Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Randy Fichtner

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Randy Fichtner

If he wasn't Ben's valet, he'd be working at Wal-Mart or working in plumbing.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: Randy Fichtner

Tomlin's keen eye for coaches.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

He’s just as good as Keith Butler.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Yep, no identity or flow. Just doing stuff out there.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    No, don't you see? The players are the problem.

It's not like we finally opened up the offense after the Niners took the lead, then the bad reads suddenly went away.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

What's really funny, is that most of you are correct that Fichtner is being revealed to be the emperor who has no clothes. It just isn't for the reasons you think.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Fichtners sins are lack of pre snap motion, should use stacks/bunches to get Juju a free release way more often, and the fact that each route on a given play seems to have nothing to do with the other routes. Don't see alot of attempts to move a safety out of a zone with one route and then run another route right into the vacated space. Only has to look at his own defense to watch a clinic on it each week. Finally, I don't see a lot of jabs early in the game to set up knockout punches later. Even Haley did that.

Honestly, at this point I think Haley would be better. Can't believe I'm saying that.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

All I gotta say about him (and Butler)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Honestly, at this point I think Haley would be better. Can't believe I'm saying that.
    Haley was better, but Ben didn't like him and he was fired. Ben ran the show on the Steelers. He ran the offense. He ran the gameplan. He was the coach.

This whole entire coaching staff was crutched on Ben, and with the crutch gone, they have to do some actual coaching and gameplanning. Ben wasn't even with the team today. They were a collection of figureheads, not coaches. Now they have to coach and gameplan.

They failed their first test miserably today.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Haley was better, but Ben didn't like him and he was fired. Ben ran the show on the Steelers. He ran the offense. He ran the gameplan. He was the coach.

This whole entire coaching staff was crutched on Ben, and with the crutch gone, they have to do some actual coaching. Ben wasn't even with the team today.

They failed their first test miserably.
    I actually thought the defensive gameplan was decent. At least at first glance. Slowed San Fran more than anyone else so far.

The lack of help through scheme on offense was bad.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

No, don't you see? The players are the problem.

It's not like we finally opened up the offense after the Niners took the lead, then the bad reads suddenly went away.

Rudolph converted a crossing pattern to JuJu 11 yards past the LOS that JuJu took the final 65 yards to the house, and a deep pass to a WR that was open deep by 10 yards. It's not like he did anything amazing.

Why can't you have a take on anything that isn't a wild overreaction? Everything you post is based on things that you completely blow out of proportion or you simply don't really know anything about. Even when I agree with you on certain things, you always go way over the top and discredit your own argument because you exaggerate everything and don't appear to be able to assess anything subjectively. Once you make up your mind on something, you twist everything you comment on with a silly bias to try to prove your position regardless of facts and with zero obectivity.

- - - Updated - - -

This whole entire coaching staff was crutched on Ben, and with the crutch gone, they have to do some actual coaching and gameplanning. Ben wasn't even with the team today. They were a collection of figureheads, not coaches. Now they have to coach and gameplan.

They failed their first test miserably today.

Wash....rinse.....repeat......

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Fichtner may actually be a worse Steelers OC than Arians was (yeah that bad)

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Rudolph converted a crossing pattern to JuJu 11 yards past the LOS that JuJu took the final 65 yards to the house, and a deep pass to a WR that was open deep by 10 yards. It's not like he did anything amazing.

Why can't you have a take on anything that isn't a wild overreaction? Everything you post is based on things that you completely blow out of proportion or you simply don't really know anything about. Even when I agree with you on certain things, you always go way over the top and discredit your own argument because you exaggerate everything and don't appear to be able to assess anything subjectively. Once you make up your mind on something, you twist everything you comment on with a silly bias to try to prove your position regardless of facts and with zero obectivity.

- - - Updated - - -

Wash....rinse.....repeat......
    Let's not forget the repeated hospital throws that stretched guys out both this week and last week. One of which knocked Vance out of the game.

The point I am making was when the Offense wasn't bumbling around with bubble screens or preoccupied with "Protecting Rudolph" he mysteriously started to play better and look like an NFL Quarterback and the O-Line stopped sucking. Unfortunately, it was too little too late, because by then the 49ers found their footing and the Defense was gassing out.

Even the announcers were calling out the crappy offensive gameplan of the Steelers. Fichtner played right into the hands of the Aggressive 49ers Defense, who could just tee up and attack without being honest. The absolute WORST possible thing you can do for an already struggling offense lacking an identity and starting a new quarterback in his first game.

But hey, anything to protect this coaching staff from criticism.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

already touched on this in the goat thread ( post 35 ) if anyone is interested no need to type it out again here
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Defense gave him 5 extra possessions, this game should have been put away if we had a half competent OC

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The point I am making was when the Offense wasn't bumbling around with bubble screens or preoccupied with "Protecting Rudolph" he mysteriously started to play better and look like an NFL Quarterback. Unfortunately, it was too little too late, because by then the 49ers found their footing and the Defense was gassing out.

Even the announcers were calling out the crappy offensive gameplan of the Steelers.

But hey, anything to protect this coaching staff from criticism.

I'm not trying to protect the coaching staff.

I have made it very clear on this message board that I am not a fan of Butler. I don't like a lot of his scheming and his inability to make adjustments in-game to stop what teams are doing to him. The personnel mismatches that he has on the field and the communication problems are also partly on him.

As for Fichtner, I still don't think we have a big enough sample to know. It's easy to criticize someone when a team struggles, but let's be honest about something. Last year he didn't have Le'Veon Bell. This year, he doesn't have Ben or AB, and the offensive line has played like shit. I understand criticism, but come on man.

I also never liked Haley. I like his offensive structure and how he develops a playbook. I hated how he called plays, and he frankly acted like an ass everywhere he went. He got tossed out of Cleveland after a cup of coffee for being an obnoxious asshole that was working to undermine other coaches for his own power. He's not even in the NFL. That doesn't exactly strengthen your point on Haley, does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Defense gave him 5 extra possessions, this game should have been put away if we had a half competent OC
    Needed either a brilliant OC or a decent QB. Team got neither today. Rudolph was slow and hesitant all day. Fichtner did a lot to protect the kid, but next to nothing to help him.

I'm not trying to protect the coaching staff.

I have made it very clear on this message board that I am not a fan of Butler. I don't like a lot of his scheming and his inability to make adjustments in-game to stop what teams are doing to him. The personnel mismatches that he has on the field and the communication problems are also partly on him.

As for Fichtner, I still don't think we have a big enough sample to know. It's easy to criticize someone when a team struggles, but let's be honest about something. Last year he didn't have Le'Veon Bell. This year, he doesn't have Ben or AB, and the offensive line has played like shit. I understand criticism, but come on man.

I also never liked Haley. I like his offensive structure and how he develops a playbook. I hated how he called plays, and he frankly acted like an ass everywhere he went. He got tossed out of Cleveland after a cup of coffee for being an obnoxious asshole that was working to undermine other coaches for his own power. He's not even in the NFL. That doesn't exactly strengthen your point on Haley, does it.
    I think what I am starting to "think" about Fichtner is that he can help an offense be good if it is already good. But he can't scheme around problems. I know that doesn't really sound like I am saying too much of anything, but I swear there is an idea in there somewhere.

Like he put Rudolph in a # of positions today where the stakes were low. There was a high % of success and a low % of failure. However, when the 49ers responded and started just walking everyone and their grandmother down to the LOS and turning their edge rushers lose, Fichtner didn't have a lot dialed up to help Rudolph.

Not having a FB or a TE likely hurt. But they needed to try something. Maybe lean into the 4-5 shotgun spread stuff even more? It is the only times Rudolph truly looked comfortable. Maybe try some 2 RB sets with Conner and Samuels and run screens right behind those pass rushing ends? I don't know.

Needed either a brilliant OC or a decent QB. Team got neither today. Rudolph was slow and hesitant all day. Fichtner did a lot to protect the kid, but next to nothing to help him.

I mostly agree with this.

I still defend Rudolph. I want to see more of him with better OL play and more creativity to get receivers open.

They MUST develop better route combinations to create space for receivers. All they have to do is watch the Patriots and how nearly every pass play has pick plays to create that separation. Everyone raves about Brady, but he is often throwing to guys that are wide open. Everyone wants to tell you that he is playing with shit talent, but they don't mention the great schemes he plays in. You can't say a quarterback has shit WRs and simultaneously have players running wide open all over the field. Of course coaching has a lot to do with that.

That's what makes football so interesting to talk about. There is a ton of information to understand, and there are so many unknowns because we don't have access to know play calls or what the progression is on each play called. It is also why it is so frustrating to talk about.

I mostly agree with this.

I still defend Rudolph. I want to see more of him with better OL play and more creativity to get receivers open.

They MUST develop better route combinations to create space for receivers. All they have to do is watch the Patriots and how nearly every pass play has pick plays to create that separation. Everyone raves about Brady, but he is often throwing to guys that are wide open. Everyone wants to tell you that he is playing with shit talent, but they don't mention the great schemes he plays in. You can't say a quarterback has shit WRs and simultaneously have players running wide open all over the field. Of course coaching has a lot to do with that.

That's what makes football so interesting to talk about. There is a ton of information to understand, and there are so many unknowns because we don't have access to know play calls or what the progression is on each play called. It is also why it is so frustrating to talk about.
    Agreed. I'm trying to hold off on coming down to much on Fichtner or Rudolph until more information comes out. Where there guys open that were missed? If so, then maybe it is on Rudolph. If no one was open and the niners were not running complex coverages, then it is on the coaches to get some better plays into the script to help the QB out.

Based on what I think I saw today, it is a little bit of both.

One other thing. Maybe the offensive approach has to change. Spend Monday with Rudolph and Roethlisberger and Fichtner talking about what Rudolph is most comfortable with. Then shelve everything in the book that isn't that. It will put a great deal of pressure on the entire offense to learn a new scheme on the fly, but that is what teams often have to do when the back-up QB becomes the starter.

Honestly, I would cue up Rudolph's college tape and just shamelessly steal that entire playbook. Even if it means that in 2020 you move away from it and back to something else to accommodate Roethlisberger's return.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Ben looked terrible in a game and a half. Rudolph honestly didn't look MUCH better in his game and a half so far. The OL is not playing well hence the run game has been bad. When defenses force you into a 1 dimension offense it usually looks bad. NO, I am not putting the blame on the OL. Not on the run game either. Just a bad looking offense all around. Dropped passes, turnovers, penalties, WTF play calling, it all works together to make this terrible unit so far. I sincerely hope this was the last week of this crap. 0-4 and I won't be able to log back on here and read all the fire everybody posts. I would have to quit.

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Shouldn't it be blatantly obvious the problem isnt the coordinators as much as its the Head Coach? Seriously its a total team issue, the defense allows long TD drives following the 2 TD drives by the offense and the defensive line isnt capable all in the same game. The Steelers set an NFL record after losing despite 4+ turnovers by the opposing team . The Steeler teams of the last 8 seasons are a carbon copy in deficiencies and the Head Coach is responsible.

Who hired those coordinators? Maybe he needs to go also

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Maybe it's too many Toledo players.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Who hired those coordinators? Maybe he needs to go also
    If you're talking about Tomlin, then that's not true.

Randy Fichtner was a Ben move, and Keith Butler was promoted because the Steelers didn't want to lose him and keep the Lebeau Defense. Tomlin never actually hired anyone.

He's a figurehead through and through.

One other thing. Maybe the offensive approach has to change. Spend Monday with Rudolph and Roethlisberger and Fichtner talking about what Rudolph is most comfortable with. Then shelve everything in the book that isn't that. It will put a great deal of pressure on the entire offense to learn a new scheme on the fly, but that is what teams often have to do when the back-up QB becomes the starter.

Honestly, I would cue up Rudolph's college tape and just shamelessly steal that entire playbook. Even if it means that in 2020 you move away from it and back to something else to accommodate Roethlisberger's return.

At this point, I don't care if they run more RPO stuff. They need to do something different.

I think more play action is required. It has been non-existent since Haley became OC. It has been a pet peeve of mine for years.

Run more plays with JuJu in the slot and move him all over the field. That gives him a 2-way go and makes it harder for teams to scheme against him.

If receivers aren't able to win one-on-one matchups against man coverage with a spread formation, dump it. Only show it when necessary. Rudolph would thrive in a New England style offense with tons of motion and pick plays. The quick passing game gets the ball out of his hand quickly, and the routes create quick separation. When an OL is struggling, that helps. Of course, Rudolph won't be able to get into plays to exploit defenses the way Brady can, but that style of attack might help him.

No matter what they do, I think the OL needs to get its shit together. None of this talk matters if they can't block anybody. You can't expect a young quarterback to overcome horrible offensive line play. The tackles haven't been good. Villanueva usually sucks for a game and then plays lights out. Not this year. The OTs are struggling.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I’m changing my name to FireFichtner!

At this point, I don't care if they run more RPO stuff. They need to do something different.

I think more play action is required. It has been non-existent since Haley became OC. It has been a pet peeve of mine for years.

Run more plays with JuJu in the slot and move him all over the field. That gives him a 2-way go and makes it harder for teams to scheme against him.

If receivers aren't able to win one-on-one matchups against man coverage with a spread formation, dump it. Only show it when necessary. Rudolph would thrive in a New England style offense with tons of motion and pick plays. The quick passing game gets the ball out of his hand quickly, and the routes create quick separation. When an OL is struggling, that helps. Of course, Rudolph won't be able to get into plays to exploit defenses the way Brady can, but that style of attack might help him.

No matter what they do, I think the OL needs to get its shit together. None of this talk matters if they can't block anybody. You can't expect a young quarterback to overcome horrible offensive line play. The tackles haven't been good. Villanueva usually sucks for a game and then plays lights out. Not this year. The OTs are struggling.
    All good talking points and ideas.

I think that Vance going out of the game early may have shuttered the play action before it got started. With just Grimble available, I can see why the team wanted to run 4+ WR sets. Especially when facing multiple 2nd and 3rd and longs. They didn't stay ahead of the chains all that much and once they did, the main TE threat was hurt. So you start moving away from offensive formations that provide play-action opportunities.

I believe that a bigger component of the gameplan would've been that TE screen right behind the pass rushing DE/OLB. But they likely didn't seem to have confidence or any desire to run it with Grimble. I fail to see why. Even if it doesn't work, force the 49ers to at least consider it. Bottom line, Vance getting hurt likely kicked the legs out of a portion of the gameplan. This is where Shoes can jump in and breathe fire at the poor plan for 2019 TE depth on the roster. I teed it right up for him!

The play of the OTs was difficult to watch. I do not know enough about the 49ers pass rush to know if they are scary good or just looked that way against the Steelers. Why there was no other players brought in to help chip on those pass rushers, I don't know. Maybe, again, we are seeing the disastrous results of McDonald and Nix being off the field. I don't know, because it is hard to see OL play during the TV broadcast. Or, at least for me it is. I do know that almost everything I feared about Feiler is kinda coming true. He simply isn't that good. If he keeps playing like this, I believe we are going to see Banner or Chuks get a chance.

The style of attack is truly infuriating. We have seen with both Ben and Rudolph at the helm, that simply lining skill position guys up and having them each run an isolated route isn't working. I realize they can't run Juju out of a stack on every play, but certainly maybe more than they are? As you point out, whether it is pick/rub routes or literally anything - why are so many of the routes not related to the other routes? Sometimes it is better to run 3 routes designed to get only one guy open then to try and get all three open. Especially with a rookie QB who isn't , at this point, going to get too deep into his progressions anyways.

Three weeks now and other offenses are killing the Steelers defense with route combinations designed to really only get one guy open. The Pats did it a bunch and the Seahawks were brilliant on the deep TD to Metcalf. Ran TEs and backs into the flat to hold the CB and LBs. Left Edmunds to defend Metcalf with no help over the top and Metcalf having the ability to bend the route in or out with open field in either direction. Puts the DB in a horrific situation. Meanwhile, the Steelers WR run routes that pin them against the sideline or leave them running into coverage (the first Rudolph pick today). If the ball doesn't come out on-time and highly accurate, then the route is basically over. Shockingly, Rudolph was not consistently on time or accurate.

A side note on the above. That is why I never bought the "AB doesn't really run the right routes" critique too much. Often he was allowed/trusted to run to open space and the veteran QB saw the same space. Where it was a problem was when the vet QB expected AB to run it a certain way and he didn't. But that is in the past, so I won't spend anymore time on it.

For the shotgun spread - I think it is a double edged sword. Clearly, that is where Rudolph is most comfortable and it is out of that type of formation that he looked the most decisive and aggressive. However, the design for those packages needs to improve. The TD to Juju was great. The formation made the 49ers show their alignment early. Then the rest of the routes cleared a path for Juju to run one on one to open space. Rudolph put it right on him and it was a huge play. The other long TD to DJ was them getting lucky that an ice cold back-up got smoked off the line and there was no over the top defender. And Rudolph could just throw the WR to space. I think what Fichtner et al need to look at is how on those plays did they dictate coverage and manipulate the safeties away from the primary option? Identify that and find ways to do it again and again. Unfortunately, in too many of the plays out of that formation, they aren't dictating coverage to the defense and are losing the match-ups.

I believe that forcing the defense into the coverages you want or expect pre-snap is going to be the entire key to the passing attack for the rest of 2019. Ben was capable of manipulating defenders post-snap with pump fakes, looking off and then coming back across, and other "I'm a damn good QB" stuff. Rudolph isn't there yet. He needs defenders cleared out of passing lanes for him because he isn't, yet, able to do it himself.

Is the rest of the team up to that challenge of supporting the development of Rudolph? Today, no. Moving forward? No idea.