Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Randy Fichtner

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Randy Fichtner

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Fichtners sins are lack of pre snap motion, should use stacks/bunches to get Juju a free release way more often, and the fact that each route on a given play seems to have nothing to do with the other routes. Don't see alot of attempts to move a safety out of a zone with one route and then run another route right into the vacated space. Only has to look at his own defense to watch a clinic on it each week. Finally, I don't see a lot of jabs early in the game to set up knockout punches later. Even Haley did that.

Honestly, at this point I think Haley would be better. Can't believe I'm saying that.
    That’s what I basically said last week. There’s little to no creativity in the offense, there’s no creativity to the route running, there’s no creativity in blocking scheme. It’s almost like they run a basic high school offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That’s what I basically said last week. There’s little to no creativity in the offense, there’s no creativity to the route running, there’s no creativity in blocking scheme. It’s almost like they run a basic high school offense.
    I find that so surprising. I think I read somewhere last year, remember when we were all "Fichtner Fans" because of the efficiency, that his Memphis offenses were pretty creative and above what your local high school team is running.

There has to be more to the story here. No way any of us find out until and if someone gets fired and decides to start talking to the press.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I find that so surprising. I think I read somewhere last year, remember when we were all "Fichtner Fans" because of the efficiency, that his Memphis offenses were pretty creative and above what your local high school team is running.

There has to be more to the story here. No way any of us find out until and if someone gets fired and decides to start talking to the press.
    Now that you say that, I feel like I remember something about that as well. I feel like I read something that movement and motion were a big part of his offense...both pre-snap and misdirection during the play, running was a big part. Spread formation. Ben would be calling a lot of plays and audibles.

Maybe not...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Now that you say that, I feel like I remember something about that as well. I feel like I read something that movement and motion were a big part of his offense...both pre-snap and misdirection during the play, running was a big part. Spread formation. Ben would be calling a lot of plays and audibles.

Maybe not...
    Ok. So either we are both crazy or that did happen. I guess either is totally possible.

Lol

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

All good talking points and ideas.

I think that Vance going out of the game early may have shuttered the play action before it got started. With just Grimble available, I can see why the team wanted to run 4+ WR sets. Especially when facing multiple 2nd and 3rd and longs. They didn't stay ahead of the chains all that much and once they did, the main TE threat was hurt. So you start moving away from offensive formations that provide play-action opportunities.

I believe that a bigger component of the gameplan would've been that TE screen right behind the pass rushing DE/OLB. But they likely didn't seem to have confidence or any desire to run it with Grimble. I fail to see why. Even if it doesn't work, force the 49ers to at least consider it. Bottom line, Vance getting hurt likely kicked the legs out of a portion of the gameplan. This is where Shoes can jump in and breathe fire at the poor plan for 2019 TE depth on the roster. I teed it right up for him!

The play of the OTs was difficult to watch. I do not know enough about the 49ers pass rush to know if they are scary good or just looked that way against the Steelers. Why there was no other players brought in to help chip on those pass rushers, I don't know. Maybe, again, we are seeing the disastrous results of McDonald and Nix being off the field. I don't know, because it is hard to see OL play during the TV broadcast. Or, at least for me it is. I do know that almost everything I feared about Feiler is kinda coming true. He simply isn't that good. If he keeps playing like this, I believe we are going to see Banner or Chuks get a chance.

The style of attack is truly infuriating. We have seen with both Ben and Rudolph at the helm, that simply lining skill position guys up and having them each run an isolated route isn't working. I realize they can't run Juju out of a stack on every play, but certainly maybe more than they are? As you point out, whether it is pick/rub routes or literally anything - why are so many of the routes not related to the other routes? Sometimes it is better to run 3 routes designed to get only one guy open then to try and get all three open. Especially with a rookie QB who isn't , at this point, going to get too deep into his progressions anyways.

Three weeks now and other offenses are killing the Steelers defense with route combinations designed to really only get one guy open. The Pats did it a bunch and the Seahawks were brilliant on the deep TD to Metcalf. Ran TEs and backs into the flat to hold the CB and LBs. Left Edmunds to defend Metcalf with no help over the top and Metcalf having the ability to bend the route in or out with open field in either direction. Puts the DB in a horrific situation. Meanwhile, the Steelers WR run routes that pin them against the sideline or leave them running into coverage (the first Rudolph pick today). If the ball doesn't come out on-time and highly accurate, then the route is basically over. Shockingly, Rudolph was not consistently on time or accurate.

A side note on the above. That is why I never bought the "AB doesn't really run the right routes" critique too much. Often he was allowed/trusted to run to open space and the veteran QB saw the same space. Where it was a problem was when the vet QB expected AB to run it a certain way and he didn't. But that is in the past, so I won't spend anymore time on it.

For the shotgun spread - I think it is a double edged sword. Clearly, that is where Rudolph is most comfortable and it is out of that type of formation that he looked the most decisive and aggressive. However, the design for those packages needs to improve. The TD to Juju was great. The formation made the 49ers show their alignment early. Then the rest of the routes cleared a path for Juju to run one on one to open space. Rudolph put it right on him and it was a huge play. The other long TD to DJ was them getting lucky that an ice cold back-up got smoked off the line and there was no over the top defender. And Rudolph could just throw the WR to space. I think what Fichtner et al need to look at is how on those plays did they dictate coverage and manipulate the safeties away from the primary option? Identify that and find ways to do it again and again. Unfortunately, in too many of the plays out of that formation, they aren't dictating coverage to the defense and are losing the match-ups.

I believe that forcing the defense into the coverages you want or expect pre-snap is going to be the entire key to the passing attack for the rest of 2019. Ben was capable of manipulating defenders post-snap with pump fakes, looking off and then coming back across, and other "I'm a damn good QB" stuff. Rudolph isn't there yet. He needs defenders cleared out of passing lanes for him because he isn't, yet, able to do it himself.

Is the rest of the team up to that challenge of supporting the development of Rudolph? Today, no. Moving forward? No idea.

Good observations.

Let's see if Fichtner comes up with anything new or makes adjustments to get Rudolph in more plays that he is comfortable in or can create more easy throws for him.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Here are some things to consider:

-There was a mixture of different alignments and formations. It wasn’t just “empty backfield, 5-wide” (which seems to be the only thing he called last season). We’re they good formations? IDK... but, at least it was something different.

-Watt gets the INT. Then... three screens!?!

-First 18 plays: 14 passes, 4 runs.

-The receivers dropped five passes... three that would have converted first downs.

-No Samuels. A young QB who needs to dump off, and the best pass-catching RB got zero snaps!?!

-McDonald went out. He was targeted more, and his presence might have made a difference (Grimble dropped one of the aforementioned passes).

-When Witherspoon went out, they attacked his replacement. Result: TD. You gotta give everyone (Fichtner, Rudolph) credit for that.

SUMMATION:
    As someone else said: Fichtner went from Ben’s caddy to handing Rudolph the wrong clubs.

As in: There are some subtle signs that this offense can indeed improve (as long as Fichtner “chooses the correct club”.)

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Samuels needs more touches.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Here are some things to consider:

-There was a mixture of different alignments and formations. It wasn’t just “empty backfield, 5-wide” (which seems to be the only thing he called last season). We’re they good formations? IDK... but, at least it was something different.

-Watt gets the INT. Then... three screens!?!

-First 18 plays: 14 passes, 4 runs.

-The receivers dropped five passes... three that would have converted first downs.

-No Samuels. A young QB who needs to dump off, and the best pass-catching RB got zero snaps!?!

-McDonald went out. He was targeted more, and his presence might have made a difference (Grimble dropped one of the aforementioned passes).

-When Witherspoon went out, they attacked his replacement. Result: TD. You gotta give everyone (Fichtner, Rudolph) credit for that.

SUMMATION:
    As someone else said: Fichtner went from Ben’s caddy to handing Rudolph the wrong clubs.

As in: There are some subtle signs that this offense can indeed improve (as long as Fichtner “chooses the correct club”.)
    Samuels got snaps just no touches ......

McDonald got the same amount of looks as Grimble ( 2 )

Running game was never established and no effort was made to do so .....

a few deep balls early in the game would have made a difference is my guess it backs a defense off a bit even if incomplete the willingness to make the effort puts it in the defenses mindset that its possible / likely to happen again which helps open up underneath to intermediate stuff as well as running lanes .....

all this talk about Ben's caddy and handing Mason the wrong clubs is fine ( if you believe ) he has the right clubs in his bag to begin with and to be honest I am not sure he owns them to put in the bag ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Member Array title="Blast Furnace is on a distinguished road">

This coaching staff is just LAZY! They can't even look at themselves objectively to determine their deficiencies - and no one on the team does it for them either. It has started at Tomlin and has worked itself down. The whole FO needs burned to the ground and rebuilt!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Running game was never established and no effort was made to do so .....

a few deep balls early in the game would have made a difference is my guess it backs a defense off a bit even if incomplete the willingness to make the effort puts it in the defenses mindset that its possible / likely to happen again which helps open up underneath to intermediate stuff as well as running lanes .....

all this talk about Ben's caddy and handing Mason the wrong clubs is fine ( if you believe ) he has the right clubs in his bag to begin with and to be honest I am not sure he owns them to put in the bag ...
    In The Athletic this morning (paywalled) Mark Kaboly says teams will play 8 in the box until Rudolph has continuing success going deep to force the safety out

The Steelers won’t be able to run until Mason Rudolph does something about it

https://theathletic.com/1232648/2019...hing-about-it/

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blast Furnace View Post
    This coaching staff is just LAZY! They can't even look at themselves objectively to determine their deficiencies - and no one on the team does it for them either. It has started at Tomlin and has worked itself down. The whole FO needs burned to the ground and rebuilt!
    Yeah....that's a good solution.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    In The Athletic this morning (paywalled) Mark Kaboly says teams will play 8 in the box until Rudolph has continuing success going deep to force the safety out

The Steelers won’t be able to run until Mason Rudolph does something about it

https://theathletic.com/1232648/2019...hing-about-it/
    Did he say that until Villanueva and Feiler stop playing like matadors in pass protection, he wont be able to have time to throw anything deep? AV was getting beat almost as bad as he did against the Patriots week 1. Didn't help out. And we know pass protection isn't Feilers strong suit, but he lost the battle on the edge often.

McDonald can't get touches from the locker room.

There were no deep passes early because the first 2 drives basically started and ended in the red zone. Clearly no one trusts Rudolph to throw in the compressed areas of the field. And the rest of the game showed why - he does not get the ball out quick enough yet.

Rudolph throw over five yards complete just twice. He was bad and the WRs dropped a few. Fichtner can draw up anything and everything, but this passing chart documents poor QB play. Or perhaps a raw QB harassed by a pass rush. Something - https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/st...69562019450880

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

There were no deep passes early because the first 2 drives basically started and ended in the red zone. Clearly no one trusts Rudolph to throw in the compressed areas of the field. And the rest of the game showed why - he does not get the ball out quick enough yet.

Rudolph throw over five yards complete just twice. He was bad and the WRs dropped a few. Fichtner can draw up anything and everything, but this passing chart documents poor QB play. Or perhaps a raw QB harassed by a pass rush. Something - https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/st...69562019450880

Thanks for posting this. I think what most fans wonder, is why can commentator Trent Green advocate multiple times that Rudolph should take a shot deep to back off the coverage and it took over half the game for that to happen? I agree that pass protection wasn't there often and maybe he didn't want to take the deep shot or Fichtner didn't want him taking the deep shot.

I'm guessing that a more experienced OC or a guy that knows the QB position like Trent Green, would have called a play and told Rudolph to take a shot deep earlier in the game, in order to back the safeties off. I think it was in the 3rd when Rudolph threw the first deep incompletion....and commentator Green said something like "that's OK, at least they know you will throw it deep".

I don't think Fichtner is used to coaching his QB on stuff like that. Maybe Steelers should hire a QB coach that knows what he is doing, as I don't think Rudolph had any help from somebody of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I think what most fans wonder, is why can commentator Trent Green advocate multiple times that Rudolph should take a shot deep to back off the coverage and it took over half the game for that to happen? I agree that pass protection wasn't there often and maybe he didn't want to take the deep shot or Fichtner didn't want him taking the deep shot.

I'm guessing that a more experienced OC or a guy that knows the QB position like Trent Green, would have called a play and told Rudolph to take a shot deep earlier in the game, in order to back the safeties off. I think it was in the 3rd when Rudolph threw the first deep incompletion....and commentator Green said something like "that's OK, at least they know you will throw it deep".

I don't think Fichtner is used to coaching his QB on stuff like that. Maybe Steelers should hire a QB coach that knows what he is doing, as I don't think Rudolph had any help from somebody of experience.
    That's the thing that can not be answered right now. Did Rudolph not go deep because he wasn't told to or given plays that allowed it OR did he not go deep because he was hesitant and lacked aggressiveness except on wide open looks? Almost impossible to tell with the TV camera angles.

That's the thing that can not be answered right now. Did Rudolph not go deep because he wasn't told to or given plays that allowed it OR did he not go deep because he was hesitant and lacked aggressiveness except on wide open looks? Almost impossible to tell with the TV camera angles.
    True, but it sounds like to me that if Trent Green was the QB coach, he would have walked over to Rudolph and said "next series we are going 3WR, 9-7-9, so look off the safety and take a deep shot at the 9". I don't think that happened at all.

True, but it sounds like to me that if Trent Green was the QB coach, he would have walked over to Rudolph and said "next series we are going 3WR, 9-7-9, so look off the safety and take a deep shot at the 9". I don't think that happened at all.
    That is a good point. I think the next game will be telling. If it is the same high percentage low risk passing attack, then coaches. If not and Rudolph still can't hit it, then its Rudolph and the o-line. Goodness gracious they were bad.

I think there is room for improvement. No matter the play call, Rudolph has to get the ball out quicker. He was late on screens. That illegal man downfield on AV was likely because AV has a clock in his head for the ball getting out and Rudolph went past it.

I think there is a TON of space to run down Fichtner. But I saw nothing that encouraged me from Rudolph other than attitude. Kid has all the compete in the world. It was one game, on the road and against what appeared to be a decent to pretty good defense while getting zero help from his offensive line. So I am not going to pass too harsh a judgement on him, but he didn't put a lot of good out there.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Blast Furnace View Post
    This coaching staff is just LAZY! The whole FO needs burned to the ground and rebuilt!
    Talk about LAZY?! That’s a very unoriginal, unconstructive, solution.....and for your first post!?

That is a good point. I think the next game will be telling. If it is the same high percentage low risk passing attack, then coaches. If not and Rudolph still can't hit it, then its Rudolph and the o-line. Goodness gracious they were bad.

I think there is room for improvement. No matter the play call, Rudolph has to get the ball out quicker. He was late on screens. That illegal man downfield on AV was likely because AV has a clock in his head for the ball getting out and Rudolph went past it.

I think there is a TON of space to run down Fichtner. But I saw nothing that encouraged me from Rudolph other than attitude. Kid has all the compete in the world. It was one game, on the road and against what appeared to be a decent to pretty good defense while getting zero help from his offensive line. So I am not going to pass too harsh a judgement on him, but he didn't put a lot of good out there.
    I agree, I saw lack of accuracy/timing with WR's and what looked like either nobody open when he had protection or no protection.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I found myself at one point hoping that the Niners would score and take the lead so that the Steelers would take the handcuffs off of Rudolph. I absolutely HATE Fichtner as the OC. He needs to move on to his life's work. Butler is bad, but this guy is even worse.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Three weeks now and other offenses are killing the Steelers defense with route combinations designed to really only get one guy open. The Pats did it a bunch and the Seahawks were brilliant on the deep TD to Metcalf. Ran TEs and backs into the flat to hold the CB and LBs. Left Edmunds to defend Metcalf with no help over the top and Metcalf having the ability to bend the route in or out with open field in either direction. Puts the DB in a horrific situation. Meanwhile, the Steelers WR run routes that pin them against the sideline or leave them running into coverage (the first Rudolph pick today). If the ball doesn't come out on-time and highly accurate, then the route is basically over. Shockingly, Rudolph was not consistently on time or accurate.
    This one is on Butler. He's being incredibly aggressive with the pass rush - too much so, IMO. I'm seeing 5 or more coming on every snap. If they get to the QB, it's fantastic, but the cost is leaving wide open holes for crossing routes or in the soft zone between LB and secondary. Those holes are huge when your linebackers are all rushing the passer all the time.

I'm all for being aggressive and getting after the quarteback, and watching Garoppolo have his ribs cracked is a joy to watch - but it's high risk / high reward, and lately yielding huge gainers. Butler needs to pick his spots a little more judiciously on when to bring the house.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

The passing game didn’t kill us, it was the running game. Sure Jimmy G got his throws, but if they weren’t constantly on 2nd and 2 after every 1st down run, Jimmy G would have not fared as well. We desperately miss VW, that is for sure.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I found myself at one point hoping that the Niners would score and take the lead so that the Steelers would take the handcuffs off of Rudolph. I absolutely HATE Fichtner as the OC. He needs to move on to his life's work. Butler is bad, but this guy is even worse.
    Ready to start a ‘Tony Romo for OC’ thread?

That’s crazy

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

That’s crazy
    just plain bad
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I'll trade you guys Jon Gruden and Gregg Olson, straight up for Tomlin and Fichtner???? Please??????

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Ready to start a ‘Tony Romo for OC’ thread?
    I honestly think Romo would be a good OC, the guy knows his stuff. Does he have any coaching experience though? Having know-how might make you a good analyst, but coaching involves game planning and such. Experience is always a factor here I'd imagine.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Did he say that until Villanueva and Feiler stop playing like matadors in pass protection, he wont be able to have time to throw anything deep? AV was getting beat almost as bad as he did against the Patriots week 1. Didn't help out. And we know pass protection isn't Feilers strong suit, but he lost the battle on the edge often.

I made this exact point earlier in the thread. The tackles need to play better...period. It's hard to throw deep when you are getting quick pressure.

I'm not absolving Rudolph of everything, but he is young and inexperienced. He needs his teammates to raise the level of their games to help him succeed, and coaches need to find what works best for him and what plays and throws he is most comfortable with. Start with that, let him get some confidence, and then start adding to his playbook. Someone needs to get in this kids ear and start explaining how to move safeties with his eyes. Explain and teach with a hands-on approach so he can not only learn the craft, but understand why certain things need to be done and why they work on defenders.

I think you are right. Someone needs to be in his ear and really working with him. The position is so hard to play, even for extremely talented people. Rudolph needs to be put in a position to succeed. He took his first steps Sunday. He found out that it is different when a defense has a week to prepare for him. Now we'll see how he responds, and how the coaching staff helps facilitate his progress.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I made this exact point earlier in the thread. The tackles need to play better...period. It's hard to throw deep when you are getting quick pressure.

I'm not absolving Rudolph of everything, but he is young and inexperienced. He needs his teammates to raise the level of their games to help him succeed, and coaches need to find what works best for him and what plays and throws he is most comfortable with. Start with that, let him get some confidence, and then start adding to his playbook. Someone needs to get in this kids ear and start explaining how to move safeties with his eyes. Explain and teach with a hands-on approach so he can not only learn the craft, but understand why certain things need to be done and why they work on defenders.

I think you are right. Someone needs to be in his ear and really working with him. The position is so hard to play, even for extremely talented people. Rudolph needs to be put in a position to succeed. He took his first steps Sunday. He found out that it is different when a defense has a week to prepare for him. Now we'll see how he responds, and how the coaching staff helps facilitate his progress.
    Yeah, the CBS broadcast team was correct in that one of the keys was for the 49ers to pressure Rudolph. A young QB like that facing NFL pressure in his first start would like to have a "security blanket" so to speak. We would think it was gonna be an O line with 3 pro bowlers, but AV looked more like professional bowler Big Ernie McCracken on Sunday. Also, a TE that could catch would be nice to have, but he had Grimble to play with, or a running game, but none of it was there and pressure was getting to Rudolph often.

Either way, they still had a chance when SF fumbled it in the red zone with 6 min left and if the Steelers grind out a TD drive on that, then we would be singing a different tune here today.