Thread: Steelers HC Mike Tomlin On Short List For Redskins Job

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers HC Mike Tomlin On Short List For Redskins Job

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Steelers HC Mike Tomlin On Short List For Redskins Job

Can we get their first round pick for him?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

They could hire Belichick and it would make no difference. Snyder is the real problem with the Redskins and has been since he's been there.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I've always contended that if Tomlin were to be fired at the end of a season in a typically batch of firings; he would be unemployed for less than a week.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Wow this rumor is running wild.

Living in this area, Tomlin would be a natural choice for Danny Boy

Tomlin is a Peninsula (Hampton then Williamsburg/William and Mary) guy. He's known and praised locally (except for most Steeler fans ).

He's 3 hours away from DC. His son, Dino, plays for U of Maryland.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

So......................... more importantly, WHO would the Steelers hire???

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    So......................... more importantly, WHO would the Steelers hire???
    They wouldn't do this kind of hire, but I would back up the money truck to lure Lincoln Riley away from the college ranks. The NFL is blatantly ripping off his stuff on offense across the league. So why get some watered-down version? Go get the straight uncut source?

Then I pair him with a defensive coordinator. Either someone from the college ranks (I'm on record saying I would take a long look at Leonard from UW. Runs a 3-4 style defense and seems to get great results out of a lower level of recruit) that has experience stopping this spread them out stuff or even simply retain Austin.

On offense, move Fichtner back to QBs coach. If he won't do it, see if Chaz Batch is interested. That would give Ben R an "ally" on the offensive staff as they transition to a new style of offense. Next I would rebuild the WR room. Switzer, Moncrief, and anyone not named Juju, DJ, or Washington are gone. Washington is retained simply because he is going to know this style of offense. I get another WR coach that also has experience in Riley's offensive style to supplement the offensive staff, since Riley will have additional head coaching duties. I pluck a RBs coach from somewhere with the same thought process.

Assuming the team has "traded" Tomlin and not simply fired him, that means they have an extra draft pick or two. In the draft I target athletic WRs, a DT to replace the departed Hargrave, restock the OL, another CB prospect (Haden is great but Father Time is coming), and a back-up safety, and another OLB since Alphabet Soup will be starting and Dupree and Chickillo are gone in this scenario.

Then I let Ben R helm this thing and see if it can all come together by around midseason. make a run in 2020 and 2021 and then if the cap or age starts taking guys out, I am positioned with in-house replacements to transition the team to a spread style offense helmed by Rudolph or Hodges.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I'll take a 3rd Rd. pick and a box of Washington Monument paperweights for Tomlin. Ship him out.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    They wouldn't do this kind of hire, but I would back up the money truck to lure Lincoln Riley away from the college ranks. The NFL is blatantly ripping off his stuff on offense across the league. So why get some watered-down version? Go get the straight uncut source?
    Riley would be my choice as well. Get him before Jerry does.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

probably less than a 1% chance of happening. Dude has an alibi now that we're on our 3rd string QB

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Only way this rumor makes sense to me is if Tomlin's agent is trying to prod AJRII to extend Tomlin's deal.

As long as Washington is owned by Snyder, with Bruce Allen as GM, taking the HC job there is a sane career move only if you are a NFL coordinator or hotshot college coach who cannot get one of the other 31 HC jobs this offseason and want to step up to HC now. That is not Tomlin's situation.

A summary of the toxicity here

Unless Snyder is prepared to do some serious soul-searching, unless he is prepared to break the vicious cycle of catastrophe that he created, this latest firing will lead to nothing other than wasting more money on a new coach who cannot possibly succeed....

In fact, the new coach already has failed. That’s because the Redskins are failing him with their current power structure. As long as Snyder continues to employ Bruce Allen as the team president, the new coach will have a boss who has turned the Peter Principle into a depressing kind of performance art.

You know Gruden was done when Allen started to distance himself from the coach. Then you started to hear character assassinations seep into the media, such as the recent suggestion from multiple outlets that Gruden was ineffective because he’s lazy. The strategy to kick ’em on the way out has long been an evil part of the way Snyder has run the franchise.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...d44_story.html

Interesting how old video of Gruden chatting up a young woman not his wife and appearing to smoke something resurfaced in the days before he was fired.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    probably less than a 1% chance of happening. Dude has an alibi now that we're on our 3rd string QB
    “Alibi”? Really? You are whacked.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Tomlin is way to smart to go work for Snyder. I live in Skins country, and from July to January I get an earful about Snyder. Get rid of him. Great businessman, horrible owner.