Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steeler Defense

Re: Steeler Defense

I don't know this, but I'd be interested in seeing the breakdown between how many times he was "chasing someone from behind" on man coverage vs. zone coverage, and then his assignments on both. I'll give him a complete pass if he was assigned a different zone and hustled over to make a tackle or even get close to the play. Same with man-to-man if he was tasked with a TE or covering someone over the top and then breaking off to make a tackle.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I don't know this, but I'd be interested in seeing the breakdown between how many times he was "chasing someone from behind" on man coverage vs. zone coverage, and then his assignments on both. I'll give him a complete pass if he was assigned a different zone and hustled over to make a tackle or even get close to the play. Same with man-to-man if he was tasked with a TE or covering someone over the top and then breaking off to make a tackle.
    Yeah, that is nothing but a completely anecdotal observation, and the explanation may be as simple as, the defense overall did not have its shit together and he was just caught up in the middle of it. That's what I am hoping for, anyway.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    And no Burns 👍🏻
    Hater = Realist

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    And no Burns
    Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Who?
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Yeah, that is nothing but a completely anecdotal observation, and the explanation may be as simple as, the defense overall did not have its shit together and he was just caught up in the middle of it. That's what I am hoping for, anyway.
    That could be true, or it could be that you're catching weaknesses in his ability to play zone or man and having to play catch up. Someone should go watch some film!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He was fortunate to learn from some of the dong masters of the past -- Worlds, Jarvis, et al.
    I can’t wait until NFL films does his story... Bud Dupree: a Dong Life.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Dupree has been really, really good defending the run. As much as people want to rag on him, his run stopping has been that much better.

I’ll just stick this right here...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Everyone else is playing zone. Barron plays man... then, in order to rub salt in that wound, he allows that man to break free.

Barron is awful. As I said weeks ago: I’ll take my lumps with Gilbert.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Meanwhile, Bince was reading plays and going in motion before the TE motioned and then got in position to affect the play. Baldinger shows it but I can't find it right now.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Dupree has been really, really good defending the run. As much as people want to rag on him, his run stopping has been that much better.
    There was a running play where the RG pulled right at Dupree. Dupree shoved him aside and made the TFL.

But, Yes, no one will admit that he makes good plays against the run.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

On our defense

We are +5 on turnovers
    We have a good pass rush
    The secondary for the first time in years is good

The biggest problem? The offense is not getting ENOUGH points off turnovers! The run defense isn't very good, and we have two new starters finding their way. Oh the coaching at times makes little sense as Buttler plays 2 defensive lineman at times, which just scream run on us.

By the end of the year the defense should be better

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Everyone else is playing zone. Barron plays man... then, in order to rub salt in that wound, he allows that man to break free.

Honestly when Dirty Red came into the game the defense looked better. Yeah he's slower than Barron but the guy plays his assignments well.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Barron is a QB watcher. He probably believes he’s fast enough to close on the ball. He wants to make the Int over just defending the play. If he sticks to the TE on that play that pass probably doesn’t get thrown at all. Bad habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Honestly when Dirty Red came into the game the defense looked better. Yeah he's slower than Barron but the guy plays his assignments well.
    Amen!!! Red might not be athletic enough to ever be “good”, but he’s not going to be out of position nor would he ever jog. WTF is up with the jogging!?!

btw: In limited play, Bince had 9 tackles, a pass breakup, and a sack.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Barron is a QB watcher. He probably believes he’s fast enough to close on the ball. He wants to make the Int over just defending the play. If he sticks to the TE on that play that pass probably doesn’t get thrown at all. Bad habits.
    Fast would require him to run (not jog).

Indeed, if he stays playing man, the pass isn’t thrown. Barron made one error (playing man when everyone else is playing zone) and compounded that mistake by making a second mistake (leaving the TE wide open).

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Amen!!! Red might not be athletic enough to ever be “good”, but he’s not going to be out of position nor would he ever jog. WTF is up with the jogging!?!

btw: In limited play, Bince had 9 tackles, a pass breakup, and a sack.

- - - Updated - - -

Fast would require him to run (not jog).

Indeed, if he stays playing man, the pass isn’t thrown. Barron made one error (playing man when everyone else is playing zone) and compounded that mistake by making a second mistake (leaving the TE wide open).
    I don't think Barron was playing man in that clip, I think he motioned over and communicated to Kelly on the pre snap motion. Then at the snap he took his drop to the depth of the TE, but took his eye and hands off the TE in the zone and lost him, instead of running with the TE thru the middle of the zone until he possibly went deeper. Just a bad coverage and like you say, worse jogging.

I said last week I think Bince and Bush are the top 2 ILB on the team. I think that was displayed further during the game.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

SO here is what I have been thinking about. Supposedly Butler is the worst defensive coordinator since the invention of the position. But. But. The Steelers defense is good?

So what’s going on? I mean I have been repeatedly told that the scheme was outdated and couldn’t work in todays NFL. I was told that Butler and Tomlin were too arrogant and stupid to make adjustments and coach players. I was told that without a real NT it would never work.

I am still not a Butler fan. I am a fan of this style of 3-4 defense. I have argued in the past that the biggest problem was players being stupid and not executing the plan properly and the lack of playmakers in the middle of the field.

I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Tomlin and Austin may have reined in the worst of Butler’s ideas and the addition of Bush, Barron (as bad as he has looked he is better than Boston or Spence), and MFF has made the entire unit better. The replacement of Sensabaugh with Nelson is an almost unquantifiable upgrade.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    SO here is what I have been thinking about. Supposedly Butler is the worst defensive coordinator since the invention of the position. But. But. The Steelers defense is good?

So what’s going on? I mean I have been repeatedly told that the scheme was outdated and couldn’t work in todays NFL. I was told that Butler and Tomlin were too arrogant and stupid to make adjustments and coach players. I was told that without a real NT it would never work.

I am still not a Butler fan. I am a fan of this style of 3-4 defense. I have argued in the past that the biggest problem was players being stupid and not executing the plan properly and the lack of playmakers in the middle of the field.

I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Tomlin and Austin may have reined in the worst of Butler’s ideas and the addition of Bush, Barron (as bad as he has looked he is better than Boston or Spence), and MFF has made the entire unit better. The replacement of Sensabaugh with Nelson is an almost unquantifiable upgrade.
    It’s a bit of both but would lean to the upgrade in talent with Bush and Minka shoring up the middle having more to do with it than Butler finally getting it.
    Throw in DuPree playing for a new contract, DL playing well, Nelson a definite upgrade at CB.
    Great...we’re 1-4.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    It’s a bit of both but would lean to the upgrade in talent with Bush and Minka shoring up the middle having more to do with it than Butler finally getting it.
    Throw in DuPree playing for a new contract, DL playing well, Nelson a definite upgrade at CB.
    Great...we’re 1-4.
    2-4. However, if we take a look at the defensive effort and pair that with an offense even from last year let alone the years past, we're 5-1 right now with our only loss coming against the Pats.* And even then, our defense played well until they ran out of gas because the offense couldn't keep them off the field.