Thread: Steelers Rookie Diontae Johnson A Starter From Here On Out

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers Rookie Diontae Johnson A Starter From Here On Out

The Pittsburgh Steelers won't just head into Week 3's tilt versus the San Francisco 49ers with new quarterback Mason Rudolph. The receiver corps is also getting a revised pecking order.

Rookie receiver Diontae Johnson told 93.7 The Fan's Josh Rowntree on Friday that coaches told him he's a starter "from here on out."

With Johnson set to join the starters, he'll likely see more time on the outside along with James Washington, which should allow JuJu Smith-Schuster a bigger role out of the slot, where he's strived throughout his career.

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...timizedFor=AMP
    Last edited by stillers4me; 09-21-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Re: Steelers Rookie Diontae Johnson A Starter “From Here On Out”

Tomlin is seeing his job flash before his eyes. He's starting to make some bold and ballsy moves to try to save it.

I like this trend.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Good throw him into the fire and we shall see if The Drake was right about him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    Tomlin is seeing his job flash before his eyes. He's starting to make some bold and ballsy moves to try to save it.

I like this trend.
    Agree The Steelers are showing some balls lately but this is just a smart move. Not that ballsy starting your fairly high pick rookie over the likes of Montcrief and Holton.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Tomlin has never felt a seat that’s hot. They’re just trying to win games and Moncrief loses them.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Tomlin has never felt a seat that’s hot. They’re just trying to win games and Moncrief loses them.
    True and if Rudolph sucks and so do the Steelers this season he will get a free ride this year since Ben is out for the season. So Tomlin is safe for at least another year.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Maybe they can use Washington on some other routes, so far he has one . . .

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I like this trend.
    More like Tomlin no longer has an inherited franchise quarterback to lean on and make happy. Ben liked Moncrief, even though he sucks. You can't say "No" to Ben, so Moncrief still plays.

With Ben out of the picture, Tomlin is completely running the show and the team the way he wants to. No Wednesdays off. No sniping at the coordinators, no more politics. It's Tomlin's Team.

Wether this is a good or bad thing is yet to be seen.
    Last edited by Edman; 09-20-2019 at 06:49 PM.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Do I read this as "Moncrief is benched"?
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Time for the Toledo guys to shine: DJ and Olaqwerty

One thing is for sure that 3rd pick for Johnson is looking pretty good now. Business is Boomin for Diontae!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Do I read this as "Moncrief is benched"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Steelers Rookie Diontae Johnson A Starter From Here On Out

Albert Breer (or some NFL film analyst) was dissecting how well Johnson has plays. The ball hasn’t come his way (yet), but his release off of the line is amazing.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

We fans keep getting teased by the potential of Washington and DJ, I really hope they bring it to Sunday soon! Someone needs to step it up, I’m jealous watching KC’s receivers step it up.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Stopped on his route twice which created two failed 3rd downs.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I like this trend.
    Agreed. Tomlin is certainly coaching for his job at this point. At least he should be.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Stopped on his route twice which created two failed 3rd downs.
    He redeemed himself.

Hopefully he continues getting better.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    He redeemed himself.

Hopefully he continues getting better.
    He burned his guy big time on that long TD