Thread: Was it Just Me, or Did These Refs Blow Calls All Day on Both Sides?

Was it Just Me, or Did These Refs Blow Calls All Day on Both Sides?

Some of those calls were just jaw-droppingly silly.

• Against the Steelers: two neutral zone infractions where the player was not in the neutral zone and the roughing the passer on Adenye (or however you spell his name) that was a good tackle while the QB was completing his throwing motion. I mean, His face mask was basically in the QB's crotch and his arms were around his knees, not below them. (Unless the call was helmet to helmet?)
    • Against the Ravens: This one's interesting. The first review just looked wrong. I agree with the second one that it was a catch. However, there was a holding against the defense that had me shaking my head as well. Seems to me a third one as well.

Through the years, I've had very few issues overall with the refs because more often than not, the argument's not been with the call but with the rule itself. However, today, the problem was the officiating, and not just the crew itself, but the review guys in NY as well.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Was it Just Me, or Did These Refs Blow Calls All Day on Both Sides?

There were plays missed and penalties called that shouldn't have been. Thing about this officiating group is that they have called the most penalties out of any group so far this year.

There was also the incomplete pass that they ruled a TD on field that they never blew the whistle for. The overall officiating has just been awful. As of two weeks ago, the penalties were up 46% over 2018...that's just obnoxious...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Just when you think it can't possibly get worse.....it does.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Why the NFL refuses to pursue the simplest and most obvious solution of building a cadre of highly-paid, highly trained, and rigorously evaluated officials is simply baffling to me. Who cares how much it costs? If it gets the zebras out of the news every week it would be worth any amount of league revenue.

Oh that's right. No one involved with the NFL cares about anything besides cash money.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    There were plays missed and penalties called that shouldn't have been. Thing about this officiating group is that they have called the most penalties out of any group so far this year.

There was also the incomplete pass that they ruled a TD on field that they never blew the whistle for. The overall officiating has just been awful. As of two weeks ago, the penalties were up 46% over 2018...that's just obnoxious...
    They have way to much power in deciding the outcomes of games.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Why the NFL refuses to pursue the simplest and most obvious solution of building a cadre of highly-paid, highly trained, and rigorously evaluated officials is simply baffling to me. Who cares how much it costs? If it gets the zebras out of the news every week it would be worth any amount of league revenue.

Oh that's right. No one involved with the NFL cares about anything besides cash money.
    Seriously. Guys that train every week study film, study the rules and workout . Nope NFL says that might be to costly and the billionaire will have to lose some of his cut. Tired of this lousy officiating

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

You know, I can almost understand that one. If the arm is hit, it's always a question of whether it was going forward or not. So, let it play out, call it on the field as it would be called if it were a fumble, and then review to see if it was an incomplete. I'm a little confused on why they didn't see it was an incomplete pass in the first place, but if they're going to err, I think it best to do it on the side of letting it play out.

But, you're right. All the penalties makes for abysmal games. I think instant replay needs to be scaled back to "did he get in bounds and did he get a TD?" Everything else should be left up to the refs on the field because there is (or at least, used to be) gamesmanship in causing the refs to see things or not see things by how you position your body or the ball, or whatever else. It's something I miss about the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Seriously. Guys that train every week study film, study the rules and workout . Nope NFL says that might be to costly and the billionaire will have to lose some of his cut. Tired of this lousy officiating

Right?

I mean it is 2019, no way that these guys couldn't be in a VR training sim 3 times a week. No way that is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post

Yep, you're both absolutely right. I mean, sure, there's only seventeen regular season games. However, that's true for the players as well, and this is their full time job. There's no reason they can't be full time. The refs can start with the NFL owner's meeting where the new rules are passed. Two weeks after that, the refs should be coming together for the start of their season. First step is to learn the new rules. Then work on calls missed most by each individual. Stick them in the replay booth and having them play out calling replays and then stop and discuss it. Then, rotate them through OTAs and training camps to officiate practice drills.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

It's been atrocious and I believe this is why the stadiums are half empty.

Fear not, the NFL will impose even more rules next year to smooth everything out .
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG Ī-

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    It's been atrocious and I believe this is why the stadiums are half empty.

Fear not, the NFL will impose even more rules next year to smooth everything out .
    and all "32 families" will bow and kiss his ring

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Another facet that has made the NFL unwatchable. Highlights are getting boring too.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Can't wait till AI gets advanced enough to take these geriatric fools out of a job

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Can't wait till AI gets advanced enough to take these geriatric fools out of a job

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Don't know about you there, but yes, the REFS BLOW.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

.......and the Browns are getting crushed.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    This is the worst for me. I get it when penalties occur but aren't called. That happens on damn near every single snap in the NFL. Some missed calls are more costly than others - but they're just gonna happen, deal with it.

It's when penalties are called, then on replay you're like, 'WTF are they calling that on?' that I just get livid. Maybe something looks worse initially than it really is (like Olaqwerty's PF), then pick up the damn flag and admit you were wrong. For the same reason, just like in the NCAA, they should be able to in real-time look at Earl Thomas' PF and say, "Upon further review, the defender left his feet, led with the crown of his helmet, and knocked the quarterback into next week. #24 has been ejected for targeting."

Were penalties calls ever consistent from game to game, week to week, or crew to crew?

I suspect (but have no idea) that they never were. We just remember (falsely) that they were and now we have the social media instantaneous evidence to prove variance each week.

I'm thinking how no two baseball umpires used to have the same strike zone and everyone just lived with it. Likely no two crews called the same pass interference or holding and we just lived with it. But now we can see it in frame by frame HD and share it around the globe. So it becomes a major deal...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Were penalties calls ever consistent from game to game, week to week, or crew to crew?

I suspect (but have no idea) that they never were. We just remember (falsely) that they were and now we have the social media instantaneous evidence to prove variance each week.

I'm thinking how no two baseball umpires used to have the same strike zone and everyone just lived with it. Likely no two crews called the same pass interference or holding and we just lived with it. But now we can see it in frame by frame HD and share it around the globe. So it becomes a major deal...
    Agreed

The athletic ability of the players, quality of the broadcasts, and quality/quantity of information breaking down the games have increased significantly over the years while the skills of the middle aged refs have not kept pace

Refs today on an absolute level probably are no worse than 25-50 years ago but relative to the rest of the game have fallen off significantly - the game today is too fast for the refs to see a lot of it at the level required to make consistently good calls