Thread: Report: NFL fines Ben Roethlisberger $5000 for wearing Apple watch on the sidelines

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Report: NFL fines Ben Roethlisberger $5000 for wearing Apple watch on the sidelines

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Report: NFL fines Ben Roethlisberger $5000 for wearing Apple watch on the sidelines

Ben allegedly touching all the bases in preparing his defense

His issue is that he never received any advanced warning that he could be in violation, only a fine letter for wearing the device -- which he didn't even realize he had on, according to sources.

With Roethlisberger unable to use his right arm, his wife dressed him for the Monday night game and strapped the Apple Watch on his left wrist.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...elers-sideline

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: Report: NFL fines Ben Roethlisberger $5000 for wearing Apple watch on the sidelines

On the other hand, maybe Roethlisberger could win his appeal by simply arguing, "I can't text anyone because have you seen my left arm, and we were playing the Bengals, so why would I even need to use this watch to cheat?"

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The Patriots seem to have electronic devices that have an affect on every home game that they play. Many teams have said so, and the NFL is very aware of all the claims and the actual issues that occur during games in that stadium. The NFL has made no effort to figure out what the issues are. If it is inferior wiring and electronics in the stadium, the Patriots should be forced to install a completely new system within the stadium, and no expense should be spared.....but that hasn't happened. If it isn't an issue with the wiring, hardware, or any of the infrastructure, then it is being interfered with and manipulated by something and someone that the team is aware of. Those are the only two possibilities. The team controls everything electronic within that stadium.

I guess what this means is that actual electronic bugs within the system or outright tampering by the Patriots is OK with the NFL......just don't wear an apple watch on the sideline with the use of only one arm. You know, the only working arm that he was actually wearing the watch on.

The Patriots' inability to provide basic required electronic functions within the confines of an NFL stadium or outright cheating doesn't require a remedy to the problem or a penalty of any kind, yet Ben Roethlisberger wearing a watch gets hit with a $5000 fine.

The NFL is a complete joke. I understand that there are rules, but how is the issue with the Patriots not addressed by the league with no resolution or punishment?

Nothing about the way they enforce and punish makes any sense or has any consistency.

The NFL has a serious credibility problem on multiple levels.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Oh sheesh.......he's an Apple guy.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Wait Ben is getting fined and OBJ wore a $2million watch during a game and nothing happens to him??? I could be wrong maybe they did fine OBJ, but if they didn't then why is Ben being fined??? The NFL and their double Standards.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

If Roger Goodell isn't considered clinically insane, he should be

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Yet OBJ can wear the equivalent of a house on his wrist ON THE FIELD and not incur a fine?

I've pretty much had it with this league...

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Yet OBJ can wear the equivalent of a house on his wrist ON THE FIELD and not incur a fine?

Exactly what I had said earlier

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The league has a rule that you can't have any device on the sideline that you can send a message with. The device could send a message, but Patriots have a stadium where teams can't communicate as per the league's rules and there has been zero action against them.

The NFL is completely and utterly full of shit.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Not trying to pick on you. But OBJs watch didn't have communication capabilities. Apple watch does. That's why the league acted.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Not trying to pick on you. But OBJs watch didn't have communication capabilities. Apple watch does. That's why the league acted.
    It's still very much a uniform violation. But hey, as long as he didn't wear eye black with a message regarding his deceased father, then it's all good, I suppose...

It's not the rules I have a problem with, it's the half-assed and completely uneven application of them I have a problem with.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    Love this.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

But Kappercrap wears socks with pigs in police uniforms and crickets...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Complete BS Ben who is on IR gets a fine and, players who are in the line up gets nothing .

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    I love the power glove... It's so bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I was thinking it was a possibility because of that. Though I'm surprised it was a fine since he wasn't really a player on the field.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Noted: NFL hates watches and or time reading devices.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Right, and if there is a possibility of someone actually getting messages, it better be on an official sponsor Microsoft Surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Yeah I was thinking it was a possibility because of that. Though I'm surprised it was a fine since he wasn't really a player on the field.
    I think just being on the sideline is the qualifier.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    On the other hand, maybe Roethlisberger could win his appeal by simply arguing, "I can't text anyone because have you seen my left arm, and we were playing the Bengals, so why would I even need to use this watch to cheat?"
    Did you see what you just did? If I were a smart ass, I would say “He has a cast on the other hand”.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Apple will make it up to Ben

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Apple will make it up to Ben
    Shoot, I’ll start a fund raiser.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

New apple watch "Big Ben"