Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Report: Mike Tomlin On Washington’s Short List To Be Next Head Coach

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Report: Mike Tomlin On Washington’s Short List To Be Next Head Coach

Look I'm not the biggest Tomlin fan, but a move mid-season I wouldn't even consider unless Washington wants to do a Ditka-Ricky Williams or Herschel Walker trade.

Now if they want Fitchner, by all means.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

"Hall of Fame quarterback with a third-string quarterback." What happened to the bold talk of next man up, sounds like an excuse if they lose to the chargers.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    "Hall of Fame quarterback with a third-string quarterback." What happened to the bold talk of next man up, sounds like an excuse if they lose to the chargers.
    Tomlin better not go there.

Be careful. Explaining excuses are tools of the incompetent.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Look I'm not the biggest Tomlin fan, but a move mid-season I wouldn't even consider unless Washington wants to do a Ditka-Ricky Williams or Herschel Walker trade.

Now if they want Fitchner, by all means.
    Don't think you'd ever see an in-season move. Washington will finish out their disaster of a season with some interim coach, and then let the speculations begin. Don't forget that some of the minority ownership of the Steelers wanted Tomlin gone last offseason. ARII surely has that weighing on his mind.

If he was smart (which I'm not convinced he is), he'd let Tomlin know that his job is on the hot seat and that he may not see the end of his contract. Tomlin would much rather move to a chaotic Redskins franchise than be out of a job altogether. Maybe that'd be enough to make him seriously consider the job, and the Steelers could net some serious draft capital in return.

I'd be willing to concede a lost season as a mechanism to flipping the coaching staff, getting some fresh talent and coaching onto the team and moving on from another 'good-but-not-great' Steeler season.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Isn't Tomlin's son playing college ball at Maryland?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    Isn't Tomlin's son playing college ball at Maryland?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Yes,Dino Tomlin. He's the one Terrapin w/cool shades

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    That and not so sure Rivers is a HOF QB. He couldn't even make it to one SB his whole career even when he had LT. You are right though and Tomlin is smart to talk Rivers up so if we lose then no blame for the loss. If we win then he looks like a good coach cause he beat a HOF with a 3rd string QB, Win Win for Tomlin either way.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

ok well ....

I am not the biggest Mike Tomlin fan ( well documented ) ..

that said the last time I remember a coach being traded for draft stock it was the Raider sending Chucky to Tampa for a first rounder ... The raider where atop of the game at the time and did well again the next year making it to the SB to get trounced by Chucky and the Bucs and have never been worth a shit since ....

so if History is any indicator of future results it might not be a good idea ....

but Tomlin gone and premium draft stock incoming sounds pretty tempting
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="PalmerSteel is on a distinguished road"> PalmerSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    ok well ....

I am not the biggest Mike Tomlin fan ( well documented ) ..

that said the last time I remember a coach being traded for draft stock it was the Raider sending Chucky to Tampa for a first rounder ... The raider where atop of the game at the time and did well again the next year making it to the SB to get trounced by Chucky and the Bucs and have never been worth a shit since ....

so if History is any indicator of future results it might not be a good idea ....

but Tomlin gone and premium draft stock incoming sounds pretty tempting
    Bucs gave up 2 firsts and a 2nd for chucky
    "I think they can count on me. And I want them to be able to count on me."
    ~ Big Ben Roethlisberger, 2005

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

I saw the video of the media asking Tomlin this question. I think he' wants to listen to the offer, and he did not deny anything. He just said I'm trying to focus as a 1-4 coach.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw the video of the media asking Tomlin this question. I think he' wants to listen to the offer, and he did not deny anything. He just said I'm trying to focus as a 1-4 coach.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

We are all talking from our point of view on this ... but why in the world would Tomlin EVER agree to coach for Dan Snyder. That organization is a fucking nightmare where coaches go to die.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    We are all talking from our point of view on this ... but why in the world would Tomlin EVER agree to coach for Dan Snyder. That organization is a fucking nightmare where coaches go to die.
    Money
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

He's making money here. Money isn't everything when your life is miserable.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

He's making money here. Money isn't everything when your life is miserable.
    If he has full control he can get the skins back to half way respectability, collect his money and retire in a few years: less pressure in Washington than Pittsburgh. You have to win Super Bowls in Pittsburgh

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PalmerSteel View Post
    Bucs gave up 2 firsts and a 2nd for chucky
    ... and 8 million $

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

How is this not ‘Tampering’?

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Only if he knows that he has tenuous grasp on his current job. Rooney can make it clear in no uncertain terms that Washington would be a better option for him if he actually gets serious about starting the next era in Pittsburgh.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

If Tomlin takes the Redskins job in 2020, he will be looking for a new job by 2023. Tomlin is not a head coach you rebuild a franchise with

Pictures of a Redskins (danny boy) plane at Pittsburgh airport yesterday on reddit and twitter.

Let the rumors swirl.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

It isn’t just a HC, it is GM and HC, so total control. It is a promotion and probably more $$ if it is even true. That is why Tomlin would look at it

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    It isn’t just a HC, it is GM and HC, so total control. It is a promotion and probably more $$ if it is even true. That is why Tomlin would look at it
    They would have to make Tomlin the complete emperor of the franchise to gain his interest. Washington has to be the absolute worst franchise in the NFL now. No sane coach would even consider the gig unless a) he was already or about to be out of a job or b) given complete control of football operations.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Redskins need to offer Jim Harbaugh.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Dan Snyder expected to make strong push to acquire Mike Tomlin from Steelers

Redskins owner Dan Snyder, with his team winless and his fanbase torn between anger and apathy, views Steelers coach Mike Tomlin as best candidate to help revive the franchise, according to numerous sources close to the situation, and is poised to try to acquire his services this offseason.

Snyder, who has long been a fan of Tomlin, has gotten to know the Super Bowl-winning coach more personally over the years, at league meetings and through several mutual friends and peers, and would be willing to give Tomlin a top-of-the-market salary and full authority over the organization, the sources said. He views Tomlin as the kind of coach, leader and face-of-the-franchise Washington sorely lacks -- the perfect point person with the media and sponsors and to help efforts to get a stadium built in downtown Washington, DC.

Read more: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/d...from-steelers/

Junior Member Array title="lt194camaroz is an unknown quantity at this point">

Just saw a fresh new article on 24/7 sports stating that Snyder has made Tomlin his #1 candidate. This is good news if you ask me because Snyder typically overpays in almost everything he does so we might be able to get some good picks if we are willing to deal. Also there are a lot of fans that loathe tomlin and have wanted him gone for years so they might get their wish and get something in return which will make this a multiple win scenario. I'm not really for or against tomlin, I think he's a decent coach but makes some bonehead decisions at times and also he seems to hang on to assistant coaches a little too long, I feel like he could be great with strong coordinators and you don't see anyone knocking down our doors to try and hire any of our coordinators. I honestly feel like his tenure has gotten stale and it could be a good situation for both tomlin and the Steelers to go their seperate ways. Even better if we can get compensated for him

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’d keep Tomlin...unless the price was just too good...like a couple first round picks...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’d keep Tomlin...unless the price was just too good...like a couple first round picks...
    So in other words....he's that good.
    #can'thaveitbothways

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    we lack a 1st and a 3rd in the 2020 draft ..... give me that 1st and a 3rd back ( from a team who will be drafting top 5 )

that is almost like a 1st and a 2nd ...

could trade down in the first 10 picks and come away with a mid round 1st and 2nd and early 3rd ... that's a hell of a haul for a coach that currently is 3-8 in his last 11 games coached
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    If Tomlin takes the Redskins job in 2020, he will be looking for a new job by 2023.
    You could say the exact same thing about Belichick.

The real problem with the Redskins is Snyder.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The Redskins will be picking in the top 5. Ask for their top 5 pick and insist it be part of the deal. Also throw in Fichtner or Butler to sweeten the deal

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Redskins need to offer Jim Harbaugh.
    Hard pass, unless you want to start from scratch again with a 2-14 team about 4 years down the line.