Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Mike Tomlin On Washington’s Short List To Be Next Head Coach

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Report: Mike Tomlin On Washington’s Short List To Be Next Head Coach

Jay Gruden was the first NFL head coach to be fired, canned by Washington Monday morning after a hapless 0-5 start. One name owner Dan Snyder would like to replace him with? Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin.

That’s the report from Ed Werder, who included Tomlin on a
    short list with two other coordinators as men Snyder would consider hiring

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/10/re...xt-head-coach/

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Report: Mike Tomlin On Washington’s Short List To Be Next Head Coach

Yes please

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

That's tampering. I demand Washington give us their first round pick next year as a penalty!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

i don't see it happening. steelers don't make coaching changes in the midseason

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    i don't see it happening. steelers don't make coaching changes in the midseason
    If it happens it'll be at the end of the season.
    I doubt Tomlin goes anywhere he has a built in excuse with Ben being out.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    If it happens it'll be at the end of the season.
    I doubt Tomlin goes anywhere he has a built in excuse with Ben being out.
    Such is life in the NFL...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I don't think Tomlin would want to work for Dan Snyder...but who knows.

What would ownership do if Snyder calls and offers their 2020 and 2021 first round draft picks for Tomlin?

I don't think they would do that, but wouldn't they have to seriously think about it if they have no plans to give him a new contract. He has one year left, so he isn't available to the Redskins without permission and compensation.

I'm sure the Steelers have a list of possible candidates for the head coaching position already in place.

Member Array title="Blue Marvel is an unknown quantity at this point">

I like Coach T...not a great X and O guy...but he is a leader....but i think it's time for new blood..a coach the recognizes coaching talent, and is innovative.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Washington can take him.

Tomlin had his moments, but it is time for a fresh start. He is the new Marvin Lewis. Good enough to keep you competitive, but not quite good enough to get you over the top.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Sounds fine to me.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

And they'll make Fichtner head coach if he does leave.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    And they'll make Fichtner head coach if he does leave.
    please someone shoot me if this ever happens (not that it will)

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Wouldn't break my heart if Tomlin leaves.

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

It won't happen but one can dream

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I didn't see this topic posted below in the nfl section, please move it on out of here. Thanks

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I hope Fichtner and Butler are also on Snyder's list.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Milk Danny Boy for Picks Mr. Colbert. Tomlin still has a super bowl run gin his back pocket that we won very early with Bill Cowherd's players. I think 21 or 22 of Bill Cohwer starters remained when it happened.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Shoes, what were you thinking?

- - - Updated - - -

Can’t we just have a “FIRE EVERYONE” thread so posters can use the same tired “fire so and so” lines in one place.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Get a 1st round pick and possibly more out of it.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

This would be my birthday and Christmas presents for the next 10 years

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Obligatory posting about the devil you know versus the devil you don’t and to be highly careful about what you wish for.

For every Tony Dungy that comes in and puts a franchise over the top there are 6 Dan Quins that seem like a helluva idea at the time.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

To be clear, Fichtner and Butle, I'll help load the moving truck. Tomlin, still not sure.

If it takes Tomlin moving on to get free of the coordinators, sure?

My preference. Split the difference and get new coordinators with the same head coach.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    My preference. Split the difference and get new coordinators with the same head coach.
    Totally on board with this. Coordinators from the outside...coordinators that have never worn black and yellow...unless it happened to be Iowa Colors...

Tomlin gets two more years with two good coordinators. If Ben doesn’t like it...well...I’d be said to say it but he can follow, Fichtner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

With a decent DC, this defense could be the best in the league right now. With a great DC, this defense could be the best we’ve seen in the league for a few seasons. (The talent-level on defense is about to explode... if the DC had any smarts.)

Fichtner has no clue what he’s doing. Period.

As far as Tomlin goes, I love him, and the players never quit on him. That said, his message may have gotten stale (it happens to every coach). But, this season is just different enough where he might have changed his mantra, changed his demeanor... resulting in a rekindled spirit.

SUMMATION:
    I’d keep Tomlin, but I would absolutely hire two new coordinators.

SIDE-NOTE:
    This would never happen, but... If the Rooneys were indeed planning on firing Tomlin after this season, then why not trade Tomlin to Washington for a couple of R1 picks? Colbert is the master of trading lame duck personnel to inept teams.

(Tomlin isn’t on the chopping block, and even if he were, that is not how the Rooneys do business.)

Senior Member Array title="PalmerSteel is on a distinguished road"> PalmerSteel's Avatar

If the raiders can get 2 first rounds and a 2nd round from tampa bay when gruden was traded and he didnt even have a super bowl win yet, then we should expect nothing less than 2 first round picks. If we get offered that, we should consider it......
    "I think they can count on me. And I want them to be able to count on me."
    ~ Big Ben Roethlisberger, 2005

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Totally on board with this. Coordinators from the outside...coordinators that have never worn black and yellow...unless it happened to be Iowa Colors...

Tomlin gets two more years with two good coordinators. If Ben doesn’t like it...well...I’d be said to say it but he can follow, Fichtner.
    I think Dan Quinn will be available later in the year as a DC. He likes to run a 4-3, so would be a transition in finding some DE's that fit the 4-3.

I really don't think Tomlin is going anywhere.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think Dan Quinn will be available later in the year as a DC. He likes to run a 4-3, so would be a transition in finding some DE's that fit the 4-3.

Agreed - not just Tomlin but the coordinators. Defense is still giving up significant points and cannot get 4th quarter stops but increased turnovers along with a good pash rush presumably are enough to save Butler, especially given the assumption Tomlin is hands on with the defense. Fichtner is horrible but will get a pass because of the Ben and now Rudolph injuries. Only one who might go is Danny Smith given Tomlin’s expressed irritation with kickoff returns.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Agreed - not just Tomlin but the coordinators. Defense is still giving up significant points and cannot get 4th quarter stops but increased turnovers along with a good pash rush presumably are enough to save Butler, especially given the assumption Tomlin is hands on with the defense. Fichtner is horrible but will get a pass because of the Ben and now Rudolph injuries. Only one who might go is Danny Smith given Tomlin’s expressed irritation with kickoff returns.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah and if Ben decides he is definitely coming back, I think he would lobby to keep his caddy around for his tenure, instead of looking for an experienced OC that doesn't run a college wildcat offense in the first sign of adversity.

If the Defense continues to give up points, there is a chance that Rooney tells Mike to use the BA "retirement plan" on Butler. But I think if sacks and turnovers created continue to be solid, there will be another pass given. This defense has such talent on it currently, it should be top 10, but its not feeling that way so far.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar