Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heroes/Goats vs LA

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Heroes/Goats vs LA

Steelers win and keep their season alive.

Heroes: Steelers Defense, Duck, Conner, Steelers Nation.

Goats: Randy Fichtner, Artie Burnt

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Heroes/Goats vs LA

How does Fichtner get a goat with a 4th string QB? Not to mention backup WRs.

Gameballs to the OL, run game, defense, coaches, and Steeler fans in LA.

Steelers win so no goats! 2-4 HERE WE GO!!!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Heroes: Defense 1st 3 quarters dominated, Watt was great, Bush first 3 quarters dominated, Hodges overall handled himself well, Conner dominated, and Snell actually did a good job running, Cam Sutton was awesome too, Jordan Berry had a great night punting, OL did some great run blocking, best game all year they had

Goats: 4th quarter defense soft numerous missed tackles and penalties, 4th quarter Bush in particular couldn't tackle to save his life, Dan McCullers, honestly I have no idea why he is still on the roster, and then Fichtner, running game is going strong and you need to run the clock out, sure enough Fichtner is throwing the ball, and then he decides to upchuck the ball deep downfield and give the Chargers life because he's an idiot. Get a better OC next offseason.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Heroes: Defense 1st 3 quarters dominated, Watt was great, Bush first 3 quarters dominated, Hodges overall handled himself well, Conner dominated, and Snell actually did a good job running, Cam Sutton was awesome too, Jordan Berry had a great night punting, OL did some great run blocking, best game all year they had

Goats: 4th quarter defense soft numerous missed tackles and penalties, 4th quarter Bush in particular couldn't tackle to save his life, Dan McCullers, honestly I have no idea why he is still on the roster, and then Fichtner, running game is going strong and you need to run the clock out, sure enough Fichtner is throwing the ball, and then he decides to upchuck the ball deep downfield and give the Chargers life because he's an idiot. Get a better OC next offseason.
    Rewind that deep pass. Look at the throw. On the money. DB made a play. Steelers WIN idiot. Celebrate!

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Heroes: Watt, Bush, Haden. Honorable mention: Steeler Nation.

Goats: Maurkice Pouncey. What's up with those snaps, dude?
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Rewind that deep pass. Look at the throw. On the money. DB made a play. Steelers WIN idiot. Celebrate!
    How about not upchucking the ball deep when you need to run out the clock and are picking up nice run gains. Also did you not bother to read all of my game balls, and don't call other posters idiots

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Situational football - you are running the ball well - maybe good change of pace call in tie game or down

Up 21 with 10 minutes to go when the clock just needs to run down - not so much

Duck of course still gets game ball along with defense and Conner

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Game Balls: Conner, Duck, Run Blocking, Defense. Extra GBs to Cam Sutton, TJ Watt and Devin Bush. Benny Snell gets to hold one but can’t keep it.

Goats: Holton. He sat back waiting on that pass from Duck instead of going after it. Butler still has some work to do on defense and aid like to see more creativity (aka the Duck Run) in the run game at the end to close it out...

Need to see better finishers!! Like Cam!!

Here’s hoping that Tuitt was held out as a precaution!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Berry gets a game ball. Maybe his best game ever.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I know this will be popular but I give honorable mention to STs.

Holton’s Downing at the one. Sutton’s fielding the onside. Bos perfect. Berry damn near perfect.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    STs rocked out tonight. Dynamite play.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

How does Fichtner get a goat with a 4th string QB? Not to mention backup WRs.
    It's what he did with the 4th string QB and the backup receivers. Upchucking a vomit ball in a game where your Offense is severely limited and needs any kind of momentum and confidence in a big road game with the season on the line. The team's season is hanging in the balance. Now is not the time to play offensive genius.

But enough of that.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Watching Dupree get knocked on his butt by a WR was embarrassing...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Offensive line and Conner basically carried this game for us. All-around good effort by the defense, most visibly Watt, Fitzpatrick and Bush, but really everybody.

Jesus Christ, how many people got hurt tonight and how badly? It seemed like every single player who was having a good game for us ended up on the bench by the end.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

One more hero - the Steelers crowd that took over the mini me Chargers stadium

Steelers needed every edge they could get tonight and IMO the crowd helped energize the defense when it seized control of the game in the begining

Goat - the NFL owners relocating the Chargers to a location where they have no fans after San Diego would not be extorted for mega-$$$ and currently are playing in a joke of a soccer stadium where the markings from last night’s soccer game were still on the field. If the league was about anything other than squeezing out every last nickel it would be embarassed

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    One more hero - the Steelers crowd that took over the mini me Chargers stadium

Steelers needed every edge they could get tonight and IMO the crowd helped energize the defense when it seized control of the game in the begining

Goat - the NFL owners relocating the Chargers to a location where they have no fans after San Diego would not be extorted for mega-$$$ and currently are playing in a joke of a soccer stadium where the markings from last night’s soccer game were still on the field. If the league was about anything other than squeezing out every last nickel it would be embarassed
    While San Diego is not the biggest sports town compared to other cities, that was such crap. Like - they could have probably spent $100 million fixing up the old stadium and gotten another 20 years out of it.

Compared to the other examples of previous-generation stadiums from the '60s through the '80s, that one really had nothing wrong with it. Like, compared to Candlestick Park, or the Oakland Coliseum after they fucked it up for the Raiders ... shit, that place was great.

But no, it is not about merely having a decent and profitable place to watch a game - it must be an Experience. I never really understood the need for that as a fan; once you are at your seat inside a stadium or arena and watching the game, the experience is identical, no matter how much other random crap they slapped on the walls.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Berry gets a game ball. Maybe his best game ever.
    That one kick was awesome so good call mentioning him.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Hero: Benny Snell football and the defense.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Benny Snell football!

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Defense and offensive line. OL came alive, where were they first few weeks?

Also, as good as the D was, will breath easier when Nelson returns and burns goes back to the bench.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Watching Dupree get knocked on his butt by a WR was embarrassing...
    Haha. I missed it. I hope there is a video clip of it or a gif
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    While San Diego is not the biggest sports town compared to other cities, that was such crap. Like - they could have probably spent $100 million fixing up the old stadium and gotten another 20 years out of it.

Compared to the other examples of previous-generation stadiums from the '60s through the '80s, that one really had nothing wrong with it. Like, compared to Candlestick Park, or the Oakland Coliseum after they fucked it up for the Raiders ... shit, that place was great.

But no, it is not about merely having a decent and profitable place to watch a game - it must be an Experience. I never really understood the need for that as a fan; once you are at your seat inside a stadium or arena and watching the game, the experience is identical, no matter how much other random crap they slapped on the walls.
    Well, the "experience" is for the two or so hours spent before the game walking around dropping money on concessions and other stupid things before it even begins. If a quarter of the people did that and dropped 10 dollars each (not too much of a reach now-a-days), that 15-20 thousand people for a total of 150-200 thousand dollars. And, that's just for those eight weeks. There's a ton of other events that go along with it.

I'm not saying I think it is a good idea, just pointing out why it might appeal to owners.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    It's what he did with the 4th string QB and the backup receivers. Upchucking a vomit ball in a game where your Offense is severely limited and needs any kind of momentum and confidence in a big road game with the season on the line. The team's season is hanging in the balance. Now is not the time to play offensive genius.

But enough of that.
    And, we know that's his call how? On top of which, despite what pencil-neck Bengholio said, it wasn't a bad throw at all. I place as much fault on the receiver who should have blocked out the DB coming up from behind him and then made the catch. But, that's a rookie WR mistake as well. So, lesson learned.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Haha. I missed it. I hope there is a video clip of it or a gif
    The wr blocked him from the side when he definitely wasn’t expecting it. Then the receiver went on to make the actual catch. It looked kind of like a Hines Ward move. It was a great all around play by the wr.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Some of my thoughts.

Thank god that next week is a bye week. Great win but this team crawled to the finish line due to injuries. Sure Hope Tuitt's injury isn't serious, was playing at an All-Pro level.

Devin Bush is a star, yes he struggled a bit in the 2nd half but a rolled ankle isn't fun to play with. Watt is incredible also, he owned Sam Levi.

Extremely happy for Hodges. From a undrafted free agent try out to starting a NFL game and winning. Incredible. He's not an NFL starter Imo, but he can be a solid backup for years to come.

Not much to complain about but Sutton should have started over Burns. That man is a flat out baller, Give him more PT please.

Also, I feel for JuJu. Not getting the ball nearly enough. Just hope the rest of the NFL fans around the league don't watch the box score and think he's not playing well. Hopefully after the bye they'll start getting the ball to him.
    Last edited by BlackAndGold; 10-14-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

Back in 2003, Alex Spanos offered to pay for the entire stadium rebuild... if the city would sell him the land under the stadium. Spanos has a plan to build an activity center (much like the one in Arizona).

The city was like: “Eff you... we are gonna build that stuff.”

It’s been 16 years.

SUMMATION:
    The city has done a great job of making Spanos appear to be the bad guy. Kudos to them.

Oh, and I’m glad that I’ll never have to watch another game at The Murph. The toilets routinely backed up (due to bad plumbing). I was at the Jets-Chargers playoff game (2004 season). When it started to rain, the stairs started crumbling: chunks of cement were breaking off. After that, I never sat in the upper sections; I only sat in the “field” level with nothing above me (for fear that the upper levels would collapse on top of the lower sections).

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Hero's - The D all around great game. Bush, Watt, Sutton, Hadden, Dupree. On O Conner, the O-line in general. Special Teams had a very good game. The crowd in LA was Steelers from the very start. Did they really sing Renegade? LOL Mad props to the crowd in L.A.
    I have to say probably the best officiated game we have had in a loooong time.

Goat - Cheap shots by the Chargers late in the game and what was up with phil rivers at the end of the game grabbing Hilton's jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Thank god that next week is a bye week. Great win but this team crawled to the finish line due to injuries. Sure Hope Tuitt's injury isn't serious, was playing at an All-Pro level.
    This postgame quote from Heyward in the linked paywalled article does not sound encouraging

“I am hoping it’s not as bad as … we will see what happens. He is a key part of this defense and my running mate. I will go to war with him every day. I don’t know what is going to happen. I am praying that he will take some time off and come back to us, but we will see.”

https://theathletic.com/1290755/2019...beat-chargers/

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Heroes- Everyone gets to be a hero for a day! I thought Hodges did just fine. He executed the game plan very well. Conner was a beast. Benny Snell did very well while Conner was out. The OL play was dominant tonight. The defense was lights out until they lost Haden, Tuitt, and Watt. Bush was also banged up in the second half. Where has this version of Berry been hiding for the last few years? Special teams played very well in general. A great overall team win while undermanned from a ton of injuries. All coaches did a great job game planning and getting the team ready to play.

Goats- None

To those of you bashing the offensive coordinator, he's the guy that came up with the game plan that helped them win the game with the third-string QB. Was he perfect? No. Was he responsible for every single negative thing that happened on offense? No, he was not.

Let's just enjoy a great win on the road, on the west coast, and with a banged up roster. Good job by all.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I actually think you could give Fichtner and Sean Sarrett (Sp?) a game-ball for totally reworking the running game on the fly. They changed blocking schemes, alignments, and packages for this week. There was a lot of stuff we haven't seen the Steelers run in some time. Even had some stuff out of the pistol.

That and it was good to see the defensive staff adjust to Tuitt going out by playing Hargrave more at DE.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post

Holton’s Downing at the one. Sutton’s fielding the onside. Bos perfect. Berry damn near perfect.
    So Danny Smith was awesome, in addition to Keith Butler!!

When defense and ST sucks, its those guys that get the blame. Since that great performance last night, does that mean fans are now giving them the praise that is due to them?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    This postgame quote from Heyward in the linked paywalled article does not sound encouraging

“I am hoping it’s not as bad as … we will see what happens. He is a key part of this defense and my running mate. I will go to war with him every day. I don’t know what is going to happen. I am praying that he will take some time off and come back to us, but we will see.”

https://theathletic.com/1290755/2019...beat-chargers/
    worst case scenario is torn pec. Could it maybe be a strain?