Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goats vs Niners

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Goats vs Niners

Coaching (not shocking) and James Conner are the goats.

Since 2016, teams have not won turning the ball over four or more times. The 49ers won despite five turnovers. The Steelers only manage 6 points off of four turnovers from the 49ers.

Shackle Rudolph with a bullshit conservative offense until a deficit happens. Fichtner threw him into tough positions all day. He’s a horrible garbage coordinator. Huge Props to Rudolph for stepping up in the second half.

Defense is improved a little, but still not there.

James Conner was the death blow for this game.

0-3. A complete coaching fubar typical of Mike Tomlin and crew.

Junior Member Array title="Rollers is an unknown quantity at this point">

Re: Goats vs Niners

Couldn't agree more but Barron sucks as well. All day and especially the penalty at the end.

Connor sucks big-time. Fumbler, the NFL knows it and they go for the ball when he is in.

Senior Member Array title="The Bark is a jewel in the rough"> The Bark's Avatar

Fichtner. Play-calling early on was abysmal and way too conservative. Getting the ball that many times in the opponent's backyard on turnovers and coming up with only field goals was a harbinger of defeat.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Game balls 'n' goats: San Francisco

Game balls: TJ Watt and Minkah Fitzpatrick. Goat: James Conner. Dude's been coughing up the ball in critical situations for years now. He still hasn't learned.

A hard- fought game. The D started on fire and got gassed. The O started nowhere and developed over the course of the game.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

49ers tried to give us this game 5 times and james connor decided to give it back

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Coaching (not shocking) and James Conner are the goats.

Since 2016, teams have not won turning the ball over four or more times. The 49ers won despite five turnovers. The Steelers only manage 6 points off of four turnovers.

Shackle Rudolph until a deficit happens. Fichtner threw him into tough positions all day. He’s garbage. Huge Props to Rudolph for stepping up in the second half.

Defense is improved a little, but still not there.

James Conner was the death blow for this game.

0-3. A complete coaching fubar typical of Mike Tomlin and crew.
    Lets not forget the deplorable O Line play for most of the game ...

this team is missing Mike Munchak in the worst kind of way
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The OT's got owned all day. AV and Feiler owe Rudolph an apology. Bosa and Buckner just worked those two all day.

Barron for his continued patented run around in a looping path to some random spot on the field and look around and wonder why the other team isn't punting.

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

1. The run defense is garage
    2. The Steelers coaching is non-existent
    3. The Steelers have NO run game...none
    4. The the Secondary is 3 players short of being good

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Goats: Tomlin. Rah-rah fans making excuses to protect Tomlin.

Heroes: Watt, Schuster, Diontae Johnson
    Hater = Realist

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Goats vs Niners

Game Balls - Defense (Minkah, Watt, Tuitt)

Goat - Coaches, O-Line, Receivers - stopping on routes, dropping passes, not getting open.

Conner’s fumble had very little to do with the loss in the big picture. Sure it’s st the worst time and makes for an easy goat but If the O-Line does their job, that game is a blowout in favor of the Steelers...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Not much the play-calling could have changed. Rudolph either didn't have time or locked onto his first read all day. His head never moved, except to escape the pass rush!

Rudolph has some good tools but is a LONG way from credibly threatening a good NFL defense.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Barron is one of the worst players I've seen.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Junior Member Array title="Rollers is an unknown quantity at this point">

Bottom line Connor holds on to the ball we win. His fumble sealed it for us. That and Barron's penalty. But this is all on Connor, no doubt.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Goats: playcalling on offense.
    James Conner fumble.
    Baron penalty on 3 and 17 giving them new set of downs.

Heroes.
    minka Fitzpatrick
    TJ Watt
    Devin Bush

honorable mention Mason Rudolph, I think he has the goods to be a starter in the NFL, the ability to call his own plays are not here yet so he will have to make work what ever play comes from the sideline. He played very well after that INT. I wish conner didn't pop the ball out because I felt we were about to ice the game.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I know he beat cancer and stuff, but Conner has not been impressive since midseason last year.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I know he beat cancer and stuff, but Conner has not been impressive since midseason last year.
    But Bell only averaged 3.5 YPC...

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Not much the play-calling could have changed. Rudolph either didn't have time or locked onto his first read all day. His head never moved, except to escape the pass rush!

Rudolph has some good tools but is a LONG way from credibly threatening a good NFL defense.
    I don't know. He looked pretty good when he was allowed to throw longer than five yards.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

I don't know. He looked pretty good when he was allowed to throw longer than five yards.
    We can talk more about this when some film breakdowns hit the internet this upcoming week. But Rudolph only looked good when the following things happened:

1. Steelers went into shotgun and spread the 49'ers out. Forced the 49'ers into man coverage with little deep safety help.
    2. Rudolph could then hit his first read on the fly and lead him to open grass. This, to me, is what it looked like happened on the Juju and DJ touchdowns.

Rudolph looked like a deer in headlights when any of this happened:
    1. His first read was covered. He barely moved his head all game. I hope his eyes were moving, but he looked like a one read and "oh crap' QB all day.
    2. He was almost totally hesitant to throw into any small windows. The one time he did, he got picked.
    3. If his first read was not open, he looked hesitant and indecisive. Not surprising he is a rookie QB.

Rudolph showed some positives. But he also looked like exactly what he is - a shotgun spread rookie QB experiencing growing pains moving to the NFL.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    But Bell only averaged 3.5 YPC...
    1.9 YPC on 18 carries today.

EDIT: Oh, and a year's suspension the next time he gets nailed for weed. Think the "aspiring rapper" gave that up? Yeah, me neither.

big ol' smelly goat: 3rd down defense and offense.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Do you understand that there is a progression on every play for a quarterback to follow? The OC isn't necessarily having every play call have a one yard pass pattern as the first read.

I agree that the play calling felt conservative early, but we don't really know for certain what the first read was on many of those passes. He also didn't have time to go through his progressions far too often. This isn't an indictment on Rudolph. It's his first NFL start. I'm not going to beat the guy up. Let's see how he reacts and how he progresses.

The offensive line has been touted as a powerful force for several years now, but they don't live up to the billing. The OL stunk today...period. They have for most of this year.

For the record, they underachieved while Munchak was still coaching here. They haven't been able to get a yard in the running game when it matters for years now.

James Connor can't fumble there. He has a history of fumbling in big moments. He needs to address that going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Do you understand that there is a progression on every play for a quarterback to follow? The OC isn't necessarily having every play call have a one yard pass pattern as the first read.

I agree that the play calling felt conservative early, but we don't really know for certain what the first read was on many of those passes. He also didn't have time to go through his progressions far too often. This isn't an indictment on Rudolph. It's his first NFL start. I'm not going to beat the guy up. Let's see how he reacts and how he progresses.

The offensive line has been touted as a powerful force for several years now, but they don't live up to the billing. The OL stunk today...period. They have for most of this year.

For the record, they underachieved while Munchak was still coaching here. They haven't been able to get a yard in the running game when it matters for years now.

James Connor can't fumble there. He has a history of fumbling in big moments. He needs to address that going forward.
    I will totally back off this statement if and when more information comes out, but Rudolph I don't think went beyond a second read all day. If his first read wasn't really open, he didn't really have a plan. Which is totally typical rookie QB stuff.

Rookie QBs can make coaches look really bad. I think too many on the Steelers focused internet got way out over their skis on the "Rudolph will actually be better because of x" narrative. He looked like a hesitant and uncertain first time QB against a pass rush that beat his o-line like a drum all day.

Junior Member Array title="Passhappy is an unknown quantity at this point">

Lets not forget the deplorable O Line play for most of the game ...

this team is missing Mike Munchak in the worst kind of way

Rookie QBs can make coaches look really bad. I think too many on the Steelers focused internet got way out over their skis on the "Rudolph will actually be better because of x" narrative. He looked like a hesitant and uncertain first time QB against a pass rush that beat his o-line like a drum all day.
    And the excuses for the coaching staff just roll on in...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Goat- Ben for calling the plays from his easy chair and relaying them to Fichtner.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

.Rudolph showed some positives. But he also looked like exactly what he is - a shotgun spread rookie QB experiencing growing pains moving to the NFL.
    Who since he was drafted did not get reps in practice as the third string QB during the regular season last season and has not benefited from having a QB coach since the Steelers decided that was unnecessary once Fichtner was promoted to OC

But he played about as I expected - some glimmers of hope but not someone who clearly will be a franchise QB based on a very limited body of work - hopefully we will have a better idea with his play in the next three months assuming he avoids missing significant time due to injury

Goats were Conner, the OL (which had problems with run blocking last year even with Munchak coaching them up), and Barron

Watt and Fitzpatrick looked like two players for the defense to build on as the DL has disappointed this season

And the excuses for the coaching staff just roll on in...
    So how is an opinion based statement on what I believe I saw for the entire afternoon an excuse for the coaching staff?

Both OT's got worked and the QB couldn't get the ball out on time consistently. That is a thing that happened.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I will totally back off this statement if and when more information comes out, but Rudolph I don't think went beyond a second read all day. If his first read wasn't really open, he didn't really have a plan. Which is totally typical rookie QB stuff.

I just don't want to crush a young guy starting his first NFL game. I think he missed some throws and took checkdowns sooner than you would like, but his supporting cast has to help him more.

I agree with you about people getting giddy a little too quickly about Rudolph. We still don't know that much yet.

Patience has limited availability at fan message boards.

Far too many here are willing to start shoveling dirt on Big Ben. It's very premature IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I just don't want to crush a young guy starting his first NFL game. I think he missed some throws and took checkdowns sooner than you would like, but his supporting cast has to help him more.

I agree with you about people getting giddy a little too quickly about Rudolph. We still don't know that much yet.

Patience has limited availability at fan message boards.

Far too many here are willing to start shoveling dirt on Big Ben. It's very premature IMO.
    I was and am pleased with the game today. I didn't think they would even be able to keep it close. The defense still makes mistakes, but they played fast and attacked the ball all day long. Nelson almost got a pick to seal the game.

The offense was also better than I thought.

The only truly disappointing part was Feiler and AV getting beat so frequently. Maybe Bosa and Buckner are just that good? I don't know.