Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rudolph Wanted to Walk Out

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

Re: Rudolph Wanted to Walk Out

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    They threw a flag......late.
    My bad then. I didn't see a flag nor did I hear the official announce the penalty. I'll have to go back and watch the tape again this evening.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

kid is tough no doubt

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

If it was Brady the flag would have been thrown before he was hit and Thomas would have been ejected had his fine delivered by FedEx this morning.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    If it was Brady the flag would have been thrown before he was hit and Thomas would have been suspended for life.
    Fixed

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The play should have resulted in an ejaction. Another thing about the players crying, no wonder they don't know how to win games. Maybe the Steelers could win against a girl's softball team?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Ejaction

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If we want to bang the table for Thomas being suspended then Dupree should've been suspended for the hit he put on Wilson a few weeks back.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If we want to bang the table for Thomas being suspended then Dupree should've been suspended for the hit he put on Wilson a few weeks back.
    I'd be fine w/that.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I'd be fine w/that.
    Ok. I just want to make sure that if we are all going to start calling for suspensions for hits to the head, it has to go all ways.

If I was running the league, I would suspend Dupree and not suspend Thomas. I think the Thomas hit is one of those horrible things that happens in fast, violent game and I think Dupree's hit was a player who could've pulled up but chose not to.

Again, just one guy's opinion.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

In general, I do not think anyone should be suspended, ejected, or even penalized at all for hits to the head unless they are deliberate cheap shots. People bonk heads in football all the time, it's just what happens.

After looking at the play again, I do not think Thomas was deliberately trying to knock him out, it was just unfortunate.

I would probably be fine with a rule that said, instead of penalties and suspensions, if you injure someone with a hit to the head, accidental or not, you are out of that game until the opposing player is cleared to come back in the game. Which in this case would have been basically the same as an ejection, but not always. If you are interested in the concept of "fairness," anyway, that seems like a reasonable way to do it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ok. I just want to make sure that if we are all going to start calling for suspensions for hits to the head, it has to go all ways.

If I was running the league, I would suspend Dupree and not suspend Thomas. I think the Thomas hit is one of those horrible things that happens in fast, violent game and I think Dupree's hit was a player who could've pulled up but chose not to.

Again, just one guy's opinion.
    Dupree got away w/that one. That was a no brainer that *surprise* the ref missed.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I feel like he's going to be a solid QB as he develops. He's got all the tangibles and he's got the attitude and he's got the following. JuJu was visibly upset when Rudolph was down.
    Who knows after that hit he may be as "smart" as Ben now!

I'm just glad he got up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Who knows after that hit he may be as "smart" as Ben now!

I'm just glad he got up.
    This is kinda where you miss that toughness of Roethlisberger. Rudolph is a tough kid no doubt, but Ben is survive motorcycle crashes without a helmet tough. After that hit he woulda just came back in and won the game

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Let's not split hairs... speculating intent is already rampant. The hits should have been called the same. Should just leave it at that.

Both left their feet "launched"... Both led with the crown of the helmet... Both were hits to the head/neck area.

I prefer the college method of calling the foul 1st, then let the review check the boxes above or not for the possible ejection.

...and if the fine schedules were anything consistent, Thomas should get at least the same $21K bill Dupree did.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Fine him also. Let's get this stuff consistent.
    Did Dupree make a tackle?

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

Just fine coming no suspension from what i read..bunch of b.s..suspend them for the hits eventuaully they might get it

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    The play should have resulted in an ejaction. Another thing about the players crying, no wonder they don't know how to win games. Maybe the Steelers could win against a girl's softball team?

That is an incredibly ridiculous thing to say.

If your friend was laying on the ground in front of you and you believed there was a chance something horrific had just happened to him, you wouldn't react to that? I wouldn't want anyone on my team that wasn't concerned and shaken by that.

Sociopathic behavior isn't a positive trait on or off the field.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    In general, I do not think anyone should be suspended, ejected, or even penalized at all for hits to the head unless they are deliberate cheap shots. People bonk heads in football all the time, it's just what happens.

After looking at the play again, I do not think Thomas was deliberately trying to knock him out, it was just unfortunate.

I would probably be fine with a rule that said, instead of penalties and suspensions, if you injure someone with a hit to the head, accidental or not, you are out of that game until the opposing player is cleared to come back in the game. Which in this case would have been basically the same as an ejection, but not always. If you are interested in the concept of "fairness," anyway, that seems like a reasonable way to do it.
    This makes way to much sense for it ever to be considered. Unfortunately.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I'm with the others who didn't have a problem with this hit. I have a bigger problem with the roughing call against Ola Adeniyi late in the 4th.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

First of all. Rudolph didnt likely know what state he was in, so shouldnt be allowed the judgement to decide he wanted to walk out.

As for the hit, Thomas is coming head on and leads with helmet and 2 crossed forearms. He wasnt going for a tackle, nor blocking the pass, he launched himself at an area above the "strike zone", contrary to his belief/statement. Should carry a fine and potentially should have been ejected or suspended 1 game. His only saving grace might be that I think his head was up and not looking down, so maybe the league judgement is no crown hit.

With regards to Dupree hitting Wilson...that was a side shot, with his arms out as if he was trying to wrap up, but his target area was again too high and his helmet hit the QB head. Dupree ran thru the hit, he didn't launch himself at the QB. I dont see it as malicious as the Thomas hit, where he left his feet, at probably 5'11" to launch himself (forearms crossed) at the head of a 6'5" QB. The hit on Rudolph was much more malicious and could/should carry a stronger penalty. IMO.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    No surprise it was not flagged immediately. The refs missed so many calls yesterday that went against both teams it deservedly got its own thread on the forum here.

With regard to the flag on the Thomas hit being a reaction to Rudolph appearing to have been killed, Fouts made a good point after Rudolph threw what was a clearly an incomplete pass that the Ravens ran back for what initially appeared to be a bogus TD. Fouts said the whistle apparently had not blown because the refs have screwed up other plays when it was a live ball but the play had been whistled dead.

The refs are looking over their collective shoulders at what Al Riveron and friends in New York will do to second guess them to the extent it is impacting how the games are being called.
    Which is nonsense and slowing everything down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

EGJ,
    I'm not talking about that one. Perhaps I'm mis- remembering the specific incident. I'm talking about where he wrapped him up around the legs and brought him down, only to be flagged for an illegal hit below the waist.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    EGJ,
    I'm not talking about that one. Perhaps I'm mis- remembering the specific incident. I'm talking about where he wrapped him up around the legs and brought him down, only to be flagged for an illegal hit below the waist.
    Wasn't for that horrible call the Steelers most likely win and the game doesn't go into OT. Seen to many games this year where the refs call a bogus ruffing the passer call late in games, giving teams a chance to comeback and win.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    First of all. Rudolph didnt likely know what state he was in, so shouldnt be allowed the judgement to decide he wanted to walk out.

As for the hit, Thomas is coming head on and leads with helmet and 2 crossed forearms. He wasnt going for a tackle, nor blocking the pass, he launched himself at an area above the "strike zone", contrary to his belief/statement. Should carry a fine and potentially should have been ejected or suspended 1 game. His only saving grace might be that I think his head was up and not looking down, so maybe the league judgement is no crown hit.

With regards to Dupree hitting Wilson...that was a side shot, with his arms out as if he was trying to wrap up, but his target area was again too high and his helmet hit the QB head. Dupree ran thru the hit, he didn't launch himself at the QB. I dont see it as malicious as the Thomas hit, where he left his feet, at probably 5'11" to launch himself (forearms crossed) at the head of a 6'5" QB. The hit on Rudolph was much more malicious and could/should carry a stronger penalty. IMO.
    That’s a really detailed breakdown. Based on that it seems I need to watch both hits more carefully and revise my opinion.

Thanks for weighing in.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

The rules are there for exactly this reason. It shouldn't matter what area Thomas "meant" to hit. The hit was a helmet to chin with him launching(both feet off the ground). That is textbook what the rules are there to prevent. I do not know Thomas' history with the league so I don't know about any suspension but there needs to be a hefty fine for that hit on Rudolph. Malicious intent or not Dupree should be fined for his hit on Wilson also.(Maybe he was I don't keep up) It's not about the intent.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    EGJ,
    I know, the Adeni hit was totally legal. Refs sucked on that and other calls both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The rules are there for exactly this reason. It shouldn't matter what area Thomas "meant" to hit. The hit was a helmet to chin with him launching(both feet off the ground). That is textbook what the rules are there to prevent. I do not know Thomas' history with the league so I don't know about any suspension but there needs to be a hefty fine for that hit on Rudolph. Malicious intent or not Dupree should be fined for his hit on Wilson also.(Maybe he was I don't keep up) It's not about the intent.
    The reality is, that intent does matter, especially when it comes to fines and suspensions.

If Minkah Fitzpatrick tries to break up a pass across the middle and in the process of trying to make a play, he inadvertently hits the WR in the helmet with his shoulder, its a penalty. The league likely doesn't fine him heavily, if at all. Similarly, when Vontaze Burfict went across the middle and hit AB in the head with his shoulder, while not making a play on the football or attempt to tackle, he was punished heavily. Same result of shoulder to head of a WR, but one with visible malice and intent.

BTW, Dupree was fined for the Wilson hit. I recall reading it somewhere.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I’d be willing to bet that no NFL team could beat a girls Softball team...I’d also be willing to bet that out of 32 teams, 16 or more would get no hit...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Did anyone notice if that was Ryan Shazier helping Rudolph walk off?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Did anyone notice if that was Ryan Shazier helping Rudolph walk off?
    I thought it was too big linemen. Could have been Fred Johnson and Okorafor.

Is Shazier back sturdy enough to help support a 230 lb guy like Rudolph? I thought he still kind of walks with a limp.