Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious question If Rudolph keeps struggling, do we dare play Devlin Hodges?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Serious question If Rudolph keeps struggling, do we dare play Devlin Hodges?

Rudolph is locking on to one receiver too often. He's not fast, he doesn't have a big arm, and he's really fumble prone. On the other hand he's a leader and can be accurate with a nice touch on the deep ball. Overall, I'd say he's a back up.

But the question remains can we win Rudolph, the way we won with say Charlie Batch when he had to play? I'm not sure. What I am sure of is many rookie QB's and 2nd year QB's are getting better results, and indication that Rudolph isn't in their class.

If Rudolph struggles, do the Steelers dare play Hodges? IMO Hodges has the better arm, better legs, and seems just as accurate. In camp his accuracy was excellent. One writer said, Hodges 71.8% completion rate in camp was the highest he's seen in the six years he has tracked camp stats, and that includes six years with Ben. Impressive.

If the season is lost due to an 0-4 or 1-4 start, I want to find out if Hodges can play and to do that he needs to start a game or two. The question is does Tomlin have the stones or brains to do this?

Senior Member Array title="SteeleReign is a name known to all">

Re: Serious question If Rudolph keeps struggling, do we dare play Devlin Hodges?

It's going to take a LOT more than an 0-4 start (two losses against Rudolph) before we see Hodges.

Give the kid more time to develop than 2.5 games. Geesh.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Serious question If Rudolph keeps struggling, do we dare play Devlin Hodges?

He started his first NFL game last week and score two TD. I think I'd at least give him a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
    It's going to take a LOT more than an 0-4 start (two losses against Rudolph) before we see Hodges.

Give the kid more time to develop than 2.5 games. Geesh.

Okay, our bye week is week #7. If Rudolph isn't getting the job done, then this is the perfect time for a switch. This would give him 6 games played. IMO enough to evaluate what he can and cannot do.

Agreed?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Fichtner blows...it’s obvious as he’s running the same exact plays with Rudolph that he ran with Ben. Mistake number one...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Fichtner blows...it’s obvious as he’s running the same exact plays with Rudolph that he ran with Ben. Mistake number one...
    I rewatched the game, Rudolph is locked on one receiver too often, and throwing it short, which kills our running game. He really doesn't buy himself a 2nd chance often, and we punt a lot with him. We play a terrible Cincinnati team at home Monday night. Well see how he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Okay, our bye week is week #7. If Rudolph isn't getting the job done, then this is the perfect time for a switch. This would give him 6 games played. IMO enough to evaluate what he can and cannot do.

Agreed?
    Maybe, but not likely. What metrics are you using to evaluate?

What if the o-line continues to regress, and the running game suffers, and the coaches continue to put him in difficult situations?

What if the defense puts us in a hole and the offense has to abandon the running game?

What if our special teams can't give him decent field position?

I think there are far too many issues with the team to put too much weight on Rudolph's performance.

If he comes out and throws 4-5 picks a game and can't move the ball because he's missing open receivers, then MAYBE you take a look at Hodges. But I haven't seen any evidence so far that Mason will play that poorly.

I rewatched the game, Rudolph is locked on one receiver too often, and throwing it short, which kills our running game. He really doesn't buy himself a 2nd chance often, and we punt a lot with him. We play a terrible Cincinnati team at home Monday night. Well see how he does.
    Of course he is.. He's just getting started. Young QBs all tend to lock on to their early reads. Give him time to let the game slow down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
    Maybe, but not likely. What metrics are you using to evaluate?

What if the o-line continues to regress, and the running game suffers, and the coaches continue to put him in difficult situations?

What if the defense puts us in a hole and the offense has to abandon the running game?

What if our special teams can't give him decent field position?

I think there are far too many issues with the team to put too much weight on Rudolph's performance.

If he comes out and throws 4-5 picks a game and can't move the ball because he's missing open receivers, then MAYBE you take a look at Hodges. But I haven't seen any evidence so far that Mason will play that poorly.

If the OL has issues, a more mobile QB that's hard to sack is a need. Rudolph has had fumble issues dating back to his college days. While he can hit the big play, he isn't a chain mover and we punt a lot because of it, giving the other team good good field position. Hodges spreads the field a bit better and was more accurate, at least in camp.

I don't think Rudolph will throw 4 picks a game. Maybe it's the reality the season is pretty much lost, but if Rudolph is just mediocre on one game and poor on the next, I want to see Hodges play. If Hodges plays well in games, most of you guys will give up on Rudolph quickly. As I said before rookie QB's and 2nd year QB's are showing much more.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Steeler fans sure have become fickle. Just relax and let the season play out. The only way Rudolph comes out is due to injury.

If the OL has issues, a more mobile QB that's hard to sack is a need. Rudolph has had fumble issues dating back to his college days. While he can hit the big play, he isn't a chain mover and we punt a lot because of it, giving the other team good good field position. Hodges spreads the field a bit better and was more accurate, at least in camp.

I don't think Rudolph will throw 4 picks a game. Maybe it's the reality the season is pretty much lost, but if Rudolph is just mediocre on one game and poor on the next, I want to see Hodges play. If Hodges plays well in games, most of you guys will give up on Rudolph quickly. As I said before rookie QB's and 2nd year QB's are showing much more.
    Yes, some of them are, but there are too many variables to assume that Rudolph is the problem.

Hodges looked good in camp, yes, but against 3/4 stringers. And Rudolph actually looked better.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Fumble prone ?

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Wow only one complete game and already talking about the backup??? The patience level of some people is amazing. For all intent and purpose Mason is basically a rookie QB, give it some time.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I'm a big Hodges supporter but yea way to soon to give up on Rudolph and think it is more on the coaches then Rudolph's play. OL is to blame also but am curious to see how Hodges would fair but not now.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

So Minkah has started one game as well. I think we need to start thinking about Hilton at FS.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Rudolph is locking on to one receiver too often. He's not fast, he doesn't have a big arm, and he's really fumble prone. On the other hand he's a leader and can be accurate with a nice touch on the deep ball. Overall, I'd say he's a back up.
    That’s quite a thorough scouting report for a kid who just started his first game. Like fumble “prone.” Seems that a bigger sample size might be needed to determine proneness.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Rudolph and Hodges earned their respective spots in the pecking order during the preseason. There's a reason "Duck" is 3rd (or even 4th) in line.
    Don't expect the Steelers to play 'musical quarterbacks' out of desperation. Barring injury or an established pattern of suckage, Rudolph is the starter. Behind him... might actually be Paxton Lynch
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Wow only one complete game and already talking about the backup??? The patience level of some people is amazing. For all intent and purpose Mason is basically a rookie QB, give it some time.
    You’re talking about a fan base who wanted to run Terry Bradshaw out of town after 1-2 years. Who was a trainwrekck starting out and played ten times worse than what Rudy is doing now.

The Steelers gave the likes Of Mark Malone and Kordell Stewart at least five years before pulling the plug on them for good. Likewise with Landry Jones. Even Ben had games and stretches where he was subpar. Never benched once.

Mason in one and a half games has played better than any new Steelers quarterback in years. I think he’s earned his shot.

It will take nothing short of an unmitigated disaster like a horrific injury for Rudolph to be benched this season. Ever. For the foreseeable future until Ben returns, he’s our quarterback. Ride or die.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I think Hodges is there in case of injury only. Rudolph would have to REALLY suck in order for that idea to get consideration, like 0-8 or something. And by then, what's even the point - the season is done anyway and there's not even draft order to consider this time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

As I said before rookie QB's and 2nd year QB's are showing much more.
    If you're expecting Mahomes (and I strongly suspect you are), you're being unrealistic.

Rudolph is quite far down the list of reasons this team has dropped the last 2 games which were both quite winnable.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That could be by design as well. A lot of times, they’ll only let young QBs utilize a third to two-thirds if the field. It’s not helping that they are running Roethlisberger’s “playground offense”. Works great for Ben...not such a great fit for Rudolph’s style.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    That’s what we call a QB-Controversy...lol

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    So Minkah has started one game as well. I think we need to start thinking about Hilton at FS.
    Maybe. Then put Minkah at QB.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

That could be by design as well. A lot of times, they’ll only let young QBs utilize a third to two-thirds if the field. It’s not helping that they are running Roethlisberger’s “playground offense”. Works great for Ben...not such a great fit for Rudolph’s style.
    They babied Rudolph against the 49ers last week and wouldn't let him play his Rudolph game. Did the same shit last year with Dobbs against Oakland. I get tired of that pussy ass coaching and let them play and see how they respond.
    Last edited by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue; 09-28-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Rudolph is not struggling. He played ok overall.

playcalling struggled, offensive line struggled, defense struggled at times.

I think they’re on the right track getting a TE who can block. Maybe also communicate to the QB what he can do

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

sink or swim with Mason ... if he is the guy we will find out before the season is over , if he isnt we will also likely know
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

This is the most ridiculous thread in awhile . . .

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    This is the most ridiculous thread in awhile . . .
    I agree, Jasom Worlidong thinks that it lacks the suddenness and glide of more credible threads on this board.

To be honest, that was one of the other knocks on him I read. But, but wasn't as prevalent. In truth, I think that will come with time. He has to get used to the speed and trusting his receivers will be where they need to be when they need to be there. Can't really get that in the first game or two.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Truly amazing a few are ready to give up on a guy after 1 start. I would say he played great against Seattle, last week played poor. He can make the throws he has proven that in 2 games. too many read his nfl draft profile and one guy says his arm is weak and now they jump on bandwagon. Dudes arm is far from weak. The O line looked like the line from 10 years ago and no help from running game or TE. I still say he's better QB than Mayfield. Baker has weapons at every position and still sucks. Theres no point in giving up on a guy if eliminated from playoffs, use the rest of season for growth and improvement. Ive heard of a short leash but jesus this is ridiculous.