Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heroes/Goats vs LA

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Heroes/Goats vs LA

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Agreed - I simply do not get laying out $$$ for high priced tickets to a NFL game and then not actually watching the game on the field - but I am old

I posted this in another thread, but when I was at the Seattle game last month there was a group of what appeared to be 20s/early 30s age fans seated near me who spent most of the third quarter in the concessions/lounge area for club level rather than watching the game from what was a good view of the field.

It was not a matter of taking that long to get to the rest room and get something to drink for the second half (after going to Heinz a few times I figured out that is an explanation for a lot of the empty yellow seats for the second half kickoff you see on TV) since they were ahead of me in the line at the bar when I bought a beer for the second half and got back to my seat for kickoff

Those are dream customers for the team - buy the tickets then spend lots of $$ on drinks with marked up prices

That is one hell of a cover charge to go to a sports bar
    It really seems like some kind of weird generational thing where your status is raised by spending ludicrous amounts of money on nothing, just to say how much you spent.

Like, I have a step-former-half-sister or something (not really sure what the correct term is) who is about 10 years younger than me, and it's like all she and her friends used to talk about was how they spent $1,100 a person to do this one weekend, and $3,800 to do that, and I'm like ... how did you spend that much money to go drink on a boat for a few hours or whatever, it doesn't even sound like what you were doing was that much fun, it just cost a lot.

I don't hear about those people as much anymore, so I have no idea if they're still like that, but man, what are you DOING.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

On the stadium conversation...I have a friend that went to a home Cowboys game. He said between the different ads and other things going on on the jumbotron and all the entertainment and lounge areas all around the concourse it was easy to forget there was even a football game going on. And I’m pretty sure it was a Cowboys-Giants game so even a division rivalry game took a backseat for many of the people there. I don’t get the appeal either. So much cheaper and easier and more comfortable to watch games at home with family and friends.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    It really seems like some kind of weird generational thing where your status is raised by spending ludicrous amounts of money on nothing, just to say how much you spent.
    True. Its the narcissism of social media. Many find the value of their experience is dependent on how luxurious it looks on Instagram. They care more of how the game affects their appearance to others online. Where as people like you, Atlanta Dan and others, just want to watch the game and enjoy the experience of watching live NFL football.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    True. Its the narcissism of social media. Many find the value of their experience is dependent on how luxurious it looks on Instagram. They care more of how the game affects their appearance to others online. Where as people like you, Atlanta Dan and others, just want to watch the game and enjoy the experience of watching live NFL football.
    That's the part that I have difficulty understanding. Yes, social media has clearly made lots of people ultra-focused not necessarily on being happy, but on appearing to be happy, and that's not rocket science. I just don't get the desire to appear like you're throwing around tons of money for stupid shit ... like, dude, I KNOW you're not a VIP who hangs out at nightclubs with celebrities - you're a fucking database administrator and you're wasting money on shit that isn't even fun compared to what you can get for like fifty or a hundred bucks by actually, you know ... participating in it. You could be rolling around in pigshit for free and having a good time, and that would make more sense to me than all the people who are forcing smiles onto their faces while they spend money in order to be seen spending money, because they think that's what you're supposed to do.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    That's the part that I have difficulty understanding. Yes, social media has clearly made lots of people ultra-focused not necessarily on being happy, but on appearing to be happy, and that's not rocket science. I just don't get the desire to appear like you're throwing around tons of money for stupid shit ... like, dude, I KNOW you're not a VIP who hangs out at nightclubs with celebrities - you're a fucking database administrator and you're wasting money on shit that isn't even fun compared to what you can get for like fifty or a hundred bucks by actually, you know ... participating in it. You could be rolling around in pigshit for free and having a good time, and that would make more sense to me than all the people who are forcing smiles onto their faces while they spend money in order to be seen spending money, because they think that's what you're supposed to do.
    Multiple studies have shown that the "Like" feature on social media is as addictive and dopamine focused as recreational narcotics.

The reason it doesn't make sense is that you are not an addict. Just like non-addicts can't understand people hooked on meth; many of us can't understand people hooked on the 'gram.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Ray Fittipaldo of the P-G on the craptastic Chargers temp stadium setup

The NFL should be embarrassed for having the Chargers playing in a soccer stadium in L.A., where they obviously have no fan base. It was, for all intents and purposes, a Steelers home game. But beyond that, everything was minor league with the whole experience there. The NFL should have done better. After covering a game there I can't believe that was the best the NFL could do for one of its 32 teams. But no one in the league will say a thing. All the owners care about is their money. No one will ever say a word about teams moving because all owners want that option.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201910150097

Aside from the Chargers having no fans and playing in a stadium that is comparable to that of top tier high school teams in Texas, I noted on one of the Chargers TDs where the receiver got his feet down in the back of the end zone that the groundskeepers could not even get down a clear line where the back of the end zone was.

But the the owners are glad to cash the checks for the $654 million (!) relocation fee the Chargers paid to relocate from San Diego to LA

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/07/13/ra...elocation-fees

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The 49ers fans vastly outnumbered the Rams fans last Sunday. This is all despite a season coming off of a Super Bowl appearance, the Rams Fan support in LA is lackluster and has no teeth.

The Los Angeles experiment is looking more and more like a bust each year. There’s a reason why the Rams left for a smaller market in St.Louis in the first place. Los Angeles is a terrible football town.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The 49ers fans vastly outnumbered the Rams fans last Sunday. This is all despite a season coming off of a Super Bowl appearance, the Rams Fan support in LA is lackluster and has no teeth.

The Los Angeles experiment is looking more and more like a bust each year. There’s a reason why the Rams left for a smaller market in St.Louis in the first place. Los Angeles is a terrible football town.
    I guess after 20 years they forget.

The Raiders could work in L.A., but that's it. They were SUPER popular there when I lived there for a couple years, like almost on the level of the Dodgers and the Lakers, and then they left over stupid shit because Al Davis was a moron. But they're still popular.

Nobody in L.A. gives a shit about the Rams, and nobody anywhere is ever going to give a shit about the Chargers. What they should've done if they were smart was have the Raiders go to L.A., the Chargers go to Vegas (which would be the perfect home for that kind of team), and the Rams, whatever. They could be the first London team for all I care, which is about the same as anyone in Los Angeles cares.

Bottom line, they really fucked up by giving the brush-off to the Raiders, and I doubt football is going to be very successful there for the next 20 years either.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Ray Fittipaldo of the P-G on the craptastic Chargers temp stadium setup

The NFL should be embarrassed for having the Chargers playing in a soccer stadium in L.A., where they obviously have no fan base. It was, for all intents and purposes, a Steelers home game. But beyond that, everything was minor league with the whole experience there. The NFL should have done better. After covering a game there I can't believe that was the best the NFL could do for one of its 32 teams. But no one in the league will say a thing. All the owners care about is their money. No one will ever say a word about teams moving because all owners want that option.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201910150097

Aside from the Chargers having no fans and playing in a stadium that is comparable to that of top tier high school teams in Texas, I noted on one of the Chargers TDs where the receiver got his feet down in the back of the end zone that the groundskeepers could not even get down a clear line where the back of the end zone was.

But the the owners are glad to cash the checks for the $654 million (!) relocation fee the Chargers paid to relocate from San Diego to LA

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/07/13/ra...elocation-fees
    To the bolded portion I absolutely agree and said the same thing to my son when it happened. there was not a clear defined line. Absolutely ridiculous.

As for the fanbase in LA the NFL is getting what it deserves. Fans for opposing teams are the only ones showing up in force. If they would ever put a team here in San Antonio they would have a rebid fanbase. This is the only place where the AAF had record numbers of fans turning out for every game. The last game they played had 30,000 in attendance and that was only 2,000 short of the average turn out for these same chargers last year. I know it will never happen Jerry won't let it, but there are MUCH better places than LA. where a team would get support.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Multiple studies have shown that the "Like" feature on social media is as addictive and dopamine focused as recreational narcotics.

The reason it doesn't make sense is that you are not an addict. Just like non-addicts can't understand people hooked on meth; many of us can't understand people hooked on the 'gram.
    This is why social media is toxic. It gives people a skewed perception of what "normal" is and makes them depressed because their lives don't measure up to the fiction they see online. It stunts their ability to socialize in the real world and tricks them into seeking artificial social acceptance online through likes & shares. I shut down my FB years ago and never got into any of the other platforms. I have a small list of real friends, and we're too busy experiencing life together to waste our time snap chatting about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    there are MUCH better places than LA. where a team would get support.
    Let alone two teams. LA just isn't a football town...
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

[QUOTE=Steeldude;710708]Haha. I missed it. I hope there is a video clip of it or a gif[
    dude blocks alvin to the gruond and than catches a pass

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I can't say what the area around it was like before.
    It was awful. There were hookers walking around, syringes & urine in the streets, broken windows, graffiti... you know: sort of like the good parts of LA.

You would never know that now.

SIDENOTE: In the early 90s, my dad sold a large piece of property in that area/moved his company elsewhere. When Petco Park bought up (and leveled) all of those rat-infested buildings, the owners down there got rich. My dad kicks himself for not keeping that land... to which I remind him that that area was a mugging/stabbing waiting to happen (i.e. you cannot put a price-tag on one’s health).

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It was awful. There were hookers walking around, syringes & urine in the streets, broken windows, graffiti... you know: sort of like the good parts of LA.

You would never know that now.
    I bet you could still find plenty of piss down there, but I know the kind of neighborhood you're talking about. It seems like the bums and hookers just moved a few blocks east - the first time I went to Petco Park, I ended up parking down that way because I didn't know the area, and I was, like, AMAZED that my car was still there when I got back. And actually, I'm mistaken about the bums, they're everywhere.

Anyway, I forget what I was saying, but I'm not sure if one of those stadium megaplex entertainment hubs would have worked at the Qualcomm location or not. Doesn't seem like there's much of a reason to go there even if they did build a bunch of stupid restaurants - just not really a place you'd go to drive there and hang out.

Oh well, now it'll just be shitty condos, since that's all they know how to build. And I'll bet you a million bucks it ends up in a lawsuit anyway, after the developer builds too much of this, or not enough of that, and all the vibrant parks and rec centers they promised will wind up underfunded, and then that land gets sold to build more shitty condos too.

And then later it turns out whoever built the condos was connected to the old mayor somehow, and people are outraged, but not too much, because by then it starts getting into the realm of tiresome political discourse and rehashing reams and reams of planning commission notes. So meanwhile, somebody pocketed $120 million, and they've already got the money, and everyone's tired of it and would rather just go have a sandwich, except for the loudmouth activists that everybody hates. They'll be standing out in front of Stater Bros. sometime in like 2023 with a petition to recall the mayor, but nobody will even care, so they'll just give up and start another petition to raise taxes instead.

Calling it now.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I bet you could still find plenty of piss down there, but I know the kind of neighborhood you're talking about. It seems like the bums and hookers just moved a few blocks east - the first time I went to Petco Park, I ended up parking down that way because I didn't know the area, and I was, like, AMAZED that my car was still there when I got back. And actually, I'm mistaken about the bums, they're everywhere.

Anyway, I forget what I was saying, but I'm not sure if one of those stadium megaplex entertainment hubs would have worked at the Qualcomm location or not. Doesn't seem like there's much of a reason to go there even if they did build a bunch of stupid restaurants - just not really a place you'd go to drive there and hang out.

Oh well, now it'll just be shitty condos, since that's all they know how to build. And I'll bet you a million bucks it ends up in a lawsuit anyway, after the developer builds too much of this, or not enough of that, and all the vibrant parks and rec centers they promised will wind up underfunded, and then that land gets sold to build more shitty condos too.

And then later it turns out whoever built the condos was connected to the old mayor somehow, and people are outraged, but not too much, because by then it starts getting into the realm of tiresome political discourse and rehashing reams and reams of planning commission notes. So meanwhile, somebody pocketed $120 million, and they've already got the money, and everyone's tired of it and would rather just go have a sandwich, except for the loudmouth activists that everybody hates. They'll be standing out in front of Stater Bros. sometime in like 2023 with a petition to recall the mayor, but nobody will even care, so they'll just give up and start another petition to raise taxes instead.

Calling it now.
    Pfff... Mission Valley would have become Millennial Hipster Land.

FOOD:
    WAITER: “It’s not mac’n’cheese, sir... it’s humanely sourced chickpea elbows covered in a locally-cultivated goat-cheese drizzle. It is served on an old sponge, and you use one side of a salad tong as utensils. We call it: mack-inch-E’s.”

PATRON: “Doesn’t matter. I’m not going to eat it; I’m just going to post pictures of it.”

DRINK:
    BARISTA: “This task doesn’t define me. I’m actually a writer.”

PATRON: “Me, too. Of course, my mom’s WiFi doesn’t work in the basement; so, that’s why I cone here every single day.”

ENTERTAINMENT:
    PATRON: “Who’s playing tonight?”

DOORMAN: “Some band you’ve probably never heard of...”

PATRON: “Doesn’t matter... I am just going to stare at my phone anyway.”

DOORMAN: “Doesn’t matter... it’s empty inside, but I’m not letting anyone in.”

PATRON: “I’ll just stand in line, pretending not to listen, while posting about how much I hate everything. Oh, nice man-bun.”

BILL:
    PATRON 1: “I spent $17 on a triple half-caff, vegan chai tea macchiato.”

PATRON 2: “I spent $150 on three beers that were crafted in barrel made from an old Civil War chest.”

PATRON 3: “I don’t ever look at my bill. My mom pays my credit card.”

PATRON 1: “This place is packed. We shouldn’t cone here any more.”

PATRON 2: “I agree. Everyone goes down around Petco. We can’t go there. Where does no one go any more...???”

PATRON 3: “Duh, we should watch a Chargers game. It’s so ‘not cool’ that it’s cool again.”

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

another reason no one cares about the chargers is they have a really shitty overrated QB

Pfff... Mission Valley would have become Millennial Hipster Land.
    Rarely have I looked forward to reading something as much as I did after seeing the first line, and you did not disappoint! You are probably correct about the state of things if that plan had come to fruition.

HOWEVER, there is one fatal flaw at the end: For millennials, there can never be anything more uncool than football. If all the rest of the above are their rules, disdain for football is like a part of their Constitution. Supreme law of the land.

BUT, fantasy football is ok, because it lets you be self-absorbed and constantly checking your iPhone, while also providing something to boast about. So I think we would be looking at approximately Genevieve's Fantasy Sports Bistro. I don't even want to picture what it would be like to go there. Or actually, I kind of do.

Waiter: (looks up from iPhone, bothered to be here) "Can I interest you in one of our signature appetizers to get started, perhaps the latte-infused fried calamari?"

Me: "Fuck you."

Waiter: "Ok! So, can I start you with something to drink?"

Me: "I want a 40. You got any 40s?"

Waiter: "(tssst) ohhhhh I'm sorry. Unfortunately we don't carry any 40s, but I'll let the manager know you asked. We do have a selection of over 120 local craft beers on the back of the menu!"

Me: "These are all India Pale Ale. You got anything that doesn't taste like ass?"

Waiter: "Unfortunately no; our IPAs are very popular."

Me: "Fine. I'll have the, uh ... Gay Boy Flaming IPA. Is that for real?"

Waiter: "It is! Very good. And for the lady?"

BengalGirl5150: "I'll just have a coffee."

Waiter: "All our coffee is 100% organic WTO-certified Fair Trade coffee."

BengalGirl5150: "Hmm. I kinda want unfair-trade coffee, like with maximum misery and exploitation. I don't care about some asshole in Colombia, he doesn't even know why you're handing him all this extra money. You got anything less fair?"

Waiter: "I'm sorry, the Ruthless Capitalism blend was taken off the menu by popular request."

BengalGirl5150: "I'll just have a glass of water."

Waiter: "Excellent choice."

BengalGirl5150: "With a plastic straw."

Waiter: "You disgust me." (to me) "And will there be anything else?"

Me: "Yeah, you guys got pizza?"

Waiter: "Of course! Our pizza menu is on the back."

Me: "I thought the craft beers were on the back."

Waiter: "That's not important, just go there."

Me: "Well I just want a regular pepperoni pizza, you got those?"

Waiter: "(tssst) Ohhhhhh I'm sorry, all of our pizzas are wood-fired speciality pizzas! Our most popular is the Parisian Pizza du Mer."

Me: "You know what, fuck you! TRUMP 2020!!!"

Waiter: "Have you lost your mind?"

Me: "Relax, I don't even like Trump, I just wanted to see how many dumb millennials would have a heart attack if I shouted that."

Waiter: "Judging by the number of them writhing on the floor, it appears to be sixteen."

BengalGirl5150: "SCORE!"

Waiter: (gritting teeth) "Will there be anything else?"

Me: "Yeah - what's the status of the Roman Empire?"

Waiter: (checks iPhone) "It's gone."

Me: "So are the Chargers. Bummer!"

In retrospect, it's probably better for my sake that they didn't build that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Hey nothing wrong with a good IPA, though NEIPA's go too far. Anything with "New England" on it is automatically on my shit list. For some reason though, these stupid kids like it.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Baldinger sounds like he just ran 9 miles at a full tilt sprint...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Baldy has stalked Devin Bush all year lol. He also loves MFF and watching this defense grow.

BengalGirl5150: "I'll just have a coffee."
    This is when I knew that this was a slight embellishment.

BengalGirl5150 drinks nothing except for tears of frustration.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    He sounds like Macho Man Randy Savage.

Bet you had fun digging that up.

- - - Updated - - -

Talk about a thread that’s gone sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Watching Dupree get knocked on his butt by a WR was embarrassing...
    Bince was on Twitter tonight, talking about that exact play. He was talking about how a WR can completely blindside a LB... but, if that same LB even brushes against the WR, it’d be “illegal contact... automatic first down!!!”

This is when I knew that this was a slight embellishment.

BengalGirl5150 drinks nothing except for tears of frustration.
    You'd be surprised, BengalGirl5150 has done a lot of growing up over the past few years. She's used to losing and just accepts it now. She's also an intern at Livermore National Laboratory while she finishes her doctorate in physics from Caltech. I never would have known any of this, if not for meeting her at that imaginary sports bistro. She still farts a lot, though.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Bince was on Twitter tonight, talking about that exact play. He was talking about how a WR can completely blindside a LB... but, if that same LB even brushes against the WR, it’d be “illegal contact... automatic first down!!!”
    Even within 5 yards of the LOS? What if the LB is covering the WR?

And what’s the Hines Ward rule against the blindside block?

But I guess if a certain KIND of block is legal, it should not matter if it’s made by the WR or RB or TE or a lineman. I just don’t know the exact rule when a block from the side is legal and when it’s not.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Okay, at least I figured out what the Hines Ward rule is. The receiver can’t use his helmet or forearm to hit the neck or head area of the defender. In this case the receiver used his forearm, but blocked low enough on Dupree’s side that it wasn’t considered the neck area. So it’s a legal block.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Okay, at least I figured out what the Hines Ward rule is. The receiver can’t use his helmet or forearm to hit the neck or head area of the defender. In this case the receiver used his forearm, but blocked low enough on Dupree’s side that it wasn’t considered the neck area. So it’s a legal block.
    True.

But, again, if the LB made contact with the WR like that, it would have been a penalty (Yes, even within 5 yards of the LOS). Bince’s point is that the rules are vastly skewed towards the offense.