Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Receiver James Washington To Miss “A Few Weeks”

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Receiver James Washington To Miss “A Few Weeks”

ESPN is reporting that a source says
    James Washington is expected to miss a few weeks with a shoulder injury.

Moncriefs chance to step up!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Re: Receiver James Washington To Miss A Few Weeks

Yep time for Stone hands Moncrief to shine. LOL

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Time for Tevin Jones to get called up?

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Remember when we were loaded at the receiver position...

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Remember when we were loaded at the receiver position...
    and talented

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Receiver James Washington To Miss A Few Weeks

Sign AB. Shit cant get any worse...lol.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I would use Tevin Jones.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

He really hasn't done much anyway. He seems to have a good preseason then vanishes

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

You shitting me?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    He really hasn't done much anyway. He seems to have a good preseason then vanishes
    Hasn't had many opportunities. Mason likes the checkdowns and Washington is more of a downfield receiver. He did catch 3 for 52 last game which isn't bad.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

When people check the box score will they even notice that he isnt playing? Itll look the same.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Hasn't had many opportunities. Mason likes the checkdowns and Washington is more of a downfield receiver. He did catch 3 for 52 last game which isn't bad.
    He did get the Interference call down the field that lead to the Johnson TD on the next play a few weeks back. So there is that.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: Receiver James Washington To Miss “A Few Weeks”

Washington caught the pass from Rudolph when Mason got knocked out of the game.

Washington got knocked out of the game when Hodges set him up to get blasted on a short pass.

A rough game all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I agree, I like him but he didn't do much last year with Ben.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...W/WashJa00.htm

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

At some point we have to look at the available evidence and conclude that James Washington is not an effective NFL WR.

Maybe next year?

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    At some point we have to look at the available evidence and conclude that James Washington is not an effective NFL WR.

Maybe next year?
    Not giving up on him yet but think wr is a high priority again next year because of the whole group.

Washington starting to slide over to the Troy Edwards, Charles Johnson, Limas Sweed, Willie Reid, Fred Gibson area...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Wash had 3 catches for 52 yards when he got hurt. That’s being productive in an anemic offense IMO. He has definitely improved over his rookie season. I think he could better use some support for his effort this season than fans just bagging on him because he got injured trying. Not ready to put him in a star player category yet but he has shown improvement. The question is simply, are we better with Wash or without him? My opinion is better with him. 0.02

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Maybe next year?
    Thankfully, there is a handy standard of comparison right next to him ... take JuJu's season last year, now THAT is the definition of how an effective Round 2 draft pick looks in his second year.

Can you expect everybody to have that level of success right away? Nope.

Does Washington look like he is even remotely on the same track, though? Not even close.

Natural talent, big hype to start the season, a couple nice plays here and there, but mostly invisible, and seemingly always dogged by nagging problems ... starting to think I've seen this one before.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Thankfully, there is a handy standard of comparison right next to him ... take JuJu's season last year, now THAT is the definition of how an effective Round 2 draft pick looks in his second year.

Does Washington look like he is even remotely on the same track, though? Not even close.

Natural talent, big hype to start the season, a couple nice plays here and there, but mostly invisible, and seemingly always dogged by nagging problems ... starting to think I've seen this one before.
    An interesting take. And not much I can do to easily push back on it.

I will say that, for me, I'm kinda "out" on Washington for the following reasons:

1. Touted as a deep threat. Can't beat out Holton for that role. That isn't good if you can't climb past a career special teams guy on the depth chart for your "one trick".
    2. I know that they play different WR positions, but D. Johnson passed by Washington in the blink of the eye as he shot up the depth chart.
    3. When I heard that he was hurt, I reacted with a shrug and a "so nothing changes" thought.

The kid just hasn't impacted at all outside of looking good in the preseason. Maybe another year of learning more about running the whole route tree and better quarterback play. And maybe Limas Sweed will make a come back...

An interesting take. And not much I can do to easily push back on it.

I will say that, for me, I'm kinda "out" on Washington for the following reasons:

1. Touted as a deep threat. Can't beat out Holton for that role. That isn't good if you can't climb past a career special teams guy on the depth chart for your "one trick".
    2. I know that they play different WR positions, but D. Johnson passed by Washington in the blink of the eye as he shot up the depth chart.
    3. When I heard that he was hurt, I reacted with a shrug and a "so nothing changes" thought.

The kid just hasn't impacted at all outside of looking good in the preseason. Maybe another year of learning more about running the whole route tree and better quarterback play. And maybe Limas Sweed will make a come back...
    That's the one that really does it for me, as far as the "eye test" is concerned.

One guy seizes the opportunity, pushes his way into the lineup with play that you cannot ignore, and keeps raising his ceiling.

The other guy is patiently given chances to show what he can do, and is still struggling to find his floor. Two players with completely different trajectories, maybe for a reason.

I am not against giving Washington more chances to prove himself this season - I mean, our situation is so fubar that finding out those kinds of things is probably more important than maximizing every chance of winning every last game. On the other hand, though, is it more exciting to see what Washington can do with extra opportunities, or what Johnson or Holton can do? Or even whether Moncrief really just had a couple bad games. Basically, what anybody other than Switzer has to offer. By that standard, he does not look to have a bright future.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

anyone know if Moncrief is getting out of the doghouse

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

JuJu isn't doing much either. The quarterbacks haven't been throwing the ball down the field. Rudolph in particular threw almost exclusively to backs and within a few yards of the line of scrimmage. We're not going to be able to judge Washington's progress until there is a quarterback playing for this team that will consistently push the ball down the field and not be looking to check down on every play. He didn't get his chance with Hodges because one of his first short passes to Washington put him on the injured list.

Nobody wants to hear it, but this is going to require more time to find out what Washington can do.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

I am not against giving Washington more chances to prove himself this season - I mean, our situation is so fubar that finding out those kinds of things is probably more important than maximizing every chance of winning every last game. On the other hand, though, is it more exciting to see what Washington can do with extra opportunities, or what Johnson or Holton can do? Or even whether Moncrief really just had a couple bad games. Basically, what anybody other than Switzer has to offer. By that standard, he does not look to have a bright future.
    This season will be Washington's last real chance to prove he belongs on an NFL roster. If he can't get it going with his old college QB under center, it's not going to happen next year with Ben back under center. He has about 10 games to show he's not Limas Sweed 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    JuJu isn't doing much either. The quarterbacks haven't been throwing the ball down the field. Rudolph in particular threw almost exclusively to backs and within a few yards of the line of scrimmage. We're not going to be able to judge Washington's progress until there is a quarterback playing for this team that will consistently push the ball down the field and not be looking to check down on every play. He didn't get his chance with Hodges because one of his first short passes to Washington put him on the injured list.

Nobody wants to hear it, but this is going to require more time to find out what Washington can do.
    That needs to be considered as well. The QB play has been really bad. There is a cool breakdown on Behind the Steel Curtain today with two plays where Washington got loose, and Rudolph took far too long to deliver the ball.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    anyone know if Moncrief is getting out of the doghouse

At this point, he has to. Out of the dog house, but on a short leash.

With Washington looking like a 2nd round bust, and Moncrief teetering on being an expensive free agent bust rookie Johnson must step up.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Wildcat Shenanigans aside, The Steelers are trying to run a budget Patriots Offense. With a Budget Brady (Rudolph) under center.

Word to to wise and those who do not know what the Pats do: James Washington (or anyone for that matter), will not stand out on the stat sheet whatsoever in this offense. This is the difficult reality that some may have to face and comprehend.

The Offense May look ugly on the stat line and rankings, but for as much as be complain about Fichtner being Ben’s valet, the Offense’s so-called “ineptitude” is not the reason why the team is 2-4. Fun Fact: Since That 3-point debacle in New England, The Steelers have scored 20+ in five straight games. I think that is pretty substantial with an improving Defense playing better.

If you want this team to finish 6-10, by all means air it out like we have Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant to throw to, and see where that leads.

Josh Gordon anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Wildcat Shenanigans aside, The Steelers are trying to run a budget Patriots Offense. With a Budget Brady (Rudolph) under center.

Word to to wise and those who do not know what the Pats do: James Washington (or anyone for that matter), will not stand out on the stat sheet whatsoever in this offense. This is the difficult reality that some may have to face and comprehend.

The Offense May look ugly on the stat line and rankings, but for as much as be complain about Fichtner being Ben’s valet, the Offense’s so-called “ineptitude” is not the reason why the team is 2-4. Fun Fact: Since That 3-point debacle in New England, The Steelers have scored 20+ in five straight games. I think that is pretty substantial with an improving Defense playing better.

If you want this team to finish 6-10, by all means air it out like we have Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant to throw to, and see where that leads.
    Stop It! This post makes to much sense!