Thread: Steelers Release TE Xavier Grimble With Injury Settlement

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Steelers Release TE Xavier Grimble With Injury Settlement

The Pittsburgh Steelers have cut TE Xavier Grimble from their injured reserve list with an injury settlement, according to the NFL’s official transaction report issued today. He is now a free agent.

Grimble was placed on IR on September 25th after suffering a torn calf muscle. He had struggled in his first three weeks in uniform, catching just one pass for three yards. A lack of depth at the position forced the Steelers to trade a 2020 5th round pick for Nick Vannett. Vannett caught two passes for 28 yards in his Pittsburgh debut last Monday......

read more @ https://steelersdepot.com/2019/10/st...ry-settlement/

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Steelers Release TE Xavier Grimble With Injury Settlement

There goes the season.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

But everyone knew there was no need to sign a TE this offseason since Grimble was certain to step up after Jesse James left and be a capable backup to McDonald

Compared to this devastating news the loss of Ben is just a speed bump

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

He should have been gone long ago.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

"But who CARES who the backup TEs are, they hardly play anyway, omg get a LIFE!"

- Every person on this message board, Sept. 2019
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    But everyone knew there was no need to sign a TE this offseason since Grimble was certain to step up after Jesse James left and be a capable backup to McDonald

Compared to this devastating news the loss of Ben is just a speed bump
    There was need, but I don't think much in the way of a decent TE was on the market. I mean, there were names like Lee Smith and Michael Roberts being thrown around here in the offseason as possible signings that didn't work out. At some point, need to draft one on at least day 2.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

yawn
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Funny part is the lions are paying James 6 million to run third behind Hockenson and Logan Thomas.

I bet James would come back for less and actually play.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    There was need, but I don't think much in the way of a decent TE was on the market. I mean, there were names like Lee Smith and Michael Roberts being thrown around here in the offseason as possible signings that didn't work out. At some point, need to draft one on at least day 2.
    Yep

After the top three TEs in last year’s draft, there was a bunch of meh. Drafting Diontae Johnson was the smarter move (than taking a blade TE), and likewise, drafting Justin Layne was logical (considering how awful our secondary has been). After that, the options were “less than meh”.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers Release TE Xavier Grimble With Injury Settlement

Another player that was rostered for way too long and probably won’t end up on another NFL roster.
    Last edited by 86WARD; 10-05-2019 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Not quite every person.
    exactly

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Another player that was fostered for way too long and probably won’t end up on another NFL roster.
    he won't he had several years to make some impact here and with little in front of him most of the time did exactly nothing ( or as close to nothing as one can do and get paid )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

With a #1 McDonald and a #2 Vannett is there still a need to draft a TE early? Not judging with this question just weighing the thread's opinion. McDonald has a history of missing games due to injury. Vannett is going to be a FA after this season. Gentry is still very young and raw at the position. Kevin Rader and Christian Scotland-Williamson remain on the PS. From what I can find there are no TE prospects in this upcoming draft that look any better than what we currently have on the roster. There is always potential and the Steelers don't draft until round 2 so.....thoughts?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    With a #1 McDonald and a #2 Vannett is there still a need to draft a TE early? Not judging with this question just weighing the thread's opinion. McDonald has a history of missing games due to injury. Vannett is going to be a FA after this season. Gentry is still very young and raw at the position. Kevin Rader and Christian Scotland-Williamson remain on the PS. From what I can find there are no TE prospects in this upcoming draft that look any better than what we currently have on the roster. There is always potential and the Steelers don't draft until round 2 so.....thoughts?
    I hope they make a play to extend Vannett. McDonald is a walking injury, Gentry will be a decent #2 in time. Still should look in draft.