Thread: Impressions from the Burgh

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Impressions from the Burgh

I just got back from Pittsburgh last night after an incredibly fun weekend catching my first Steelers game in Pittsburgh - here's a few takeaways I had:

The fan base:

My judgement is colored from having spent the last 20+ years in Colorado, so comparing Steeler fans to Broncos fans is the only first-hand comparison I can make. In a word: Holy shit! (Sorry, that was two words). Grabbing a Primanti's on the Strip and touring all the Yinzer shops on Penn Ave, you get a sense of how absolutely massive the fan base really is. Met some people from Canada, Alabama, and California - all flying in for the game, all touring the ridiculously large number of shops to get shwag. I've never seen another city that has an entire city street dedicated to these shops. Denver has absolutely nothing like this - which means they have nothing even approaching the kind of fan base Pittsburgh enjoys.

Thought I was gonna look out of place wearing a game day jersey on Saturday. Nope. I was just one of the several hundred people I saw wearing one the day before the game.

The pregame experience:

Took the 'Sailgate' to the stadium which motors from the marina on 23rd street and docks right next to the south end of the stadium. Any out-of-towners looking for a different kind of tailgating experience, I highly recommend this option. Free food and open bar for 2 hours before kickoff. Jeff Reed came on board, took pictures with everyone, signed everybody's stuff (including my Terrible Towel) - and even let everyone getting a picture wear his SB XL ring. Nicest guy in the world. And yeah, his legs really are built like tree trunks.

The stadium experience:

Again, bear in mind - I'm the out-of-towner here, so I'm usually the one wearing the wrong-colored jersey and trying to stay out of fistfights. Typical Broncos games are at least 30% Steeler fans, probably more. They despise when we come to town because it's such a heavy takeover. Not so in Pittsburgh. I, literally, saw maybe 50 Ravens fans in the stadium. It's absolute, unequivocal home team domination in the stands. I've never seen anything like it.

Fan behavior was also surprising to me. Denver has gotten progressively worse and worse in the last 20 years. Fights are common, people getting absolutely shithoused before kickoff is nothing unique. Every game I go to there, some drunk asshat will invariably try to start something. I saw none of that anywhere at Heinz Field. Steeler fans were respectful of Ravens fans. The Ravens fans we chatted with were totally cool. It was almost a level of 'fan professionalism' that you don't see in other stadiums. People are there for the football game, not to tangle with opposing fans. Never once saw a fight. In fact, the only person I saw get tossed was some Ravens fan who was talking too much shit and got bounced in the 4th quarter when the Steelers were up 23-20. His wife was beyond pissed.

The game experience:

It's a gorgeous stadium looking right out on the confluence. We were in the northwest 500-level (near the north-end jumbotron), so had amazing views to the south. People know when to get loud and when to shut up, that "IT'S THIIIIRRRDD DOOOOWWNNN!!!" crap needs to go away. If you don't know when to get to AC/DC-concert-decibel-levels as a fan, you should hand your tickets off to someone else who does. Nobody should need a reminder on down, distance and situation. If you do, then you hit it too hard at the tailgate.

The Mason hit was surreal in that nobody in the stadium had any idea what was going on. When he completed the pass, all eyes followed the football to James Washington to see if he'd get the first down. By the time anyone looked back to Mason, he was already surrounded by his O-line who were frantically beckoning the trainers over. There was a huge crowd around him including Ben (I suppose to create a little privacy). From our vantage point, all we could see were Mason's feet. And they weren't moving. They refused to show a replay on the Jumbotron, probably because they though it might incite a riot. We all thought it was the hit from behind by Carr that knocked him out - it wasn't until well after the game did we get a sense of what really happened.

We couldn't see him stand up, but then once he stood up, the crowd went nuts. He walked to the tunnel under his own power - and it took a loooong time to get there. Play had already resumed and he was still gingerly making his way down the sidelines. As he got close to the tunnel, he pulled his helmet off (just the shell at that point), and looked like he didn't know where he was. From that look, we were amazed that he actually got to go home the same night.

When Mason went down, the Ravens fans cheered when he got up. When a Ravens player went down, the crowd cheered when he got up. Very respectful on both sides. I won't belabor the end of the game other than to say I wanted to personally go down and put one between Willie Snead XIV's eyes on his way to the tunnel. Classless piece-of-shit asshole. 'Nuff said.

Renegade:

When they pinned the Ravens on the 1-yard-line, they cranked 'Renegade'. That's the most off-the-chain I've ever seen a stadium get. The defense looked ready to kill somebody. Pretty sure the Ravens went backwards by a half yard, and we all thought they got the safety on third down. I still get goosebumps thinking about how insane the stadium went after that song came over the PA.

Post game:

People were subdued, without the wailing and gnashing-of-teeth associated with a post-season loss. When you're rolling out a 3rd string QB at any point, your season is pretty well effed, anyhow. We'd intended to stay on the north side and find a sports bar to watch the late games and skip the boat ride back to the strip. My wife had to unload a few beers, so we were looking for a bathroom on the way down the north-end concourse, when we discovered Heinz Field Fun Fact #12: Once you're on the ramps down, they reaallly want you out of the stadium. There are no more bathrooms, and nothing outside. Well shit. So, we headed back to the boat which had a head.

Glad we did - since on the way back, word got out that it was my 49th birthday, so the captain bought me a round. When I grabbed my free Yuengling, the bartender asked if I'd like a like a shot to go with it. Weeelll, when presented with that kind of logic ... "Just nothing from the top shelf." Okay, I'll take a Jose Cuervo. "Ah, screw it - how 'bout a Patron?" Ma'am, you're manna from heaven.

The only thing better would've been had we gotten a win on Sunday - but at this point, the season looks to be inexorably screwed anyway. A great experience all around. Next time, we'll have to bring the kids.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Impressions from the Burgh

Awesome post! My trip to Heinz field was pretty similar to yours. Steelers gear / gameday jerseys are pretty much normal attire. I arrived early to check out the city, on a thursday, and literally every day people walking around with Steeler gear. Even some grocery stores had employees wearing Steeler shirts lol. I haven't seen anything like it, they love the B&G there it's literally a part of the city's culture. I can see why NFL players love playing in the city, they're basically heroes there.

I expected to see some hostility between ravens / steelers fans, I also went when we played the ravens and were 1-4 at the time (Oct 2013). At that point I had no expectations, I literally said before the game, 2-14 is OK just win this one! The ravens fans were classy, and everyone was nice to them. Some ravens fans were even tailgating with groups of Steeler fans. One of em wearing a flacco jersey allowed me to do the polamalu tomahawk chop pose in a picture lol.

I got bought a bunch of free beer at the stadium and at the hotel bar. One random dude I was chatting with bought me a beer for being a veteran, another at the stadium bought me another beer for coming all the way from Hawaii to watch a game. Some great people there, the stadium experience was freakin' awesome especially after a win. When Suisham kicked the game winning FG it was a party in the stands. Despite being 2-4 everybody was pumped, I guess at that time we didn't care about playoffs, but anytime you beat the Ravens it's a good day

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

I've had enough negative experiences and seen sufficient horrible displays of humanity at Broncos games that I decided I'd never bring my kids to that stadium. Pittsburgh was a completely different caliber of fan - everyone was awesome.

My 13-year-old daughter is already wearing the Steelers hoodie we brought back from Penn Ave. My 11-year-old son is waffling a bit more in his allegiance. I'm thinking if we can get them to the stadium to see a home game next year, I'll have them both on the bandwagon for life.

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

Great post! Glad you enjoyed your time in the Burgh.
    NOTHING and I do mean NOTHING beats being in the stadium and around other fans for the blasting of Renegade!!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Thanks for the great post - glad you had a fun time

I made my annual trip to Heinz for the Seahawks game this year.

Heinz has always been a great atmosphere and friendly folks in what is now the fifth consecutive year I have attended the home opener. I always prefer day games to avoid more drunks at night and being able to enjoy the walk along the Allegheny and across the Clemente Bridge back to the hotel after the game win or lose.

What surprised me in sitting at west side club level (200s section behind the Steelers bench) was the number of fans who spent most of the third quarter in the concessions area/lounge to watch the game on the TVs and pound black cherry White Claws at $10.50 a can rather than walk the 50 yards back to their seats and watch the actual game - most expensive cover charge for a sports bar in Pittsburgh

Worth it just to hear the crowd get fired up when Renegade is played in the 4th quarter

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    I just got back from Pittsburgh last night after an incredibly fun weekend catching my first Steelers game in Pittsburgh - here's a few takeaways I had:

The fan base:

My judgement is colored from having spent the last 20+ years in Colorado, so comparing Steeler fans to Broncos fans is the only first-hand comparison I can make. In a word: Holy shit! (Sorry, that was two words). Grabbing a Primanti's on the Strip and touring all the Yinzer shops on Penn Ave, you get a sense of how absolutely massive the fan base really is. Met some people from Canada, Alabama, and California - all flying in for the game, all touring the ridiculously large number of shops to get shwag. I've never seen another city that has an entire city street dedicated to these shops. Denver has absolutely nothing like this - which means they have nothing even approaching the kind of fan base Pittsburgh enjoys.

Thought I was gonna look out of place wearing a game day jersey on Saturday. Nope. I was just one of the several hundred people I saw wearing one the day before the game.

The pregame experience:

Took the 'Sailgate' to the stadium which motors from the marina on 23rd street and docks right next to the south end of the stadium. Any out-of-towners looking for a different kind of tailgating experience, I highly recommend this option. Free food and open bar for 2 hours before kickoff. Jeff Reed came on board, took pictures with everyone, signed everybody's stuff (including my Terrible Towel) - and even let everyone getting a picture wear his SB XL ring. Nicest guy in the world. And yeah, his legs really are built like tree trunks.

The stadium experience:

Again, bear in mind - I'm the out-of-towner here, so I'm usually the one wearing the wrong-colored jersey and trying to stay out of fistfights. Typical Broncos games are at least 30% Steeler fans, probably more. They despise when we come to town because it's such a heavy takeover. Not so in Pittsburgh. I, literally, saw maybe 50 Ravens fans in the stadium. It's absolute, unequivocal home team domination in the stands. I've never seen anything like it.

Fan behavior was also surprising to me. Denver has gotten progressively worse and worse in the last 20 years. Fights are common, people getting absolutely shithoused before kickoff is nothing unique. Every game I go to there, some drunk asshat will invariably try to start something. I saw none of that anywhere at Heinz Field. Steeler fans were respectful of Ravens fans. The Ravens fans we chatted with were totally cool. It was almost a level of 'fan professionalism' that you don't see in other stadiums. People are there for the football game, not to tangle with opposing fans. Never once saw a fight. In fact, the only person I saw get tossed was some Ravens fan who was talking too much shit and got bounced in the 4th quarter when the Steelers were up 23-20. His wife was beyond pissed.

The game experience:

It's a gorgeous stadium looking right out on the confluence. We were in the northwest 500-level (near the north-end jumbotron), so had amazing views to the south. People know when to get loud and when to shut up, that "IT'S THIIIIRRRDD DOOOOWWNNN!!!" crap needs to go away. If you don't know when to get to AC/DC-concert-decibel-levels as a fan, you should hand your tickets off to someone else who does. Nobody should need a reminder on down, distance and situation. If you do, then you hit it too hard at the tailgate.

The Mason hit was surreal in that nobody in the stadium had any idea what was going on. When he completed the pass, all eyes followed the football to James Washington to see if he'd get the first down. By the time anyone looked back to Mason, he was already surrounded by his O-line who were frantically beckoning the trainers over. There was a huge crowd around him including Ben (I suppose to create a little privacy). From our vantage point, all we could see were Mason's feet. And they weren't moving. They refused to show a replay on the Jumbotron, probably because they though it might incite a riot. We all thought it was the hit from behind by Carr that knocked him out - it wasn't until well after the game did we get a sense of what really happened.

We couldn't see him stand up, but then once he stood up, the crowd went nuts. He walked to the tunnel under his own power - and it took a loooong time to get there. Play had already resumed and he was still gingerly making his way down the sidelines. As he got close to the tunnel, he pulled his helmet off (just the shell at that point), and looked like he didn't know where he was. From that look, we were amazed that he actually got to go home the same night.

When Mason went down, the Ravens fans cheered when he got up. When a Ravens player went down, the crowd cheered when he got up. Very respectful on both sides. I won't belabor the end of the game other than to say I wanted to personally go down and put one between Willie Snead XIV's eyes on his way to the tunnel. Classless piece-of-shit asshole. 'Nuff said.

Renegade:

When they pinned the Ravens on the 1-yard-line, they cranked 'Renegade'. That's the most off-the-chain I've ever seen a stadium get. The defense looked ready to kill somebody. Pretty sure the Ravens went backwards by a half yard, and we all thought they got the safety on third down. I still get goosebumps thinking about how insane the stadium went after that song came over the PA.

Post game:

People were subdued, without the wailing and gnashing-of-teeth associated with a post-season loss. When you're rolling out a 3rd string QB at any point, your season is pretty well effed, anyhow. We'd intended to stay on the north side and find a sports bar to watch the late games and skip the boat ride back to the strip. My wife had to unload a few beers, so we were looking for a bathroom on the way down the north-end concourse, when we discovered Heinz Field Fun Fact #12: Once you're on the ramps down, they reaallly want you out of the stadium. There are no more bathrooms, and nothing outside. Well shit. So, we headed back to the boat which had a head.

Glad we did - since on the way back, word got out that it was my 49th birthday, so the captain bought me a round. When I grabbed my free Yuengling, the bartender asked if I'd like a like a shot to go with it. Weeelll, when presented with that kind of logic ... "Just nothing from the top shelf." Okay, I'll take a Jose Cuervo. "Ah, screw it - how 'bout a Patron?" Ma'am, you're manna from heaven.

The only thing better would've been had we gotten a win on Sunday - but at this point, the season looks to be inexorably screwed anyway. A great experience all around. Next time, we'll have to bring the kids.

Every Steelers fan should make the pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime.

It sounds like you had an awesome time. I'm happy it lived up to the hype.

It sucks that they didn't win, but you have a lifetime of memories and real perspective of what is going on when your team is on the field.

Great post!

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Great post...went for a long weekend with my son and I’ll never forget it.
    The food, the jerseys you see around town, the rivers, the bridges, the incline on a clear night, the stadium, the game itself...etc.
    Renegade to start the fourth quarter is something every Steelers fan should experience.

Senior Member Array title="crcsnail has a spectacular aura about"> crcsnail's Avatar

Great post. Still on my to do list.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Thanks for the great post - glad you had a fun time

I made my annual trip to Heinz for the Seahawks game this year.

Heinz has always been a great atmosphere and friendly folks in what is now the fifth consecutive year I have attended the home opener. I always prefer day games to avoid more drunks at night and being able to enjoy the walk along the Allegheny and across the Clemente Bridge back to the hotel after the game win or lose.

What surprised me in sitting at west side club level (200s section behind the Steelers bench) was the number of fans who spent most of the third quarter in the concessions area/lounge to watch the game on the TVs and pound black cherry White Claws at $10.50 a can rather than walk the 50 yards back to their seats and watch the actual game - most expensive cover charge for a sports bar in Pittsburgh

Worth it just to hear the crowd get fired up when Renegade is played in the 4th quarter
    Thanks and never heard of White Claws till this post and then googled it. I bought a 6 of Mango flavor though and not to bad. Guess the 2 grams of carbs and gluten free is the appeal for most.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

First off, I appreciate your assessment of 99.9% of the Ravens fans in attendance (other than the one you saw ejected lol). I think the truth is that we "hate" the Steelers as well as respect a franchise that plays (and values) the game as much as Baltimore fans do.

Never been to Heinz, but it's nice to know that if I ever did make the trip (which was much more likely when I lived in Maryland vs Texas where I just relocated), I would be welcomed as I am not an a-hole lol.

Here's the 110% truth. When it comes to true fans of the game, you will be hard-pressed to find better, and more knowledgeable fans, than Steelers fans. I think Baltimore and Green Bay fans are a close second. But the Steeler fanbase extends far and wide, and the vast majority know a lot more than who the starting QB is lol.

Maybe one day I'll make it to a game there. I used to travel to Pittsburgh a lot in years past but not any more. It's a shame. Best Friday fish sandwiches you'll ever have!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

bump

(Thos is a great thread, which should be read by everyone.)

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    bump

(Thos is a great thread, which should be read by everyone.)
    Already did reed it hours ago and gave him Reputation thing.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Great read and, I remember my first and only Steeler game back in 94 a@ Three Rivers. The people of the Burgh are awesome and, I got invited to tailgate with some other fans the gave me an Iron City Beer & several Brauts!! They saw my license plate from Delaware and, said you are one of us! I had a blast I really want to go to Hines field before Ben retires.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Great post. I took my son two years ago when he turned 10 ... and we got to watch them destroy the Jets! We drove 5 hours from Ithaca, NY to get there and stayed the weekend at the Sheraton then rode the boat over.

Being from Philly originally, your post is dead on about the fans/stadium experience. Night and day compared to the animals in Philly. We had seats 10 rows up from the goal post on the closed end of the stadium. It's a great town to visit. I'm looking forward to heading back with my son in 9 years when he can legally drink!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Great post. I took my son two years ago when he turned 10 ... and we got to watch them destroy the Jets! We drove 5 hours from Ithaca, NY to get there and stayed the weekend at the Sheraton then rode the boat over.

Being from Philly originally, your post is dead on about the fans/stadium experience. Night and day compared to the animals in Philly. We had seats 10 rows up from the goal post on the closed end of the stadium. It's a great town to visit. I'm looking forward to heading back with my son in 9 years when he can legally drink!
    My boys just turned 10 and I’m trying to plan a trip like yours for next season...so expensive though...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Junior Member Array title="weekend warrior is an unknown quantity at this point">

Nice post Squeegee

I took my brother-in-law to a Pens and Steelers game plus stadium tour to celebrate my birthday.
    I just had surgery on my arm so typing sucks right now , so I will copy and paste what I wrote on the other forum I belong to in regards to the trip.

enjoyed the following locations for food, Pepi's, Bigelow Grille, Joe and Pie Cafe & Pizzeria, The Commoner and The Church Brew Works, all were great, especially the last 2 listed
    Doubletree Hotel was awesome and located so conveniently central to all we did while in town --- new subway system just outside the hotel takes you to Point State Park and Heinz Field for free
    PPG Paints Arena was amazing and the Pens kicked ass
    Heinz Field and the game on Sunday-- good crowd, good interaction with the people surrounding us
    As far as the game-- poor start, frustrating officiating, questionable play calling especially deep in our end (wildcat), defence splashing here and there was good to see. Replay really slowing down the game.
    Tomlin inevitable use of the clock management and timeouts continues to be poor. Boz kicking well again a bright spot. Mason and Duck making plays when given the chance.
    Renegade playing in the 4th quarter getting the crowd ramped up---chills --love that song
    Overtime --what can I say-----I am jokingly speaking to a bunch of fans around me and said watch us win the toss and Tomlin will defer..Seconds later they are all looking at me with their jaws wide opened asking what just happened. I could care less that the team did hold them on the first possession. Deferring in a game at home with the crowd noise advantage, playing a division rival with a chance to move to the top of div. standings hanging in the balance, 2nd string QB down and Duck still allowing us to compete for a win----------take the f***ing ball and send the message we are the ffffing Steelers and this is our house .... the standard is the standard..... my gut feeling at the time was our boys would have scored on OFFENSE and if they didn't the DEF would have stepped up and we would get a 2nd opportunity or at least left the stadium with a tie

Overall great time except OT loss