Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: 2-4

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: 1-4

What we are is an ok football team that can be exciting and probably has a puncher's chance at winning almost every game, but over the long run is too up-and-down to be a consistent winner, and luck is going to factor heavily in a lot of games. Still entertaining to watch, but really the kind of team that caps out at "would be lucky to win a wild-card game," even if more breaks were going our way.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    I’ve always agreed with Parcells.
    You are what your record says you are.
    Agree! Nobody asks how you win....they ask how many you win. Right now the answer is 1.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    What we are is an ok football team that can be exciting and probably has a puncher's chance at winning almost every game, but over the long run is too up-and-down to be a consistent winner, and luck is going to factor heavily in a lot of games. Still entertaining to watch, but really the kind of team that caps out at "would be lucky to win a wild-card game," even if more breaks were going our way.
    You know, at least for this year, I think that's a good assessment of this team. And, in all honesty, I think I'm okay with that for one year. I mean, how can we expect much more than that when we lose two players who were having Hall of Fame careers while they were with us, in back-to-back years (well, the same year, but Bell didn't play the previous year) and also on our 3rd string QB.

But, this defense is really beginning to feel like it's just missing one or two pieces to be a defense worthy of the Steelers name. Honestly, I think I'm more excited about the games coming up because I want to see how our defense progresses (and our QBs) than if we actually win or lose at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Agree! Nobody asks how you win....they ask how many you win. Right now the answer is 1.
    Huh. I remember about a decade ago there was a ton of ranting and raving because the Steelers were winning games ugly. We ended up winning the SB that year but very few were happy (not saying it was you. In fact, I can't even remember if you were with us back then at SF . . . probably were. My memory's just getting old).

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Nearly ten yards a completion, yet Conner rarely touched the ball, the Steelers didn't score a touchdown for the rest of the game after the 3rd.

So glad they got that yardage per pass attempt thing up. It really helped them out today. We got what we asked for. A Wide Open passing game and lots of deep shots. Don't be surprised if the Offense makes the Chargers Defense look like the 85 Bears next week.
    You do realize that our third string QB in the game at that point. We took the Rats to OT with our backup QB and our 3rd string QB today. If not for a stupid fumbler at the end we probably win, with our 3rd string QB

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

Huh. I remember about a decade ago there was a ton of ranting and raving because the Steelers were winning games ugly. We ended up winning the SB that year but very few were happy (not saying it was you. In fact, I can't even remember if you were with us back then at SF . . . probably were. My memory's just getting old).
    Yeah, what was the saying?.....Style points don't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yeah, what was the saying?.....Style points don't matter.
    Yep. Kind of ironic that we won the SB because Ben put the team on his back and drove down for the win after the defense allowed another late game TD. In fact, I think it was that season where we started seeing the trend of late game TDs by the opposing teams.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

All this season is doing is buying Fichtner, Butler, Smith a free pass to another season...which sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    I love how we're on our 4th QB and people still want to blame coaching. Good grief.
    We were on our first quarterback and woefully unprepared for the Patriots Week 1. That could be a reason why people don’t care for the coaching staff. Just a hunch.

Yep. Kind of ironic that we won the SB because Ben put the team on his back and drove down for the win after the defense allowed another late game TD. In fact, I think it was that season where we started seeing the trend of late game TDs by the opposing teams.
    What was ironic about that? Was it because that winning TD pass was the only TD pass he threw in that Super Bowl and he wasn't expected to throw one?

I remember Troy and Ike mixing up a coverage that allowed HOF connection of Warner to Fitzgerald to get a quick TD. It wasn't some kind of late game implosion of letting Willie Snead or Tim Tebow beat the Steelers. I also think that defense scored a TD and sealed the game with a sack-fumble, so I don't really recall the defense being a liability in that Super Bowl victory.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

No matter what the record is, still want to see the team compete and play hard, try to get as many wins as possible. I’m happy about the defense as well.

That being said, can’t help but wonder how this team would be right now with AB, Bell, and even Ben. Probably 4-1...at least

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

You know, at least for this year, I think that's a good assessment of this team. And, in all honesty, I think I'm okay with that for one year. I mean, how can we expect much more than that when we lose two players who were having Hall of Fame careers while they were with us, in back-to-back years (well, the same year, but Bell didn't play the previous year) and also on our 3rd string QB.

But, this defense is really beginning to feel like it's just missing one or two pieces to be a defense worthy of the Steelers name. Honestly, I think I'm more excited about the games coming up because I want to see how our defense progresses (and our QBs) than if we actually win or lose at this point.
    I don't know if I'd go quite that far with the defense, but it is encouraging to see the unit improving. They are about two players and a coach away from being top-shelf if you ask me.

Probably the main thing keeping me interested in the season is seeing who is turning into a good player and how the team is shaping up for the future ... lot of that going on and it is exciting in a different kind of way.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The Steelers are 1-4. In other news, Leveon Bell is averaging 2.9 YPC and Antonio Brown is out of the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

12-4

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The Steelers are 1-4. In other news, Leveon Bell is averaging 2.9 YPC and Antonio Brown is out of the NFL.

no winners out of this mess.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    no winners out of this mess.
    We did get a 3rd and 5th for basically nothing, so there's that

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The loss to the Ravens puts us in a tougher spot than being 1-4. It basically puts us 3 games back for the division. That part hurts. Let's just say for the sake of discussion here that the Steelers do actually go on a win streak the rest of the way. How does a wildcard spot measure up? Pats, Chiefs, Ravens, Texans(Div winners for this discussion) Current wildcard teams = Bills(4-1), Raiders(3-2), and Colts(3-2). None of these teams are absolute unbeatable juggernauts. Our defense IS playing well. I'm saying there is a chance.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The loss to the Ravens puts us in a tougher spot than being 1-4. It basically puts us 3 games back for the division. That part hurts. Let's just say for the sake of discussion here that the Steelers do actually go on a win streak the rest of the way. How does a wildcard spot measure up? Pats, Chiefs, Ravens, Texans(Div winners for this discussion) Current wildcard teams = Bills(4-1), Raiders(3-2), and Colts(3-2). None of these teams are absolute unbeatable juggernauts. Our defense IS playing well. I'm saying there is a chance.
    There is still a chance to win the division and CLE is getting there butt kick tonight. If teams start figuring out how to D Lamar the Ravens could lose a few in a row

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

5 games into the season and we are already looking for other teams to bail us out.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    5 games into the season and we already looking for other teams to bail us out.
    Tomlin says (It is what it is) and (No moral victories)

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If the Steelers win out, they’d need the Ravens to lose one game.

12-4 vs. 12-4... we’d hold the tie-breaker in the division.

SUMMATION:
    I’m all in.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If the Steelers win out, they’d need the Ravens to lose one game.

12-4 vs. 12-4... we’d hold the tie-breaker in the division.

SUMMATION:
    I’m all in.
    After re-reading I didn’t mean a win out win streak. I only meant string a few wins together. 11games left and if the Steelers can end the season with 9-10 wins there is still a shot at a wildcard. None of the teams ahead of the Steelers for the wildcard are unbeatable. Other than the Bills I give us a 50/50 chance against any of them.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

After re-reading I didn’t mean a win out win streak. I only meant string a few wins together. 11games left and if the Steelers can end the season with 9-10 wins there is still a shot at a wildcard. None of the teams ahead of the Steelers for the wildcard are unbeatable. Other than the Bills I give us a 50/50 chance against any of them.
    I get what you meant.

I just went to the “Teegre level” of optimism.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    All this season is doing is buying Fichtner, Butler, Smith a free pass to another season...which sucks...
    Trade Tomlin to Washington DC. The rest will work itself out. Lots of out coaches can win with their back up QB.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I disagree that we're up and down. This team has been consistent this year, other than the first one they've been in every game. What they need to do is improve at closing the deal.

Wash and Samuels out a few games now also. So...3rd QB, rookie Johnson, JuJu, Conner, rookie Snell, McD and BigV. Who else is this offense counting on this week? Moncrief, Tevin Jones, RB Edmunds, Lynch all may get backup helmets this game. If the Steelers score 20pts let alone win the game, Fichtner gets a raise. Come on sunshine, at least don’t rain on our boys this Sunday.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Wash and Samuels out a few games now also. So...3rd QB, rookie Johnson, JuJu, Conner, rookie Snell, McD and BigV. Who else is this offense counting on this week? Moncrief, Tevin Jones, RB Edmunds, Lynch all may get backup helmets this game. If the Steelers score 20pts let alone win the game, Fichtner gets a raise. Come on sunshine, at least don’t rain on our boys this Sunday.
    I doubt they are going to call 3 guys up from the PS. That is a lot of roster cuts.

Figure you can get away with cutting Eliot at OLB to get Lynch up to the gameday roster. Then you likely take a risk of cutting Fred Johnson at OL or Dangerfield at SS to get either a RB or a WR up to the roster.

Hope they lean on the run with some 2TE sets, should be viable with Vanett and McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I doubt they are going to call 3 guys up from the PS. That is a lot of roster cuts.

Figure you can get away with cutting Eliot at OLB to get Lynch up to the gameday roster. Then you likely take a risk of cutting Fred Johnson at OL or Dangerfield at SS to get either a RB or a WR up to the roster.
    Ok. I don’t know much about how moving players works. Somebody has to be the backup QB. Johnson, JuJu, Switzer, and Holton are it at WR. Moncrief’s damaged hands? Conner and Snell can hold down the RB position I guess. I don’t even know who Eliot is. Can he go to PS? I never need to figure player moves during the season usually.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Hope they lean on the run with some 2TE sets, should be viable with Vanett and McDonald
    I think the Chargers secondary is banged up pretty bad. Maybe use a lot of TE pass plays with 2 TE sets. IDK this season has all of us guessing what’s what.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

McDonald wasn't able to play in overtime because I think he reinjured his shoulder.

Has anybody heard anything about him?

He may not be available either.

This team is being devastated by injuries this year. Damn....

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Ok. I don’t know much about how moving players works. Somebody has to be the backup QB. Johnson, JuJu, Switzer, and Holton are it at WR. Moncrief’s damaged hands? Conner and Snell can hold down the RB position I guess. I don’t even know who Eliot is. Can he go to PS? I never need to figure player moves during the season usually.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the Chargers secondary is banged up pretty bad. Maybe use a lot of TE pass plays with 2 TE sets. IDK this season has all of us guessing what’s what.
    To get a guy in a game from the PS you have to either cut someone or put someone on IR to clear a spot on the 53 man roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk