Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Hodges

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Let's Talk Hodges

I totally slept on this guy during the preseason and training camp process. Wrote him off as a camp arm who had a few moments against furniture movers and future failed personal trainers. As a result, I know next to nothing about him.

What I think I saw today is that the kid is decisive as all get out. At least 3 throws today he hit his back foot on his drop and just let it rip. A good bit of mobility and appeared to have a good sense of where the pass rush was at all times.

Looked it up and the only two scouting reports I could find worth a darn say basically that.
    http://www.pass2win.com/devlin-hodges-qb.html
    https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/201...en-gems-vol-3/

I suspect that no one associated with the Steelers is gonna rush Rudolph back. So Hodges may get the call against the Chargers and then the team has the bye week to get Rudolph's brain unscrambled.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: Let's Talk Hodges

Yea many on here laughed at us Hodges supporters and said who cares about a 4th string QB that won't make the team and never see the field. What we saw in preseason is that he makes quick decisions and the field isn't to big for him and has a confidence about him. Wow what a difference two months make and he will probably be starting his first game next Sunday night.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Liked what I saw in the preseason and liked what I saw in the game. He did look a little bit awkward out there, but I think he did very well. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Rudolph plays against the Chargers. As long as there is nothing else injured, he could recover from a concussion during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Liked what I saw in the preseason and liked what I saw in the game. He did look a little bit awkward out there, but I think he did very well. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Rudolph plays against the Chargers. As long as there is nothing else injured, he could recover from a concussion during the week.
    I think Rudy might have a ankle injury as well.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I totally slept on this guy during the preseason and training camp process. Wrote him off as a camp arm who had a few moments against furniture movers and future failed personal trainers. As a result, I know next to nothing about him.

What I think I saw today is that the kid is decisive as all get out. At least 3 throws today he hit his back foot on his drop and just let it rip. A good bit of mobility and appeared to have a good sense of where the pass rush was at all times.

Looked it up and the only two scouting reports I could find worth a darn say basically that.
    http://www.pass2win.com/devlin-hodges-qb.html
    https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/201...en-gems-vol-3/

I suspect that no one associated with the Steelers is gonna rush Rudolph back. So Hodges may get the call against the Chargers and then the team has the bye week to get Rudolph's brain unscrambled.

I really liked what I saw from him today. He does seem to trust his eyes and make quick decisions on where to go with the ball.

I just have to caution everyone not to overreact to what we just saw. I said the same thing when Rudolph came into a game and looked good. It is a different animal when teams get a long hard look at a quarterback and see what they like to do on the field. They game plan for you, and try to take away what you are best at and comfortable doing, while making you do what you haven't shown you can do very well and aren't very comfortable doing.

I'm not saying Hodges is going to fail. What I am saying is we don't have enough information to make a decision on anything yet. But he was very impressive today and very calm under extreme duress and circumstances. We just need to not go the other way if he doesn't play well next week. You just can't put too much into one performance.

I hope he continues to show that steely confidence and quick decision-making going forward. You can never​ have too many quality quarterbacks.

There's a lot to like about the men in the quarterbacks room when Ben comes back and these two young men are that much more experienced and proven.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I think he did well, just wish he would have acted with more urgency on the JuJu fumble.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I really liked what I saw from him today. He does seem to trust his eyes and make quick decisions on where to go with the ball.

I just have to caution everyone not to overreact to what we just saw. I said the same thing when Rudolph came into a game and looked good. It is a different animal when teams get a long hard look at a quarterback and see what they like to do on the field. They game plan for you, and try to take away what you are best at and comfortable doing, while making you do what you haven't shown you can do very well and aren't very comfortable doing.

I'm not saying Hodges is going to fail. What I am saying is we don't have enough information to make a decision on anything yet. But he was very impressive today and very calm under extreme duress and circumstances. We just need to not go the other way if he doesn't play well next week. You just can't put too much into one performance.

I hope he continues to show that steely confidence and quick decision-making going forward. You can never​ have too many quality quarterbacks.

There's a lot to like about the men in the quarterbacks room when Ben comes back and these two young men are that much more experienced and proven.
    You, as always, make excellent points.

I gotta say this as well...it couldn't be that the Steelers coaching staff has anything to do with two rookie QBs jumping off the bench and playing not terribly? I mean there is NOway that could be taking place...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I think he did well, just wish he would have acted with more urgency on the JuJu fumble.
    That was weird. It was like he was focusing on blocking off and preventing the Ravens LB from getting the ball and letting someone else actually recover the ball.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

You, as always, make excellent points.

I gotta say this as well...it couldn't be that the Steelers coaching staff has anything to do with two rookie QBs jumping off the bench and playing not terribly? I mean there is NOway that could be taking place...

Of course not.....no chance!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I think Rudy might have a ankle injury as well.
    certainly looked like it...but haven't heard anything yet. imagine we wouldnt hear anything until tomorrow anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

That was weird. It was like he was focusing on blocking off and preventing the Ravens LB from getting the ball and letting someone else actually recover the ball.
    It almost looked, from the one angle, like he was blocking the defender so another steelers player could recover it, only the other ravens player beat the other steelers player to the ball?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Bubby Duck was fun to watch in preseason. Never thought he would end up making the roster let alone get in game action and possibly start.

I'll still watch and just want to see the kid play. I like that he isn't scared unlike some backups in the past. Just go and play.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Yeah, looked like he was trying to block instead of securing the ball. Young kid he'll learn a d get better. Was it Holmes or Burress that just dropped the ball after catching it mid field? College rules. Lol

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Hodges definitely has some strengths that translate well to the game. I definitely think he can succeed in this league, especially with a good head coach and a good offensive system

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Dude has an arm, honestly his passes have more zip than Rudolph's

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

We have to check Hodges throwing velocity before he starts on Monday.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

These are the plays he will call Monday night.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

he coulda shot some ravens on sunday but juju dropped the ball

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

He plays without fear - the thing that separates the backup QBs who give you a chance from the ones where you are lucky to get 10 points a game.

Sometimes he may be a little TOO ballsy, to the point of being a bit wild. But I would rather have that problem than the typical limp-dicked backup who is so hesitant and afraid of making a mistake that he can't make any positive plays either.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

He made that one bad mistake floater yesterday that was picked and over turned by a Ravens penalty. Hopefully the coaches (yes I know it's our coaches) sit him down and show him the tape and say, "you simply cannot do this in the NFL the defenders are just too fast."

Had he charged the ball yesterday on the Juju fumble and batted it out of bounds we could be tied for first!

Outside of that we need to sign a QB this week I'd imagine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Hodges definitely has some strengths that translate well to the game. I definitely think he can succeed in this league, especially with a good head coach and a good offensive system
    So what you're saying is he has no shot here.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I thought Duck acquitted himself well yesterday, but that pick that got nullified wasn't a fluke. Dude floats his passes. That's his biggest weakness and (IMO) the main reason he's #3 instead of #2.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

As long as he doesn't try to force passes into tight coverage on the run, he should be fine.

He spreads the ball much better than Rudolph and this forces the defense to cover the field in add-on to giving the backs a bit more room to run. He's got some mobility and can run. And his accuracy was the best in camp, better than Ben's.

His college stats were crazy good in a weak conference, but he didn't exactly play with a good OL or receivers either.

Let's Talk Hodges

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Dude has an arm, honestly his passes have more zip than Rudolph's
    I kinda thought his passes took a lot of time to get to receivers...kinda just slow and a lot of arch on them...

No?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I kinda thought his passes took a lot of time to get to receivers...kinda just slow and a lot of arch on them...

No?
    I think we have gotten so used to the cannon that Ben has, that other QBs passes look weak and slow. Sadly, some of us will not see an arm like Ben’s again....in a Steelers uniform.
    He can throw deep from any position.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I think we have gotten so used to the cannon that Ben has, that other QBs passes look weak and slow. Sadly, some of us will not see an arm like Ben’s again....in a Steelers uniform.
    He can throw deep from any position.
    Not to keep talking about Ben but, I think it's safe to say Ben is really missed. Hodges did show a lot last week.

Hodges is more of a Steeler QB, cause I don't think Mason's capable of growing a playoff beard

What if Hodges plays or "looks" better?

Meaning that the competition wasn't cut and dried in the off-season and if Hodges converts more 3rd downs and fires some completions deep?

Lots of ifs and not likely going to happen but it could...

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Hodges is more of a Steeler QB, cause I don't think Mason's capable of growing a playoff beard
    Don't think either will be wearing a playoff beard this season.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What if Hodges plays or "looks" better?

Meaning that the competition wasn't cut and dried in the off-season and if Hodges converts more 3rd downs and fires some completions deep?

Lots of ifs and not likely going to happen but it could...
    What if Hodges is better than Ben too???

- - - Updated - - -

In a similar situation, does Nick Foles get his job back next season with all that guaranteed money?

No?
    I just went back and watched a video showing all his throws for the game. He definitely doesn't have a rocket. However, there wasn't much arch to his throws either unless necessary. A few longer throws were shallow, but some short and deep throws had arch, the first to get over defensive players and the latter so the WR could run underneath it (turns out, it was the DB running underneath it and we got a OPI, but still...). All in all, I think he has an average NFL arm.