Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: 2-4

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Updated: 2-4

That said and couple breaks and non fumbles this team could be 4-1 They been in every game accept for the Pats. This team is not bad as the record looks.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: 1-4

Inability to perform to critical moments is why the Steelers are 1-4.

Funny that we were so concerned about the quarterback fucking up when Two Killer game-ending fumbles were done by the players they were supposed to be least concerned about.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Inability to perform to critical moments is why the Steelers are 1-4.

Funny that we were so concerned about the quarterback fucking up when Two Killer game-ending fumbles were done by the players they were supposed to be least concerned about.
    Agreed on all and good post.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Championship!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The best news so far this season is that FINALLY the defense is paying out for all the resources invested in it. They limited the Ravens to around half of their offensive output. Decimated the terrible Bengals, forced 5 turnovers out of the 49ers, and limited the Seahawks more than most.

They are fast. They are flying to the ball. The pass rush is unrelenting, and finally their are plays being made behind the rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The best news so far this season is that FINALLY the defense is paying out for all the resources invested in it. They limited the Ravens to around half of their offensive output. Decimated the terrible Bengals, forced 5 turnovers out of the 49ers, and limited the Seahawks more than most.

They are fast. They are flying to the ball. The pass rush is unrelenting, and finally their are plays being made behind the rush.
    Agree and they are the main reason the Steelers was in all the games till the end. They are only going to get better as the season goes on. Shame we couldn't pull a win or two out of those games.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

4-4 after the next 3 games. Go ahead and mark it down. HERE WE GO!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Agreed! hopefully, the offense can salvage something from this season to build upon next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    This is the best 1-4 team I've ever seen.

(That just sounds hilarious to say. Reminds me of an announcer in the early 1990s on Grbac: "He's perhaps the best third-string QB in the league!"
    Not saying that but they mostly likely would be 3-2 if not for the choke fumbles at the end with Conner and JUJU. The defense is finally something with their turnovers and sacks this season.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    4-4 after the next 3 games. Go ahead and mark it down. HERE WE GO!
    /thread

The only hope is that the Defense is near the level where they help this team reel off a winning streak like the ‘76 squad, which is now desperately needed for them to even have a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Not saying that but they mostly likely would be 3-2 if not for the choke fumbles at the end with Conner and JUJU. The defense is finally something with their turnovers and sacks this season.
    No, actually, I wasn't being sarcastic with that. The chuckling smiley at the end is just because it sounds so funny to say. But this team really does feel like it should be a 3-2 team right now. And, in fact, I'd argue our losses to SF and Seattle are the two that we should have had.

And, interestingly enough, it's precisely because of the defense. I like what I'm starting to see from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    No, actually, I wasn't being sarcastic with that. The chuckling smiley at the end is just because it sounds so funny to say. But this team really does feel like it should be a 3-2 team right now. And, in fact, I'd argue our losses to SF and Seattle are the two that we should have had.

And, interestingly enough, it's precisely because of the defense. I like what I'm starting to see from them.
    Got ya

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

I’ve always agreed with Parcells.
    You are what your record says you are.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

This is not a good football team. They are 0-4 against professional football teams. San Fran would have dominated this team had they not been so usy trying to hand the game (and literally the ball to the Steelers). Baltimore wasn't that good yet winning the turnover battle they find a way to lose. Bad teams find a way to lose

Well can't blame Boz this year.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    This is not a good football team. They are 0-4 against professional football teams. San Fran would have dominated this team had they not been so usy trying to hand the game (and literally the ball to the Steelers). Baltimore wasn't that good yet winning the turnover battle they find a way to lose. Bad teams find a way to lose
    This is a mildly talented football team with sub standard coaching. The sub standard coaching reared its head many times through its 1-4 start. Poor Offense, Inconsistent Defense, and no Ben or Antonio Brown to bail them out week after week.

I never occured to Randy Fichtner that the Ravens may have prepared for the wildcat over the week, and they did. He busted it out anyway, and to the shock of nobody, it didn't work, putting the Steelers into a hole early. This gimmicky shit may work against the Bengals, but not against a well-coached team like Baltimore.

The Steelers Offenses' mild bread and butter has been the dink and dunk passing game. But Fichtner outsmarted himself again by forcing Rudolph to go deep, you know, because that is what "real" NFL offenses do and what all the "experts" say is right and the key to a successful NFL Offense (according to a certain someone here). To the shock of nobody, we have no viable deep threat, it didn't work and the Steelers Offense proceeded to die out for the rest of the game. At least they went deep, though. Because they are a real NFL Offense, because it works in the NFL. Because the experts say so.

Special teams makes a difference. The Ravens won this game today through their special teams. They can return the ball back, their Punter is outstanding and Justin Tucker speaks for himself. Imagine how much the game outcome could've changed if they had a bonafide returner or a good punter. The Steelers have not had a good returner since Antonio Brown. Switzer is useless. For years the Steelers have neglected their special teams and it has cost them big.

The Steelers have failed to make changes and stuck to the trends that have made them failures for the past decade. We have no right to be shocked that they continue to fail.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Would that be the passing game that Hodges went 7/9 for almost 10 yards a completion with?

Or was it the passing game that helped COnner find running room later in the game as the LBers and safeties backed out of the box due to the Steelers at least trying to go beyond 2 yards from the line of scrimmage?

I guess it was just the random plays that exist mostly in the fire everyone choruses mind.

Also please find a successful NFL offense that doesn't regularly attempt multiple 15+ yard pass plays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

This is a mildly talented football team with sub standard coaching. The sub standard coaching reared its head many times through its 1-4 start. Poor Offense, Inconsistent Defense, and no Ben or Antonio Brown to bail them out week after week.

I never occured to Randy Fichtner that the Ravens may have prepared for the wildcat over the week, and they did. He busted it out anyway, and to the shock of nobody, it didn't work, putting the Steelers into a hole early. This gimmicky shit may work against the Bengals, but not against a well-coached team like Baltimore.

The Steelers Offenses' mild bread and butter has been the dink and dunk passing game. But Fichtner outsmarted himself again by forcing Rudolph to go deep, you know, because that is what "real" NFL offenses do and what all the "experts" say is right and the key to a successful NFL Offense (according to a certain someone here). To the shock of nobody, we have no viable deep threat, it didn't work and the Steelers Offense proceeded to die out for the rest of the game. At least they went deep, though. Because they are a real NFL Offense, because it works in the NFL. Because the experts say so.

Special teams makes a difference. The Ravens won this game today through their special teams. They can return the ball back, their Punter is outstanding and Justin Tucker speaks for himself. Imagine how much the game outcome could've changed if they had a bonafide returner or a good punter. The Steelers have not had a good returner since Antonio Brown. Switzer is useless. For years the Steelers have neglected their special teams and it has cost them big.

The Steelers have failed to make changes and stuck to the trends that have made them failures for the past decade. We have no right to be shocked that they continue to fail.
    Go be a Ravens fan.

Would that be the passing game that Hodges went 7/9 for almost 10 yards a completion with?

Or was it the passing game that helped COnner find running room later in the game as the LBers and safeties backed out of the box due to the Steelers at least trying to go beyond 2 yards from the line of scrimmage?

I guess it was just the random plays that exist mostly in the fire everyone choruses mind.
    Nearly ten yards a completion, yet Conner rarely touched the ball, the Steelers didn't score a touchdown for the rest of the game after the 3rd.

So glad they got that yardage per pass attempt thing up. It really helped them out today. We got what we asked for. A Wide Open passing game and lots of deep shots. Don't be surprised if the Offense makes the Chargers Defense look like the 85 Bears next week.

Nearly ten yards a completion, yet Conner rarely touched the ball, the Steelers didn't score a touchdown for the rest of the game after the 3rd.

So glad they got that yardage per pass thing up. It really helped them out today. We got what we asked for. A Wide Open passing game and lots of deep shots. Don't be surprised if the Offense makes the Chargers Defense look like the 85 Bears next week.
    Because Conner was tearing it up against the Ravens early. At one point in the second quarter, the Ravens had 10 players within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Please, I beg you, explain how to move those LBs and safeties back aside from tossing a few deep balls.

If you know how to do that, please quit your current job and immediately begin coaching football. You know something literally no one else alive knows.

Because Conner was tearing it up against the Ravens early. At one point in the second quarter, the Ravens had 10 players within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Please, I beg you, explain how to move those LBs and safeties back aside from tossing a few deep balls.

If you know how to do that, please quit your current job and immediately begin coaching football. You know something literally no one else alive knows.
    You don't move them back. You take what they give you. Every defense gives you something and you take it until they stop it. The Ravens baited and dared the Steelers to go deep. And they did. It didn't work.

While backing into the box, Mason went 8-8 at one point with a touchdown to Juju, they "opened up the offense" and all of the sudden Mason couldn't hit anything. He went 0-4 going deep. Including those batch of misfires in the redzone after the Jackson interception that led to another field goal before halftime. With a timeout in their pocket to boot. But good thing they did that. They are a real NFL Offense. Those yards per attempt really made a difference.

You don't get to pull the "Let's see you do better" card when I wasn't the one who claimed to be an expert. The Steelers did exactly what "the experts" said was right, and it didn't work.

While backing into the box, Mason went 8-8 at one point with a touchdown to Juju, they "opened up the offense" and all of the sudden Mason couldn't hit anything. He went 0-4 going deep. Including those batch of misfires in the redzone after the Jackson interception that led to another field goal before halftime. With a timeout in their pocket to boot. But good thing they did that. They are a real NFL Offense. Those yards per attempt really made a difference.

You don't get to pull the "Let's see you do better" card when I wasn't the one who claimed to be an expert. The Steelers did exactly what "the experts" said was right, and it didn't work.
    So your plan is to ignore many of the fundamentals of football because Rudolph can't execute basic plays? On one of those deep balls he had the guy and overthrew it by a mile. On another he missed two intermediate recievers running wide open.

This would be like watching a team beat the blitz and concluding pass rushing is dumb.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I love how we're on our 4th QB and people still want to blame coaching. Good grief.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

I really don't want to be defending Fichtner or whatever. But it's just hard not to push back against some of the more extreme positions.

So your plan is to ignore many of the fundamentals of football because Rudolph can't execute basic plays? On one of those deep balls he had the guy and overthrew it by a mile. On another he missed two intermediate recievers running wide open.

This would be like watching a team beat the blitz and concluding pass rushing is dumb.
    to be fair on one of those I don't know what Johnson was doing. He ran hard, then let up, then picked it up again, by that time the ball was about 4 feet in front of him. On another play that didn't fare well, I saw Mason talking to him after the play. I just don't have a good feeling with this crew of WR's. I mean Ben had the same issue with them not getting open.

There was nothing there deep. Two Ravens were right there waiting for it. An underthrow is a pick waiting to happen. Better to overthrow the guy than underthrow it.

If Rudolph weren't so preoccupied trying to look like a Big Boy, he may have seen the intermediate receivers running open. This is the exact square peg-round role approach to Steelers coaching that costs the teams games. But as long as they impose their will and look tough, that's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    to be fair on one of those I don't know what Johnson was doing. He ran hard, then let up, then picked it up again, by that time the ball was about 4 feet in front of him. On another play that didn't fare well, I saw Mason talking to him after the play. I just don't have a good feeling with this crew of WR's. I mean Ben had the same issue with them not getting open.
    Good point. I think on another Holton had a step on his man and Rudolph missed him.

You are correct the WRs do odd things.