Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bud Dupree No Longer Terrible

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Bud Dupree No Longer Terrible

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/10/fi...a-career-year/

I can't wait to see where this thread goes. But Dupree is on pace for 9 sacks, 12 tackles for loss and 15 QB hits. All career highs.

A similar season from Za'Darius Smith in 2018 got him all of the money this off-season.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Bud Dupree No Longer Terrible

He wasn't bad last year either. He's a solid player, maybe not pro bowl bound, but solid. I don't think he deserves the hate he has coming his way, though the 5th year option is a slight overpay. However, it was the right move. Chickillo isn't starter quality, and it'll take another year for Ola to be ready IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

well imagine that .... in a contract year ...

money is his motivator ....

hard pass moving forward
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post

hard pass moving forward
    Agree 110%

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

hard pass moving forward
    yep, thanks for trying this year but no thank you

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Dupree’s strength has always been vs he run. Which he has been way above average at for his career IMO when seen with context. If he does indeed put up those numbers this season and continues playing the run strong too he will definitely price himself out of a 2nd contract with the Steelers. Hope Ola deserves the love he gets.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Dupree’s strength has always been vs he run. Which he has been way above average at for his career IMO when seen with context. If he does indeed put up those numbers this season and continues playing the run strong too he will definitely price himself out of a 2nd contract with the Steelers. Hope Ola deserves the love he gets.
    Wrong, he was a HUGE reason for our loss to Jax in the playoffs a few years ago. He failed to ever set the edge and Jax ran that way more times than not because of it. Not saying he isn’t improving, but he hasn’t always been good at anything honestly.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Wrong, he was a HUGE reason for our loss to Jax in the playoffs a few years ago. He failed to ever set the edge and Jax ran that way more times than not because of it. Not saying he isn’t improving, but he hasn’t always been good at anything honestly.
    Yes he will struggle vs some players. All players do.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    https://steelersdepot.com/2019/10/fi...a-career-year/

I can't wait to see where this thread goes. But Dupree is on pace for 9 sacks, 12 tackles for loss and 15 QB hits. All career highs.

A similar season from Za'Darius Smith in 2018 got him all of the money this off-season.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I think I said about a year and a half ago, when we first made the terrible decision to pick up the option, that using the fifth-year option is stupid anyway, except as a means to extend your negotiating period with a player you know you want to keep.

If you are not sure about him yet after 4 years, there are only two things that can happen. Either he has a good season and forces a HUGE contract, but you're still not sure if his one decent season was a fluke (aka the Jason DongWorilds scenario) ... or he plays so poorly that you don't want to re-sign him, so all you did was massively overpay a shitty player for a year.

I am not surprised Dupree is putting up ok numbers. Look at how Watt and the others are doing, especially Watt. When Dong Dupree has other people drawing all the attention away from him, he dongs his way to some ok numbers. He does not create much impact on his own, he is just not a top-tier playmaker or even much of a playmaker at all, and that does not look like it's changed a bit.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Junior Member Array title="Lamberts_Lunatic will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    he dongs his way to some ok numbers. .
    DongSack!

Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

If I recall correctly they recently (maybe last year) moved him to the other side of the line. That move seems to have made a difference in his play. Yes he still makes a few over runs but seems he is getting things down much better. I hope he is the answer because I really don't want to have to find his replacement and hope that works out for us. I also think we have bigger needs TEs and WRs that need to be filled.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    If I recall correctly they recently (maybe last year) moved him to the other side of the line. That move seems to have made a difference in his play. Yes he still makes a few over runs but seems he is getting things down much better. I hope he is the answer because I really don't want to have to find his replacement and hope that works out for us. I also think we have bigger needs TEs and WRs that need to be filled.
    Was just going to say about moving him made a difference and even more so for Watt. Watt was a beast from the left in college.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    What else happened when Dupree started to make his (modest) improvements?

I'll give you a hint - some other guy joined the team and people started being afraid of him instead, and leaving Dupree alone. Can't remember the guy's name ... Larry Watt, or J.J. Lott, or something like that.

But even with that guy around, Dupree is only ok. Seems like anyone who is not completely incompetent will probably do all right when all the blockers are worrying about J.J. Lott.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    What else happened when Dupree started to make his (modest) improvements?

I'll give you a hint - some other guy joined the team and people started being afraid of him instead, and leaving Dupree alone. Can't remember the guy's name ... Larry Watt, or J.J. Lott, or something like that.

But even with that guy around, Dupree is only ok. Seems like anyone who is not completely incompetent will probably do all right when all the blockers are worrying about J.J. Lott.
    Well, that and they started scheming to his strengths finally rather than trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Personally, I think Dupree's ceiling is slightly above an average NFL player. And, I don't know if he'll ever hit it. But, that being said, forcing him to play outside of his strengths is not a smart idea. (there was a big discussion about that this summer in camp, if I remember correctly, how they were rescheming his position. Several of the radio personalities around the team were saying to be ready for him this year).

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Well, that and they started scheming to his strengths finally rather than trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Personally, I think Dupree's ceiling is slightly above an average NFL player. And, I don't know if he'll ever hit it. But, that being said, forcing him to play outside of his strengths is not a smart idea. (there was a big discussion about that this summer in camp, if I remember correctly, how they were rescheming his position. Several of the radio personalities around the team were saying to be ready for him this year).
    So lousy coaching hindering the development of young talent. Hmmm

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Correct. His inspired play this year raises his overall cumulative play to lousy.
    Let him play for his big contract with another team.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

So he conveniently has a career year in a contract year and he is merely adequate. Hmm

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Sometimes it seems that they are doing some interesting things schematically with Dupree. He plays that short hook zone against RBs and TEs fairly well. Allows them to bring other defenders on the rush. Ola and Chickillo cant provide that. He was also the “spy” defender against Jackson a few times. Again, something not every other OLB can do.

Sunday night is an interesting benchmark. Most of the guys the Chargers role out at OLB besides Ingram and if they slide Bosa out there, are the definition of “just a random guy”.

Also it will be interesting to see what happens with the Broncos opposite Von Miller. Another situation where there is a test case for anyone can come in and succeed in a good system with other good players.

Is any of this enough to resign Dupree to a massive deal? Prolly not. But 10-12 million per wouldn’t make me cry. Especially if they structured it so that it hit the books in a friendly way. The entire thing hinges on Ola proving he can play in space AND rush the passer against NFL starters. Really hope he passes Chick on the depth chart and gets enough snaps to accurately make that evaluation.

To be clear, if the team could sign either Dupree or Hargrave, all in on Hargrave with out a second glance at Dupree. I suspect Hargrave bolts.

BUT — what about a 32 year old Von Miller getting lured out of Denver with the chance for one last playoff run?

Sometimes it seems that they are doing some interesting things schematically with Dupree. He plays that short hook zone against RBs and TEs fairly well. Allows them to bring other defenders on the rush. Ola and Chickillo cant provide that. He was also the “spy” defender against Jackson a few times. Again, something not every other OLB can do.

Sunday night is an interesting benchmark. Most of the guys the Chargers role out at OLB besides Ingram and if they slide Bosa out there, are the definition of “just a random guy”.

Also it will be interesting to see what happens with the Broncos opposite Von Miller. Another situation where there is a test case for anyone can come in and succeed in a good system with other good players.

Is any of this enough to resign Dupree to a massive deal? Prolly not. But 10-12 million per wouldn’t make me cry. Especially if they structured it so that it hit the books in a friendly way. The entire thing hinges on Ola proving he can play in space AND rush the passer against NFL starters. Really hope he passes Chick on the depth chart and gets enough snaps to accurately make that evaluation.
    I think a new deal for Dupree will depend on three things.

1. How he plays all season long (obviously).
    2. His desire to remain a Steeler (obviously).
    3. The development of our Safeties, QBs, and WRs (not so obvious).

Why the third? We have to draft replacements. If one of these QBs progresses to the point where we are comfortable with him being the starter, it'll free up a high draft pick. If our safeties step up this year and continue to play well, we won't have to worry about restocking that position. The one that concerns me right now is WR. We may have to spend a draft pick there. But, the less we have to fill holes in other places, the more expendable Dupree will be. The more we have to worry about drafting in other positions, the more likely Dupree remains a Steeler with a bit of an oversized contract.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

To be clear, if the team could sign either Dupree or Hargrave, all in on Hargrave with out a second glance at Dupree. I suspect Hargrave bolts.

BUT — what about a 32 year old Von Miller getting lured out of Denver with the chance for one last playoff run?

I would pay hargrave in a second over bud. Dupree is going to want 1st round money without 1st round results. I’d kick the tires on miller. I mean if he doesn’t have any major injury issues, why not. Watt & Miller would be sweet.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

This team needs a strong pass rusher opposite of watt and it isn’t Bud. No dong contract.He wasn’t worthy of a R1 pick and he surely doesn’t deserve a big contract like he is one.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    This team needs a strong pass rusher opposite of watt and it isn’t Bud. No dong contract.He wasn’t worthy of a R1 pick and he surely doesn’t deserve a big contract like he is one.
    I want a upgrade but he is decent for this season. Can't address everything and Steelers may need to use high picks on OL and even RB next season.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

In 114 snaps (which is equivalent to starting two games), Chase Winovich has 5 sacks.

I would have gladly traded away the picks used on Justin Layne, Benny Snell, and Zach Gentry in order to have acquired Winovich.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Not to mention he’s been more than solid in run support...

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Not to mention he’s been more than solid in run support...
    There was a running play against the Ravens where Marshall Yanda (no slouch) was pulling. Dupree threw Yanda aside and made the TFL.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Devin Bush is the new Kong of Dong.

Had a dong fumble recovery where the QB passed backwards and the receiver dripped it, and a dong INT that was the result of a deflection. And that ponytail looks like a giant dong flapping around

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Devin Bush is the new Kong of Dong.

Had a dong fumble recovery where the QB passed backwards and the receiver dripped it, and a dong INT that was the result of a deflection. And that ponytail looks like a giant dong flapping around
    That may be true. But, did either Vince Williams or the other veteran Steeler pick up that backward pass? Kind of looked like Bush was the 3rd guy there and his hustle and awareness lead to picking up that fumble and the TD.

Dong is OLB's beating TE's and RB's for a sack. Being opportunistic because you are always around the football like Devin Bush, doesn't rate in the dong category IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    That may be true. But, did either Vince Williams or the other veteran Steeler pick up that backward pass? Kind of looked like Bush was the 3rd guy there and his hustle and awareness lead to picking up that fumble and the TD.

Dong is OLB's beating TE's and RB's for a sack. Being opportunistic because you are always around the football like Devin Bush, doesn't rate in the dong category IMO.
    I know, I'm just channeling my inner StillMill

In all seriousness, there's no such thing as dong plays, production is production