Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since apparently we need a Moncreif thread...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Since apparently we need a Moncreif thread...

Any thoughts on WR Donte Moncreif?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Since apparently we need a Moncreif thread...

I have no real opinion on him.

We don’t know what he can do, because he never catches the ball in order to show what he can do.

Therefore he’s useless.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If the choice is Moncrief, even at his best, during a lost season or a 2020 3rd round pick — well then cut him ASAP. Then scour the waiver wire and recent releases for a young WR or two.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If the choice is Moncrief, even at his best, during a lost season or a 2020 3rd round pick — well then cut him ASAP. Then scour the waiver wire and recent releases for a young WR or two.
    As Mojouw states, and is discussed in the Barron is worthless thread, apparently with Fort being cut by the Eagles the Steelers for now will not receive a compensatory third round pick in the 2020 draft, even with Bell signing with the Jets, unless they balance out Fort being cut by the Eagles by cutting Moncrief before week 10

For the 2019 off-season, the Steelers lost three eligible players (Bell, James, and Fort) while they signed CB Steven Nelson and WR Donte Moncrief....

The Steelers had been predicted to be in line for a third-round choice because the signing of Steven Nelson was not designated in a high enough round to cancel Le’Veon Bell. Therefore Nelson canceled the loss of Jesse James and Moncrief canceled the loss of L.J. Fort....

So what can the Steelers do to continue to be in line for a third-round compensatory pick? There is really only one solution: release Steve Nelson or Donte Moncrief before week 10.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...pensatory-pick

Without the Steelers burning draft choices off to try and keep the 2019 season afloat there was no compelling reason to not wait until after the season to decide what to do with Moncrief (who presumably was gone at that point just as the Steelers cut bait on the failed Bostic and Burnett 2018 signings).

That has now changed with Colbert dealing over the past two weeks - I say Moncrief goes before Thanksgiving given the current cost/benefit of keeping him around all season

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

We kept one too many receivers this year, so we don't really "need" him.

He has 3 catches for 7 yards. Literally as many drops as yards.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    As Mojouw states, and is discussed in the Barron is worthless thread, apparently with Fort being cut by the Eagles the Steelers for now will not receive a compensatory third round pick in the 2020 draft, even with Bell signing with the Jets, unless they balance out Fort being cut by the Eagles by cutting Moncrief before week 10

For the 2019 off-season, the Steelers lost three eligible players (Bell, James, and Fort) while they signed CB Steven Nelson and WR Donte Moncrief....

The Steelers had been predicted to be in line for a third-round choice because the signing of Steven Nelson was not designated in a high enough round to cancel Le’Veon Bell. Therefore Nelson canceled the loss of Jesse James and Moncrief canceled the loss of L.J. Fort....

So what can the Steelers do to continue to be in line for a third-round compensatory pick? There is really only one solution: release Steve Nelson or Donte Moncrief before week 10.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...pensatory-pick

Without the Steelers burning draft choices off to try and keep the 2019 season afloat there was no compelling reason to not wait until after the season to decide what to do with Moncrief (who presumably was gone at that point just as the Steelers cut bait on the failed Bostic and Burnett 2018 signings).

That has now changed with Colbert dealing over the past two weeks - I say Moncrief goes before Thanksgiving given the current cost/benefit of keeping him around all season
    Is cutting Moncreif now essentially trading him for a 3rd round comp draft pick?

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

no brainer after reading article on compensatory picks. It was actually a no brainer after week 2, get rid of him. 3 round pick next year more valuable than WR with brick hands. I really do like the fact that the Steelers have brought FA's in the last few years where they had holes and weakness, the law of averages says one of them should have panned out, unfortunately Bostic, Burnett, Moncrief , and Barron have all been busts. I will say atleast there contracts were meant for cut and running which is what I hope they do.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Is cutting Moncreif now essentially trading him for a 3rd round comp draft pick?
    Assuming the linked article is accurate pretty much. I suppose there is an additional potential downside to releasing him before the end of the season in the event Moncrief might get out of Tomlin's dog house and be a productive WR after that in meaningful games.

Since there is no need to release him now and the season is not officially toast until the Steelers lose either the Bengals or Ravens home game over the next two weeks presumably no need to do anything before Halloween. But if Moncrief is not active the next two weeks, why wait even if the Steelers are 2-3 at that point

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I play him a couple weeks, see if things turn around, see if Fort gets re-signed and if he doesn’t improve, then let him go. No need to panic...there’s plenty of time. Worst would be if the Steelers cut him and the Eagles re-sign Fort and add Moncrief.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Can we bring back Sammie Coates?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Can we bring back Sammie Coates?

He's available. I think the Chiefs cut him and nobody picked him up.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    He's available. I think the Chiefs cut him and nobody picked him up.
    Let's cut Coates' fingers off and implant them on Moncreif and maybe between the 20, there will be 10 fingers that work well enough to catch a ball.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

No, it's a black box and who knows what you'll get. You might get a fifth-round pick, you might get nothing.

Any time someone argues, "We should do X because we'll get a third-round comp pick" or "We shouldn't do Y because then we won't get a third-round comp pick," you can immediately ignore it because nobody has any clue what you'll actually get. It's just wishful thinking to throw out there as a free extra bargaining point for whatever position you happen to hold.

Like, if I understand even remotely how the system is supposed to work IN THEORY, you get a third-round pick for a superstar who signs a giant contract somewhere else. If everything is in balance now, or maybe we're getting a Mr. irrelevant pick, Moncrief's salary is not going to make the jump all the way from nothing to a 3rd. Moncrief and Barron together, maybe you get close. Or maybe you still get nothing.

I would dump both those players ASAP because they're hot garbage, but the comp pick should never be a consideration. NO certainty, can be changed by unrelated transactions, and it's not that great of a payoff anyway. About the only thing that's certain every year is that most teams get everything consolidated into one comp pick, maybe two, and the Patriots get it all spread out into like four 5th and 6th-round picks for some reason.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Let's cut Coates' fingers off and implant them on Moncreif and maybe between the 20, there will be 10 fingers that work well enough to catch a ball.
    Maybe we can try this with Burns too so that he can cover better.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Frankenstein's monster wide receiver!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Yeah but you're just replacing crooked fingers w/more crooked fingers!

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Bottom line is, he is a Vet WR that has more drops than total yards after 3 games. He is not our #2 (or top 5 at this point). There is no need for him at this point. Maybe it’s his broken fingers, maybe not. He was never all that good in Jax, but I hoped it was because he never had a QB. Obviously it had to do with him also.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    No, it's a black box and who knows what you'll get. You might get a fifth-round pick, you might get nothing.

Any time someone argues, "We should do X because we'll get a third-round comp pick" or "We shouldn't do Y because then we won't get a third-round comp pick," you can immediately ignore it because nobody has any clue what you'll actually get. It's just wishful thinking to throw out there as a free extra bargaining point for whatever position you happen to hold.

Like, if I understand even remotely how the system is supposed to work IN THEORY, you get a third-round pick for a superstar who signs a giant contract somewhere else. If everything is in balance now, or maybe we're getting a Mr. irrelevant pick, Moncrief's salary is not going to make the jump all the way from nothing to a 3rd. Moncrief and Barron together, maybe you get close. Or maybe you still get nothing.

I would dump both those players ASAP because they're hot garbage, but the comp pick should never be a consideration. NO certainty, can be changed by unrelated transactions, and it's not that great of a payoff anyway. About the only thing that's certain every year is that most teams get everything consolidated into one comp pick, maybe two, and the Patriots get it all spread out into like four 5th and 6th-round picks for some reason.
    BUT......but the internet says all we have to do is cut Moncreif before week 10 and that would put us in line for a 3rd round comp pick. What I don't get is why does Fort, Moncrief, or any other player and what they are doing this season have anything to do with where Bell's comp pick lands. Seems if I really wanted to do nothing but screw over another team would be to sign all of their cuts and FAs and then cut them myself midseason so they get zero comp picks for them. If we cut Burns(1st round pick) and nobody signs him, there is no comp pick for that? That explains a lot actually.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Thoughts? Are you kidding? I would have cut him from the roster 2 weeks ago. That would be addition by subtraction. Receivers that drop more passes than they catch aren't going to suddenly become Jerry Rice

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Cut Moncrief and sign DeMarcus Ayers. He was last playing with the San Antonio Commanders and as far as I know still a free agent. Thoughts?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Cut Moncrief and bring back AB!!!!

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Cut Moncrief and bring back AB!!!!
    Cut Fichtner and bring back Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Cut Fichtner and bring back Todd.
    BOTH!!! I’m all in!! Haley is a fan of Rudolph from what he has said on the radio! Let’s get it done...then AB can take it to mayfield!!

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    BOTH!!! I’m all in!! Haley is a fan of Rudolph from what he has said on the radio! Let’s get it done...then AB can take it to mayfield!!
    If they did bring Haley back Ben would retire the next day. I'm cool with that though and we are not winning another SB with Ben.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

If the Steeler cut him they get a 3rd round comp pick for Bell. If they don't its a 4-5th round comp pick.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

PSA of the day.......and gentle, loving reminder.

No, we don't need a "thread for any thing and everything involving this player" type of posting system. Not going to happen.

This thread is fun and games but anything involving this player and a real new story line gets a new thread and the old thread dies in cyber space.

Except for AB....keep that shit bundled.

Carry on......

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The guy listed on that tweet above is pretty credible/extremely accurate.

So, expect Moncrief to be cut (at the latest by Week 10).

SIDE-NOTE: Diontae Spencer had a nice punt return last week.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The guy listed on that tweet above is pretty credible/extremely accurate.

So, expect Moncrief to be cut (at the latest by Week 10).

SIDE-NOTE: Diontae Spencer had a nice punt return last week.
    Speaking of the Broncos, they are having a lot of the same woes the Steelers are. I wonder what the Steelers may have to trade for Fumagalli. Maybe deep ball Moncrief to pair with moon ball Joe? He doesn't have to catch it just make sure there is contact. Could this be a good value with Hargrave's expiring contract? Broncos have zero or very few QB sacks on the season through 3 games. Try to get something for these guys that will not be back. Davis, Burns, Barron, Hargrave, Dupree, Moncrief, etc.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Cut stone hands and, bring Eli Rogers back.

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

Speaking of the Broncos, they are having a lot of the same woes the Steelers are. I wonder what the Steelers may have to trade for Fumagalli. Maybe deep ball Moncrief to pair with moon ball Joe? He doesn't have to catch it just make sure there is contact. Could this be a good value with Hargrave's expiring contract? Broncos have zero or very few QB sacks on the season through 3 games. Try to get something for these guys that will not be back. Davis, Burns, Barron, Hargrave, Dupree, Moncrief, etc.
    Go all in! Trade our 2021 1st for Von Miller!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk