Thread: 2020 and Beyond Cap Stuff

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

2020 and Beyond Cap Stuff

I think it was AtlantaDan who posted somewhere about the cap space for 2020 and beyond. At first glance it doesn't look good at all! Something like $5 million or less. I'm just assuming the internet has the right numbers and did no comparisons across sites.

But, looking at this table, I think there are some pretty easy cuts that free up a decent amount of money: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

Barron and Chickillo free up almost $10 million in cap dollars.
    Moncrief is another $4 million.

Not sure I understand it, but using this tool: https://overthecap.com/calculator/pittsburgh-steelers/

I simply cut the three guys mentioned above and "Presto"! $16 million dollars in cap space.

I realize it is far too early to worry about any of this, but interesting side note.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: 2020 and Beyond Cap Stuff

It is downright amazing to me that $21 million of Tony Brown's dead money is freed up next year, as well as $9M for Dupree ... and Bell's $14.5M carried over this year, and Shazier's $9M deal ended ... and we've got guys on rookie contracts at all the offensive skill positions as well as edge rusher, both safeties, and NT ... and all of our cap room this year and next year is already spent ... on what, exactly?

Oh well, time to get out the restructure wand, surely that'll fix everything.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    It is downright amazing to me that $21 million of Tony Brown's dead money is freed up next year, as well as $9M for Dupree ... and Bell's $14.5M carried over this year, and Shazier's $9M deal ended ... and we've got guys on rookie contracts at all the offensive skill positions as well as edge rusher, both safeties, and NT ... and all of our cap room this year and next year is already spent ... on what, exactly?

Oh well, time to get out the restructure wand, surely that'll fix everything.
    Look at 2022. Steelers compressed all of the money on almost everyone's deal to end after the 2021 season. After that they can resign guys if the want, or blow it up and start over.

Plus $16 million allows them to go out and sign almost anyone they want in 2020. Maybe not Hargrave, but a TE or WR perhaps.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think it was AtlantaDan who posted somewhere about the cap space for 2020 and beyond. At first glance it doesn't look good at all! Something like $5 million or less. I'm just assuming the internet has the right numbers and did no comparisons across sites.

But, looking at this table, I think there are some pretty easy cuts that free up a decent amount of money: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

Barron and Chickillo free up almost $10 million in cap dollars.
    Moncrief is another $4 million.

Not sure I understand it, but using this tool: https://overthecap.com/calculator/pittsburgh-steelers/

I simply cut the three guys mentioned above and "Presto"! $16 million dollars in cap space.

I realize it is far too early to worry about any of this, but interesting side note.
    JuJu is the big additional hit to next year's cap since he will be signed before the 2020 season starts or test free agency after 2020 - only a $1.14 million cap hit in 2019

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...chuster-21804/

IMO Hargrave will test free agency rather than just sign - as discussed previously, Sean Davis can/will walk or sign for backup $$$

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    JuJu is the big additional hit to next year's cap since he will be signed before the 2020 season starts or test free agency after 2020 - only a $1.14 million cap hit in 2019

IMO Hargrave will test free agency rather than just sign - as discussed previously, Sean Davis can/will walk or sign for backup $$$
    I forgot about that. No option year because of a second round pick. Should've remembered.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

Honestly, one thing I would like to see out of the rest of this season is a referendum on which (if any) of the new receivers might be the Next Big Thing. There are three of them; we get lucky and we might not even need Juju. Which could be a good or a bad thing, because this season is also a referendum on whether Juju really has what it takes to be an elite #1 receiver, or only excels with help.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Honestly, one thing I would like to see out of the rest of this season is a referendum on which (if any) of the new receivers might be the Next Big Thing. There are three of them; we get lucky and we might not even need Juju. Which could be a good or a bad thing, because this season is also a referendum on whether Juju really has what it takes to be an elite #1 receiver, or only excels with help.
    That is also a really good point. I wouldn't pay Juju top $$$ at this point.

Good lord. What if we have to admit that it was AB and not Ben and not the system that churned out all those stats over the last however many years. I gonna go hit myself in the face with a brick for a little bit.

Good lord. What if we have to admit that it was AB and not Ben and not the system that churned out all those stats over the last however many years. I gonna go hit myself in the face with a brick for a little bit.
    Relax, it was Ben for the most part (look at how other QBs performed in his place, it was downright ugly). I do think that Ben started to slip a little bit over the past two or three seasons, though, gradually turning into more of a chucker - and that's where having a star receiver covered up some of the problems. You have to wonder whether whatever caused this injury had been affecting his throws for a while now.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Relax, it was Ben for the most part (look at how other QBs performed in his place, it was downright ugly). I do think that Ben started to slip a little bit over the past two or three seasons, though, gradually turning into more of a chucker - and that's where having a star receiver covered up some of the problems. You have to wonder whether whatever caused this injury had been affecting his throws for a while now.
    Not sure I agree with the “chucker” line, when the leading receiver was a slot guy. Still could nail the sideline routes. 5000+ yards......I’ll take that slippage.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Pipe down Field Marshall. Mike Vick and Landry Jones are all you need to know that it wasn’t just AB...lol.

Although it’s looking a lot like AB was to JuJu what some thought Wallace was to AB...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

All I know is Ben has two rings and AB had nothing to do with them. I’ll take Lombardi’s over 5,000 yard seasons any day.