Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Serious question If Rudolph keeps struggling, do we dare play Devlin Hodges?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Serious question If Rudolph keeps struggling, do we dare play Devlin Hodges?

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    This is the most ridiculous thread in awhile . . .
    Indeed!

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: Serious question If Rudolph keeps struggling, do we dare play Devlin Hodges?

Let him play the entire season.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Indeed!
    Why is it even a question??????????

Unless Rudolph gets hurt, he plays. That's why we drafted him.

Member Array title="Blast Furnace is on a distinguished road">

How about we see if they can fix the issues at our OLine, then see if our coaches can actually create a decent game plan, before we decide anything. These coaches need to learn how to utilize their player to their fullest. How about moving JuJu into the slot as well and putting Rudolph under center for play action? That might help him a bit too!

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    If you're expecting Mahomes (and I strongly suspect you are), you're being unrealistic.

Rudolph is quite far down the list of reasons this team has dropped the last 2 games which were both quite winnable.

I think everyone is confused with my position. I see rookie QB's and many 2nd year QB's outshining Rudolph. What does that say about Rudolph?

I'm not for starring Hodges on Monday night, but if Rudolph remains inconsistent, I'd do it at the bye week. That's a big enough sample for me.

Hodges never got a chance with the 1st string team, but he did some impressive things in camp and the pre-season games with the 2nd and 3rd string OL. In my opinion, he sees the field better, gets the ball out of his hands quicker, runs better, and has a stronger arm. Moving around better and getting the ball of out your hands better is important with a suddenly leaky offensive line.

Hodges could very well be better. And let's be honest with ourselves, this season is very much about finding Ben's replace if he's on the team and developing the younger guys. I want to see OLA, and GIlbert more on defense. I want to see Buggs play more on defense. On offense, is something up with Conner or not? The younger WR's need more time. Do we even have a 2nd TE?

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

IMO it's not Mason's fault. Blame lies on the shitty OC.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Truly amazing a few are ready to give up on a guy after 1 start. I would say he played great against Seattle, last week played poor. He can make the throws he has proven that in 2 games. too many read his nfl draft profile and one guy says his arm is weak and now they jump on bandwagon. Dudes arm is far from weak. The O line looked like the line from 10 years ago and no help from running game or TE. I still say he's better QB than Mayfield. Baker has weapons at every position and still sucks. Theres no point in giving up on a guy if eliminated from playoffs, use the rest of season for growth and improvement. Ive heard of a short leash but jesus this is ridiculous.
    He had a good game against Seattle. I also agree with you for last week. I would disagree that he has proven he can make the throws. I'd say he can make some, probably even most throws. But he hasn't proven he can make all the throws. On the other hand, it's only fair to give him all season long before we start expecting him to make all the throws since he's not someone who can just put more velocity on the ball and get it through a tight window. He has to relearn timing at this level. That takes time. So, yes. Give him a full season.

As for his draft profile, I have a different thread showing that it was far more than one guy saying something about his arm. However, no one was saying his arm was weak. They were saying it was below average. To me, there's a difference.

As for the O line and running game, the problem isn't there. The problem is the other team lining up 9 men in the box and daring Rudolph to throw over their heads. Until he does that consistently we're going to keep seeing the same thing over and over. The one player that could have helped us in this situation is gone. So, it all falls to Rudolph now to take the pressure off the line by taking the lid off and hitting deeper throws. Why didn't that happen last game? Don't know. Was it Rudolph? Maybe. Was it coaching? Maybe. I'm more likely at this point to put it on coaching because we saw the exact same thing the year before with Dobbs.

However, I agree with you about this season. Regardless of where we end up, this is the season to find out if Rudolph can carry the load when Ben is gone. And, that's one of the reasons I didn't like the 1st round pick going for Minkah. Because if Rudolph doesn't do well and we need a new QB, we'd also be in a place to get one (we can trade this year for next year if we didn't like the QBs this year). Not that I didn't like the fact we got Minkah. It's just that trade brought up feelings of the mistakes that were made in the 90s (too little concern or focus on the QB) without the benefit of a run game that can cover for it to a point.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I think everyone is confused with my position. I see rookie QB's and many 2nd year QB's outshining Rudolph. What does that say about Rudolph?

I'm not for starring Hodges on Monday night, but if Rudolph remains inconsistent, I'd do it at the bye week. That's a big enough sample for me.

Hodges never got a chance with the 1st string team, but he did some impressive things in camp and the pre-season games with the 2nd and 3rd string OL. In my opinion, he sees the field better, gets the ball out of his hands quicker, runs better, and has a stronger arm. Moving around better and getting the ball of out your hands better is important with a suddenly leaky offensive line.

Hodges could very well be better. And let's be honest with ourselves, this season is very much about finding Ben's replace if he's on the team and developing the younger guys. I want to see OLA, and GIlbert more on defense. I want to see Buggs play more on defense. On offense, is something up with Conner or not? The younger WR's need more time. Do we even have a 2nd TE?
    I agree about Hodges and seen what you seen in him. I still think Rudolph maybe good also. Coaching staff needs to take the training wheels off of Rudolph so we can better evaluate him.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I agree about Hodges and seen what you seen in him. I still think Rudolph maybe good also. Coaching staff needs to take the training wheels off of Rudolph so we can better evaluate him.
    We don't agree often, but this is absolutely right on.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

As long as he’s healthy you play him every down in every game.
    No better way to see if he can be a franchise QB.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    We don't agree often, but this is absolutely right on.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Outside of Mahomes, I really haven't seen any very young QBs who have greatly distinguished themselves and are ready to take the baton away from Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Roethlisberger.

Mayfield? From everything I've seen and heard, he's more hype than anything. Same goes for Goff.

Granted, I don't pay nearly as much attention to the NFL outside of the Steelers as I used to, but again, outside of Mahomes, I've seen a whole lot of "meh" out of the new young QBs from what I have seen.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If Ben were not injured Rudolph would still be his backup. Hodges would still be on the PS.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    If Ben were not injured Rudolph would still be his backup. Hodges would still be on the PS.
    And Lynch would be collecting unemployment. So what is the point ?

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    He had a good game against Seattle. I also agree with you for last week. I would disagree that he has proven he can make the throws. I'd say he can make some, probably even most throws. But he hasn't proven he can make all the throws. On the other hand, it's only fair to give him all season long before we start expecting him to make all the throws since he's not someone who can just put more velocity on the ball and get it through a tight window. He has to relearn timing at this level. That takes time. So, yes. Give him a full season.

As for his draft profile, I have a different thread showing that it was far more than one guy saying something about his arm. However, no one was saying his arm was weak. They were saying it was below average. To me, there's a difference.

As for the O line and running game, the problem isn't there. The problem is the other team lining up 9 men in the box and daring Rudolph to throw over their heads. Until he does that consistently we're going to keep seeing the same thing over and over. The one player that could have helped us in this situation is gone. So, it all falls to Rudolph now to take the pressure off the line by taking the lid off and hitting deeper throws. Why didn't that happen last game? Don't know. Was it Rudolph? Maybe. Was it coaching? Maybe. I'm more likely at this point to put it on coaching because we saw the exact same thing the year before with Dobbs.

However, I agree with you about this season. Regardless of where we end up, this is the season to find out if Rudolph can carry the load when Ben is gone. And, that's one of the reasons I didn't like the 1st round pick going for Minkah. Because if Rudolph doesn't do well and we need a new QB, we'd also be in a place to get one (we can trade this year for next year if we didn't like the QBs this year). Not that I didn't like the fact we got Minkah. It's just that trade brought up feelings of the mistakes that were made in the 90s (too little concern or focus on the QB) without the benefit of a run game that can cover for it to a point.
    You may be right about why running game sucks, until mason beats a D ,stop run. Makes sense, with that said if they don’t run shit load of play action tomorrow Steelers coaches suck worse than I thought. This should be a telling game as far as coaching and what Rudolph can do after 2 weeks of starting reps and preparation. I am less worried about D , I think they get better every week.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    No.
    Simple, straightforward answer....I like it.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Keep playing Mason and, the Steelers need to see what he can do.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Right now, Rudolph's problems are all from the neck up. He is slow to process, is making one, maybe two, reads, failing to get deep into his progressions, and is not recognizing changes in defensive coverages post-snap. Those are all hard things to do at the NFL level and take time.

What has anyone seen that would indicate a QB coming from a lower level of college competition and only having played against 3-4th string training camp competition (so NO scheme) would be any better at any of the mental stuff?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Right now, Rudolph's problems are all from the neck up. He is slow to process, is making one, maybe two, reads, failing to get deep into his progressions, and is not recognizing changes in defensive coverages post-snap. Those are all hard things to do at the NFL level and take time.

What has anyone seen that would indicate a QB coming from a lower level of college competition and only having played against 3-4th string training camp competition (so NO scheme) would be any better at any of the mental stuff?

It completely unfathomable that a quarterback making his first live NFL action ever would be a tad slow to the speed of the game.

And yet despite all of the struggle, Mason gave the Steelers a Lead in the final minutes before Conner botched everything. What you view as a negative, I view it as a positive that shows Mason’s preparation. Never once did it look like he was out of his element or he didn’t know what he was doing. Mason’s lack of upper echelon talent reared it’s ugly head many times, but he hung in there.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

no, just no.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    It completely unfathomable that a quarterback making his first live NFL action ever would be a tad slow to the speed of the game.

And yet despite all of the struggle, Mason gave the Steelers a Lead in the final minutes before Conner botched everything. What you view as a negative, I view it as a positive that shows Mason’s preparation. Never once did it look like he was out of his element or he didn’t know what he was doing. Mason’s lack of upper echelon talent reared it’s ugly head many times, but he hung in there.
    Never said it was a positive or a negative. I think that Rudolph has plenty of physical ability to be an average to above average starter in the NFL. But he is just not ready for the mental speed of the game. That is consistent with every rookie QB ever. Even guys that have some success, like Mayfield at the end of last season, often hit a wall (Mayfield is now a one read and improvise QB). It takes a great deal of time and reps to understand how to work your way through what an NFL defense is showing you versus what they are actually doing.

Not a knock on Rudolph at all. Just a statement of fact. He needs all the reps he can get in order to get quicker at processing things.

I think Rudolph bench talk should stop for this week.

He was excellent tonight.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Ben still hates him...I saw it. I saw Ben resist hitting him with his cast...seriously...if you look, The hate is there. Ben didn’t run on the field with his cast to hug Rudolph. High fives are meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Trade Rudolph for a 3rd and a 5th!

Agreed and Samuels was huge in this game and gave Rudolph the help he needed.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Samuels plays with an edge. He's always jawing with someone on the defense. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Ben still hates him...I saw it. I saw Ben resist hitting him with his cast...seriously...if you look, The hate is there. Ben didn’t run on the field with his cast to hug Rudolph. High fives are meaningless.
    Coach Ben should be a quarterbacks coach should be retire. He's pretty good at it.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Okay, but does that mean we can stop the fire Tomlin talk for a week?

I’m just kidding. That would be crazy.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

They were all dong yards!