Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you start Hodges next week as Coach?

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Would you start Hodges next week as Coach?

It's early and information regarding the extent of Mason's head injury is scarce but I would think a hit like that would take a few days at least before your head quit ringing, then another few days to a week to feel like myself. Let alone take any practice snaps, or be ready to study tape and be in starting shape for next week. Even if he says he's ready and makes an ok showing at practice you'd have to think that he would need more time. Would you chance starting Mason, see what Hodges can do, or see how Big Ben throws left handed?
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Would you start Hodges next week as Coach?

Hodges has to be QB1 headed into this week's practice. Until a statement comes out on Rudolph indicating otherwise this is Hodges' team for now. So yes Hodges starts.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Plus who knows if the NFl even clears Rudy to play after taking a hit like that.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    It's early and information regarding the extent of Mason's head injury is scarce but I would think a hit like that would take a few days at least before your head quit ringing, then another few days to a week to feel like myself. Let alone take any practice snaps, or be ready to study tape and be in starting shape for next week. Even if he says he's ready and makes an ok showing at practice you'd have to think that he would need more time. Would you chance starting Mason, see what Hodges can do, or see how Big Ben throws left handed?
    Way back in the day during the 2006 cluster of a season Ben got knocked out of the Falcons game and even at that time with the NFL being more tolerant of playing after being concussed there was debate if Ben should play the next week in Oakland - Cowher started him and Ben was awful with 4 picks

There are more benchmarks to measure recovery from a concussion now and the NFL is more PR aware of purporting to be concerned about player safety

Hodges will start next Sunday night - even if Rudolph successfully completes the protocol I cannot see the Steelers risking him with another week to recover during the bye, both for his future and the season being toast

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I'd be really surprised if Mason plays next week, but you never know. I think Tomlin will let the Doc decide if Mason is ready to go. I'd have no problem starting Hodges, might as well get these guys as much experience as possible since we are 1-4.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Yes, Mason probably needs 2-4 weeks.

question is who will be Hodges backup Sunday night? Is lynch ready or capable? Do the Steelers look into kaepernick? Probably not....

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post

question is who will be Hodges backup Sunday night? Is lynch ready or capable? Do the Steelers look into kaepernick? Probably not....
    I'd rather see if Michael Vick could play another game than go with Kaepernick. This team doesn't need that circus coming to town right now. And, perhaps that's unfair to Kaepernick, but that's too bad. The media would turn it into a complete circus.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Way back in the day during the 2006 cluster of a season Ben got knocked out of the Falcons game and even at that time with the NFL being more tolerant of playing after being concussed there was debate if Ben should play the next week in Oakland - Cowher started him and Ben was awful with 4 picks

There are more benchmarks to measure recovery from a concussion now and the NFL is more PR aware of purporting to be concerned about player safety

Hodges will start next Sunday night - even if Rudolph successfully completes the protocol I cannot see the Steelers risking him with another week to recover during the bye, both for his future and the season being toast
    I remember that dilemma and that Raider game. Ben should have sat. And that was the season of the motorcycle accident and he had the appendix surgery.

I doubt Mason will pass concussion protocol after that hit.

Go with Bubby 2.0 and just get all your "ducks" in a row.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

https://youtu.be/JoX-HkOcEuE

Mason isn't gonna be back until after the bye week most likely

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Has to be Lynch.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

You've got to start Hodges. He at least looked like he would give you a chance, and emergency QBs signed in midseason don't tend to do very well because they just haven't had much time to practice with the first team.

I mean, if Rudolph is somehow ok - like ACTUALLY ok, not being ill-advisedly rushed back - then obviously he is the #1 option. But that seems very unlikely to happen.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I heard Bubby Duck has an Android watch.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I'd rather see if Michael Vick could play another game than go with Kaepernick. This team doesn't need that circus coming to town right now. And, perhaps that's unfair to Kaepernick, but that's too bad. The media would turn it into a complete circus.
    I agree with you here.. it's not a personal vendetta against Kaep but he made the bed he's lying in. I believe he could have got his message out without being a huge distraction to the team but I don't think he handled the situation very well unfortunately.
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    agreed, he’s getting shafted by the media whether he realizes it or not. And teams like the Steelers, who could use his services are getting shafted too, cause the guy can probably still play

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

agreed, he’s getting shafted by the media whether he realizes it or not. And teams like the Steelers, who could use his services are getting shafted too, cause the guy can probably still play
    ....and do you think AV would protect him, yep he probably would.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

We could not use him, and in fact very few teams could. A big problem with him is that you need a completely different offense for him to succeed, and very few teams run anything close to it. You put Kaepernick in what has become the standard offense today, and he sucks. He was good with the 49ers as long as they ran their read-option hybrid scheme, but once they tried to change the offense and make him be more of a drop-back passer, he was garbage. Off the top of my head, maybe Seattle and Baltimore have anything even remotely close to that, that could be adjusted mid-season.

Put him in the Steelers scheme, and he'd look like Mike Vick with nothing but bad throws, busted plays, and 40 yards a half.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Exactly what GT said. Unless and until we hear that Rudolph is good to go, Duck is the starter.

Having said that... if Rudolph is cleared to play, he plays. #1 He's the presumptive franchise moving forward and needs the reps. #2 He needs to get back on the horse ASAP after getting thrown.

On the subject of Kaepernick... Just no.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

You are all familiar with the expression of “adding insult to injury.” In Sunday’s matchup between the Steelers and Ravens, it almost felt like adding injury to insult. In the midst of a frustrating loss during a heated division battle, Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph, who has taken over as the starter for an injured Ben Roethlisberger for the rest of the season, collapsed after a helmet to helmet hit by Ravens safety Earl Thomas. The officials belatedly threw a flag for roughing the passer long after Rudolph hit the turf.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/10/the-doctor-is-in-when-will-mason-rudolph-return/

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I don’t think there’ll be any other option.

I have to agree. No way RM will be ready for next week and even if he thinks he is, it's not worth the risk. Let's see how Hodgie does.

Plot twist: Hodges kills it. Does he get bumped to 2nd? =X
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    I have to agree. No way RM will be ready for next week and even if he thinks he is, it's not worth the risk. Let's see how Hodgie does.

Plot twist: Hodges kills it. Does he get bumped to 2nd? =X
    Stranger things have happened. And it would be the bye week...

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I think Hodges starts, if they somehow pull off the W (the Broncos just beat the Chargers with Def, so it is possible) then we get MR back after the bye and Hodges gets to get in some good experience (and turns into trade for a draft pick bait possibly) and we have the slimmest of possibilities of staying in the playoff picture.

You know, there's another issue that may come up here. Hodges comes out next week and lights it up. He does it again the following game. Do you go back to Mason R.? Or, do you stay with the hot hand? At that point, they have the same game-time experience.

May there be a possible QB controversy in the future if Hodges has a couple of good games before Mason is ready to come back?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Rudolph is able to go? No. Rudolph starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Lynch is athletic and has cannon for an arm. I just watched some highlights.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Heck yes. I think Hodges is better.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

No

Rudolph might pass concussion protocols, but I give Rudolph a week off, plus the bye week. Otherwise, if he gets hit again too soon, he might start throwing furniture out of windows.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    No

Rudolph might pass concussion protocols, but I give Rudolph a week off, plus the bye week. Otherwise, if he gets hit again too soon, he might start throwing furniture out of windows.
    Agreed. Concussion is like a bruise on the brain. Another injury to an already compromised area isn't good. That being said, we don't know the extent of his injury, such as headaches, light sensitivity, lethargy, etc. I still think you keep him out and go with Duck this week, no matter what.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Agreed. Concussion is like a bruise on the brain. Another injury to an already compromised area isn't good. That being said, we don't know the extent of his injury, such as headaches, light sensitivity, lethargy, etc. I still think you keep him out and go with Duck this week, no matter what.
    As posted previously, Rudolph appeared to have the fencing reaction after the Thomas hit when knocked out cold, after which his helmet hit the ground in a dead drop to the turf

One person who worked on the concussion case mentioned that it looked as if Rudolph was in the fencing posture, which is a sign that a blow has affected the brainstem.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/07/aa...nts-nfl-week-5

When AB was knocked out by Burfict I recall that in addition to missing the Denver playoff game AB would not have been cleared to play the following week if the Steelers had beat Denver and proceeded to the AFC championship game. Cannot imagine Rudolph would be cleared for practice this week or for Sunday night in the event Tomlin would be willing to throw him in next Sunday night with lminimal practice reps

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    As posted previously, Rudolph appeared to have the fencing reaction after the Thomas hit when knocked out cold, after which his helmet hit the ground in a dead drop to the turf

One person who worked on the concussion case mentioned that it looked as if Rudolph was in the fencing posture, which is a sign that a blow has affected the brainstem.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/07/aa...nts-nfl-week-5

When AB was knocked out by Burfict I recall that in addition to missing the Denver playoff game AB would not have been cleared to play the following week if the Steelers had beat Denver and proceeded to the AFC championship game. Cannot imagine Rudolph would be cleared for practice this week or for Sunday night in the event Tomlin would be willing to throw him in next Sunday night with lminimal practice reps
    Yeah, I think Rudolph is the emergency backup at best. There is no way he is going to be taking part in all the practices and game preparations, and frankly is probably going to be on his ass for most of the week. Even if he is cleared medically (a long shot as well), he is not going to be ready for the game.
    See you Space Cowboy ...