so you confuse an NFL defense. That 3rd down option run they did with Hodges against the Chargers was cool and fooled several defenders. It ain't working again.

The Steelers can lean on the run. Attempt to shorten games and not expose Rudolph any more than they have to. But he is going to have come up big on drive extending 3rd downs (I think they are converting like 20-25% right now), he is going to have to throw well enough to back teams out of the tackle box.

Does it have to be a "Rudolph centered" game plan? Nope. But he has to be "scary" enough that actual NFL defenses focus on taking something away besides Conner. Right now, why any defense in the league would do anything besides load up to stop the run and invite Rudolph to try and win the game throwing the ball is beyodn me.

I’m curious as to what that means to use Rudolph’s “arm”. What does that mean exactly? Deep bombs to Johnny Holton on 3rd and 6? Or a dink and dunk passing game in line with what we seen against the Bengals?

The Patriots hammered the Jets with barely any throws going past ten yards.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I’m curious as to what that means to use Rudolph’s “arm”. What does that mean exactly? Deep bombs to Johnny Holton on 3rd and 6? Or a dink and dunk passing game in line with what we seen against the Bengals?

The Patriots hammered the Jets with barely any throws going past ten yards.
    Using the passing game enough to keep moving the chains and keep the defense from loading the box.

You have to. You are not getting in to the playoffs lining up in the I formation with two TEs and slamming Conner/Samuels/Snell into 8-9 man boxes. There are just not enough ways to "clever" that up so you confuse an NFL defense. That 3rd down option run they did with Hodges against the Chargers was cool and fooled several defenders. It ain't working again.

The Steelers can lean on the run. Attempt to shorten games and not expose Rudolph any more than they have to. But he is going to have come up big on drive extending 3rd downs (I think they are converting like 20-25% right now), he is going to have to throw well enough to back teams out of the tackle box.

Does it have to be a "Rudolph centered" game plan? Nope. But he has to be "scary" enough that actual NFL defenses focus on taking something away besides Conner. Right now, why any defense in the league would do anything besides load up to stop the run and invite Rudolph to try and win the game throwing the ball is beyodn me.
    right, guess it’s going to be a bit of a learning process for him: needs to learn to go through his check downs, avoid locking onto receivers, aside from one or two moderate to deep throws ( wide open Johnson on the left side against cinci) haven’t seen much yet. Couldn’t be a better first game back than Miami at home to test things out...

right, guess it’s going to be a bit of a learning process for him: needs to learn to go through his check downs, avoid locking onto receivers, aside from one or two moderate to deep throws ( wide open Johnson on the left side against cinci) haven’t seen much yet. Couldn’t be a better first game back than Miami at home to test things out...
    Agreed. Just avoid X. Howard's side and thing should be okayish?

Is it just me or does it seem like forever since the Steelers played??

Is it just me or does it seem like forever since the Steelers played??
    Yep. I personally don't think a team should play the monday game following a bye week. it's just too long