Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steeler Defense

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Steeler Defense

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I think this defense feeds off the success of the offense. When the offense can’t get anything going it’s mental exhaustion just as much if not more than physical exhaustion that wears out the D. This is a young defense after all. I think the same type of thing will happen against the ravens, that happened yesterday; if our offense can score points, watch the D start to really shut down the ravens offense. They said themselves they are starting to jell. If the offense stalls is where we will start to see missed assignments, PI’s and dumb penalties pile up.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    I think this defense feeds off the success of the offense. When the offense can’t get anything going it’s mental exhaustion just as much if not more than physical exhaustion that wears out the D. This is a young defense after all. I think the same type of thing will happen against the ravens, that happened yesterday; if our offense can score points, watch the D start to really shut down the ravens offense. They said themselves they are starting to jell. If the offense stalls is where we will start to see missed assignments, PI’s and dumb penalties pile up.
    All that is certainly true, but you have to hand it to the defense for holding tough in the beginning when the offense put them in bad spots. Holding the Bengals to that first field goal after the fumble was really big. And when the offense stalled again, the defense held strong.

The defense really set the tone for the offense in this game and made it so we never had to debate why the offense never adjusted... the offense never HAD to adjust. The defense allowed them to stick with their game plan

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Maybe with a lead and or competent offense, the defense can relax a bit and not worry about one bad play being the margin of defeat? Actually let’s them play better.

They still faced a ton of plays. But most with a 2 score lead. Seemed to change things.

Or maybe the Cincy o line is just really bad?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    Tomlin, Butler, and their merry band of lackeys lit a fire under his ass. He was probably playing for his job last night. The question remains: Is this gonna be the new Barron, or was this a one-off performance for his angry coaches that'll go away once the adrenaline wears off?
    That is indeed the question.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Isn’t it a little weird to think that out of our starting defense last night Tuitt, Hargrave, and Nelson are the only players who weren’t drafted in the first round? And those guys are pretty good.

If Burns ever subs for Nelson we could have 9 first round players on the field at the same time. That would have to be some kind of record, don’t you think?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Momentum-wise: Bud Dupree’s strip-sack was perfectly timed.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Interesting...the Steelers defense faced 69 snaps, which is similar to the Seattle game total of 72, but they didn't suck in the 2nd half like they did vs Seattle. Could it be snap count or something else that lead to difference in play?

I think the Steelers found their core DB group. Was intrigued to see why they had Sutton in rather than Hilton, but the numbers show it was the minority of the time.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Momentum-wise: Bud Dupree’s strip-sack was perfectly timed.
    I think it was the biggest play of the game.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The defense faced a lot of plays, but it was much more effectibe during those plays. I don't think that has anything to do with our offense, it has to do with the defense winning battles against the Cincinnati offense.

Partly because of the Bungles being REALLY BAD (OL looked lost, receivers were shaky) but also hopefully because we are making progress. Now that they've shown they CAN win a game, this week ought to be a much bigger test for both the offense and defense.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I mean playing from ahead with a multi-score lead and being able to spend the majority of the 2nd half win pass rush only mode might have a bit to do with it.

While I am shocked at the number of plays that Cincy ran versus how many were effective; I honestly do not believe the performance of the offense and the defense can be completely decoupled. One influences and/or plays a role in the other.

It is kind of hard to say, because it is becoming clear that the Bengals are pretty bad.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I mean playing from ahead with a multi-score lead and being able to spend the majority of the 2nd half win pass rush only mode might have a bit to do with it.

While I am shocked at the number of plays that Cincy ran versus how many were effective; I honestly do not believe the performance of the offense and the defense can be completely decoupled. One influences and/or plays a role in the other.

It is kind of hard to say, because it is becoming clear that the Bengals are pretty bad.
    Its like Tomlin said in the presser....when the offense turns the ball over, the Defense needs to get a stop and get off the field. Similarly, when the Defense gets a turnover, the Offense needs to support them and get points.

The reality of the situation is, that when the Offense is on the field, they aren't thinking and cant be thinking of what the defense is doing. Same for when the Defense is on the field. Fact is that if the Defense didn't fold like a cheap lawn chair in the 2nd half of the Seattle game, the Steelers are 2-2 and tied for the division lead.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Green being out is really hurting their offense.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Green being out is really hurting their offense.
    Well that and their OL couldn’t stop a HS JV squad right now. I am not sure Green would have helped at all when Red was getting hit almost immediately after the ball was snapped.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Don’t look now but Dupree is 5th in the NFL in TFLs with 9.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Well that and their OL couldn’t stop a HS JV squad right now. I am not sure Green would have helped at all when Red was getting hit almost immediately after the ball was snapped.
    True and 8 sacks is a lot to give up in 1 game. Of course no fear of the other wrs maybe why the Steeelers blitz more.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

He was also blatantly held a couple times in this game, and in some of the other games. He is getting more consistent pressure this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Yeah, but how many were TFL-dong tackles?

I bet there is a film room cut up in the works on the Depot soon.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yeah, but how many were TFL-dong tackles?

I bet there is a film room cut up in the works on the Depot soon.
    He was fortunate to learn from some of the dong masters of the past -- Worlds, Jarvis, et al.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

And the original "Kong of Dong" himself, Jason GilDong, though the weekly ripping of Lamarr Woodley (The WoodenDong) was freakin' hillarious

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Interesting...the Steelers defense faced 69 snaps, which is similar to the Seattle game total of 72, but they didn't suck in the 2nd half like they did vs Seattle. Could it be snap count or something else that lead to difference in play?
    The Bungles were playing from a large deficit for most of the game. My conclusions: 1) Stopping the pass is a lot less tiring than stopping the run. 2) The Steelers defense against the pass is better than their defense against the run. 3) It's easier to stop a one dimensional offense.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    The Bungles were playing from a large deficit for most of the game. My conclusions: 1) Stopping the pass is a lot less tiring than stopping the run. 2) The Steelers defense against the pass is better than their defense against the run. 3) It's easier to stop a one dimensional offense.
    The only thing that made sense was #3

As I watched that game, i was suddenly struck with the idea that we have two safeties that could stay with us a decade or more and both are able to put together very good games. We have two linebackers who are very fresh and could also play with us a decade or more and become very good players if not great players. Hargrave and Tuitt are only 26. Mike Hilton seemed to come alive last night, and he's only 25. Steven nelson is playing decently well, too, allowing just over half the ball thrown his way to be completed. He's only 26.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    As I watched that game, i was suddenly struck with the idea that we have two safeties that could stay with us a decade or more and both are able to put together very good games. We have two linebackers who are very fresh and could also play with us a decade or more and become very good players if not great players. Hargrave and Tuitt are only 26. Mike Hilton seemed to come alive last night, and he's only 25. Steven nelson is playing decently well, too, allowing just over half the ball thrown his way to be completed. He's only 26.
    D is very young and only getting better and the age of the team mostly is on the OL needs to be a priority next draft,

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    And the original "Kong of Dong" himself, Jason GilDong, though the weekly ripping of Lamarr Woodley (The WoodenDong) was freakin' hillarious
    May favorite is still:
    Taunto, the winged God of linebacking

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    That core 4 of DBs is leaps and bounds further along (and talented) then what they had the past few seasons. My fear is now the defense is going to become the strong part of the team and the offense is going to become subpar...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    As long as Edmunds is actually capable of playing the position, that is the key to the whole thing.

Who knows, maybe he actually isn't that bad, and adding Fitzpatrick really helped him. Like ... Will Allen caught a ton of shit his last season here, but I actually think he was still an ok player, but Antwon Blake was SO bad that Allen got caught up in all the misplays, either trying to compensate for them, or being in "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations.

Maybe having Davis and other meatheads back there was having a similar effect on Edmunds. At least, I hope that was it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I'm never gonna forgive Davis for that hit on Haden vs SD last year. If he doesn't do that, Haden gets the INT and we win the game.

For some kid who was supposedly book smart in school he's stupid as hell when it comes to making decisions in game

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    As long as Edmunds is actually capable of playing the position, that is the key to the whole thing.

Who knows, maybe he actually isn't that bad, and adding Fitzpatrick really helped him. Like ... Will Allen caught a ton of shit his last season here, but I actually think he was still an ok player, but Antwon Blake was SO bad that Allen got caught up in all the misplays, either trying to compensate for them, or being in "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations.

Maybe having Davis and other meatheads back there was having a similar effect on Edmunds. At least, I hope that was it.
    Edmunds was a rookie and I thought he actually played well for being thrown into that position and starting 15 games, making over 70 tackles and an INT in his rookie season. I haven't seen any kind of reason in the first 4 games this year that would need to have him pulled and I think it helps to have another guy with high football IQ back there in Fitzpatrick to play next to.

D line is gonna be where the group needs to be upgraded after Hargrave likely leaves in the offseason and AluAlu, Heyward are not getting any younger.

Edmunds was a rookie and I thought he actually played well for being thrown into that position and starting 15 games, making over 70 tackles and an INT in his rookie season. I haven't seen any kind of reason in the first 4 games this year that would need to have him pulled and I think it helps to have another guy with high football IQ back there in Fitzpatrick to play next to.

D line is gonna be where the group needs to be upgraded after Hargrave likely leaves in the offseason and AluAlu, Heyward are not getting any younger.
    Edmunds has just seemed, for most of his brief career, like another one of those guys who you only see chasing receivers from behind on another long pass, reacting to plays instead of making plays. That may not be his fault, if it was what I alluded to with a cascade effect from other players being out of position and screwing up. At least I hope so.
    See you Space Cowboy ...