Thread: At What Point Would You?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

At What Point Would You?

1. Trade Javon Hargrave?
    2. Cut Switzer?
    3. Cut Moncrief?
    4. Get ALpahbet Soup a ton of snaps to see if he can start in the NFL?
    5. Consider Trading Heyward.

I would trade Hargrave as soon as someone gave me an offer better than a low 3rd round pick.

I would cut Switzer and Moncrief yesterday. Sign some SPARQ type WRs and see if an injection of speed loosens things up on offense. I don’t care if all they do is run 9 routes all day.

I make sure Ola sees about 25% of the OLB snaps in a variety of situations. See if he can play in enough game scenarios to be seriously considered as a starter in the NFL.

If someone gives me a high enough pick, I seriously consider training Heyward. But. not if I have already traded Hargrave. In other words, keep one of the 2. And maybe I seriously see if I can move Heyward, shift his cap $$$ and position to Hargrave.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Re: At What Point Would You?

I agree about switzer and moncreif.. i dont care either way about hargrave.. what i don't agree is shopping Cam this defense needs stability and leadership which i think heyward brings Oh and while we are at it maybe we can find a DC that can actually coach. Other then that I agree whole heartily

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

No way I trade Cam...I'm not even sure you're being serious..

I try and sign Hargrave, he's been solid all year.

Switzer and Mongrief, I couldn't care less about them being on the roster.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    1. Trade Javon Hargrave?
    2. Cut Switzer?
    3. Cut Moncrief?

I would trade Hargrave as soon as someone gave me an offer better than a low 3rd round pick.

I would cut Switzer and Moncrief yesterday. Sign some SPARQ type WRs and see if an injection of speed loosens things up on offense. I don’t care if all they do is run 9 routes all day.

I make sure Ola sees about 25% of the OLB snaps in a variety of situations. See if he can play in enough game scenarios to be seriously considered as a starter in the NFL.

If someone gives me a high enough pick, I seriously consider training Heyward. But. not if I have already traded Hargrave. In other words, keep one of the 2. And maybe I seriously see if I can move Heyward, shift his cap $$$ and position to Hargrave.

1 ) Depends on what I can get. A 3rd for Hargrave?, I think Buggs is a bit better vs. the run, sure. Also he's a free agent next season.
    2 ) I would not cut Switzer, as we don't have 6 better receivers. I would hope we have 6 better WR's in camp next year.
    3 ) I would cut Monccreif now, and assure we get a 3rd round comp pick for Bell
    4 ) Ola should get more snaps.
    5 ) Heyward is a team captain and very good player. It would take at least a first round pick before I'm listening to trade offers.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

2-3-4 the answer is "right now," and for 4 you can add "and why aren't you doing that already, shithead??"

Heyward can't really be traded this year; all the restructures we've done on his contract mean we'd eat more dead cap space than we have. I would seriously listen to offers after the season or during the draft only if it could net us a R1.

I think the smart thing to do would be extend Hargrave and move on from Heyward one way or another ... if we can find a creative way to extend Hargrave that lets Hayward finish out his contract in 2021, I'm all for it.

But we have to face the facts - we only get a year or two more of Hayward no matter what we do, because very few defensive linemen continue to play at a high level into their mid-30s. Is it worth giving up 6 or 7 years of Hargrave for that? Not even close.

The problem with this is, for some reason we don't think Hargrave is an every-down player. We use him on like 35% or 40% of snaps, like you'd expect from the big fat-guy nose tackle archetype of 15 years ago, the guy who has to come off the field on passing downs. When he actually is just a good DL in general and he doesn't need to come out of the game. Sure hope they figure that one out.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

1. I’m already shopping Hargrave to a team needing pass rush help for a veteran OL or TE.

2. Not just cutting a guy with returner value.

3. Cut Moncrief and promote Tevin Jones already.

4. I don’t know how much trust Ola has with the coaches/teammates but I give him ALL of Chickillo’s snaps.

5. As for Heyward see Hargrave above. It’s tough to trade away a guy like Heyward but at his age, and if you think Hargrave is a lateral move at worst, the smart move is trade Cam to a contender for a true OT or TE.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I stand pat ... sure we are 0-3 but as it stands right now ... win tomorrow and we are 1 game out of 1st in our division

lets see what happens
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I stand pat ... sure we are 0-3 but as it stands right now ... win tomorrow and we are 1 game out of 1st in our division

lets see what happens
    This except for cutting Moncrief

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

At What Point Would You?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    1. Trade Javon Hargrave?
    2. Cut Switzer?
    3. Cut Moncrief?
    I would consider trading Hargrave at the trade deadline but not for something cheap. Would have to be 3rd or better.

Wouldn’t cut Switzer. He’s nothing special, but he takes care of the ball on special teams and contributes more than Rogers or Moncrief has/does.

Would cut Moncrief ahead of week 10 after I play him and see if he gets out of this funk...if not, I just cut him to save the 3rd round comp pick.

I would’ve started and played Ola a lot more earlier. I’d also cut Chickillo now...or whenever he’s healthy.

Wouldn’t trade Heyward unless it was a package I couldn’t resist...multiple first or second round type picks. Trading Hayward is only going to throw the team into a Miami type funk...players vs. ownership type battles...not interested in seeing that play out at this point because they don’t have a coaching staff that I believe can handle that.j

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Moncrief needs to go soon if we are cutting him before week 10. Get another wr in here and give game reps so he can improve. Hanging on to him till then only hurts the team.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I don't care if Moncrief gets hauled off to the landfill, but I want to keep Switzer. He's not a YAC guy but he runs into traffic, catches the ball, and holds onto it when hit.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    2-3-4 the answer is "right now," and for 4 you can add "and why aren't you doing that already, shithead??"
    4 - Because Ola had knee surgery between the second and third preseason game. Meniscus tear. I know they say you can be back in 3-6 weeks, but mine didn't feel stable for up to a year after I had it. And, I tend to heal pretty fast (or at least I did when I was younger).

For the rest, I wasn't excited when we got moncrief. I agree. Cut him. Now. Give someone. Anyone. A chance to start. At this point, I'd even give AB a chance over moncrief. As for Switzer, meh. He can stay. Only if we get a great opportunity after already getting someone for moncrief would I be for it.

Heyward. I like him. A lot. But the question that we have to ask is, will he mean more us in total over the next five years a player or as a commodity that we spent for a draft pick. At this point, I'm not sure. He's 30 years old. He may go at a high level for another 3-5 years. Or, we may see a downturn starting in a year or two. I think we should listen to offers, but unless it's something that really is too good to pass up, we keep him around.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

The .org guys made trades to keep the team competitive, what your suggesting, specially regarding hargrave and Cam would make the team look stupid. Until Ben retires or shows he can’t play anymore I wouldn’t trade those guys.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I would trade Heyward before Hargrave. Hargrave is younger.

I would trade Moncrief for any round.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    4 - Because Ola had knee surgery between the second and third preseason game. Meniscus tear. I know they say you can be back in 3-6 weeks, but mine didn't feel stable for up to a year after I had it. And, I tend to heal pretty fast (or at least I did when I was younger).

For the rest, I wasn't excited when we got moncrief. I agree. Cut him. Now. Give someone. Anyone. A chance to start. At this point, I'd even give AB a chance over moncrief. As for Switzer, meh. He can stay. Only if we get a great opportunity after already getting someone for moncrief would I be for it.

Heyward. I like him. A lot. But the question that we have to ask is, will he mean more us in total over the next five years a player or as a commodity that we spent for a draft pick. At this point, I'm not sure. He's 30 years old. He may go at a high level for another 3-5 years. Or, we may see a downturn starting in a year or two. I think we should listen to offers, but unless it's something that really is too good to pass up, we keep him around.
    My knee was never the same after my surgery : (
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

From what I understand about the meniscus, it's not like most of the things they do surgery for; basically shaving off damaged cartilege and you don't need to wait to recover from anything other than the incision itself? At least that's what I had always thought. But since I have never had that kind of injury, I can't really say. But anyway, the point is, Ola simply being not ready physically is the only reason I wouldn't be putting him in for a heavy amount of snaps.

You can call me pessimistic, but I would be very surprised if Heyward is productive at anywhere near the same level when he's 34 or 35. No knock on him, that's just what happens at that position. A lot of guys PLAY that long, but the end of their career is like ... struggling along for 3 years at 50% effectiveness, and two of those seasons end with a torn bicep or pectoral muscle. Just seems like that's about the point at which you may still be able to exert an NFL level of strength and quickness on the field, but your frame can no longer withstand doing that. Of course, there are exceptions, but if we are talking an either/or choice, having five years of good production out of Heyward is the much longer longshot. I would love to see him finish his career here, obviously, if we can figure out how to do it without sacrificing too much elsewhere.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    From what I understand about the meniscus, it's not like most of the things they do surgery for; basically shaving off damaged cartilege and you don't need to wait to recover from anything other than the incision itself? At least that's what I had always thought. But since I have never had that kind of injury, I can't really say. But anyway, the point is, Ola simply being not ready physically is the only reason I wouldn't be putting him in for a heavy amount of snaps.

You can call me pessimistic, but I would be very surprised if Heyward is productive at anywhere near the same level when he's 34 or 35. No knock on him, that's just what happens at that position. A lot of guys PLAY that long, but the end of their career is like ... struggling along for 3 years at 50% effectiveness, and two of those seasons end with a torn bicep or pectoral muscle. Just seems like that's about the point at which you may still be able to exert an NFL level of strength and quickness on the field, but your frame can no longer withstand doing that. Of course, there are exceptions, but if we are talking an either/or choice, having five years of good production out of Heyward is the much longer longshot. I would love to see him finish his career here, obviously, if we can figure out how to do it without sacrificing too much elsewhere.
    Especially because he’s due for the dreaded third contract. If team adheres to past patterns that gets done after this season.

I love everything about Heyward and suspect moving him would go over disastrously in the lockeroom but if that meant a top 100 pick AND Hargrave got resigned, it at least needs to be seriously considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

IMPORTANT:
    The trading deadline is after the Steelers have played their 7th game. That’s too early to know anything about the season (unless we are 0-7). The 1995 team started 3-4... and made it to the Super Bowl.

1. Try to re-sign him. If not, when he walks, it will he for BIG money (netting a R3 pick anyway).

2. As soon as someone better is available.

3. Before the 10th game. The comp pick (R3) is more important that anything Moncrief can contribute. Oh, and we cannot trade him; trading him is the same as keeping him (when comp pick math comes into play).

4. Olaqwerty should already be getting a huge number of snaps.

5. You do NOT trade a captain/team leader. It sets a bad precedent.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

1. Hargrave likely is gone after this season. Unless Steelers are 3-3 at bye week trade him if you can get a 3rd round pick

2. Keep Switzer given the lack of alternatives

3. Definitely release Moncrief by week 10 to try and get back in the running for 2020 comp draft pick

4. If Ola’s knee is healthy play him more ASAP - Dupree is not the answer and need to be looking for someone else

5. Hard to see who would want Heyward for a higher draft pick with a $9.5 million salary in 2020 and Heyward is a captain - not going to happen. If Heyward’s play does not pick up the question is whether to negotiate a new deal going into the last year of his contract before the 2020 season.

Steelers are an aging team with a win now mentality that has the minor problem of not having a 2019 roster that can win now.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Steelers are an aging team with a win now mentality that has the minor problem of not having a 2019 roster that can win now.

ohhh really ?

last look only 5 guys over 30 .... 2 of which are 30 on the nut ......

average age of 25.7 years of age putting them at the 14th youngest team in the league ... so that is a long way from Warren Sapps old and slow shit .... Ben brings that average up considerably since he is 37

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-...-2019-edition/

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

ohhh really ?

last look only 5 guys over 30 .... 2 of which are 30 on the nut ......

average age of 25.7 years of age putting them at the 14th youngest team in the league ... so that is a long way from Warren Sapps old and slow shit .... Ben brings that average up considerably since he is 37

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-...-2019-edition/
    Factoring in the age of players who will never start creates a bogus stat - after you get beyond the starting 22 every team is going to be young if only to get under the salary cap

And leave aside the age of the QB if Ben returns - there is age on both units

Steelers' aging defensive line could use some young depth
    https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201903170017

With an aging offensive line, the Steelers might be wise to start adding to the cupboard
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...o-the-cupboard

This team is in a win now mode for reasons other than every team wanting to win now - only two players on this team who would be regarded as top shelf and not being on the back nine of their careers are Watt and JuJu (and whether it is no AB or an offense in which Rudolph only threw three passes last night that were in the air for more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage, JuJu currently is not playing at or above his standard of the past two years). Minkah and Bush hopefully will be added to that list of top shelf players in the near future but neither has played enough to be there yet.

IMO Colbert has not been dealing like this because he wants to try to preserve Tomlin's no losing season streak

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

I would marry Heyward, fuck Switzer and kill Moncrief

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    I would marry Heyward, fuck Switzer and kill Moncrief
    Winner.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Factoring in the age of players who will never start creates a bogus stat - after you get beyond the starting 22 every team is going to be young if only to get under the salary cap

And leave aside the age of the QB if Ben returns - there is age on both units

Steelers' aging defensive line could use some young depth
    https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201903170017

With an aging offensive line, the Steelers might be wise to start adding to the cupboard
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...o-the-cupboard

This team is in a win now mode for reasons other than every team wanting to win now - only two players on this team who would be regarded as top shelf and not being on the back nine of their careers are Watt and JuJu (and whether it is no AB or an offense in which Rudolph only threw three passes last night that were in the air for more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage, JuJu currently is not playing at or above his standard of the past two years). Minkah and Bush hopefully will be added to that list of top shelf players in the near future but neither has played enough to be there yet.

IMO Colbert has not been dealing like this because he wants to try to preserve Tomlin's no losing season streak

still not a buyer Dan ...

Tuitt is in his prime ( playing his best ball of his career RIGHT NOW )

Hargrave is still on his rookie deal ......

so that leaves 1 older guy Heyward ....

2/3 of that line is young

Ray Fittapaldo is a thief getting paid to write that shit

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    IMPORTANT:
    The trading deadline is after the Steelers have played their 7th game. That’s too early to know anything about the season (unless we are 0-7). The 1995 team started 3-4... and made it to the Super Bowl.

1. Try to re-sign him. If not, when he walks, it will he for BIG money (netting a R3 pick anyway).

2. As soon as someone better is available.

3. Before the 10th game. The comp pick (R3) is more important that anything Moncrief can contribute. Oh, and we cannot trade him; trading him is the same as keeping him (when comp pick math comes into play).

4. Olaqwerty should already be getting a huge number of snaps.

5. You do NOT trade a captain/team leader. It sets a bad precedent.
    I agree with all of this.

The only reason I might wait a few weeks on cutting Moncrief is in case one of our WRs gets hurt.