Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Odds of making playoffs after 0-3 start: Not too good (1 percent?) - Now what?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Odds of making playoffs after 0-3 start: Not too good (1 percent?) - Now what?

It's not over till the fat lady sings!

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Odds of making playoffs after 0-3 start: Not too good (1 percent?) - Now what?

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    When the Magic were down 3-0 to the Rockets in the NBA Finals, a reporter asked Shaq what he thought now that the series was basically over, and he looked straight at him and said, "It's never over."

They lost in 4 games, but still. Come on, it's Shaq.
    I have an idea: Rather than writing the season off, let's just go ahead and let them play; see what happens? Couldn't really hurt at this point
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I have an idea: Rather than writing the season off, let's just go ahead and let them play; see what happens? Couldn't really hurt at this point
    What am I gonna do, refuse to let them play?

I'm just saying what I'm hoping for out of the rest of the season, knowing that the playoffs are only a very remote possibility. (And for that matter, that a high draft pick is a zero probability.)
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I'm just saying what I'm hoping for out of the rest of the season, knowing that the playoffs are only a very remote possibility. (And for that matter, that a high draft pick is a zero probability.)
    Well, we'd still get a high rd 2 pick which is similar in value to a high 1st rounder and we can cheer on the Titans and Jags to tank their seasons for better 4th and 5th round draft positions?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Hey we still control our own destiny and are only 2 games behind the division leader!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Hey we still control our own destiny and are only 2 games behind the division leader!
    https://youtu.be/zMRrNY0pxfM

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Likewise. What I'm hoping for is that the Steelers right the ship and play at a level that allows for a respectable season. They have the talent and experience to pull it off. I feel no need to manage my expectations, since I'm capable of handling disappointment. If the Steelers wind up sucking this year, so be it. It'll still be entertaining either way. The part I dread is the 'panic brigade', who cannot manage their emotions and tend to fly off the handle every year.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If the only enjoyable outcome is a superbowl victory, why even watch? I've never understood that take. It is what I hope for every year, but I do simply try and just enjoy it regardless -- don't always succeed. But it is a far better way to spend an afternoon than actual adult responsibilities.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

My thoughts right now....with the the records this team has had, with the talent this team has had, and now the start this team has......IF Dan was alive would Art and the rest of the crew still be around ? Just my thoughts, but I think the coaching has alot to do with these results and lack there of.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    What do you do as an owner? Got to wonder who does AJRII have to discuss issues with when the GM and coaches are involved? Dan Rooney had a football mind, not so sure about Art.
    Art II isn't close to Dan. You can not fire a bad owner, and he's the ma who hires the head coach and GM.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It's not over till the fat lady sings!
    If you want to look ate the glass half full, check our schedule. We play the rest of the AFC EAST, Arizona, and the Bengals and Browns 2x. This is 8 games vs some pretty bad football teams. Assuming we go 6-2-here we are that puts the team at 6-5 with five other games left. 9-7 isn't out of the question.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'm trying to remain optimistic but honestly I'm starting to feel that this is going to be a loooonng season. More than anything else, I don't have confidence in this coaching staff.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm trying to remain optimistic but honestly I'm starting to feel that this is going to be a loooonng season. More than anything else, I don't have confidence in this coaching staff.
    I don't either, just hoping the players can win in spite of them.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Here's another stat: We still play 8 games against teams with losing records, plus the Bills and Colts at home.

If Tomlin finally lets Rudolph carry the team we certainly can win these games and split the series with the Ravens.

Our schedule is incredibly easy. The only two almost-certain losses are in my mind the Rams in week 10 and one of the Ravens games.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Statistics are so negative. Let's ignore them and say everything is great.
    That's why you're here... to remind us all how bad they suck.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    Here's another stat: We still play 8 games against teams with losing records, plus the Bills and Colts at home.

If Tomlin finally lets Rudolph carry the team we certainly can win these games and split the series with the Ravens.

Our schedule is incredibly easy. The only two almost-certain losses are in my mind the Rams in week 10 and one of the Ravens games.
    The schedule has been incredibly easy with the exception of the Patriots and you could argue, talent for talent that the Steelers weren’t that far off from them...but the Steelers are 0-3...headed for 1-5...they have become one of the “easy teams” on the schedule...so to you, the schedule looks easy but in reality, it’s going to be very difficult.

@ Chargers and Cardinals are historically west coast losses.

Like I said at the beginning of the season, the ability to make the playoffs this season is going to come down to beating those west coast teams and winning those on the road. They’ve dropped two already and now have two more on the road...not promising with Tomlins history.

Bengals are no lock but they should win that game, if not, there’s no hope to win anything above 4 games max...

They’ll get slaughtered by the Ravens. They have no answer for Lamar Jackson or Mark Ingram.

Chargers on West Coast?

Maybe they win against Miami and Indy back-to-back?

Rams? Lol. Another west coast team loss.

@Cle, @Cin, Cle - they’d be extremely lucky to get 2 out of 3 of those but realistically, I don’t know...probably only one.

@ Arizona? Another west coast loss.

Buffalo -Josh Allen, Josh Brown, Devin Singletary? maybe a win at home.

Jets - should be a win, but then so should the Niners and Seahawks.

@Ravens - Another loss.

So what’s the pessimistic view? Maybe 6 wins at best...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

This linked article on how the Dolphins incredibly bad start projects them to be possibly the worst team of all NFL time includes this nugget on where the 2019 Steelers realistically may be heading

From 2002, the first year the NFL expanded to 32 teams, to 2018 there have been 76 0-3 teams, or roughly four per season. Most of those teams eventually turn things around, finishing with an average won-loss record of 5-11

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...m-nfl-history/

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    This linked article on how the Dolphins incredibly bad start projects them to be possibly the worst team of all NFL time includes this nugget on where the 2019 Steelers realistically may be heading

From 2002, the first year the NFL expanded to 32 teams, to 2018 there have been 76 0-3 teams, or roughly four per season. Most of those teams eventually turn things around, finishing with an average won-loss record of 5-11

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...m-nfl-history/
    The Dolphins play the Jets twice, I give them a good chance to at least split with them. TBH so far the Jets actually looked as bad as I've ever seen any team in the last couple weeks. Maybe they'll be a little tougher when Sam Darnold is back, but if not... 1-15.