Thread: Quarterback Mason Rudolph Returns To Practice

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quarterback Mason Rudolph Returns To Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Quarterback Mason Rudolph Returns To Practice

That's nuts. I guess you never can tell what's going to happen when you get hit in the head.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Holy crap. This kid is earning a well-deserved reputation as a tough S.O.B. An absolute prerequisite for the Pittsburgh fan base to get behind you.

A completely non-sequitor comment: I love how high his arm angle is on release, you can see it in that photo. How many passes has 6' 5" Ben had batted down over the years with his 3/4 arm-angle delivery? Mason is delivering from 12 o'clock consistently. It's gotta be at least a foot higher on release. One more little thing I like about #2 ...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    Holy crap. This kid is earning a well-deserved reputation as a tough S.O.B. An absolute prerequisite for the Pittsburgh fan base to get behind you.

A completely non-sequitor comment: I love how high his arm angle is on release, you can see it in that photo. How many passes has 6' 5" Ben had batted down over the years with his 3/4 arm-angle delivery? Mason is delivering from 12 o'clock consistently. It's gotta be at least a foot higher on release. One more little thing I like about #2 ...
    Looks like a Bradshaw type arch and how he is holding the ball as well.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    I would hate to think anyone (thinking of you Hines Ward) would regard being able to come back or not come back quickly from a concussion as being a reason to get behind a "tough" player. Just another data point on how much remains to be learned about how long a player takes to pass the tests after suffering brain trauma and its relationship to the severity of any one concussion.

I am pleased to the point of being stunned that Mason has gone through the protocol so quickly - I thought the force of his helmet hitting the ground alone after he was knocked out and did a dead drop to the turf would have been enough to cause a concussion.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Looks like a Bradshaw type arch and how he is holding the ball as well.
    He'll never have the howitzer that Bradshaw had, but a very similar release. Also, these pictures don't show it, but he puts his index finger on the back of the ball. Bradshaw's one of the only other QB's I've seen who did that.

Every time I've tried that with a football it comes out quacking like a 39-year-old Peyton Manning back-shoulder throw. I have no idea how you can actually spiral a football with your finger on the back of the ball, but it works for those guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I am pleased to the point of being stunned that Mason has gone through the protocol so quickly - I thought the force of his helmet hitting the ground alone after he was knocked out and did a dead drop to the turf would have been enough to cause a concussion.
    It also appears that he was taking reps with the practice squad. So, I'd say there's no chance of him playing Sunday - but this was certainly nice to see him getting through the protocol by Wednesday.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Yep the index finger is why I mentioned Bradshaw.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

If he passes the concussion protocol that was an extremely quick recovery. I had a concussion back in high school and it took nearly a week for the headaches to go away, forget trying to practice 3 days after it happened.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

In all seriousness, it's good to see the kid back in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    If he passes the concussion protocol that was an extremely quick recovery. I had a concussion back in high school and it took nearly a week for the headaches to go away, forget trying to practice 3 days after it happened.
    He won't play this week but great seeing him practice this soon. Maybe they will have him as the emergency 2 this week if they are not bring Lynch up.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Good to see him back!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Considering the fact that this week during practice, the Steelers’ defense is hitting their own offensive players...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Yep the index finger is why I mentioned Bradshaw.
    His hands measured a bit smallish at the combine. So he has to get his index and middle finger up above the laces to grip the ball. I seem to recall Bradshaw said he used to put his index finger near the noseof the ball.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

It nice to see Mason back at practice and, hopefully he will back at the helm soon.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Considering the fact that this week during practice, the Steelers’ defense is hitting their own offensive players...

That's because Tomlin is only a cheerleader....

Member Array title="Blast Furnace is on a distinguished road">

You can be knocked out without suffering a concussion. He took a hit more to the chin than to the top or side of the head, so he may not even have any headaches associated with a concussion. Though there is trauma to the brain, I'm not sure if it's exactly the same thing.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blast Furnace View Post
    You can be knocked out without suffering a concussion. He took a hit more to the chin than to the top or side of the head, so he may not even have any headaches associated with a concussion. Though there is trauma to the brain, I'm not sure if it's exactly the same thing.
    To me it looked like the hit he took after he was knocked out was worse (when his head hit the ground)
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I would expect him back after the bye if he’s doing well enough to practice. How many consecutive days was he out there? Could be those reps were part of his concussion protocol. Decision making tests and checking memory function and motor skills and such. I have no idea just wondering.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I would expect him back after the bye if he’s doing well enough to practice. How many consecutive days was he out there? Could be those reps were part of his concussion protocol. Decision making tests and checking memory function and motor skills and such. I have no idea just wondering.
    My experience with concussion testing is that tests are done on a computer that measures your baseline cognitive ability and reaction times. Verbal repetition of word sequences and number sequences are used as well at the time of injury and later to determine improvement. When a players post concussion scores are similar to their baseline scores taken before injury, that is when they are normally given a passing grade to return to activity. I haven't seen any on-field portion of concussion testing or protocol, but that could be an NFL thing.

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

Aren't these new and improved helmets supposed to help in these situations and would it have been worse with one of the older model helmets? His head did slam the ground pretty hard after the initial hit.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    My experience with concussion testing is that tests are done on a computer that measures your baseline cognitive ability and reaction times. Verbal repetition of word sequences and number sequences are used as well at the time of injury and later to determine improvement. When a players post concussion scores are similar to their baseline scores taken before injury, that is when they are normally given a passing grade to return to activity. I haven't seen any on-field portion of concussion testing or protocol, but that could be an NFL thing.
    Yep - According to the linked NFL article on the concussion protocol, step 1 in the 5 step protocol is testing that shows the player has returned to his neurological baseline. Step two is light aerobic exercise and step three is aerobic exercise combined with weight training. Step 4, non-contact football activities, is what Rudolph apparently started Wednesday. If the player tolerates that the player is cleared for full contact practice (although my understanding in today’s NFL the QB usually is hands off in practice) and if the player tolerates that the team doc can clear the player for game activity.

https://www.playsmartplaysafe.com/fo...tion-protocol/

For a league that maintains with a straight face it is all about safety first, Rudolph progressed through the protocol levels very quickly for someone who appeared to have sustained a serious brain injury initially.

I would be surprised if Mason was a full participant in practice today and even if he is would be equally surprised if he is in uniform Sunday night

But it’s the NFL - rub some dirt on your brainstem and man up I suppose

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Yep - According to the linked NFL article on the concussion protocol, step 1 in the 5 step protocol is testing that shows the player has returned to his neurological baseline. Step two is light aerobic exercise and step three is aerobic exercise combined with weight training. Step 4, non-contact football activities, is what Rudolph apparently started Wednesday. If the player tolerates that the player is cleared for full contact practice (although my understanding in today’s NFL the QB usually is hands off in practice) the team doc can clear the player for game activity.

For a league that maintains with a straight face it is all about safety first, Rudolph progressed through the protocol levels very quickly for someone who appeared to have sustained a serious brain injury initially.

I would be surprised if Mason was a full participant in practice today and even if he is would be equally surprised if he is in uniform Sunday night

it it’s the NFL - rub some dirt on your brainstem and man up I suppose
    If he's cleared, then I'm confident that he's 100% ready to go. I'd imagine the NFL is going to be ultra careful with this one because of how much publicity it got with this hit. It would be a PR disaster if they clear him and something bad happens to Rudolph.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Yep - According to the linked NFL article on the concussion protocol, step 1 in the 5 step protocol is testing that shows the player has returned to his neurological baseline. Step two is light aerobic exercise and step three is aerobic exercise combined with weight training. Step 4, non-contact football activities, is what Rudolph apparently started Wednesday. If the player tolerates that the player is cleared for full contact practice (although my understanding in today’s NFL the QB usually is hands off in practice) and if the player tolerates that the team doc can clear the player for game activity.

But it’s the NFL - rub some dirt on your brainstem and man up I suppose
    So stage4 testing? Is that what we believe those pics are from?(Post #1)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I don’t know about NFL protocol. I do know high school protocol(locally) is mostly based on physical symptoms only. Parents need to seek their own Drs if they want more specifics than that.